J Sainsbury

www.j-sainsbury.co.uk

J Sainsbury Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Mike Coupe

Pros
  • Staff discount of 10% and on occasion it goes up to a max of 20% for couple days(in 12 reviews)

• Job is varied, discount card is great/(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The team leaders and managers skulk round the isles and watch every move you make(in 12 reviews)

• I haven't noticed any work life balance policies applied(in 4 reviews)

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Watford, ON

ProsGood pay, great bonus, nice work culture.

ConsHardly any. Kinda faraway from transport links. But that is me, not driving.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more free food!

Can't complain

Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood working environment, support from senior staff is always at hand. A generally relaxed atmosphere as far as retailers go.

ConsYou don't get a discount card for six months - poor employee bonuses. Also it can be difficult to book preferred holidays.

Convenience Store

Cashier (Current Employee) Solihull, England (UK)

ProsNever felt intimidated about losing my job, comfortable with 90% of the people I work with at my store.

ConsAs with any retail job (I assume) it is very difficult to get time ff at short notice, but I can try and pull a few strings and guilt trip my manager or ask for a favour.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun people, horrible management, mundane work but decent pay for what it was

Sales Assistant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsIt's decent money for simple work and it's really easy to get along with staff it's more like a family atmosphere. Very good union, who are supportive and worth every penny.

ConsBad tempered management, if they don't like you, bad treatment will persist for the duration of your time there because they take things very personally. A lot of management usually HR and dept. manager sleeping together, this happened twice in my store, this leads to a real us against them culture, because HR are supposed to be impartial to an extent but instead their judgement is clouded because their getting it on instead of being professional. No internal progression because the current management just keep the position for 10/20 yrs +, my manager had been there for 40yrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor store culture, just get rid of most of the managers, some of them can barely speak English, lack common sense and are far too authoritarian.

Varied and interesting but not much room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork-life balance, fun and talented people, interesting, diverse

ConsNo career progression, low salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementShould be less hierarchal

Lost the plot!!!

Team Leader/CTS (Former Employee) Coventry, England (UK)

ProsPleasant colleagues in store until mystery shopper score comes down............

ConsNot so pleasant senior Management especially when mystery shopper result comes down.................

Advice to Senior ManagementGet man management skills for senior management

Undervalued

NightShift (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

Pros10% discount but then you can buy cheaper elsewhere. Can't think of any other Pros.

ConsExpected to do work in less time than even their Productivity figures suggests. You are told you are valued and they reward you but they are just empty words. Made to feel like a liar when phoning in sick. Pay is poor, not much above minimum wage...if they valued their staff they would pay more instead of quoting it's the industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe nice. Stop acting like meglomaniacs...you work in a Supermarket!! It's poorly payed no matter how much you hype it up, so, don't expect too much from those below you.

Great for working a long side college

Cashier (Current Employee)

ProsFriendly staff.
    Staff discount
    save as you earn scheme
    lots of opportunity to get involved for charity fundraising

ConsMoney
    lack of career development
    Disciplinary for one day off sick

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on staff who would like to develop

Customer service Assistant

Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsGood bunch of people

Consits boring
    team leaders are lazy

Advice to Senior Managementstaff need to be better rewarded

General Assistant

General Assistant (Current Employee) Huntingdon, England (UK)

ProsSome good colleagues and managers
    Good communication of company activities
    Very helpful in moving stores when I was at university

ConsA lot of management/ colleagues that are there for an easy ride, making the workload for others higher
    Training / monthly briefings can feel a little childish

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!