J.B. Hunt Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
3.2

J.B. Hunt President, CEO, and Director John N. Roberts III
John N. Roberts III

Pros
  • Great Management Experience, Pay is Decent, Good Benefits (in 8 reviews)

• Learning experience and good work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Needs to seriously consider the employees' work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Working long hours when necessary with and without rewards (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent place to work for

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

Challenging fast paced environment. Enjoyable.

Cons

Salary needs to be a little more competitive

Account Manager

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

Has a good vision of the future and its goals.

Cons

The work/life balance can take a tole on an individual, but this various on location, not for all locations.

Intermodal Driver

I have been working at J.B. Hunt

Pros

The convenience of never being no more than 4 hrs from home! No touch freight. New Trucks are a plus as there is nothing older than 3 yrs.

Cons

You're just a number! FLEET Managers are a dime a dozen here. Just when you think you have one trained, they switch them out and bring in fresh meet!

Bring up the pay, and more people will stay! Do something with the crappie benefits too!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Job, Long hours

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fair Compensation, Vacation, Full Benefits

Cons

Expected to Work Long hours and always on call

Work-life balance needs to be imporved

Glad I'm gone. Brokerage division

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are good people inside the company.

Cons

Hours vs. Pay do not equal up. 7 days on call and 12 hr days is the norm. The internal structure of leadership is a joke here. Each year we as a company made more money but the "bonus" pay to the employee side went down each year I worked at Hunt. There was never an answer as to why only the "well just work harder" idea.

I'm pretty sure this company had a flavor of the week wheel they would spin each Monday and spend the week complaining about whatever the wheel landed on..... This keeps them from having to have a thought of their own.

Look at the turnover. You can't treat people like indentured servants and expect them to keep caring that your bottom line is growing while their bottom line is getting worked off.

Take advice from the people that are doing the jobs instead of the talking heads who haven't been in the trenches for years and have no real clue of what the market is doing.

Or just keep doing what you are doing.... I don't know that J.B. would be very happy with where is company is now compared to the culture and environment he created way back when with those rice hulls.

Pays the bills

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learning experience and good work/life balance

Cons

Male dominated industry and not much advancement opportunities

Career planning and advancement support to employees

It was awful working as CSR.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good compensation. Work in groups. You have peak hours and some down time.

Cons

Training was short only observing. The person who trained was always judging others mistakes. It was an open where everyone works in cubicle. Trainer was pointing out how stupid some people were. She will discuss errors by others with co-workers.

It's very unprofessional to talk about previous employers, so it's hearing co-workers drawing your name so openly.

Trapped by competence

Former Employee - Delta Center  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Delta Center in Lowell, AR (US)

I worked at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great bonuses. Nice office. Good hours.

Cons

If you are good at your job, have a skillset they need, and work in the delta center, there you shall stay...

I enjoy my job and the people are wonderful

Current Employee - Account Representative  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Lowell, AR (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My manager listens to me, I work in tight knit group people and we all cooperate and help one another, we have a common goal. I am allowed to take on additional projects to keep me busy, interested, and challenged. Plenty of room to grow if you start early in your career, and are willing to change departments every few years. The Account Representative position gives you the opportunity to build relationships with customers, and is very rewarding.

Cons

Very strict attendance policy for the position ofAccount Representative in Van Marketing Division. I see more people terminated for being consistently a few minutes late than for being subpar at the job. Do not stay in one position for more than 2 years if you want to move ahead in the organization and make J.B.Hunt a successful career. The Account Representative position takes about a year to learn and be comfortable doing. It is a very stressful job.

I am rated as a role model in the AR position. I am at the top of my game. I have been trying to get promoted for years, but I get feedback that I make too much for other departments to want to take me on, and my lack of experience working in other departments is hurting me. I got that too high salary because years ago I was asked to take a pay raise and commit to stay in the department for a few more years. It destroyed my chances at a career with JBHunt. I am repeatedly told a lateral move to get more experience in other departments would include a hefty pay cut. I am honest, loyal, and extremely intelligent. I have the respect and admiration of my peers. I am sad that I will have to leave a company I love in order to move forward in my career. I will miss you and you will replace me, but it will be very hard for you to find any one person to match my caliber and potential.

Good company. Challenging work. Great people.

Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist  in  Lowell, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Programming Specialist in Lowell, AR (US)

I have been working at J.B. Hunt full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging work, great people, stable work environment. Pay is reasonable for the area.

Cons

Aggressive deadlines that are not realistic. Work life balance is not always honored. No real incentive to work harder. Employee ideas may be heard but they are not given any real consideration by upper management.

I don't mind working hard, but the long hours are burning me out. Give REAL incentive to work hard. A raise that barely covers the cost of living increase doesn't cut it. People need to feel valued, money is not always the answer but a lack of a reasonable raise speaks volumes to how we are valued.

Also, expand the career path. A decent developer with 10-15 years of experience will top out in career path easily. The only way to grow at that point is to go into management or leave the company. Those with a technical bent typically leave, I have seen us lose many great developers for this reason.

J.B. Hunt Photos

Corporate Office

+ Add Photo

Worked for J.B. Hunt? Contribute to the Community!