Itron Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
Updated 23 October, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 7 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This companies strengths are the people in the field

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding products and service. The hands-on people are very good.

Cons

Management left a lot to be desrired

People skills are vital to someone in management

Unprofessional and hostile environment!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Not much, only a paycheck! Good if you cant find any other job.
    As far as I know, most senior employees work at Itron because they cant find any other job.

Cons

1. Terribly managed company. Nobody knows who is who, not even the upper management.
    2. Anybody can insult you at Itron and get away with it. If you report to HR, they will only help retaliate against you! It is a mess.
    3. Only junior employees work, so if you are a junior, you have to work double time to make up for seniors not working.
    4. Work is boring and monotonous.
    5. If you end up in a bad Itron office you will hear slurs every day! Depends on your luck but you can do your research ahead of time.
    6. Unprofessional environment. You get the feeling you have gone back to grade school.

1. Management needs to be turned around. Hire some successful outsider managers to help improve the company.
    2. Spend at least 1% of your time to care about employees not the stock-market!

Many stay away of Itron and for good reason!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Competitive benefits and payment (although not more than competitors)

Cons

I worked or I am working in Human Resources at Itron (trying to keep anonymity).

1. Managers at Itron use HR employees as a shield all the time. Managers try to hide behind HR employees and use (or abuse) them in difficult situations. You will look bad in front of employees, colleagues, and even yourself. They make decisions on their own and blame it on HR most of the time!

2. As an HR employee, you have to deal with a lot of employee frictions in Itron offices. Use of slurs were reported but not often since I joined. However, derogatory comments, ridicule, offensive behavior, employee clashes, GRIT, and office frictions were reported VERY VERY OFTEN, 4 or 5 times more than my last employer. In majority of these cases, you have to cover-up for the employer and pretend everything is alright and nothing really happened.

3. Itron does not care much about employee comfort, employee morale, etc. To upper management, it is survival that maters.

4. It is difficult to recruit for Itron for senior positions. Offers are usually turned down and you look bad for not being able to hire.

5. Shady promotions are very common. You will see many employees who work hard (maybe even 60 hours a week) and they are stuck at the same spot for years, but some others with effective work of less than 15-20 hours a week get promotion after promotion.

6- A major problem of working for Itron is that you will get involved in a bunch of things that are not morally right just because your management wants you to do them. You will always have a feeling of guilt and will always have problems with your colleagues.

7- Some long-tenure employees have grown beyond control of managers with their circle of friends. Managers don't deal with them in fear of retaliation and have HR employees deal with them from time to time. Later, the managers cave and you will be retaliated against!

I think Itron needs more active management and regular visits of offices by upper management.

Anti-Semites and proud of it!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Good for a short stay in between jobs or if you really cannot find a job in bad economy.

Cons

1. I dont know how they hired in Itron that many employees (including HR) turned out to be anti-Semite! I dont think it is by accident. It must have been directed somewhere up in the company, maybe even by the CEO. You will hear a lot of antisemitic and neonazi conversations and you have to nod along!!

2. Managers constantly use security equipment to listen to your personal conversations and read your personal emails, etc., to gossip with their friends in the office! Managers dont take work seriously and take their stay in Itron as fun.

Take work seriously!

Slur-Alert! Slur-Alert!

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

If you are good at lobbying and have good communication skills you don't need to work much at Itron. You will be evaluated based on other factors not how much work you have done! All I can say is working hard gets you nowhere at Itron so just try to connect with the right people internally to succeed!

Cons

Itron has hired many state government lay-offs over the years many of whom were laid off because of behavior issues. Needless to say that you will hear racial slurs, will be discriminated against, and your work will be sabotaged on daily basis in Itron. Such incidences are so common that HR considers them as non-fixable! So all you can do is to avoid troubling employees or to leave the company.

The HR employees and managers pretend they do not hear these slurs because they know they cant fire more than 50% of the employees! At the same time, You cant blame the HR because control of the situation is already out of their hands and they rather dont open the can of worms.

Instead of covering-up the office mess, try to correct it.

Used to be Itron until 2008, Now it is I-SLUR!

I worked at Itron full-time

Pros

Itron was a great place to work for until 2008.

Cons

Itron is a sad story. It used to be a great smart-grid company with talented people when I joined. However, many good employees left Itron and weak employees reached high positions in recent years. The upper management did a terrible job of letting super weak and non-working employees reach high positions and now it is too late. These employees didn't work, didn't let others work, and didn't even let us hire strong candidates for open positions! They wanted to fill all positions with weak candidates (mostly their friends!?) that were not a threat to them. All they did was talk and talk and I never saw them work during the years! If you get a management position, you have to put up with the weak non-working employees that they let you hire!

To be successful in current Itron, you should NOT work hard because current employees will gang up against you and do anything they can to make you leave. The majority of the performance reviews are based on relations not your actual work and the harder you work, the worse they get. Simply, "Itron will not evaluate you based on the work you do". You will only be promoted If you are friends with the gang in the office. It is all politics that matters not work. I believe the upper management is aware of the situation but they have more critical financial issues to worry about currently.

I used to work for Itron a while back before they revoked my visa and I had to go back to India. During the more recent years I heard many derogatory comments about me and my country and heard lots of slurs at Itron. It became a common pattern that I wouldn't even notice it anymore until they revoked my visa and did not give me time to find another job. They did it on purpose!

I do not recommend Itron to non-residents, smart young professionals, hard-working people, minorities, and junior employees.

I recommend Itron to friends of the current weak employees that are leading in Itron.

Find the big-talk no-work employees and lay them off. Hire some strong qualified employees for high positions and management positions.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

Cons

I was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Acquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

Needs a strong CEO to clean it up or it will go broke soon

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

1. If you can join one of the cults in the company, not much work and easy paycheck.
    2. Depending on your office you may run into good friendly colleagues too.

Cons

1. Because of weak upper management in Itron, some senior employees have literally formed cults inside Itron offices. These cults run Itron offices and to be successful at Itron, you should forget about the managers and join one of these cults from the first day. Its almost like prison philosophy. The cult leaders are much stronger than the managers in the office so be careful not to step on their toes. Most managers are actually like cheerleaders in Itron and are not involved in the work. If you cant join a cult, they will not let you be successful and they are VERY strong. Even the managers dont mess with them. They can easily do anything they want from misleading you, to giving you false negative reviews, etc.

2. A major drawback of working at Itron is that if you stay for a long time, you will have trouble finding your next job in the energy industry. There are many pissed-off ex-Itron-employees in the energy industry that will not let you get a job at their company.

3. Itron is formed from many different departments that are not working well together. In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security. They have some smart people there and the rest of Itron is just slacking. If I were the CEO, I would keep software and get rid of the rest.

4. Competitors have thrown Itron to the sidelines. Although they blame it on tough competition and bad market, the lack of success is mostly because of poor internal management. The management does not care much about employees or even Itron's success. To simplify, Itron is poorly managed and poorly managed companies are destined to fail.

5. I see previous reviews have complained about slurs at workplace, but my experience in Itron is that it really depends on your office. There are some offices in Itron known for that stuff and you only have to avoid people from those offices. Having said that, Itron belongs to a rare breed of red-neck renewable companies and it is definitely not a good place for minorities.

Use strong military-type managers to clean up the company from cults.

Good employer that's facing market challenges

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Great people, reasonably challenging work

Cons

Open up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas

Not the right place for professionals

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

Cons

This company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Consider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.