Itron

Updated 26 November, 2014
Updated 26 November, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Changes Already

Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been part of Itron for numerous years, and there were some years in there where things were a little sketchy. I can see that sr management has seen those issues and has chosen to address them head on with multiple management changes for the better. There is already new programs and processes that are better designed for employee training and engagement. I've also read other reviews here regarding prejudices and slurs regarding other races and minorities. My role touches many business segments across multiple geographies and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never encountered any of what the few disgruntled employees have stated. I have no idea where that is coming from, but is completely false, and if it is true, those employees should have talked to their local HR rep who would nip it in the bud.

Cons

I do believe there needs to be better communication of company direction in the future, but that has already improved as well.

please share what the future looks like and help us to be positive and spread the positivism throughout the company. The future looks so bright!

hell on earth

Former Employee - They Couldnot Make Up Their Minds in Felixstowe, England (UK)
    Former Employee - They Couldnot Make Up Their Minds in Felixstowe, England (UK)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they now are giving their employees free coffee, laugh

Cons

Company values = 0, this company is out for profit only they are not interested in their staff.
    They cant even design working meters.
    most of the management are walking moronic idiots

you are the most unethical company in the entire world, I feel ashamed I worked for you.

Provincial company that grew fast and cannot handle itself!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Depending on your position and how active you are, you will get involved in a lot of projects and can learn a lot. As poorly as it is managed, sometimes good results come out of it too.

Cons

Itron suffers from unorganized management. Managers at Itron are not concerned with doing things right and usually pick the easiest way to do things setting a terrible model for other employees in the office and ruining employee morale. If the manager doesn't care why should I? To make matters worse, half of the employees are managers of their own. You cant ask another employee to help you with a project. They will get pissed and trouble starts there!
    Don't be surprised if your colleague who works 10 hours a week and is friends with the manager shows up with 55h/week average hourly work at the end of the year! Don't even bother to report it because as provincial as Itron is, friendship is stronger than work ethics and you will get into trouble.
    I see that other reviews have complained about slurs. I haven't heard them and I am not a minority but I am not surprised. I have seen a lot of tension and hate comments when a minority employee gets promoted. In my opinion, it is their own fault. I don't see why a minority or foreigner should join Itron when there are many other diverse companies in the US.
    Itron doesn't care about employees AT ALL. Everybody is complaining about the workplace and company only changes its CFO. That's a great sign that nobody cares, so be quiet or leave!

Monitor managers very closely. They are not following the protocols. Nobody doesn't report in fear of retaliation.

Good Smart ppl love this job

Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Intern IV in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good people, heavy community involvement, smart people, give scholarships and believes highly in education

Cons

honestly if i was gonna say anything they could use more eye candy walking around

Great changes taking place

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There has been a lot of change in management lately, but I think it's very much for the better. A lot of people were in roles that they were grandfathered into due to tenture, but had no business or aptitude for that kind of role. The new management is looking at things with a clean pair of eyes, and initiating good changes. I'm very excited about the future.

Cons

Corporate communication regarding changes and direction is kind of slow coming. Also, there are so many layers of management, it's hard to navigate sometimes.

Keep the changes exciting and fresh. Everyone working here has been craving changes and inspiration for a long time.

Hatred and racial bias made all strong employees leave!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

You will get your paycheck and some experience in the industry

Cons

I smiled and left the consulting group a while back without saying a word but in my stay there I heard racial slurs everyday. The interesting part is that your manager hears them too but does not react to them in any way as if it is completely normal.
    Most good employees have already left Itron. There is not enough work unless you are in HR or legal department dealing with employee complaints.

None. Just dont hire indian descents anymore. Your company sucks!!

Long tenure employees will gang up on you!

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Not much. They kept telling us that new work is coming but we were in the same status for years.

Cons

Be very careful with this company. Long tenure employees will gang up on you unless you lay low. They dont work much so they dont want their position to be threatened by you. You have to have low qualification and dont work much or they will gang up on you.

Nothing. Terrible company anyway. Even if they changed all managers, still the reputation of the business remains.

Not a good place for female employees!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Some good and friendly colleagues inside the office

Cons

This company is strongly biased in favor of white males and as a female you are not taken seriously and you have no opportunity to grow. Recently, they have been trying very hard to improve this because of several reported cases; but it is still terrible comparing to other companies. Most female employees do not stay long.
    Most say that the SD office is actually the best. So, you cant expect much from other offices.

Change every single person in management. If they are performing so poorly; why should they still be on the job?

Feels like working in a dead company

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Itron full-time

Pros

Work/life balance is a pro

Cons

Terrible senior employee behavior.
    Offensive sexual comments and jokes. Generally, Itron is not a female-friendly environment.
    No training for the job.
    Colleagues smiling at your face and talking behind your back to the manager.

Itron needs some major changes. Many employees have lost motivation already.

Promotions are racially biased

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Itron

Pros

Good place for a software engineer to jump-start career and get some experience

Cons

I come from India and I immediately figured I cant stay long because I would be stuck at the same spot. Performance reviews and promotions are racially biased. The software development group is not even the worst group. I have heard the consulting group is much worse. We were told to avoid them from the first week. Fortunately, as a software engineer, you don't have to interact with them.
    In general, Itron is poorly managed and nobody in management takes responsibility when things go wrong. This may or may not affect you depending on the circumstances.

I don't know why a software company should produce meters or have a consulting firm.