Itron

www.itron.com

Itron Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 5 reviews)

• Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • India (Energy) business being deliberately killed (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a good career experience

Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee) Burnaby, BC

ProsManagers were approachable and are good career mentors. I have a flexible work hours.

ConsIm a Canada based employee for a US Based company. There's no much room for growth for me.

Temporary position review

Administration and Sales (Former Employee) Regina, SK

ProsThere is a lot of learning and career opportunity within the company. The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs.

ConsIn some cases, timely efficient training with new implementations would have been helpful; Sometimes adequate communication was lacking.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen speaking to employees about their performance, include them in the growth process and improvements that can be made. An efficiency document for some job positions might be helpful with this matter.

I loved working at Iron, I started with them when they very young and got to grow with then for 25 years.

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Liberty Lake, WA (US)

ProsI wore many "hats" during my working years at Itron. It was a great learning experience and opportunity for personal and professional growth. Itron felt like family in a way and I wanted to make sure I did everything to make the company successful. It was a struggle at times as we grew so quickly and with any high tech company change was the name of the game. Being flexible and willing to work long hard hours sometimes was a real challenge but well worth the growth and learning opportunities I was exposed to.

ConsI was able to developed my many leadership skills. Itron always offered its employees very good benefits over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcquisitions were always a challenge as we grew. New management did not always understand what some employees did because it was so different from what they were used to. I think it is really important to try to spend a little more time in this area so they are better able to manage employees and processes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good employer that's facing market challenges

ProsGreat people, reasonably challenging work

ConsStruggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up the top ranks to outsiders and new ideas

Slur-Alert! Slur-Alert!

ProsIf you are good at lobbying and have good communication skills you don't need to work much at Itron. You will be evaluated based on other factors not how much work you have done! All I can say is working hard gets you nowhere at Itron so just try to connect with the right people internally to succeed!

ConsItron has hired many state government lay-offs over the years many of whom were laid off because of behavior issues. Needless to say that you will hear racial slurs, will be discriminated against, and your work will be sabotaged on daily basis in Itron. Such incidences are so common that HR considers them as non-fixable! So all you can do is to avoid troubling employees or to leave the company.

The HR employees and managers pretend they do not hear these slurs because they know they cant fire more than 50% of the employees! At the same time, You cant blame the HR because control of the situation is already out of their hands and they rather dont open the can of worms.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of covering-up the office mess, try to correct it.

Needs a strong CEO to clean it up or it will go broke soon

Pros1. If you can join one of the cults in the company, not much work and easy paycheck.
    2. Depending on your office you may run into good friendly colleagues too.

Cons1. Because of weak upper management in Itron, some senior employees have literally formed cults inside Itron offices. These cults run Itron offices and to be successful at Itron, you should forget about the managers and join one of these cults from the first day. Its almost like prison philosophy. The cult leaders are much stronger than the managers in the office so be careful not to step on their toes. Most managers are actually like cheerleaders in Itron and are not involved in the work. If you cant join a cult, they will not let you be successful and they are VERY strong. Even the managers dont mess with them. They can easily do anything they want from misleading you, to giving you false negative reviews, etc.

2. A major drawback of working at Itron is that if you stay for a long time, you will have trouble finding your next job in the energy industry. There are many pissed-off ex-Itron-employees in the energy industry that will not let you get a job at their company.

3. Itron is formed from many different departments that are not working well together. In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security. They have some smart people there and the rest of Itron is just slacking. If I were the CEO, I would keep software and get rid of the rest.

4. Competitors have thrown Itron to the sidelines. Although they blame it on tough competition and bad market, the lack of success is mostly because of poor internal management. The management does not care much about employees or even Itron's success. To simplify, Itron is poorly managed and poorly managed companies are destined to fail.

5. I see previous reviews have complained about slurs at workplace, but my experience in Itron is that it really depends on your office. There are some offices in Itron known for that stuff and you only have to avoid people from those offices. Having said that, Itron belongs to a rare breed of red-neck renewable companies and it is definitely not a good place for minorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse strong military-type managers to clean up the company from cults.

Not the right place for professionals

ProsNot much. The paycheck was not bad. Good place for retired folks who want to spend time and get paid until the end of their career.

ConsThis company has a bad reputation in the renewable industry so if you want to stay in renewable industry in the future, you may reconsider.
    Expect to be ignored at expositions and conferences when you show up at Itron booth. I used to work with them a while years ago and after that, i had to convince people at interviews that I was not associated with them and just worked there for a while. If you stayed there for a short period and you are planning to stay in the renewable business, I recommend removing Itron from your resume. They will not tell you but will look the other way when they see that name.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider reconstructing the management and use stronger and more active managers.

Good place for seniors and retired folks, not a good place for minorities!

Energy Engineer (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsEasy paycheck while government still contracts this company. That may not last long though as the government cut back on many projects.

ConsThe company is a government contractor and the main work is generating long, boring, and useless reports for the state government. Lack of efficiency and too many senior employees who do not actively take part in the job cause writing reports to take much longer than expected which is a huge waste of government money. These reports do not have much value but you get your paycheck and you can be happy with it. The easy paycheck however comes with a package of rude and offensive colleague behavior. You can expect to hear a long of interesting "words" from the seniors at Itron.

Things were good at Itron until 2011 but I think in recent years the government noticed lack of value and cut back on many of the projects so Itron started struggling with losses. Many of my hard-working and efficient colleagues started leaving in recent years.

Itron has many bits and pieces that are not working well together and the CEO does not even know that some of these bits exist! The CEO only manages the company stock and couldnt care less about the body of the company. You will receive 2 emails a year form the CEO who does not know where his email goes!

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should consider rebuilding the company and shut down the offices that are not attached to the rest of the company. They should hire young professional active managers to improve the quality of work. They should push senior employees to actively take part in the work.

Lost Cause

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsVery friendly, warm people. My supervisor is great.

ConsBig pay inequities, poor company performance means little to no annual bonus or merit payout. No career plan. No coaching or mentoring. There would not be time anyway, since you are to busy doing your current job.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt takes the whole company to be a successfully one, not just a select few.

The consulting department is just horrible

ProsOffice furniture and equipment are good and the office environment is clean which is typical for consulting firms but nothing other than that is a pro.

ConsDisrespectful seniors
    No training for the job
    Slurs at the workplace
    Losing market-share
    Limited to very specific projects which are dissapearing as the state of California is changing its incentive policy
    Lousy managers that only seek time to pass time and get paid

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider having an HR employee in the office to monitor the office environment

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!