Itron

Updated 26 November, 2014
Updated 26 November, 2014
2.4

Philip Mezey

Pros
  • Good work / life balance and the ability to work in different fields (in 7 reviews)

• The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Struggling to move away from legacy products; hard to break into the upper management circle (in 8 reviews)

• In my opinion, the only successful department is software development, IT, and cyber security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a good career experience

Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Logistics Coordinator in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Itron as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Managers were approachable and are good career mentors. I have a flexible work hours.

Cons

Im a Canada based employee for a US Based company. There's no much room for growth for me.

Temporary position review

Former Employee - Administration and Sales in Regina, SK
    Former Employee - Administration and Sales in Regina, SK

I worked at Itron full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is a lot of learning and career opportunity within the company. The people are friendly and excellent at their jobs.

Cons

In some cases, timely efficient training with new implementations would have been helpful; Sometimes adequate communication was lacking.

When speaking to employees about their performance, include them in the growth process and improvements that can be made. An efficiency document for some job positions might be helpful with this matter.

Machine Operator/Production Assembler Itron Inc. Waseca Minnesota 1998-2006

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Waseca, MN (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Awesome team environment. Benefits were pretty standard for the area! Would have never left knowing what I do now. I began working at Itron through a temp agency. About a week into the job a man came by our test towers and seen that we were short handed. He introduced himself as Bob ask why we only had 2 people doing the job of 3-4 and I explained that we had 2 call in sick and were waiting for help from other lines to arrive. He took over testing so I could pack and knew the little tricks to help get accurate testing completed. about a month later we had a quarterly meeting were ALL employee's gathered in the break/lunchroom and discussed how the company was performing and such. Bob the gentleman that had helped us for about 15mins. until our promised help arrived was running the meeting and introduced himself as the VP of manufacturing and about 3 other titles at the time. After each segment of his presentation he asked for questions and I raised my hand and with out thinking about it he called on me by name. I didn't have a name badge at the time. After 15mins of working with me(a temp employee) he remembered me by name a month later! He knew not only what every position on the production floor was, but he could train a new employee on it, and after he shakes your hand he remembers who you are. through the 8+ years working at Itron Bob would walk the production floor not as an axe man looking for the bad workers but as a co-worker giving advise on how to deal with interpersonal issues or how to hold your tweezers to make hand placing parts easier on your wrist. Bob Whitney was the best Senior staff I have ever worked under.

Cons

Had some growing pains back then, but speaking to friends that are still employee's the great culture has returned!

Keep making sure your employees from the bottom to the top know they are what makes your company great! And keep living up to the nobody is just a number culture!

Good Company

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Liberty Lake, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I worked at Itron as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Company has good integrity
    Was paid well. $20/hr as an intern
    Learned a lot. People around me were very willing to help
    Got to do several presentations
    Access to Toastmasters

Cons

Cubicle setting
    Large company

I'd prefer to work somewhere more intimate, but that's just me.

In an interesting industry, Itron was a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The managers were receptive to feedback. Everyone's perspective was taken into account, if you make your perspective known. The position I held involved a lot of travel, and their travel policies were very accommodating as far as large field/consulting companies go.

Cons

I left when it looked like the federal government stimulus well was running dry. I can only make assumptions from that point on, but it looked like the impending belt-tightening was about to change the work culture a lot.

Loser QA manager

Former Employee - SQA Engineer II in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Former Employee - SQA Engineer II in Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nothing about this company are pros. Nothing about this company are pros. Nothing about this company are pros.

Cons

QA manager was a real idiot. QA manager was a real idiot. QA manager was a real idiot.

Get some education and a brain.

Tough to get things done

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Jackson, MS (US)

I worked at Itron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

small setting, friendly people. flexible hours

Cons

hard to change the culture

think outside the box

At least the consulting firm is racially biased and poor performing

I have been working at Itron

Pros

In current US tech industry, a racially biased company like itron is destined to fail

Cons

I dont think the upper management is promoting racial bias like other reviews suggested but they are well aware of it. However, they prefer to keep their eyes closed. The bad reputation has spread through industry causing itron to take major hits from previous employees who have taken governmental positions now.

Keep your eyes closed until company goes broke.

Great Company

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been there for more than 5 years. The people there are great to work with and very helpful. I've enjoyed pay increases and bonuses on an annual basis. The benefits are excellent. I love to travel and my job allows that 40-45 weeks a year.

Cons

Technology is cutting edge and you have to be a self-motivator to keep up. Opportunities are available, but you have to apply for them. Work pace can be brutal at times.

Don't get stuck in the rut, consider other ways of doing things.

Great Changes Already

Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Waseca, MN (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been part of Itron for numerous years, and there were some years in there where things were a little sketchy. I can see that sr management has seen those issues and has chosen to address them head on with multiple management changes for the better. There is already new programs and processes that are better designed for employee training and engagement. I've also read other reviews here regarding prejudices and slurs regarding other races and minorities. My role touches many business segments across multiple geographies and I can say with 100% certainty that I have never encountered any of what the few disgruntled employees have stated. I have no idea where that is coming from, but is completely false, and if it is true, those employees should have talked to their local HR rep who would nip it in the bud.

Cons

I do believe there needs to be better communication of company direction in the future, but that has already improved as well.

please share what the future looks like and help us to be positive and spread the positivism throughout the company. The future looks so bright!