Itron
www.itron.com Liberty Lake, WA 5000+ Employees

Itron Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Philip Mezey

Pros:
  • "Management tries to give people opportunity and some work life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Itron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "India (Energy) business being deliberately killed"
    in 4 reviews
  • "If I missed an expense, it was out of my pocket"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Is a good place to work while the revenue is coming in.

Senior Technical Consultant (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than a year

ProsItron benefited greatly from the government stimulating the utility companies to investing the Smart-Grid technologies. They treated their people fine while the Smart-Grid investments were being made.

ConsThe government is no longer stimulating investment in Smart-Grid technologies, so the revenue stream is drying up and Itron is already changing how they treat employees. It is not a great place to work at this point, the end of 2012, and they will probably soon be MORE layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind methods that produce steady streams of revenue rather than quick hits. Push harder into the software arena and charge for software licensing, upgrades and support.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

stable co but not much scope for growth

Principal Consultant (Current Employee)
Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Smart people to work with
Leader in the smart grid technology

ConsPoor Management, you can move up only if you are good on the social scene

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish better processes to enable good employees to move

take this with a pinch of salt

I have been working at Itron

ProsFew have been lucky to be teamed up with good mentors and been rewarded for their efforts. This is good platform to familiarize with very good technology. Relatively lesser stress. Good place to start , provided you are ready to take it slow.

ConsTerrible resource management, you assign tasks to a person by his skills not what's left over after everything else is taken by people who worked there forever.Hoarding knowledge is pretty popular..leaves one wondering if knowledge decreases when you share....! You need to be in so many good books for your efforts to be noticed

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to trust your employees for what they are.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

A pretty good place to work

I have been working at Itron

Prosflexible working hours and locations (home or office)

ConsThey make us be on call on weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees more choice on what they work on

Consulting and Analysis

Engineer (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 5 years

ProsItron Consulting and Analysis team produces high quality work. For the most part, upper management in the Consulting and Analysis group are very laid back and easy going. Great environment to work in. Flexible schedule.

ConsIf you find the work interesting, then there are no downsides for working for the Consulting and Analysis group.

Restructure, restructure, restructure, etc...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Itron

Proscompany has good pay and benefits

ConsCompany has been undergoing a restructuring for over 3 years, sales team under sells their product and networks, pm team does not understand concept of pm principles , advancement within is limited

a wonderful place to get regular paycheck and do something else you like

RD Manager (Current Employee)
West Union, SC (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time

Prosno real work to do at all , no pressure, everyone can work as an engineer or manager even if you know nothing. noboady cares what you do , so you have plenty of time shopping on ebay, trading stocks or watching youtube. You basically get paid for doing nothing and having your own fun in you cubicle...that's amazing...

Consridiculously low pay, huge lay offs now and then, if you r not good at kissing the right ass, you dead..
management people are related and all family members, husband promotes his wife, wife promotes her brother, the brother hires his wife... good engineers and hard workers are disposal and treated like trash by them and get laid off easily.
one star is tooooooooooo much for this company...

Advice to Senior Managementhow come you don't hire your mom and dad, that's unfair, if your brother can be the manager, your parents could be the CEO!!!

Way to go- not bad though!

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

Prospromotes work life balance; okish for tech exposure

Conslack of communication & information sharing by the senior mgmt.

Advice to Senior Managementencourage building an open atmosphere

Itron - San Mateo - needs improvement for software management

San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for less than a year

ProsItron is a gas, electric, water metering company moving into new cellular smart grid metering solutions. Itron stock investment for the long term (not short term) is improving as they are expected to have several years of increased business as utilities invest in cellular products that Itron parent company and its Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) now sell since its recent acquisition of Smartsynch cellular. Embedded cellular design and development is where the action and growth is inside Itron, there is demand for embedded engineers. I joined into a lower level position from an enterprise architect position from a former large company with the hope to work on cellular solutions and move into embedded solutions. Embedded cellular design and programming is a strong area opportunity with Itron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo). Management in non-software engineering are very good and the executive staff has a genuine leadership style.

ConsItron Cellular Solutions (San Mateo) is not the best place to work if you're interested in leading edge software development for Java engineers or Java architects; as the company already has heavy software investment in .NET energy management solutions that are mature energy components. Job ads may identify Java architects, but since I have 10+ years in architecture they failed to ask my skills in Java architecture, it appears to be just a label. The singular leading edge cellular software component the company has is handled by a very very small team and unlikely to add resources as system integration with the parent company has swallowed up those opportunities. Recent new engineering management has joined which has recently brought in issues such as micro management, lack of facilitative leadership, poor communication feedback loops, no pair programming resulting in poor team work execution, lack of real trust between management and software engineers, lack of appreciation. Some people are treated especially well if from Sonim Technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementImperative to instill effective professional two-way communication and team work, instill pair programming to spread the knowledge of core systems; instill solid facilitative leadership in technical areas to ensure effective team communication; instill best practices to reduce the recent 30% software engineer resignation; eradicate micro management practices.

One of the best places to work in Liberty Lake

Systems Analyst Programmer (Current Employee)
Liberty Lake, WA (US)

I have been working at Itron full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge on-site gym, sand volleyball and basketball in parking lot, friendly and appealing work environment, casual attire.
Business is strong and steady.
3 weeks vacation after 2 years.

ConsSince it's in a small town the salary isn't as competitive.
Sometimes the pace of change is quite slow considering the fact that meters don't change a whole lot.
Self-improvement isn't rewarded. The rate of progression in the company is set in stone, so working extra hard doesn't pay off.

Advice to Senior ManagementProfit sharing is excellent, but would be even better if it wasn't paid out on such a sliding scale. I would be great if everyone got the same amount, instead of getting a percentage of your salary. Upper management seems a bit greedy on things like this.

Worked for Itron? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Itron reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Itron CEO Philip Mezey . All 61 reviews are posted anonymously by Itron employees.