Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated 18 November, 2014
Updated 18 November, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 14 reviews)

• Customer service has always been a problem despite attempts at improvement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Okay Company to Work For

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time

Pros

Culture, Consistency, Professional Client Support, Nimble Flat Organization, Decent Bonuses

Cons

Reorg, Lack of Understanding of Unique Business Units

Iron Mountain corporate has made huge changes to unique business units, severly affecting the function and adaptability in competitive markets. Decisions which are seen as "strategic" is nothing close to it as they compare Records Management operational models with a business line that is vastly different, therefore setting up the business line for failure. Key management attempted to understand this unique business line and altered organizational structure without trying to understand the complexity. This was the 3rd or 4th wave of changes in a matter of years (all of which hasn't improved our business line) but made it worse as they continue to perform "analytics" which drive their decision-making and give them the false notion that it will catapult the business. Learn to understand the business in a deep manner.

Stay mute and you're all right; no guaranteed work

Former Employee - Data Entry in Windsor, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Data Entry in Windsor, CT (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Sent there by a temp company. It was good in some ways and pretty close to home. Hours were decent and while no room for advancement into a full time permanent job I enjoyed the data entry and typing while there.

Cons

Boss a good person but turned a blind eye/deaf ear to problems including when the issue of staff in that department with trash mouths who were loud and too disruptive for me to concentrate, got to be too much for me. I have since been ostracised simply because I asked nicely to have my seating arrangement changed so I could continue to be as productive as I was before. Just as quickly as when they extended the offer to have me come back, so did they rescind the offer once I re-checked for having my desk moved elsewhere.

It would be more beneficial whether it be temps or permanent staff, to enforce a quiet, or quieTER work area. The other thing is, written or not written, policiesx
     such as abiding by the dress code were not always enforced. One time seven years ago I got sent home TWICE to change into another outfit when the same type of outfit was okay another day prior and then all of a sudden became an issue. Even boss does not always adhere to dress code rules. A good pressure cooker for workpmace animosity if I do say so myself.

Good people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc (more than 5 years)

Pros

IRM has a good workflife balance.

Cons

Can be a political environment aka boys club

Listen to your employees and the market place drivers.

Quit outsourcing jobs to India, Philippines.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royersford, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Royersford, PA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Teamwork, family atmosphere. Iron Mountain employees within the department are hardworking and dedicated to doing the right thing to service their customers.

Cons

New CEO and upper management, outsourced hundreds of jobs to Bangalore, India as part of the "playbook."

Company in flux

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Solid business revenue foundation. Flexible work from home option for many locations.

Cons

Going through extreme culture and organizational changes as they move towards being a global company.

Try to hold onto the cultural part about employees being the main asset to the company. Also, executives should work to include all levels in decisions through cross functional teams and better overall communication. Stabilize this company before all your best talent walks out the door.

Not as stable as they use to be! Horrible culture and upper management.

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and flexible hours.

Cons

Horrible culture and upper management. Records center jobs are the worst in the business, with transportation a close second. Turnover is really high due to the lack of employees. Utilize a lot of temporary workers which can be difficult on FTE's. In 3 years, I've seen 6 Operations managers fired or resigned and 9 supervisors. This is not normal for any company. Two layoffs in the last 2 years while broadening work assignments. Inventory system runs on DOS. Training is bad for a company this size, not structured, basically your at the mercy of someone else while they perform their normal job. Production measurements for labor or not accurate and unrealistic for employees who work in the record centers.

Consider evaluating your upper management team by polling your managers, supervisors and coordinators. There is know way 15 managers and supervisors terminated in 3 years and considered that normal.

With Management not communicating with each other and their subordinates, they do not train their employees properly.

Former Employee - Imaging Specialist
    Former Employee - Imaging Specialist

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Each employee learned to do their job on their own without any form of training.

Cons

Not being able to do the job correctly. Iron Mountain hires only a small handful of permanent employees, and once they lay off a dozen or so temp workers who are hard working, and then Iron Mountain hires new employees.

Be on the same page with everyone and communicate better, especially with the coordinators and employees.

I prepped and scanned documents and old files for corporation to incorporate their files in an online filing system.

Current Employee - Document Control Clerk in Cerritos, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Document Control Clerk in Cerritos, CA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Job was easy and fun and interesting, and the supervisor was very funny and fun to work with.

Cons

No challeneges sometimes you had to fast because of deadlines and accuracies was a given.

To many breaks the job was so much fun you didn't want to stop.

So far so good. Nice perks working from home.

Former Employee - Director of Finance in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Finance in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, great benefits, team players all around.

Cons

CEO is needy and detached from the company

Fire CEO and find someone from within.

Great work place

Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Royersford, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Contract Administrator in Royersford, PA (US)

Pros

Cons

Many structural changes as the company is changing the vision and cutting costs. Supportive jobs beeing outshored.