Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated 28 January, 2015
Updated 28 January, 2015

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 16 reviews)

• Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Wouldn't go back

Former Employee - BDE in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - BDE in London, England (UK)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, great sales team in Mid Market during my time. Loads of other great folks the business.

Cons

Management of Mid market sales was trapped in 1970's micro management style with no insight or vision, All been brought in from rentagenericsalesmanagers.com. Many had recently moved Jim Henson companies bringing with them a distinct style of management.
    Senior Management included carousel of MD's, each with the their idea how to make things work. We had 5 in 9 years, better chances being a football manager. This produced the instability of constant restructuring and jostling for power.
    Latterly management done everything but listen to the frontline troops and very few of their fixes worked. They operated a distinct closed door policy with some of the SLT imbuing themselves with the status of business Gods and living in suitably constructed ivory towers.
    IM have lost focus and are losing customers by the hundreds.

Get a life.

Client Relationship Executive

Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relationship Executive in Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company tries to do right by employees, even if they make a decision and it's not well received they attempt to change it to accommodate the employee population

Cons

Sales team are segmented out. Management is okay but . A lot of constant change and no room to advance.

Managers need first hand knowledge of how to do sales role, they need to be open to help, educate, and listen.

A good traditional company with opportunities for the ambitious, flexible, patient, mobile, and ops-inclined

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance is absolutely attainable if you use your time and focus effectively. Career advancement opportunities are yours for the taking if you actively pursue development and growth opportunities (you must have smart initiative), if you are willing to wait, and if you are willing to relocate. Benefits are solid - middle of the pack for good large companies, and they make continual improvements. Many resources have been expended and made available to all people leaders to help them be better managers for their direct reports. Iron Mountain is always looking to improve. I think the most recent changes have been in everyone's favor and the growth we need might finally take hold.

Cons

I haven't worked for many other large corporations, and I hear this is par for most of them, but the reorganization addiction really needs to settle down a bit. This is especially true in the IT department. The disconnect between the aspirational core values and the realities of management/shareholder-driven business decisions is jarring and could use some soul-searching and reconciliation. The supervisor role is in need of a re-evaluation of duties; too much of the role is administrative and tactical, and they need much more time available to spend being mentored and developing their people leadership.

I'm all for change for the better, but sometimes you need more than 6 months to see if a change worked or not. Or, let's not decide to do a change if there's strong evidence that it's not the right direction, and maybe we won't need to course-correct in 6 months. I'm not saying we should freeze up every time we are trying to make a decision. But sometimes I don't know if leadership across all levels truly owns their decisions, including the fact that it might take extra assistance and resources in the short-term in order to implement the change well and take care of unforeseen circumstances, even if we are trying to save costs in the long run.

But the future looks good and the past year we saw some encouraging changes in leadership behavior. Emphasize the "Good to Great" mentality so that folks aren't constantly worried that the company is tanking every time we talk numbers, but rather that we're looking to be even better than the good we already are. Limit initiatives across the company and give leaders time to fully implement one before rolling out another one.

Opportunity exists for mature business with continued focus on Customer

Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Team Leader in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Mature business with potential for growth outside of North America

Cons

Balance focus on International and emerging market growth with mature North America business

Stay focused on the customer

Stagnant work.

Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Tech Lead in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wfh and flexible timings. Nice space.

Cons

Culture of meetings for everything. Late night calls, support expectations, Indian management is so called not worth a bit.

None

Laid off in reorganization

Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and service in my division but the rest of the company is poor.

Cons

rigid and outdated systems, policies and upper mgmt.

Need to invest more in front line employees and listening to customers feedback.

old school box management company that was struggling to evolve

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

big company with typical resources and benefits, decent mid-level compensation depending upon role

Cons

no clear strategy, lack of stability, dying business

develop a true mission and strategy, be loyal to customers and employees

Sr. Mgmt makes changes without understanding customer and employee needs. Very poor decision making.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

great people work there that care alot.

Cons

too much cost costing and reorgs vs trying to manage the business in the right direction.

recruit new leadership and/or promote good people within to make better decisions.

i had a great time with the company.

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than a year)

Pros

open culture.
    friendly people.
    work life balance.
    work from homes allowed depending on the team you go.
    compensation is just like any other company like infosys, wipro and a little high.

Cons

training depends on your managers approval. hard to get. you need to show your metal to get it .
    quick org. changes

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Fair, transparent, ethical, respectful. Values relationships. Goal oriented.

Cons

None really to speak of.

Keep it going!