Iron Mountain Inc

www.ironmountain.com

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Good front line employees and work life balance is ok (in 16 reviews)

• Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 13 reviews)

• Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Operations Supervisor/Facility Security Officer (Former Employee) Richmond, VA (US)

ProsWhile working fot Iron Mountain I found the atmosphere to be flexible, progressive and challenging.

ConsThe area the company can improve in is training and development. Sometimes employees are promoted without being trained and this can make their experience a stressful one.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put frontline employees first. This is not a commom practice that other companies demand.

Bright, caring staff poised to successfully land high growth opportunities now that it's a REIT

Solutions Architect (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsBright and surprisingly creative and flexible staff makes work engaging and fun. Long-timers know where the bodies are buried and are able to steer newbies clear of potential problems. Much of the training is self-help videos and online exercises, generally very good. Excellent market data, leads and research ensure the best and brightest have the best info to make good decisions and to be most productive. Solid benefits and pay. Vision and Mission are easy to get behind and support.

ConsA challenging environment to gain proficiency; some processes seem over engineered and people in the know go around these hurdles, causing fires elsewhere. Good communication and transparency, though, but cycles are burned unnecessarily. CYA emails and figuring out what's going on by the 48th forward is tedious, but it's in the culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need a process to autopsy things that go wrong and another to challenge industry data and stats based on our own experiences. Teams in the field have a lot of industry and competitive insight that could better be shared - perhaps on Salesforce "Chatter" Also, we should have "No Meeting Fridays" to catch up, distill and share what we've learned.

It was wonderful experience they did want me to leave

Warehouse Dockworker (Former Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsBenefits, Hours, pay, and compensation / rewards to get for being such a hardworking enthusiastic employee.

ConsOperating some of the equipment the culture and dealing with the strenuous labor that comes with the job

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is pretty descent and sophisticated in how they go about dealings with certain situations that might cause the company to fail. But overall there pretty reasonable on employees that depends on your work ethics, dependability, accuracy, and sense of urgency.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disgusted!

Coordinator (Former Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsGreat team players in the company, challenging decent pay and benefits.

ConsHorrible management. GM totally clueless let people go and do not replace them. More work and less people all the time. Definitely do not value their employees or care about their opinions. Used to be a great place to work once upon a time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoesn't matter they don't listen anyway.

Avoid if you can

Analyst (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsLearning Opportunities are okay
    Best company to work for like a robot who doesn't ask any questions

Cons- Lacks professionalism
    - Very Unethical; Resources are treated like slaves by Senior Management
    - Discrimination
    - HR serves only senior management and lies left and right
    - Micromanagement

Advice to Senior Management- Grow up and realise that you are a global company.
    - Try for change management and bring in global standards and work ethics rather than sticking onto 1990s legacy of doing things
    - Trust your resources to a certain extent

Typical Work Place

Cdl Courier (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is alright and the supervisors and coordinators are easy to get along with. The benefits are also fairly good. Incentive compensation is offered quarterly so that is always a nice bonus. Promotes from within.

ConsEverything continuously changes and it's since it's corporation everything comes down to the bottom line for all the share holders. The company policies themselves make the job suck at times. Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your hands dirty to have a better understanding of what goes on, especially when you feel the need to constantly change metrics.

It's a paycheck

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hollywood, CA (US)

ProsFairly easy going, not a lot of pressure - with the exception of one micro-manager. But everyplace has the one disgruntled employee that ruins it for everyone.

ConsOnly upper management is staff. Everyone else is "permanent" freelance. And the company does little things to remind you of your non-employee status all the time.

Business development executive

Business Development Executive (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsNice people, nice products nice office

ConsBad commissions and commission pans

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing everything! there is too much going on

Good company to work for

IT Staff Position (Former Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsEasy commute, Great people, training provided for and encouraged. Reasonable pay flexible hours and ability to work from home

ConsConstant change, need to listen more carefully to line employees. difficult to implement change with corporate processes

Advice to Senior ManagementListen carefully to employees, Match 401K. Allow and encourage feedback

High expectations and lacks the tools and bodies to get the job done effectively.

Operations Service Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsTeam members are a great group of employees. Work areas are clean, climate controlled and they offer a decent benefits package for full time employees.

ConsThe work load is excessive for the amount of people on the team. I understand metrics, employee performance and maximizing productivity but Iron Mountain takes these methods too far in my opinion. For a company that consistently generates revenue, it would not hurt the bottom line to hire some more employees rather than work the existing ones to death.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore you supervise or manage a department, spend at least a week in the records center, vault operations and do a ride along with the couriers. You will have a better understanding of the challenges each work group faces during the daily operations. It is one thing to manage and something totally different to be a leader.

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!