Iron Mountain Inc
www.ironmountain.com Boston, MA 5000+ Employees

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

William Meaney

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, great people to work with, always something new happening"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Work Life Balance and Work from Home Options"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Concern for the customer as the Customer Service is poorly trained and HIGH turnover with CS"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Upper management is new so the path is uncertain"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Records Centre

Supplies Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsA good mix of administrative, computer related duties and hands on warehouse management.

ConsRepetitive work and dusty environments

Excellent Company

Transportation Manager (Former Employee)
Brampton, ON

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsInternal promotions, good benefits and friendly environment

ConsRed tape with respect to processes

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote or assess individuals based on performance and experience and not personal traits that do not fit with your HR people

Overall good place to work.

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Burnaby, BC

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood place to work if you are motivated and driven. Management allows flexibility to manage your territory as you see fit so long as you drive positive results, meeting and exceeding sales targets.

ConsThe company's focus has since changed in the past few years and sometimes some of the campaigns that were rolled out to the sales team were make work projects. Limited upward career mobility unless you were willing to uproot your family and move.

Stable business with lots of opportunities to improve

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSteady core business; Growing new opportunities

ConsNeeds lots of work for a better system/structure.

A tremendous amount of growth opportunity.

Enterprise Accounts Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsExciting industry. Niche market. Great exposure to multiple verticals. Information management field of focus is inciting and demanding.

ConsVery administrative. Tracking a reporting focused. Information overload at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the information and balance the updates.

Good Temporary Job

Temporary (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

ProsThe management team is very nice, respectful and overall very flexible. The company brought in alot of temp workers. The physical work environment could be better, but the people are good to work with.

ConsPhysical work condition is harsh

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more accurate understanding of the things that go on under their deparments

ugh

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLoved my coworkers, always there to help each other. Not all managers or supervisors I have heard great things about, but I was really lucky with my team. Flex time available to most is great.

ConsGlobalization is happening more and more, letting go of a lot of good people to do this. Even the people staying do not feel stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement around me has handled the hard issues pretty well and been as nice about it as you can be, but it would be nice if upper management would consider keeping more jobs in the states.

Great People - But needs a strategic vision for future growth

Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- The People/Culture. Iron Mountain employees are bright, hard working, and cooperative. They want to do the best job possible regardless of which department you deal with. The people are by far the best thing about the company.

- Benefits and Pay - Fair. They are pretty fair and standard for a large enterprise organization.

- Layoffs - Company had two big layoffs in two years. However, the last layoff, they treated most people with dignity and respect. Gave a good severance, gave people a transition time before they had to leave, Communication was open and up front about the changes. I think the senior leadership team really treated and handled the people better the most companies I've heard about.

- Name Recognition - It's the most well known name in the document storage business. It also has a global presence and no competitors that have anywhere near the same national footprint.

Cons- Lack of strategic vision for the future. Sales people are still asked to focus on selling paper document storage - something that is quickly becoming obsolete. Commissions on other services like scanning are quite low and pricing is not competitive. Company has focused too much on short term gain of selling paper storage revenue, but how long is that going to last?

- Converted to a REIT to save on taxes - but unclear how becoming a real estate investment trust for tax breaks shows the company is looking towards to future growth and innovation in the US market.

Advice to Senior ManagementIron Mountain was once a giant in it's industry. #1 in it's field and a world class brand that was incredibly profitable and successful... BUT so was Blockbuster, Kodak, Borders, BlackBerry, Dell, Motorola, Sony, Sears.... and the list goes on. You need to pivot the ship - innovate new services and products. Stop doubling down on paper storage and invest in a real long term on strategy for growth.

OK company to work for, but clearly has lost some of its luster

Billing Specialist (Current Employee)
Royersford, PA (US)

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWith a right attitude and a strong desire to want to do more, this organization will respond by providing excellent opportunities. I started in collections and worked my way to one of the company's top billing analysts, but only after I had applied myself by going back to school for my graduate degree and asking for more work to do. I was a trusted and valued employee there for a number of years as a result, and felt a part of a large "family", wanting to serve and support the customer base at a high level. The company culture has been better and has been communicated well by HR; it has definitely changed from when I first started with the company over 10 years ago.

ConsThe organization is undergoing a large transition by shipping most of its transactional data and work overseas as part of a cost cutting measure, although senior leadership will not communicate that to its current employees for fear of political reasons. There is not a great deal of immediate future opportunities for advancement, as there have been 3 job cuts in the last 5 years (2009-2013). The transactional data transition has not been as smooth as the senior leadership believes it has been (in fact, it's been quite rocky and very inconsistent), and the amount of customer anger is building. Issues where customers are receiving refund checks and past due statements from the organization at the same time are becoming common. In my job as a billing specialist, there were 7 different middle managers and/or VPs between myself and the CEO of the company. One VP stated in an all-employee quarterly meeting that Iron Mountain was "behind the times" when it came to job cutbacks; to me, this was a direct slap in the face to those workers that have been faithful to the organization and provided no peace to people's job security.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe organization needs to look at itself and cut out the levels of middle management (or eliminate some of the VPs) in order to improve its communication between the CEO and the employees. Transactional data processors must return back to the US, or the current overseas staff must get its collective act together before the customers' anger boils over. The company's VPs must attend a "charm school" in order to effectively communicate to its employees when job cutbacks are being announced. The company can return to its former "glory days", but only when upper management humble themselves for the mistakes they have made and hires back quality people in the US to handle its day to day work responsibilities.

Enjoyed working with the people there

Document Imaging (Former Employee)
Livermore, CA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time for less than a year

ProsFor those interested in career growth, Iron Mountain is a good place to work. Willingness to work learn and solve problem will get you far

Consdidn't get hired on permanently

Worked for Iron Mountain Inc? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Iron Mountain Inc reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Iron Mountain Inc CEO William Meaney. All 304 reviews are posted anonymously by Iron Mountain Inc employees.