Iron Mountain Inc

Iron Mountain Inc Reviews

Updated 18 November, 2014
Updated 18 November, 2014

William Meaney

Pros
  • Nice work/life balance, options to work from home depending on the nature of your position (in 19 reviews)

• Global company with good benefits & on site subsidized cafeteria (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most places upper management has no clue what people actually goes through on a daily basis (in 14 reviews)

• Customer service has always been a problem despite attempts at improvement (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

enjoied

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

good benefits nice co workers

Cons

no room for promotions, management need improve

Records Centre

Former Employee - Supplies Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Supplies Specialist in Toronto, ON

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A good mix of administrative, computer related duties and hands on warehouse management.

Cons

Repetitive work and dusty environments

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Transportation Manager in Brampton, ON
    Former Employee - Transportation Manager in Brampton, ON

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Internal promotions, good benefits and friendly environment

Cons

Red tape with respect to processes

Promote or assess individuals based on performance and experience and not personal traits that do not fit with your HR people

Overall good place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Burnaby, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Burnaby, BC

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work if you are motivated and driven. Management allows flexibility to manage your territory as you see fit so long as you drive positive results, meeting and exceeding sales targets.

Cons

The company's focus has since changed in the past few years and sometimes some of the campaigns that were rolled out to the sales team were make work projects. Limited upward career mobility unless you were willing to uproot your family and move.

Stable business with lots of opportunities to improve

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Steady core business; Growing new opportunities

Cons

Needs lots of work for a better system/structure.

A tremendous amount of growth opportunity.

Current Employee - Enterprise Accounts Executive in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Enterprise Accounts Executive in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

Exciting industry. Niche market. Great exposure to multiple verticals. Information management field of focus is inciting and demanding.

Cons

Very administrative. Tracking a reporting focused. Information overload at times.

Streamline the information and balance the updates.

Good Temporary Job

Former Employee - Temporary in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Temporary in Calgary, AB

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc

Pros

The management team is very nice, respectful and overall very flexible. The company brought in alot of temp workers. The physical work environment could be better, but the people are good to work with.

Cons

Physical work condition is harsh

Have a more accurate understanding of the things that go on under their deparments

Detached Management

Former Employee - Record Center Specialist in Aurora, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Record Center Specialist in Aurora, CO (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Regular hours, okay benefits/time off. It was nice to get a reward for five years of service.

Cons

Compensation weak to average. Office was a haven of gossip and backstabbing that was never addressed by management. Enjoyed the people I worked with, but when new management came in they forced out, for no apparent reason other than the new manager didn't like her, a 9-year employee who was a stellar worker and had irreplaceable depth of knowledge. It was incredibly disheartening to see such treatment to someone who had been so loyal. New manager immediately disregarded everything we had been doing in order to adopt more uniform Iron Mountain procedures without bothering to discover why our customized systems existed or how they functioned. New schedules were created and employees asked to request the days off they preferred, with the implication that senior employees would receive first choice. I was the most senior employee at the time, but was given my last choice, and was told it was because I knew too much so the office needed me on the day off I'd requested.

I left not long after that.

Management was blind to the unique needs of our record center, which was dedicated to health care accounts. Uniformity is fine, but ignoring the expertise and knowledge of the staff leads to resentment and ultimately hurts the clients.

The Mountain... The Mountain... what will become of the Mountain?

Former Employee - Sales in Royersford, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Royersford, PA (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Many utterly fabulous truly caring employees at the customer interaction levels. Corporate soul (if such a thing exists) is honorable & generous.

Cons

It was astonishing in a sales setting to have not one manager who had experienced any aspect of the job for which they were actively managing employees... To have new employees not able to ask their managers how to do their jobs (because they hadn't a clue) was quite completely insane. When I was there I was in on the founding of 3 departments (all successful)... We had to invent the job, do the job & then train new employees (as mentors) because the metrics driven management didn't include actual knowledge of the job as an ingredient! Yikes...A larger part of the job comprised increasing spend from larger accounts. This was hindered by the gargantuan task of making the Mountain appear as a professional seamless organization to its customers. The is to say it took much energies to make the absolute definition of dysfunction appear to be something that it wasn't. Nevertheless we were successful. This was mitigated by the fact that 150 companies were formed into one & unifying culture is not easy...Initially the atmosphere/culture was congenial almost collegial. In the early days Iron Mountain prided itself on never having had a mass layoff.. With the retirement of the much beloved CEO/Founder there was the expected shift. The new CEO came from the Airline Industry & appeared to lack the charismatic character of his predecessor. In fact initially he seemed to be sort of a cold fish. Outsourcing contracts to India (with much bounceback & lack of understanding from same) has hopefully been mitigated. The few remaining US contract reps had to do all the work because the Indians were clueless. Outsourcing customer service to the Phillipines initlally irritated customers...
    Moral has crashed. A wonderful culture has been gutted... Mass annual layoffs are now the norm... I realized that from 30,000 feet this is all meaningless. The core business of IM is not really the business of Iron Mountain (as is the case in many business)... The real business is the money borrowing business. The business is to statistically massage the numbers to appear as pristine to wall street as possible by MBA driven numerical gymnastics.This facilitates the lines of credit necessary to keep the whole ball of wax moving... Part of these metrics includes finding earnings by massive layoffs... Hence the new culture has arrived... A competitor said in a recent job interview that Iron Mountain is now just a "stock play"...

Have all Senior & Mid level management do a "field job" for 3 months so that they can have some understanding of the actual business...

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Iron Mountain Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Iron Mountain values its employees and provides significant benefits to its employees. A well rounded and employee centric benefits plan.

Cons

A lot of organizational change in the past five years but it is on the track to complete its transformation.