Ipsos

Updated 15 November, 2014
3.1

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot
Didier Truchot

Pros
  • More often than not, they have positions for part-time market research/survey interviewer (in 25 reviews)

• Good work environment created by the lower level management (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Management acts like they own you - there is no work-life balance other than lip service paid to the concept (in 23 reviews)

• Some extremely dull work, long hours for which you are not recognised, poor pay (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Great long-term career opportunity starting at entry-level

Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Manager in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I started here at a very entry level and have been here for over 7 years now. I am now at an intermediate manager level and have been extremely satisfied with the vast portfolio of experience I have gained, in comparison to my colleagues that I graduated school with.

Cons

It is very fast-paced and things change almost on a minute to minute basis. It is not uncommon to work late and longer hours; however, they have programs to help with work/life balance such as summer hours, where we get to take every other Friday afternoon off, provide laptops to work from home, etc.

Challenging role as a Market Research Interviewer

Former Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Winnipeg, MB
    Former Employee - Market Research Interviewer in Winnipeg, MB

I worked at Ipsos part-time (less than an year)

Pros

More often than not, they have positions for part-time market research/survey interviewer. The selection process is easy to get through.Ideal for those looking for part-time jobs.

Cons

The work is highly repetitive and tedious. It is hard to get respondents to say yes to the interview.Some potential respondents do not appreciate being called for surveys; some of them would swear at the interviewers.

Great goals, but acquisition of small shops doesn't allow transfer of corporate culture.

Former Employee - Research Associate in Ottawa, ON
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Ipsos full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On paper, the corporate culture looks impressive, but it is not transferred throughout the shops acquired in its wake. Relying on local reputation while failing to adapt to corporate culture is not sustainable.

Cons

Disorganization and failure to acknowledge the value of employee engagement to a successful team will lead to the failure of this branch.

Fostering a culture where sharing information is necessary, as is training management in leadership.

Great student job

Former Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Montreal, QC

I worked at Ipsos part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

hours flexible if you're a student
    evening shifts
    you get to meet a lot of people from different backgrounds
    Some nice staff members

Cons

very minimal management connections
    Was very hard to even believe that they were humans
    I had left a message on their voicemail because I couldnt make it to work for next 3 days, and actually told them that I will explain once I arrive because it was a personal family issue
    once I return to work and end up telling this to my supervisor (temporary one replacing my original who was on mat leave - but I hear hes still working there) he ended up saying "how do I know it's true? "
    how can you question a death in the family this way? I quit the next week. Couldn't stand being somewhere where I couldnt even get a proper apology after talking to my manager regarding this - my manager was good, but the person who came in from the Winnipeg office...not at all pleased about that particular experience.

Keep a close eye on your call center's supervisors,
    Invest in some training regarding on how they should handle sensitive issues. (ie, death in family)

Ipsos greatly benefits by the great staff with which to work

Current Employee - Research Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff are great, and fellow employees roughly at the same level are uniformly pleasant and supportive to work with. The culture is inviting and the work is generally challenging.

Cons

There is little management direction--or proper direction when taking on a new role. There isn't the best understanding of trying to obtain a good work-life balance among junior staff, which results in burn-outs and demotivated employees.

Fight for your employees so that you balance their workload with their personal life.

Worked there for 8 months full-time, almost three years in total

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

sub-par training
    expectations above your pay grade
    little career advancement
    poor management

Motivated people, but no room for advancement. Extremely long work hours

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Ipsos ASI is filled with motivated highly educated people willing to work long hours to get the job done. Good work environment created by the lower level management. Free coffee, and lunch is provided on occassion.
    Very interesting products and analysis

Cons

High turnover.
    The company is majorly understaffed causing some teams to work 55+ hours weeks on a regular basis. VPs and account managers do not recognize the long hours associates work and have come to expect it
    Senior management is not aware of processes, and how long work takes. Software is outdated and extremely slow, yet there is no avenue towards change.
    No room for advancement on most teams.

Reward employees for extremely long work hours. No motivation/credit for work done.
    VPs have few clues to what is actually done.
    Career advancement must be changed.

Good place to learn, start research career.

Current Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Vice President in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Ipsos full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

learning opportunities, rub elbows with smart people, move to other offices worldwide.

Cons

Like most research agencies, long hours, as responsibilities increase so does emphasis on sales. Like most large agencies, emphasis on pushing standard products , approaches.

Unorganized and disconnected

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Pros

Really sold me on the experience of the position

Cons

Met with three different people about the position, had no offer for over two weeks. Was finally offered a position at a very low wage.

Talk to HR, or hire more.

No decent pay

Current Employee - Interviewer
    Current Employee - Interviewer

I have been working at Ipsos part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work from home no wardrobe expense.

Cons

The pay is terrible. They think that just because you work from home they don't have to pay regular cost of living increases and think that they can cut your shifts and that you don't have expenses related to the place you live in, which is incidentally, the place they are using to make money. They don't compensate you for use of your utilities or printer ink and they expect you to print out lists etc. and they don't give proper bonus' for performance but they give pay reductions for less than perfect scores after 500 hours of hard work. There's incentives but they are like the lottery. They only do draws of every body working if the whole team scores a certain flow rate or number of competes and then it's piddly amounts of 5 dollars or 30 dollars and only if you're lucky enough to win the draw. And so one person out of a team of twenty or more actually gets rewarded for everyone's hard work.

Get a proper pay structure, I am quitting to pursue a better paying job where there is actual appreciation for hard work and results.

Ipsos Photos