Ipsos

Ipsos Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Ipsos Chairman and CEO Didier Truchot

Didier Truchot

Pros:
  • "Very good company or people that would like to make a career in Market Research"
    in 22 reviews
  • "great work environment if it's your first job, very nice people and free coffee"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "There's no work life balance and the expectation is that you sacrifice yourself for the client"
    in 15 reviews
  • "VPs and account managers do not recognize the long hours associates work and have come to expect it"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ipsos greatly benefits by the great staff with which to work

Research Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

ProsThe staff are great, and fellow employees roughly at the same level are uniformly pleasant and supportive to work with. The culture is inviting and the work is generally challenging.

ConsThere is little management direction--or proper direction when taking on a new role. There isn't the best understanding of trying to obtain a good work-life balance among junior staff, which results in burn-outs and demotivated employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementFight for your employees so that you balance their workload with their personal life.

Worked there for 8 months full-time, almost three years in total

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

Prosgreat people to work with

Conssub-par training
expectations above your pay grade
little career advancement
poor management

Motivated people, but no room for advancement. Extremely long work hours

Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than a year

ProsIpsos ASI is filled with motivated highly educated people willing to work long hours to get the job done. Good work environment created by the lower level management. Free coffee, and lunch is provided on occassion.
Very interesting products and analysis

ConsHigh turnover.
The company is majorly understaffed causing some teams to work 55+ hours weeks on a regular basis. VPs and account managers do not recognize the long hours associates work and have come to expect it
Senior management is not aware of processes, and how long work takes. Software is outdated and extremely slow, yet there is no avenue towards change.
No room for advancement on most teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees for extremely long work hours. No motivation/credit for work done.
VPs have few clues to what is actually done.
Career advancement must be changed.

Good place to learn, start research career.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 5 years

Proslearning opportunities, rub elbows with smart people, move to other offices worldwide.

ConsLike most research agencies, long hours, as responsibilities increase so does emphasis on sales. Like most large agencies, emphasis on pushing standard products , approaches.

Unorganized and disconnected

I have been working at Ipsos full-time

ProsReally sold me on the experience of the position

ConsMet with three different people about the position, had no offer for over two weeks. Was finally offered a position at a very low wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to HR, or hire more.

No decent pay

Interviewer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Ipsos part-time for more than a year

ProsWork from home no wardrobe expense.

ConsThe pay is terrible. They think that just because you work from home they don't have to pay regular cost of living increases and think that they can cut your shifts and that you don't have expenses related to the place you live in, which is incidentally, the place they are using to make money. They don't compensate you for use of your utilities or printer ink and they expect you to print out lists etc. and they don't give proper bonus' for performance but they give pay reductions for less than perfect scores after 500 hours of hard work. There's incentives but they are like the lottery. They only do draws of every body working if the whole team scores a certain flow rate or number of competes and then it's piddly amounts of 5 dollars or 30 dollars and only if you're lucky enough to win the draw. And so one person out of a team of twenty or more actually gets rewarded for everyone's hard work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a proper pay structure, I am quitting to pursue a better paying job where there is actual appreciation for hard work and results.

Good for entry level positions, bad for long time career growth

Panel Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNice people, good location, good coffee machine

ConsBad pay, poor upper management, little career growth, no overtime compensation, unethical practices

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue...Management is disconnected with what's going on within the company.

Interesting insight into upcoming product and campaign launches. Decent casual work.

Interviewer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Ipsos as a contractor for more than a year

ProsYou get to have an inside look into upcoming campaigns and products that big companies are looking to road test. As long as the focus group is going well, managers leave the rest of the admin staff alone without much interference or micro-managing. Sometimes snacks and dinner are provided.

ConsThere are no opportunities to move up when you're in the casual labour force here. I worked with a lot of young, eager, and educated individuals who were hard-working and looking for full-time entry level opportunities (including me). Many of us worked for Ipsos over the course of a year or two. None of the managers or full-time staff really gave any opportunities for us to advance or even discussed it. However, they were happy to offer us even more part-time odd jobs to do, e.g. translation, transcription work, etc. So yeah, your foot isn't in the door.

Ipsos bucks are laughable and the workload is very light more often then not

Research (Current Employee)
Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Ipsos part-time for less than a year

Prossubway in building/Nice TLs/Power has went out a few times there so you sit around and do nothing.

Cons-They continuously hire new employees even when the workload is dwindling. So they end up cutting peoples shifts down to nothing.
     - I get a 25 cent raise all of a sudden my shifts are shortened and cancelled.
     - HR department IMO is completely useless their incompetence almost makes you feel incompetent. You try to explain something to them and they try to pin the blame on you even though you explain your issue thoroughly. I sensed a bit of hostility coming from them.
     - Some tls power trip and tell you to speed up the call rate, which is about the worst motivation in existence.(that was enough to make me angry because it is like implying that person isn't working hard enough.)
     - No real incentives the ipsos buck program is a load of crap you are lucky to be able to buy a water bottle in a years time which only lasts you a month if lucky because it is so cheap. They are allotted something like 2 dollars a shift to give out. Doesn't even pay for the bus fare into work because you are lucky to even get 1.
     -When someone told me it was a horrible place to work i figured they were exaggerating a bit but it turns out they were being pretty honest.
     - Last resort job if you have better options i suggest you take them. basically you are just a number, they couldn't care less that you have bills to pay they will go right ahead and slash your hours to nothing any way.
     - Need to find a job before you quit

Advice to Senior Managementget your head out of your arse focus on hiring in the busy periods and stop when the work is dwindling.

Takes advantage of their employees

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Ipsos full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Very nice coworkers
- Large company
- Opportunities to travel
- Work with well-known companies

Cons- Inconsistent promotion criteria across different teams (i.e. easy to get promotion in one team vs. very difficult to get promotion in another team)
- Little recognition for achievement
- Promotion for undeserving people
- Horrible work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your employees

Worked for Ipsos? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Ipsos reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Ipsos CEO Didier Truchot. All 237 reviews are posted anonymously by Ipsos employees.