Intuit

3.8
1,677 Reviews

Intuit President & CEO Brad Smith
Brad Smith

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent and there are a lot of opportunities to move within the company (in 327 reviews)

• Great benefits and opportunities for lateral moves within the company (in 154 reviews)

Cons
  • Steep learning curve makes work-life balance hard to find when you're new (in 51 reviews)

• Middle management does not have a clue on overall long-term direction of support departments (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with great benefits and opportunities to move. They emphasize culture and live their values.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, ON
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in London, ON

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The job allows for flexibility and and the testing of new ideas.

Cons

Product is not where it should be so creating sales is extremely difficult. The department works in isolation- all employees are remote making knowledge sharing a challenge.

Pretty Good Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Intuit

Pros

Really enjoyed the type of works that I had to to. Colleagues were nice too.

Cons

Nothing really bad there to be honest.

Buzzwords, meetings, and false recruitment promises.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Intuit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation was reasonable and the benefits were immediately available. There was no shortage of work to be done.

Cons

Severe internal communication issues. Interdepartmental communication basically doesn't exist. Management is not available since they spend all their time in high-level meetings. A number of the promises such as "bring your real self to work" and calling it "startup culture" are totally untrue. An extremely corporate environment, where nobody seems to know what anyone else is up to at any given time.

Manager played favourites and quality of work didn't seem to matter whatsoever.

Cut down on the meetings. Spend more time learning about what your employees are doing on the ground floor. Listen. Cut out all the buzzwords like "journey" and "learnings" and try to be real.

Great company, Terrible team

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Intuit full-time (less than a year)

Pros

good location, good benefits.

Cons

The engineering team I was on (Not Turbo tax) was a very toxic work environment: mostly contractors who aim was to keep projects going by keeping quality relatively low, impeding process changes and lots of back room bickering. Management knows this but won't disrupt a team that ships, not matter how dysfunctional, efficient or wasteful it is and then asks why we can't do more with so many resources.

Hire professional permanent employees who will have a real stake improving the team.

Excellent culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to learn, innovate and grow your career. Good benefits and compensation. Decent work-life balance for most employees.

Cons

Offices are in the burbs. This means it's hard to get the best and brightest who live in the city...unless they know the company.

Amazing People-First Company -- People = Employees and Customers

Current Employee - Product Development in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Product Development in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked for several companies but none that have come close to living their values and putting employees and customers first the way Intuit does. Lots of challenging work and great opportunities to learn and grow. Clear vision of what the organization is working to achieve. The best teams I've ever worked with.

Cons

The work is interesting and challenging but at times can be difficult to maintain work-life balance.

Continue to keep the organization focused on the vision.

Great people great company

Current Employee - Manager in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people, great benefits. Work life balance is supported by management. Transparency of vision and strategy. Opportunities to volunteer and give back to your community. Good opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Change can be too much too fast at times. There have been a fair number of re-orgs in the last few years. As we grow we often have growing pains of broken or undefined processes.

We are a tech company, let's truly be a tech company and utilize technology to our advantage and be great.

Company's PR machine is good, under the covers in a different story

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Intuit full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Beer fridge, quarterly socials, fun offsites, salaries are industry leading

Cons

Don't stand behind the hard d workers, those committed to the company. 'Limited, chosen few' only

The people make it a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Intuit full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, I have great flexibility in work in that I can work from home when I choose - this is huge since the Edmonton office move.

Cons

Lack of upward growth, a lot of lip service given to work life balance but it doesn't exist for many, productivity greatly reduced as a result of too many meetings, lack of project management.

When traveling managers ask low level employees to fly cheaper and stay further away from the office in cheaper hotels to save money, it's difficult to say no without without sounding greedy, why don't we deserve the same comfort and convenience as the CEO and upper management.

Management ignored employee feedback by moving office to downtown and forcing employees to pay ridiculous parking rates. When management talk about the business it's about creating a great work environment where employees can do the best work of their lives because happy engaged employees will create a better products that customers love to buy and use which will result in better profits making the shareholders happy. The move to an office that significantly increased travel time also means more people working from home more frequently which affects culture in a negative way. In order to work the same number of hours I spend more time away from my family traveling to/from work. The business didn't do right by their employees in this move and, as such employees see the move as stepping stone to closing the Edmonton location further evidence of this can be seen by laying off entire departments to hire in the Mississauga office or by posting new jobs in Mississauga.

Promote from within - some teams do not see any promotions, encourage rotations in other departments through actions instead of words. Reduce the re-orgs and mass lay-offs, stop forcing people to move to keep their job.

Educate managers on travel policy and advise them not to expect or ask employees to deviate from the policy to save money unless the CEO and upper management are doing the same. Being able to travel from time to time can be seen as a great perk but when I'm asked to save money one week and the next week see the CEO flying on a private jet it becomes a big detractor and makes management appear to be hypocrites.

Bring back PMO!

Tax Specialist Canada Remote

Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Specialist in Edmonton, AB
    Former Employee - Seasonal Tax Specialist in Edmonton, AB

I worked at Intuit as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Mostly nice clients. Co-workers very friendly.

Cons

It seems impossible to have permanent employment and under paid.