Intertek

Intertek Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser

Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • We have the power to move into any industry sector where we see growth opportunities and the people to make sure we are successful(in 5 reviews)

• Intertek provides good entry-level jobs that help employees build their customer service skills and teamwork tactics(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance(in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given(in 3 reviews)

Intertek offers a challenging but rewarding career offering global opportunities to make a difference.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsIntertek has an amazing group of people truly focused on success. I've been with the company (through acquisitions) for close to 20 years and have seen a lot of changes and can happily say that I'm proud to work with Intertek and feel that they are proud to have me.

ConsCan be a bit bureaucratic at times (HR, IT, Finance, etc), but as with anything, as long as you fully understand the requirements - if you work within the framework the bureaucracy lessens.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communications cascading down to the rank and file ... and remember that the people of Intertek are the reason for the success of the company!

Poorly managed company – House of cards….

Account Manager (Former Employee)

Prosgot to travel to many cities

Consno work/life balance
    Inconsistent income aka…if you had a good year in sales they would penalize you the next year making it next to impossible to earn a consistent living
    My office had almost a 90% turnover ratio within 5 years
    Promotions were based off of popularity, not results

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to the customer you just loss than the client you might get…….Tenured employees are leaving by the dozens…Alarms should be going off somewhere!!! Upper level management needs to be let go. You can only bully people for so long before they push back..

Good opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsThe people are great people

ConsStructure can be a bit of a battle

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with clients more before making decisions

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, a good place to work

ProsIntertek has a diverse environment and allows for learning by doing within your own position. There are opportunities for growth if you happen to have the right management.

ConsManagement oftentimes cannot perceive you in any role other than the one you currently hold so transferring to another team/division is not offered or an option. There is a lack of clear communication from management, realising that some topics should not be divulged in their entirety, but employees left to their own imaginations as to the reasons for organizational changes will always assume the worst.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be tasked with writing reviews for their employees - stop using irrelevant employee self review forms as the basis for annual review.

Unfortunate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros4 weeks vacation starting, worked with some decent people

ConsNo formal training, "Sink or swim" mentality, no mentoring

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your new people

Good

Senior Test Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsProfessional company, with some team building events in the passed. Cuts now mean there will be no team building, which is bad not only for last years team (who are a little torn apart) but for new recruits.

ConsSome of the staff are not as professional as they need to be (as they are in other departments).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more open to change

Lack of management, communication and skilled employees

ProsPension scheme is good. If you like surprises work here as the management decisions will constantly surprise you.

ConsThere is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given. Salary is appalling most likely because they employ unqualified and inexperienced people which drives salaries down. Management is disorganised and appears to make decisions based on the toss of a coin. Working environment is very unpleasant, lack of facilities for staff. Lack of respect for staff. Appraisals are a joke with everyone given the same 'grade'.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou might like to consider communicating with your staff.

Great atmosphere

Science (Former Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsThe team was great and everyone was really friendly and supportive. We were busy most of the time but I have never felt rushed or stressed, there was always a minute to have a quick chat with colleagues or have a laugh. The job was quite varied and if you were up for some challenges or trying out smth new, you could have a chance to do so. It was great that we could come and leave any time considering we do our 40 hours a week (but hours could also go over to future weeks).

ConsThe salary wasn't high enough comparing to similar roles in other companies. There were no bonuses to motivate employees, there were no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the salaries, Introduce benefits and bonuses for better motivation

Contract work is good exposure

ProsEntry level exposure is good.

ConsThe pay but the work was aligned accordingly.

My check arrives on time.

ProsI've read many of these reviews and the positive ones tend to be spot on. Truly Indeed is a great place to work.

ConsAs a growing organization they're constantly working on ways to improve the opportunities for Its bottom line.

Worked for Intertek? Contribute to the Community!