Intertek Reviews

Updated 8 October, 2014
2.9

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • Intertek overall is a terrific company with great people (in 4 reviews)

• Massive, growing, profitable company, some nice people on the coal face (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• There is no communication from management, decisions are constantly made without consultation and schemes are often introduced with no notice given (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Intertek offers a challenging but rewarding career offering global opportunities to make a difference.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Intertek has an amazing group of people truly focused on success. I've been with the company (through acquisitions) for close to 20 years and have seen a lot of changes and can happily say that I'm proud to work with Intertek and feel that they are proud to have me.

Cons

Can be a bit bureaucratic at times (HR, IT, Finance, etc), but as with anything, as long as you fully understand the requirements - if you work within the framework the bureaucracy lessens.

Keep the communications cascading down to the rank and file ... and remember that the people of Intertek are the reason for the success of the company!

Poorly managed company – House of cards….

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

got to travel to many cities

Cons

no work/life balance
    Inconsistent income aka…if you had a good year in sales they would penalize you the next year making it next to impossible to earn a consistent living
    My office had almost a 90% turnover ratio within 5 years
    Promotions were based off of popularity, not results

Pay more attention to the customer you just loss than the client you might get…….Tenured employees are leaving by the dozens…Alarms should be going off somewhere!!! Upper level management needs to be let go. You can only bully people for so long before they push back..

Good opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

The people are great people

Cons

Structure can be a bit of a battle

Engage with clients more before making decisions

High turnover.

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

20 days off a year, good benefits. Adequate pay for what you do. A lot of corporate managers and observers to watch over what you do.

Cons

High turnover. This leads to being constantly in an "orientation" mode. They won't train you because they don't know how Always recruiting for the job and not enough training for the job.
    There is a disproportionate number of senior managers, auditors, supervisors. etc, that do not contribute anything to the bottom line, but travel around, cost money, and generate even more work that justifies their traveling around and spending more money

Get rid of half of the non-producers, Either give them something that generates revenue or let them go..

It's ok

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice staff, really friendly atmosphere

Cons

No career growth, most likely will be doing the same for the rest of your life

Compensation does not make up for physical hours put in nor use of personal vehicle

Current Employee - Inspector
    Current Employee - Inspector

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Regional office works fantastic as a team, the work is varied and interesting, work is distributed evenly among internal team.

Cons

Constant issues with payroll and expenses; low wage for what is expected out of each employee, no stipend for use of personal vehicle (travel can be up to 1000 miles per week), the workload is often greater than what a small group should handle under normal conditions.

It Is the Wild West, Depends on What You Make of It

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Truly global organization, operates with small entrepreneurial units despite its gigantic size, opportunity to meet some great people across the world, depending on your role, of course. I worked here 6 years and thrived, but that was largely due to my personality and initiative. That's the thing that's great, if you take initiative and responsibility, you can accomplish much, but don't expect that there to be any formalized professional development or anything, you can get it, though, based on your initiative. What helped me was that I was doing much of my boss's work as well, so this gave me leverage, but I can see why not everyone would be in that position or even want to do that.

Cons

Very high turnover rate, where almost 30% of employees leave the company every year - this is a gigantic number if you take into account the fact that they claim to have 30,000 employees, and they fudge all their numbers a lot. London HQ does not care about this, they even think of it as a great convenience because they don't have to shrink the workforce. There is absolutely no organic growth, and the company grows only through acquisitions. Then I have seen them change the sales targets on the top salespeople, all meant to curtail the payments made to the top sales talent. This is a counter-productive and short-sighted strategy. There is a lot of corporate cheating going on, as the company is set up as over 100-200 legal entities across the world, and many of these entities show that they are losing money. The stock analysts never have true visibility into what the company's operations are. The London HQ offices are kept deliberately modest, but then the Board of Directors really travels in style for Board meetings all over the world, so appearances and claims are very deceiving. Some people get promotions because they have affairs with top leadership members, and these are kind of open secrets.

Have more integrity, value the true talent that is within your company, rather than being a training ground for your competitors.

Going downhill fast

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Easy going atmosphere - you can do as much or as little as you like, many people do very little and often spend long periods talking to colleagues, playing on smartphones, tablets, mp3 players, browsing the internet, posting on Facebook. Nobody notices or picks you up on it. Basically you just have to put the hours in, and even then they are not logged.

Cons

No support or training. The training records and skills matrixes are mostly made up by the managers for UKAS inspections only. Lots of customer complaints with no changes made to stop them recurring. Nobody seems to care any more, or if you do then you will be very frustrated. No contact from any managers, they are on another planet and far too busy to be involved with the day to day business.

Hire managers with good business skills. Learn that growing a successful business is about more than counting beans every month and getting angry when monthly targets are not reached.

Dynamic company with opportunities for learning

I worked at Intertek full-time

Pros

The group is a very dynamic as the organisation and business structure keep changing every year. It is a good training ground and yet rewarding.

Cons

Too frequent changes may make one employee feel great pressure in adapting changes. Due to the cost cutting exercise, the employees' performance bonus are cut at the expense of employees' benefits.

Top management does not seem to have clear directions that result in unnecessary changes.

Intertek is in a servicing industry- management should care about employees' welfare. Turning around the financial performance should not at the expense of the employees; especially those who has contributed to the financial performance positively.

Good Company

Former Employee - Lead in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Lead in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company for any fresher

Cons

Not many growth ops after 3-4 years stay

Right Leader to the Right Domain with Right Domain experience would help growth