Intertek

Updated 27 February, 2015
2.8

Intertek CEO Wolfhart Hauser
Wolfhart Hauser

Pros
  • The company is stable and offers fairly good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• On paper a good company to work for has good core values provided by the boses at the top of the tree (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I was denied a request to work fewer hours to improve my work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• You can really expand your network quickly because of the high turnover rate (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Intertek offers a challenging but rewarding career offering global opportunities to make a difference.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Intertek has an amazing group of people truly focused on success. I've been with the company (through acquisitions) for close to 20 years and have seen a lot of changes and can happily say that I'm proud to work with Intertek and feel that they are proud to have me.

Cons

Can be a bit bureaucratic at times (HR, IT, Finance, etc), but as with anything, as long as you fully understand the requirements - if you work within the framework the bureaucracy lessens.

Keep the communications cascading down to the rank and file ... and remember that the people of Intertek are the reason for the success of the company!

Poorly managed company – House of cards….

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

got to travel to many cities

Cons

no work/life balance
    Inconsistent income aka…if you had a good year in sales they would penalize you the next year making it next to impossible to earn a consistent living
    My office had almost a 90% turnover ratio within 5 years
    Promotions were based off of popularity, not results

Pay more attention to the customer you just loss than the client you might get…….Tenured employees are leaving by the dozens…Alarms should be going off somewhere!!! Upper level management needs to be let go. You can only bully people for so long before they push back..

Good opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

The people are great people

Cons

Structure can be a bit of a battle

Engage with clients more before making decisions

Good opportunities to improve technical skills, but you won't be able to build a career there

Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Analyst in San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to learn how to work in a GLP environment and gain technical skills in the lab. As an analyst, you can work your 8 hours and go home without having to take any work home with you.

Cons

The office culture here is different than most companies. Most people are friends, which is a benefit, but some employer/employee lines can be crossed that way.

Value your hard working employees and do not base promotions off of who your favorites are.

Amazing experience

Current Employee - Research in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Research in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and amazing place to work. The management really cared about me

Cons

There were no cons from working at this company. I would have liked to continue working there

There would be no advice to management at this time in regards to how they could improve their staff

A good stepping stone.

Current Employee - Textile Scientist in Arlington Heights, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Textile Scientist in Arlington Heights, IL (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Most employees were very good workers and a joy to be around. The work was never dull. Management does listen to you, and is somewhat flexible. It's a huge international company with a very nice diverse employee population.

Cons

Typical problems: Too much gossip, some lazy employees that pass the blame. Very old equipment that broke all the time. Computers running Win 98, ME, 2000. Very slow to repair or get new parts. Unrealistic expectations of how long the work takes to complete. Communication is a big problem. Don't expect Over-Time. It's extremely rare, but when it happens you'll be working 14 hr days.

Promotions are based on the extreme needs of the company, and only at the beginning of the year. Management is slow to do anything. I found it difficult to know exactly what was expected of me in my position. I'm surprised this lab-location stays in business.

work

Current Employee - Executive Quality Assurance
    Current Employee - Executive Quality Assurance

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

coworkers are more like family.

Cons

Not enough hours and not enough work

more incoming work

Interesting experience...

Current Employee - Technician I in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Technician I in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I have been working at Intertek

Pros

A good place to gain experience. The starting salary for entry level positions was not bad compared to similar jobs in the area at the time that I applied. Benefits are so-so. The vacation time is phenomenal (120 hours starting out).

Cons

Unfortunately, new management and new ideas have brought this company to what appears to be much more of a stingy attitude toward its employees. Rather than paying them what they are worth and rewarding excellent work, the trend seems to be going more toward "how little can we pay these people without them leaving". I have noticed this more recently with newer hires. Yearly raises are very small, only hope for a good increase is by jumping positions.

Value your employees. If there are those that are excel, show them that they matter. Don't let corporate greed and penny-pinching effect the morale of your employees. You might lose great potential workers simply because there is becoming less of a sense of upward mobility to grow with this company.

Mobile phone tester

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Intertek as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Sorry, have to say pretty much no

Cons

Hired a lot contractor based on hours. Seems only 15% employees are formal. You came in the morning and manager told you go home because no job for today!

Management by Peter Principal. There is no leadership in any U.S. operations

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Intertek full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse work, many good hard working people, lots of travel.

Cons

little or no leadership, this national laboratory is foreign owned with a focus on money and high profit. employees are not paid well at the technician or entry engineering level. job descriptions and expectations are blended with a focus on keeping people from being promoted once hired -. 2% increases do not keep up with the times.

Leaders of the past made amazing things happen. they created an environment of leadership and pride in providing a service and a safer consumer environment. Look to the success of Paul Kolb, Louis Fiske. It seems like if you analyze true leaders that left the company (Don Nicholson, Brian Ensign, Niggle Stamp, Bob Ogorman) you might find they had integrity and solving problems and moving mountains while teaching and mentoring new leaders. I understand from LinkedIn that they all are presidents or officers of other respected companies. Keep people that are leaders and let leaders manage. stop taking good engineers and making them poor managers.