Interstate Hotels

www.interstatehotels.com

Interstate Hotels Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Jim Abrahamson

A good place to pick up the basics of the hospitality industry.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou get great rates at hotels that the company runs!

ConsSome challenges in moving between departments.

Invested in their people

Director of Sales (Current Employee) Scottsdale, AZ (US)

ProsFlexibility in schedule, depending on your position
    Very open forum for feedback from field staff to upper level executives
    Engaging leadership
    Training and growth opportunities

Consno tuition reimbursement
    compensation is competitive but not considered leader in the industry

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage field associates in decision making. It is working. People feel valued when they are listened to and actions are taken. Consider Tuition reimbursement to encourage staff to continue education. Review benefits packages for field-level associates and consider the overall value.

Strong Company with many opportunities but struggles with IT issues

Director of Finance (Current Employee)

ProsExtremely intelligent people always willing to assist you.
    Industry leader providing you with excellent experience
    Rapid Growth

ConsYou are just one of many
    Will not listen to others ideas
    The IT department is the absolute worst in the business
    More of a CYA company than I'd prefer.
    Bonuses are terrible. Change the criteria each year to fit the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour bonus structure sucks. You should really consider being more competitive.
    Your IT department is the worst in the land. You should stop accepting excuses from the IT dept heads and over-haul it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worked with a great team

Guest Services Agent (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsI really enjoyed my co-workers. The managers empowered us to solve problems for guests on our own. The benefits were good, with inexpensive medical coverage. Pay was decent. Great recognition for a job well done, generally felt valued as an employee.

ConsCommunication between departments, at least in the large hotel I worked at was lacking, so it made completing some tasks difficult. Assistant managers were supportive but were very overworked, usually working 60+ hours a week while higher level managers were going home earlier. I constantly felt bad for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAssistant mangers were overworked, needed to have at least three assistant mangers at the front desk instead of just two.

An ok company

Sales Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsInterstate is the largest hotel management company in the world...you always have opportunities (although most are lateral moves)!

ConsManagement does not seem to be consistent for each hotel...the culture of the hotel is really dependent on which ownership group management is reporting to. Most of my co-workers, including myself, do not have a work-life balance and are not appreciated for the work they do. Teams are always understaffed and management thinks we can do more with less people in order to make ownership more money.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more money on talent, training and recognition....it will go a long way for employee satisfaction AND hotel service.

No growth or value of employees

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee) Spokane, WA (US)

ProsThe job provides benefits to full time employees.

ConsBenefits cost way to much for an employee to afford good coverage. No chance of advancement cause they promote friends of higher ups. Management doesn't reward loyalty or treat long time employees with any respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that have been loyal and stayed with the company for years so respect. Even if it isn't advancement where possible at least think of them first with regaurds to schedules and holidays

A good company to grow with

ProsStable with great opportunities to advance. The company keeps a list of employees to watch for advancement, and always looks within before outside. They are a great company to work with, and while large, do make efforts to make you feel like family.

ConsThey manage for a great deal of owners; the communication and expectations can a challenge given you truly serve two masters in my position. I will say, even these challenges do assist you in buidling your craft, and do not detract from my happiness in my position.

Great experience.

IT Business Lead (Former Employee) Arlington, VA (US)

ProsWork life balance was great. Management team was lenient and understanding. Learned a lot. Got to work with a bunch of different things and everyday was pretty much never the same. Great for a first job experience in learning, but may/can spoil you and think this is the norm in every company environment. The colleagues are very friendly and the working environment was great.

ConsResponsibilities and work kept increasing, while compensation never did and was way below the average. Even though management was lenient and understanding, they did not know when to basically "put the foot down" and make decisions. Also, management would ask employees what they think of one thing, but then do the complete opposite, basically trying to show they care what employees think, but not really listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seemed like the company does not try hard to retain its employees. The company rather hire someone new and not even try to retain and value what they have.

Not just repulsive....BREATHTAKINGLY REPULSIVE!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Captiva, FL (US)

ProsYou will get a paycheck for the work that you do. But it is not enough to make up for the way you are treated.

ConsThe management is quite possible the worst I have seen anywhere. I am not quite sure how these people ever advanced to their current positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually caring about someone other than yourselves might go a long way.

It's about who you are

ProsGreat recognition programs… so many great things about this company if they change some of the corporate people.

ConsToo many conferences for no reason. If your parents know the CEO… you will definitely get the job with $$$$ ...

Advice to Senior ManagementHire the right people who you know they can do the job not who don't have a clue about hotel business. Be Fair to succeed. Please enough protocol…

Worked for Interstate Hotels? Contribute to the Community!