Interpublic Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

Interpublic Group Chairman and CEO Michael I. Roth

Michael I. Roth

Pros
  • Location (midtown NYC), work-life balance (in most functions), employee diversity resource groups (in 5 reviews)

• Great managers as well as great work environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Increased transparency from senior management and less politics when you deal with corporate in NY (in 4 reviews)

• Less direct compensation than similar jobs in the Omaha area (Both as an intern and as a entry-level full time employee (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

just one messed up place to work

Senior Biztalk Server Consultant (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prospay was kinda fair though it was less than few other companies in the area
    work location is good for commuting

Consworst management
    dont anything about project management
    lack of respect for hard working people
    incompetent fulltime staff , most work is pushed onto consultants
    lack of QA team

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to respect your best guys

Stimulating

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsInnovative thinking and strong leadership

ConsHealth benefits could be better

Not bad, but not inspiring

Director (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsFair bit of autonomy and some decent managers. It really depends on what company you work for inside of IPG that will determine your level of happiness.

ConsThere are a lot of politics and it's a boys club, especially at Mediabrands. Current leadership is uninspiring and there have been some questionable decisions made by top execs recently. Not sure what the future holds for IPG.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet in inspired, creative folks and let them have a say. Lose egotistical upper management who can't lead or execute against a meaningful vision. Identify the people who are currently really doing things differently and promote them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are good. There is some opportunity to work across companies held by Interpublic Group. I like the ERG's.

ConsIt is a very corporate environment. Although it is in the creative industry, many new ideas are rejected because of corporate ideology.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a more inclusive environment. Many decisions are made behind close doors without input from employees. If you're going to hire someone in a management role, give his/her future direct reports an opportunity to meet them first

Good holding company to work for

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsBenefits are good. Paid time off is good. The IT / Business Applications group doesn't have long hours unlike other lines of advertising, such as creative, account services, media, etc. My boss is knowledgeable and has worked her way up within the company. My team is willing to work with people to help them improve some performance issues, that are considered minor by management - (ie. coworker, doesn't communicate well to collegeaues in written format). Low level of stress.

ConsThis is specific to the IT/ Business Applications Group, I am in, not the entire company. I can't speak for the Finance, HR and Shared Services groups.

There doesn't seem to be any advancement opportunities. For example, other co-workers have been in their positions for many years 3-5, with two folks at 10+ years supporting users and implementing the business software. Other folks that were in the group, left after a few years to pursue other opportunities in IT/Business Applications, such as becoming lead PMO's (Project Managers or moving to a the vendor supplier side of business software).

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a career path for employees who perform well and deserve it. I can't imagine someone (who isn't in the C-Suite or a VP) doing the same job for 10+ years in today's business world without any sort of advancement at the lower levels. If there are no advancement opportunities available, how about providing the ability, for employees who are performing well, to make lateral moves into other areas of IT / Business Applications and/or IPG Corporate.

Pretty good place to work

Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood work/life balance. Particularly for an NYC company
    Summer Fridays and 18-25 vacation days = alot of time off
    Reasonable ability to advance within the company

ConsBelow market salaries
    Politics can be a little much
    Company parties have really gone downhill since the stock market crash

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is doing fine, they don't need my advice. I think that the pay structure tends to be a little top heavy but I that seems to be true around NY so what are you going to do.

limiting

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Downers Grove, IL (US)

Prosas a whole, IPGs offerings through its new specialty agencies are highly strategic enabling new opportunities for strategic growth and development. the challenge has been at the management level in making these offerings tangible and accessible.

Conslack of growth and development
    inconsistent direction and competing vision
    general lack of creativity
    management pigeon holds great ideas as they feel threaten

Absolutely no communication, leadership, or training

Invoice Controller (Former Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsBenefits were okay, and the casual dress was a nice change from most jobs. The hours were okay. Honestly, however, I'm racking my brain to think of these pros.

ConsA complete lack of cohesive training. There were three people training me during the first week and I was told different things by all three. There was no positive feedback, or any feedback for that matter. I was hired because of anticipated heavy work increase, but that never materialized and then without warning, after 21 days of employment, was let go because I was "not progressing fast enough". How can a person learn a job when the work doesn't exist and they are kept busy by pulling staples for three days? After I was let go, I didn't receive my check for 20 days afterwards, and the check I received was incorrect. I would not recommend IPG to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't even know where to start. This company needs a complete overhaul and communication, leadership, and training needs vast improvement.

Manage DBA's

Technical Architect (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsWork Life balance Salary Culture

ConsNot all management is on same page

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide consistent view

Clueless management, bad atmosphere

Account Supervisor (Former Employee) Brussels (Belgium)

ProsIt's a good place to start working in advertising. The network is still substantial and some of the clients are good to work for. There is a desire to do things differently. Maybe the place will get back it's vibe once the whole industry revives as well. Young people often get substantial responsibility early on in their career.

ConsThe atmosphere is just plain rotten. Cost cutting has started to undermine all motivation.
    The only news we get from senior management is that they've seen the light and that we're a team
    and we're all going digital which is as substantive and credible as a 60's ad for soap. There is a culture of making excuses and cooperation between the various silos is just not working.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some professional middle management in, preferrably not from the ad industry to install proper procedures and motivation. Stop raving about being a creative powerhouse when you're not.

Worked for Interpublic Group? Contribute to the Community!