Interactive Brokers

2.7

Interactive Brokers Chairman, President, and CEO Thomas Peterffy
Thomas Peterffy

Everyone against everyone. Highly political. No life

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free lunch and free health insurance (you will regret it later)

Cons

The governing style is absolute tyranny.

Crazy night/weekend hours, frequent wake-up calls. Your pay will likely not reflect that. Developers are production management team by themselves.

Everyone is anti-social. You will never discuss your weekend or kids/family with any of your co-workers. Even an elevator conversation arriving at / departing from work (I am officially off at that time, right?) is all about what projects you or I are working on.

Did I just say "kids"? Forget you have kids (or are ever going to have them), and never mention it, or else... (see below)

When looking for candidates, top managers always ask their junior managers (who bring candidates to them), if a candidate has any kids. This is outright illegal to ask a candidate of, so I am not sure how they get this information. A typical answer is "well, he/she does, but the youngest one is almost 15 and will soon head out for college." (what?)

The process of assigning blame (or getting your things ready in case stuff happens) is very important, and takes about 30% of your work time. Any minor system malfunction looks like a public execution of whoever was found "guilty", and everyone is made aware of that.

Managers afraid to make any design decisions, and the most specific request I have ever heard was "build us a system that will work for us". In the end if it doesn't "work as our users were envisioning it in their head" it is all your fault.

You will have to pretend your boss (and his/her boss and so on) is the smartest guy on Earth, and you 100% agree with what they say on every account. You cannot possibly have an opinion, and you should feel lucky at any time of day (or night; you do work nights) that you are here.

Unprofessionalism, Disrespect, and Hate are the top human qualities here. You will spend most time fighting your peers. Everyone thinks highly of themselves, and hates everyone who is new to the company.

People come and go. Some positions are advertised on-going for years because people don't stay for long.

Many people who currently work here will be lying about how "great" this place is. They think If they tell you the truth, people will avoid them just because of the strange things they are talking about all the time. This is a typical victim mentality, so I don't blame them for lying. When I spoke to a recruiter, I was surprised with how many people are looking to escape from this place.

There are many more things that you should know before you start here, but I want to get back to my Saturday morning, and move on with my life, as reviving these images in my head from a few years ago takes quite a bit of energy and grief. I hope I have given people enough warning to make them stop and think before you make a decision that will affect your life for the next few years.

P.S. I have learned a lot. People who work with me right now (at another company) admire my survival skills, and they say I will survive anywhere. Yes, this is a good skill to have, but I wish it hasn't come at such a price.

I work at another firm in Finance now, and I am happy with my life, work, and my colleagues. Interactive Brokers is the biggest nightmare of my life.

Invest in your people (no one would listen, but I had to put some text in this box for completeness)

solid job opportunity

I worked at Interactive Brokers

Pros

decent salary and bonus. good perks (free lunch). solid benefits (health, dental, vision, 401K0. opportunity to learn.

Cons

there is minimal training. groups are understaffed, so there is a high work load for each employee and tends to lead to friction between employees.

continue to hire new employees to grow staff as many groups are understaffed

Excellent company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary and perks. Very competitive environment.

Cons

Due to the small size of employee base, not much of human resource management initiatives

Pay more attention to HR issues

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

the best brokers i ever worked with

Current Employee - Market Trader  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Market Trader in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good working environment and career opportunity

Cons

too many strick rules this company should be more flexible

Mixed feelings

Former Employee - Programmer  in  Greenwich, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer in Greenwich, CT (US)

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time for more than a year

Pros

- SOME employees are very smart, very good at what they do.
    - Agree with other commenter that business is run in an ethical manner. ie. doing the right thing even if no one is looking.
    - Still on the cutting edge in some areas.
    - Minimal bureaucracy.

Cons

- Current incentive structure (no incentivization of employees) guarantees that the smartest and most motivated will leave. This is why HFTs ate their lunch.
    - Low pay relative to industry.
    - No growth opportunities.
    - Company is kept alive by H-1B slave labor.
    - Some groups are wildly incompetent (eg. HR, Marketing) due to perceived irrelevance by mgmt and these should be fired en masse.
    - Very anti-social office culture.

Get a life? TP runs this as a hobby, and I can't imagine a more boring hobby. If you're not HUNGRY, or know how to hire/retain people that are, your failure is guaranteed.

you get out of it what you put into it

I have been working at Interactive Brokers full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

there is opportunity for growth and career development. if you are willing to work, and become a versatile asset, you may be rewarded

Cons

could use more vacation days

do not stay long

I worked at Interactive Brokers full-time

Pros

salary is very good
    free lunch
    nice people around
    after 2 years, work is easy and not log working hours

Cons

No career growth at al. new comers are given minimal information to barely finish projects with a lot of struggle, You can learn more about the business/technology from outside than from your group members.
    You will be pigeonholed to to the same thing for ever
    Communication is awkward and frustrating
    Management is so obsessed with cost cutting, there is not enough head count, so evey one is drowned in maintainance work.
    Eastern European employee get better treatment than others

speechless

Demanding but rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Greenwich, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT (US)

I have been working at Interactive Brokers

Pros

Very little red tape
    Lean department means lots of interesting work
    Chance to bring many projects to completion

Cons

Too little time off
    Unbalanced salaries

Its a miracle there hasnt been an office shooting there yet

I worked at Interactive Brokers

Pros

They pay for your lunch
    Fully stocked pantry
    I heard they finally upgraded the accounting systems.
    The "party favors" at the annual meting/holiday party
    The Chicago people seemed nice
    The money flowed like water (at least it did in 1999-2000)

Cons

No life work balance
    Asinine procedures
    TP has to have his hands in every aspect of the business but cannot be bothered if you need his signature or approval for anything
    Office bullying is rampant at all levels

There are more activist investors out there that know what kind of outfit you run and avoid IB like the plague beacuse of it.
    Actually, keep doing what youre doing. Ive made a s---load shorting IB since you went publc.

This company should qualify as #1 worst place to work for

Former Employee - Treasury Analyst
    Former Employee - Treasury Analyst

I worked at Interactive Brokers

Pros

The only one that I can account of is the free lunch you are entitled to. But guess what, you are supposed to eat it at your desk ( which is the whole point of it being free) and if you dare to leave you will be attacked by disapproval looks

Cons

-disrespectful management - you will get yelled at for things such as the way you arrange your own desk, the shrift you use etc. You will be constantly treated as being incompetent and worthless.

-on your own - This dept is a bunch of people that happen to work together ( very far from team). You are not supposed to ask questions. if you dont get something it's your own fault, don't expect to recieve support. On the contrary, asking for one will put you faster on the unemployment bentch than you think ( happened to a colleague)

-Zero employee morale - basically 90% of the treasury team leaves within a year ( true statistics). Main reason - management that creates a sick environment, comparable to a concentration camp.

To sum up, do yourself a favor and don't even bother apply. You will not only lose your time but hurt your career and health. Don't do it! There are so many better companies out there ( happen to work for one now) that will put a lot more value on you and your career development.

First day on the job I was told " If you think this is a place where you can chat around with colleagues, you are not int he right place" Turned out to be the total true. I have no other comments.

Interactive Brokers Photos

Interactive Brokers India Office

+ Add Photo

Worked for Interactive Brokers? Contribute to the Community!