InterDigital

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt

William J. Merritt

Good

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsSalary, good place to learn

ConsNothing to say about this at this time

Intelligent, Motivated and Respectful Co-workers

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsInter Digital is a small company that focuses on the design of patents for cell phone technology. There are many opportunities to learn from an experienced R&D team. Everyone seems very motivated and there is a very good feeling of respect between employees (corporate politics exist but are kept to a minimum).

ConsThe employees are very skilled technically and tend to keep to themselves. You really need to engage yourself in discussion with other employees more so than at other companies. However if you make the effort, everyone seems very happy to help.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeek to improve the efficiency of communication. Emphasize small meetings and discussions between a few people over large time-wasters. I spend way to much in "required" meetings. (This may not apply to everyone in the company but many of my co-workers have voiced this same concern).

Small in Montreal, mostly professional in the area more than 5 years.

Intern Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsSmall, friendly, people know the stuff well

ConsNot enough brand name power compare to Nokia, Ecricsson.

Advice to Senior Managementbring more interns and get them have a full view of the company instead of just the sector they are working on. Too specialized for a student.

Senior Engineer at InterDigital

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsIt is a very challenging environment with a lot of very interesting projects. The technologies you work on are very cutting edge and there is a lot of exposure to patents and standards. You also have many opportunities to contribute to standards and write patents.

ConsThe company is very patent oriented and is still unexperienced with product development. Also, the product requirements vary rapidly and this creates more pressure on the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would tell them to try to get more feedback from the employees. It seems that they could benefit from receiving comments directly from the people who work on standard/products, rather than receiving them from the (lower) management.

Top notch talent magnet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsThe talent there is second to none. You can learn a great deal by working there.

ConsToo many corporate focus changes in a short time.

Great contractor experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorking as a consultant on a 7-month, part-time project, I was treated with a great deal of kindness, patience, and understanding as my father became ill and eventually passed away during the first two months of the engagement. I was also very impressed with the level of talent and professionalism across the staff.

ConsI can't really think of any glaring cons. I would, though, like to see the company leverage its vocational power (e.g., financial success, staff talents, expertise, etc.) to make an impact on society that goes beyond developing important network technologies.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a priority to determine if there's a higher purpose for your business than you currently realize and, if so, to get about honoring it.

Good place to work

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood balance of work and personal life
Time and resources available to pursue peronal research interests

ConsCompany's long term vision is not clear. So long term prospects are a little shaky

Constantly changing their strategy

Administrative (Former Employee)
Wilmington, DE (US)

I worked at InterDigital full-time

ProsNice people, pays well, good life-work balance

ConsLocation in Wilmington. Is far

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great but challenging place to work

Management (Former Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at InterDigital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork with some of the best and brightest in the industry. Very challenging but performance is recognized and appreciated. Excellent compensation and benefits. If you are good at what you do you can build a great career at InterDigital.

ConsThe company changes it's business model radically from time to time, in response to changes in the industry. It can be difficult to keep up. It's a small R&D company so you must work hard to stay in the game. (not really a con, unless you're ok with mediocrity)

Excellent technical workforce hampered by ineffective senior management.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Melville, NY (US)

I worked at InterDigital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent pay and benefits combined with a work environment in which it is easy to attain a good work/life balance. The engineering workforce is very talented and the company is involved in some exciting wireless R&D projects.

ConsJob security is poor - layoffs occur every frequently because the company hires people for new projects which are then abandoned within 2-3 years. Middle managers are more concerned with maintaining their place in the food chain rather than doing what's good for the company as a whole.

Advice to Senior ManagementA thorough housecleaning is in order. The CEO and board of directors need to be replaced with people who actually understand the wireless industry.

Worked for InterDigital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at InterDigital reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for InterDigital CEO William J. Merritt. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by InterDigital employees.