InterDigital

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt
William J. Merritt

Good

I have been working at InterDigital

Pros

Salary, good place to learn

Cons

Nothing to say about this at this time

Intelligent, Motivated and Respectful Co-workers

Current Employee - Intern in Montreal, QC
    Current Employee - Intern in Montreal, QC

I have been working at InterDigital

Pros

Inter Digital is a small company that focuses on the design of patents for cell phone technology. There are many opportunities to learn from an experienced R&D team. Everyone seems very motivated and there is a very good feeling of respect between employees (corporate politics exist but are kept to a minimum).

Cons

The employees are very skilled technically and tend to keep to themselves. You really need to engage yourself in discussion with other employees more so than at other companies. However if you make the effort, everyone seems very happy to help.

Seek to improve the efficiency of communication. Emphasize small meetings and discussions between a few people over large time-wasters. I spend way to much in "required" meetings. (This may not apply to everyone in the company but many of my co-workers have voiced this same concern).

Small in Montreal, mostly professional in the area more than 5 years.

Former Employee - Intern Engineer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Intern Engineer in Montreal, QC

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

Small, friendly, people know the stuff well

Cons

Not enough brand name power compare to Nokia, Ecricsson.

bring more interns and get them have a full view of the company instead of just the sector they are working on. Too specialized for a student.

Senior Engineer at InterDigital

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Montreal, QC

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

It is a very challenging environment with a lot of very interesting projects. The technologies you work on are very cutting edge and there is a lot of exposure to patents and standards. You also have many opportunities to contribute to standards and write patents.

Cons

The company is very patent oriented and is still unexperienced with product development. Also, the product requirements vary rapidly and this creates more pressure on the employees.

I would tell them to try to get more feedback from the employees. It seems that they could benefit from receiving comments directly from the people who work on standard/products, rather than receiving them from the (lower) management.

Senior Staff Engineer

I worked at InterDigital full-time

Pros

Small company, knowledgeable people, easy to approach anyone, great work-life balance, profit sharing designed for most of the employees rather than only top tier management, great bonus packages

Cons

Lack of direction, frequent change of goals and direction leading sometimes to frustration.

Plan ahead and stick with the goals long term.

Interesting research opportunites coupled with poor job security.

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at InterDigital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits coupled with a good work life balance. The engineering staff is highly skilled and includes some brilliant people.

Cons

Layoffs and other RIFs are too common - occurring roughly every 2 to 3 years. InterDigital moves from one technology to the next every few years and in doing so, replaces existing workers with new hires who are up to speed on the new areas.

Stick with your technology programs for longer periods instead of pulling the plug prematurely. Give greater say in executive decisions to technical experts instead of relying on patent lawyers.

Needs to Provide Material Rewards and Work Life Balance to all Levels of Associates

I worked at InterDigital full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Empowered to improve processes, implement new concepts, take leadership roles, develop ideas. Pleasant working environment, associates friendly.

Cons

Professional accomplishments unrecognized/not rewarded. Lacks a productive employee career plan. Work-life balance enjoyed, but many are not permitted same benefit.

Provide a career development tool for all employees and implement to ensure professional growth AND advancement. Provide a material rewards program to all employees. Recognize and value all employees (in addition to engineers, attorneys and senior management) within the organization to improve morale and productivity.

Interdigital Intern

Current Employee - Intern Engineer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Intern Engineer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at InterDigital as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work
    opportunity to learn
    Innovation at its best

Cons

nothing bad at all at this place

Top notch talent magnet

I worked at InterDigital

Pros

The talent there is second to none. You can learn a great deal by working there.

Cons

Too many corporate focus changes in a short time.

Great contractor experience

I worked at InterDigital as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Working as a consultant on a 7-month, part-time project, I was treated with a great deal of kindness, patience, and understanding as my father became ill and eventually passed away during the first two months of the engagement. I was also very impressed with the level of talent and professionalism across the staff.

Cons

I can't really think of any glaring cons. I would, though, like to see the company leverage its vocational power (e.g., financial success, staff talents, expertise, etc.) to make an impact on society that goes beyond developing important network technologies.

Make it a priority to determine if there's a higher purpose for your business than you currently realize and, if so, to get about honoring it.