InterDigital

Be The First To
Add Photos

InterDigital President, CEO, and Director William J. Merritt

William J. Merritt

Great place to work but in Suburbs

Staff Engineer (Former Employee)
Melville, NY (US)

I worked at InterDigital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCreative work environment. You are encouraged to do research and produce your own ideas. Competitive salary and benefits. Staff is mostly friendly.

ConsYou have to work in suburbs. Even though these days almost all the tech companies located in the suburbs. But if you are single person who would like to have a life outside of the work, it is very difficult to have a balanced life.

Patent or Perish!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay and bonuses well above industry average
Work on cutting-edge wireless
Job security for authors/co-authors of numerous patent applications
Mostly good people to work with
Relaxed working environment (typically no product deadlines)

ConsHard to advance past Member Technical Staff for engineers
Has a reputation as a patent troll
Limited transparency of executive decision making down to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to drive the business through engineering innovation instead of purely patent driven decisions. Good engineering will always create value in some form.

Experience not great overall. Coworkers were great to work with.

IT Support (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation is on par with industry for engineers and IT, however the KOP location is rather remote from any activities or a city.

ConsEntrenched in outdated processes, The Board and CEO trying to sell the company. Department projects and goals rarely met which affected your bonus - when they didn't cut it at the year's end. No yearly bonus if you leave before 12-31. KOP location is rather remote and all major access roads have heavy traffic during peak times.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to sell the company so The Board and CEO can have a payday, and get back to letting the engineers be innovative. Prorate bonuses when someone leaves of their own accord.

Need some talented higher management to drive this place

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
King of Prussia, PA (US)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment,
open research environment

ConsR&D not applicable that much to product development
The company is trying to invest in many small projects and this make it not specialized in any thing in particular

Advice to Senior ManagementUnclear vision for most of the employers on where the company is heading and its future. Management should make this message clear.

Fantastic place to work

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFamily friendly, fantastic people, great opportunity for advancement, interesting work, great benefits and compensation

ConsCan't think of any downside to working at InterDigtial

Horizontal structure and easy-to-work with Engineers

Senior Staff Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital full-time for more than 5 years

ProsProfit-sharing, Annual bonus, opportunity to work with latest wireless technologies

ConsLack of vision; This company is big into patents and legal so Engineers are treated as second class citizens.

Advice to Senior Managementlook at long term goals rather than keep changing your strategies every short while. This will create a lot of distraction in the work place and results in a poor efficiency from the Engineers.

InterDigital is a place that can be both a wonderful and frustrating place to work.

Manager Equivalent (Current Employee)

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsVery intelligent workforce; excellent salaries, benefits, bonuses; many avenues for learning - rotations in departments, training programs, and some really good people who are willing to teach you things and share their ideas. We can challenge ideas freely. While there's always a lot of change going on, it's a great company and our CEO is really approachable and totally gets it. There is a friendly, family-like atmosphere, very casual. It's easy to look forward to going to work.

ConsWe could update some of our internal technologies and maybe run certain areas more efficiently but the company is always looking at ways to improve so I have no complaints!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems like the board of directors has always been too conservative to give good advice to a tech company so I would say to try and get more tech savvy and younger members on the board. They should be more willing to take risks on future technologies. We are extremely smart engineers and management has good ideas. I always have gotten the impression that the board blocks a lot of the more risky and interesting ideas.

The experience was not good. I worked in a myopic, entrenched chain of command.

Senior Staff Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at InterDigital

ProsSalary
Incentive plan
Good location for families

ConsSuffocating, unexciting environment
Unstimulating work
Personal development opportunities very limited.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at past achievements of new hires and use that to carve a challenging career path for them.

Good pay for very senior level engineers and managers, poor pay to junior engineers

I have been working at InterDigital

ProsGood pay for very senior level engineers and managers

Conspoor pay to junior engineers

Good money for the work hours.

Staff Engineer (Current Employee)
Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at InterDigital

Prosa very relaxed pace of work, good base salaries, good bonus and compensation, freindly atmosphere, job stability, very good work- life balance

Consinsufficeint technical challenge, poor middle management who does not care about proffesional and carrer growth, most people are near retirement- very few young and dynamic people. Dfifficult to change groups- easy to be stuck in a rut

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the fat!. This is a top heavy organisation. Add more young engineers. Make promotions more uniform. Allow people to change groups

Worked for InterDigital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at InterDigital reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for InterDigital CEO William J. Merritt. All 25 reviews are posted anonymously by InterDigital employees.