Insight

Updated 17 November, 2014
2.7

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck
Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros
  • Good people for the most part, challenging work (in 12 reviews)

• Good place to start for entry-level IT sales (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • terrible hostile work environment, terrible home work balance terrible upper management team (in 10 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Would recommend

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, on-site clinic, several free food days and give-a-ways. Everyone is friendly, hours are flexible.

Cons

Don't expect to be promoted and the salaries are way below standard.

Once money is out of the way, people will work harder. Also to be more involved with their employees. The mailroom knew my name and my director called me a past employee's name for a year before I left.

Great company and great people!

Former Employee - Partner Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Partner Sales Representative in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Clear company values and communication about direction the company is taking. Great culture. Lots of free giveaways from vendors and sales contests. Sales and recognition are great.

Cons

As with any large company you can sometimes get lost in the mix. Such a large company it was hard to make changes to processes. Training for some positions was little to none.

Develop a clear path of advancement for those interested. Promote from within. Have management take training on how to develop their people.

Good industry and leadership with many opportunities for training and working in different positions

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Growing industry (IT), opportunity to develop new technical and leadership skills, Fortune 500 global company with a 25-year track record, environment is constantly changing/evolving which creates opportunities to work in different positions (you don't have to wait for someone to leave in order to have the opportunity to do something new)

Cons

Benefits are competitive for what the average large company is offering today; however, if you don't have $2500 in your savings account to cover your medical expenses, don't work here. It's a high deductible plan with a healthcare savings account. The entry-level sales positions are extremely challenging.

Figure out a way to grow revenue and increase market share. It's hard to create a winning culture when we are constantly in cost cutting mode and unable to achieve planned results.

Anonymous Former Employee for 10+ Years

Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Executives have moved from the "good ole boy" mentality to the current century. They offer a TON of training, but you do have to go to HR and ask for it if you want anything beyond "new hire" training.

Cons

Salaries and benefits WAY below industry standards. Favoritism is rampant - I know of someone who got the largest annual raise on the team because he was buying a house and "needed the money more than anybody else did." Executives PRETEND to care about their employees, but all they really care about is the bottom line. They set nearly impossible goals, offering incredible rewards - and when the employees make those goals...they hire a bunch of new execs who don't honor the promises put in place by the former ones. Morale is the worst I have ever seen at any company I have ever worked at. After 10+ years of great performance reviews and not a single negative one, I got a new boss who didn't like me for no reason in particular. He told me his second week there that if I didn't quit I would be fired. When I asked him why, he named a few people who told him they didn't like me personally - absolutely nothing to do with my job performance. I was fired because of gossip.

Employees are your greatest asset, not a bunch of warm bodies (as one former Insight Executive called us.) Employee turnover costs a LOT more than keeping the ones you have happy.

Good place to work

Current Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Partner Sales Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of paid for lunches and bonuses

Cons

They are sometimes going to bars that aren't as family oriented.

N/A

Client Services Advocate.

Former Employee - Client Services Advocate in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Client Services Advocate in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight (more than an year)

Pros

It's a good company to work for.

Cons

not very good benefits. They will only pay for a single person's benefits but if you have a family they will make you pay full price

Too much micromanagement.

Good place to pad your resume for the next opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Senior leadership--pretty impressive that the CEO knows most by name
    Cafe and health center at headquarters
    Good people work here and most care
    Sales rally event is cool

Cons

Benefits are substandard
    Work from home policy is dept by dept-would be nice if they could extend that to all
    Sales staff not trained well
    Buildings are old and tired; cube space is a joke
    Marketing seemed in disarray until recently

Work from home-the policy needs to go all the way around...not just for HR and IT
    Review benefits... They are not cutting it and you will lose out to competitors or to other local businesses

EHHH

I have been working at Insight

Pros

The people are the only good part

Cons

Everything else is really bad

Care

Very Political

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Predictable and uncomplicated job. Company pays and rewards (financially) for success. Some reasonable company benefits. Low intellect required for competence

Cons

Very political. Its like working for a medieval court. Only the "liked" progress irrespective of achievements and performance.

Don't be scared to promote your genuine talent in front of your mates.

Sales / Product Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Prizes, incentives, bonuses for selling certain products.
    Casual dress code.

Cons

- Insight focuses on hiring only people that "smile and dial", they do not value actual, valuable knowledge about the IT industry. The first thing they told me when I interviewed is that we do not care if you know anything about technology and provide very limited opportunities for advanced training (unless it is on your own dime). That seemed backwards to me as I would be selling IT products.
    - Sales managers are glorified "yes men". If there is any dissension among the ranks, they are fired or re-positioned to another division.
    - Company is a "procurement arm" for most organizations. Meaning, Insight's ability to source and delivery product is their only real value to the industry. There are no services or unique products that set Insight above local/regional VARs. To make matters worse their supply chain is second rate to CDW and SHI. So really they are 3rd best in the second tier grouping of IT resellers.
    - 90% of Insight's sales are driven by the field team. I firmly believe that Insight's inside sales teams exist solely so they can charge their suppliers an arm and a leg to host "events" at their corporate HQ.
    - Compensation and commission splits are well below market rate. In the 4 years I worked at Insight, the sales commissions changed 5 times (each time it was worse than the structure before).
    - If you are looking to sell value and really build knowledge around the IT Industry, Insight is NOT the place to start. It might be a good place to end up after you build the knowledge elsewhere and then become a field sales rep or support the field sales team (ie Sales Engineer, Data Center specialist). However, Anything around the Inside Sales division is a dead end.