Insight

Insight Reviews

Updated Apr 06, 2014

Insight President and Chief Executive Officer Kenneth T. Lamneck

Kenneth T. Lamneck

Pros:
  • "Good place to start your career"
    in 6 reviews
  • "Good people for the most part, challenging work"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Mid level management has the ability to make/break your role and upper management fully allows this"
    in 9 reviews
  • "There is such a lack of discipline from sales reps who do not care very much"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Should have listened to warnings

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsTelecommute options, teammates. The "minions" try to do the best job they can and actually care.

ConsHorrendously understaffed, poor middle to upped management. They will remain understaffed until they absolutely have to hire more. They will require whomever is left to perform their duties as well as everyone else who has quit. The attitude seems to be to run people into the ground until they quit and then do the same to the next in line.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the good ole' buys group that's developed from executives bringing in their friends from former employers. It will be the downfall of the company. Allowing these people to basically BS their way to get bonuses or whatever is ridiculous. You are a publicly traded company yet if the shareholders knew how poorly things were running and maintained they would run away from the company.

Constant change, no consistency in vision, concerning future overall

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSpecific roles have work from home options.

They are big on easy wins such as recurring 'take your dog to work day' and 'wear your favorite sports jersey' which helps build morale & enthusiasm for some who care about pets or sports.

ConsCompany vision and path is consistently changing, yet they never give anything enough time to work/not work. It's similar to test driving a car, only with a public company. The change results in confusion, no career opportunities (lots of promise, nothing ever on paper), inconsistent salary (especially in commission based roles), and a very strong lack of morale.

Mid level management has the ability to make/break your role and upper management fully allows this. So depending on your team, you may encounter great flexibility and trust or be micro managed.

Benefits continue to become worse. They focus on things such as a health center within your office yet medical coverage is poor and has been a deciding factor in some employees leaving the company.

Work/life balance is non-existent. You are expected to work nights/weekends on a regular basis. Everyone wants to be a team player and step up when needed, but when this becomes the expectation from management you quickly burn out. Also, you aren't ever recognized or rewarded for these efforts and are forced to prioritize yourself, often at the cost of your reputation.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease focus on the people. Don't just talk, but actually follow through and listen. Yes, we all realize numbers are extremely important but without good people you don't stand a chance at making them. Don't treat people as cogs in a wheel, because they will go elsewhere with a sour taste in their mouth & do well with a competitor. This creates a downward spiral in a business where word of mouth is key.

Good Start - Uncertain Future ?

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of Free Training and company is willing to pay for training travel expense. Training is @ manufacturer's cost.

ConsUncertainty - not sure what will happened to me after a year even after 6 months. They aren't the best as far as base salary/compensation compared to the other VARs

Advice to Senior ManagementReport to the right manager - just don't put bodies to any manager. Manager should look at the employee welfare than just the bottom line - billable hours

Insight

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood company, good people, diversified staff and core management.

ConsLacking in communication between sales and serivces

Advice to Senior Managementbring sales and serivce together

awful

Teir 2-Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee)
Bloomingdale, IL (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people i was in the trenches with were the reason i stayed so long

Consevery management post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties. work is accomplished by lower level employees. Lower level employees must manage upwards. lower level employees that outshine superiors are frowned upon in his establishment.

I had six bosses. Six. So that means that when I made a mistake, I had six different people coming by to tell me about it. When I started i was gung ho about using my talent and experience to help turn around a struggling department. By the time "my position was eliminated" my only real motivation was not to be hassled, that and the fear of losing my job. But you know, that will only make someone work just hard enough not to get fired. In the end of course I was let go by people who had no idea what the words managed services mean after the company lost 3 major accounts.

Thankfully, the client I served as a team lead for and who knew my work better then my employer, had not renewed their contract and offered me a position the minute i was available. Insight is a short sighted company with a HUGE turnover rate in management. Good place holder job but dont stay long

Company in Turmoil

Pre Sales Engineer (Current Employee)
Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood mix of product to support any size customer

ConsMicro managers covering their own asses.
Almost no leaders.

Nice people for the most part. C-levels were very communicative of company direction and goals.

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat communication from C-Levels. Employees knew where the company was heading or they were not paying attention.

ConsNot yet a global company. EMEA still acted as a separate entity making their own decisions, implemented seperate CRM. The integration of some of the prior companies were in process by had not taken place. Many of the industry standard processes you would have thought would have been in place was not the case. Did not always feel contributuions were appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat companies are determined by their level of service not the commodity products they sell. People provide those services not the products.

Insight has a dynamic culture. The Sales Teams are knowledgeable, customer service oriented and professional.

Partner Champion (Current Employee)

I have been working at Insight full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent training and growth opportunities. Management is supportive with regard to many aspects.

ConsWith the current technology, the ability to work from home would be a nice option, for more positions.

Good organization overall with quality people, but Insight still had plenty of room for improvement.

Account Executive (Former Employee)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood place to start for entry-level IT sales. Allows reps to understand the ins and outs of the industry and sales.

ConsToo much of a divide between senior decision-makers and the reps on the floor. Comp. plan seemed to change annually and not usually in favor of the reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate (or improve) middle-management. Company decisions need to understand the daily workday of their reps.

Great starting point, then get out

Client Solutions Executive (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ (US)

I worked at Insight full-time for more than a year

ProsIt's really easy to get hired into sales at Insight - every other halfway decent company may want you to have experience, so Insight is great place to start when you have NONE. It's basically where you go to pay your dues, or "serve your time" as many of us refer to it, so you can get tech sales experience and then move on to a better job.

Just look at it as a way to win free stuff and get some free lunches while networking with people who will all be working somewhere else someday soon and getting the experience you need to move on.

ConsThe sales training isn't very good so you're basically having to figure it out yourself.
Lots of cold calling.
Expectations and quotas are always changing.
Compensation plan is always changing as well, making it harder and harder for you to earn commission.
Upper management sets the direction and doesn't really care about how it affects the sales people, and your sales manager may care, but not enough to speak up for fear of losing his/her job.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be an entire culture shift and I doubt that's likely to happen. The sales force drives the revenue of the business and yet gets screwed at every turn. Nobody feels like they can speak up about how they really feel for fear of just getting fired.

Worked for Insight? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Insight reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Insight CEO Kenneth T. Lamneck. All 147 reviews are posted anonymously by Insight employees.