Ingersoll-Rand

Ingersoll-Rand Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Ingersoll-Rand Chairman, President, and CEO Michael W. Lamach

Michael W. Lamach

Pros
  • As a huge company the benefits are decent and there is a fair work life balance(in 17 reviews)

• good benefits and the time off policies are pretty fair(in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment(in 12 reviews)

• Senior management does not have a clear vision for the future, earning distrust from the employees(in 12 reviews)

great company for a short term career

Regional Director (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Prosmultiple divisions so you can move around and up through company

Consvery 30 -60-90 day driven -

Advice to Senior Managementstick to your LRPs - stop changing so often. customer satisfaction starts with employees

Trane account managers beware of some of you superiors are looking at the short term only.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsGood product overall , a bit expensive.

Conssome regional managers have other agendas in mind, rather than letting the salespeople flurish, they look after their bonus instead. you bring in new customers and then they dont need you anymore.
    You might be better off to look at office staff position rather then sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeware of the lower managers and what they are doing, its not always what they say.

Great opportunities for growth!!

ProsGreat opportunities for career growth throughout the company. The company cares a great deal about their employees and long term growth and retention. Health conscience culture.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult, depending on the assignment. IT organization could use improvement, as tools offered to do business are not best in class.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThey treat their employees very well and will work with you if you need to relocate. They try to hold on to their employees. They have engagement surveys and employee appreciation days. Also, the benefits are great. You get a health savings account that they put money into if you perform certain tasks, The 401k plan is also really great and competitive.

ConsThey do not reprimand people who don't work as hard as others. One person in my department is constantly under where he/she should be, but nothing happens. She literally does less than half the work of most people on the team. I'd like to see them crack down more on people who aren't pulling their weight.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the metrics off your employees directly effect their salary. I have a feeling we all get pretty much around the same percentage for the annual raise. People who under-perform should not get raises. People who over preform and keep their numbers up should get a higher raise. You're sending a message where people think it's okay to slack off and let everyone else do the work because they don't have any consequences. The people who work hard realize this and feel they can't do anything about it because it will sound like complaining. It's a slippery slope, but nothing is done about it because our "team" metrics look good.

Great learning experience, but I'm glad I'm no longer there.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Trenton, NJ (US)

ProsWorking at Trane/ Ingersoll Rand was a great learning experience. I learned a lot during my time there, and I'm grateful for that. I had a wonderful relationship with just everyone that worked there. Most of the people were so good to work with.

ConsThe other 5% were not so good. Kind of ruined the experience for me dealing with some of the management as well as some of the hourly associates. That is what ultimately made me to decide to leave. I still miss a great deal of people there... But I'm glad I'm gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook within your organization to promote. Truly appreciate your employees.

Very fast paced, nice people, and good for people who are either just starting like I was, or mid-career level.

Receptionist/Bindery Clerk (Former Employee) Brea, CA (US)

ProsEverything was very organized, and the person who trained me was very friendly. This was only a temporary position for me, and I had a easy time learning the ins and outs of the company.

ConsThe warehouse was almost too big, with way too many employees for a receptions to keep track of in just a temporary position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe training was great and I learned a lot from working at this company. I was in my very early twenties, and looking back, I learned quite a bit to get me ready for future employment.

Great opportunities.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities to learn and grow. Good pay and benefits. Unlimited training for motivated employees.

ConsHigh turnover rate in salaried employees due to work life balance issues and company culture to relocate for upward mobility. Business run on a month to month basis and in functional silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlign daily operations with long term strategic growth. Improve work life balance for performing employees.

A good place to call home

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Davidson, NC (US)

ProsEthics and Values are not just words, the great majority of people seem to be living by them. Pay and benefits are good. There is an effort to give employees a chance to succeed. Many locations to choose from and a variety of work options.

ConsWork life balance is not understood. To excel, you rarely can actually leave work behind for a day or week (or even night). There is this extreme focus on headcount versus achieving goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to the "what's right" angel on your shoulder. She/He is doing a good job of keeping you on the right path. Be open to breaking down "the way we have always done it". Take some risks to be a different kind of company. We have the horsepower to make it happen.

Great restructuring experience

Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee)

ProsFast-paced environment, great leaders, good tools, opportunities for career advancement

ConsTurnover in management made it difficult to build long-term relationships and manage my own career. Ingersoll Rand Europe VERY different from IR US

Advice to Senior ManagementSome European Executives need to understand the American concept of managing teams. A lot of micromanagement over there

I wasn't even given a chance

Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) Bridgeton, MO (US)

ProsExcellent pay, great atmosphere, friendly staff, wonderful benefits.

ConsI was hired on at a call center through a temp agency. The temp agency set up an interview for me with Trane (a subsidiary of Ingersoll-Rand) and I went in and it was an odd interview. I wasn't really told what the position even was and was really only asked about 7 behavioral questions before being sent on my way. I was later offered the job, took it, and was excited to begin work! I was told during training that I had been subjected to an "interview blitz" meaning that the job details were not given to us for a specific reason-what reason I don't know. I was told from the get go training would be difficult and take 6 weeks but I was ready. After the 6 weeks management would evaluate you and help you if you were not on the level you needed to be on. After your contract was up you would either be offered the job or terminated. Training was going well, I was doing excellent and grasping the material. I answered any question I was given correctly and quickly and did not require time to think about it. I did not enjoy the rapid fire questions but still I was doing well. I left work at 4 on Friday after my first week and got a call 10mins later from my temp agency stating I'd been terminated. For no reason. I asked why and the recruiter stated he received and email 30mins prior (so before I even left the building) that I was not keeping up in the classroom. The recruiter was very confused because he said this had only ever happened one time during his many experiences working with Trane and it had been a mistake. He said he would call on Monday to get more in depth feedback and to make sure it was not a mistake but told me not to go back in on Monday just in case. I was later called and told that Trane's management team would absolutely provide no more feedback and not give a solid reason for my termination. During training the group I was in was told that we were the biggest group ever to be trained and we were larger by 2 extra people. I'm assuming Trane hired too many of us and I was terminated to cut costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't waste time hiring more people than you need only to terminate them a week into the job. Also refrain from telling these people they're going to work their full 90 day contract but then terminate them anyway.

Worked for Ingersoll-Rand? Contribute to the Community!