Imperial Tobacco

Alison Cooper

Credit analyst

Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Montreal, QC
    Former Employee - Credit Analyst in Montreal, QC

I worked at Imperial Tobacco as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great workplace, fun people. The job is fun, especially if you like arguing and being in contact with costumers ( commercial ).

Cons

It's certainly not good for your karma. Some tasks are very repetitive.

Talking about business growth without addressing public health issues is a bit ostrich-like. Maybe showing a bit more consideration, overall, for the big picture would help with the business culture.

Awful experience, every person is miserable, worried about losing their position to others they work with, would never g

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco full-time

Pros

The money is excellent as is the benefits but you are selling a product that kills people and that lingers in the place in tearms of peoples attitudes

Cons

cant trust anyone. managers are ruthless cold and a little nasty. never know where you stand and was so happy to get out of the place

Definite pros and definite cons, depends on what you value out of your career

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time

Pros

This review is for ITUK. They do look after their staff well - good salaries, with an above average pension package as well. The work is challenging, but really interesting and we work with some great big name brands and large customers, which obviously looks great on the c.v.! We have a lovely, new, modern office as well now (free gym, great cafe - delicious food!); the working environment I feel is a definite plus point. The vast majority of people I work with are great; I believe that people you work with can make or break a job. My particular manager is good: collaborative, open to debate and flexible.

Cons

This review is for ITUK. The life balance can be more tipped to the work side, especially as when people leave the company, they tend to not fill the gaps so you find yourself doing 2 jobs. Whilst the company values are in theory good, they are very americanised and as an organisation they better value people who talk the talk rather than those who get their job done. They also offer quite a range of training and personal development (pro), but you may struggle to find any time to attend these (con). There are a lot of people who are 'lifers' and don't realise that the way Imperial works it is not necessarily the way other companies work, so it can be difficult to implement positive changes.

It is widely acknowledged amongst employees that there is a fundamental lack of decision-making that comes from ITUK senior management. It takes far too long to get stuff signed off!

Bureaucracy and Ivory Tower syndrome holds back the potential for growth and limits success.

Current Employee - Sales Development Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Executive in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Outstanding Medical benefits. Somewhat flexible with time.
    Employees are always open to adapt and follow new strategies. There's will.
    Stock could be higher if practices are more organized all across the globe.

Cons

They have an Ivory Tower syndrome: Trying to decide from the UK what's best for every market in the world when THEY DON'T KNOW THE LOCAL MARKETS. If you reflect on this, you can see why they're limiting growth and success.
    Career aspirations are not taken seriously. It is mandatory to include them in the performance appraisals but nothing happens after that. There are no serious budgets for training.
    Disorganized/ Bureocratic/ politically charged company. Sales and Marketing strategies are weak at best. They keep changing every quarter or so (how are you going to measure success with so little time).
    The process to get investments approved is ridiculously bureaucratic and inefficient (they confuse being 'cost conscious' with fiscally responsible). Example: You can get a budget approved for a project by all levels. However, they can take away those funds at any point during the project. This creates a lot of risk of work not being delivered as planned and affects many areas of the business. I don't think they believe in best practices.

Stop the 'DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO' modus operandi.
    You have great people who are willing to follow leaders with charisma.
    BE MORE FLEXIBLE WITH MANAGEMENT IN LOCAL MARKETS (especially the US = now your bigger market )
    Embrace change

Great company

Current Employee - Analyst in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great culture, expertise and vision

Cons

could improve in communication and procedures

Great company to work for if you like a challenge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working environment is good, demanding roles but lots of support available if you choose to use it

Cons

Benefit package is better than some other companies, but could be better

Great money terrible and repetitive work

Former Employee - Retail Development Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Retail Development Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great salary and other benefits and great people to work with.

Cons

Poor management, face fits right job, bullying by managers, nepotism is rife

Promote best performers and invest in your people

Solid company to work for

Current Employee - Price & Forecast Analyst in Oosterhout, North Brabant (Netherlands)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay and career outlook (long and stable with a promotion after after a few years). Family type company, very forgiving and room to nourish and grow skills.

Cons

Pay is normal within the tobacco industry. Key competitors are more red than this blue company, which is a disadvantage. Lack of cutthroat attitude makes the company always running one step behind. Colleagues are with the company for a long time and will still be there (blocking outlook to promote upwards).

A plan to achieve business targets is not enough. Create a vision that people can rally for.

Job for Life... I thought they were a thing of the past

Current Employee - Telemarketing Senior in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Telemarketing Senior in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been with Imperial Tobacco for a few months, In that time i've seen the companies core values every day. It's one big Family, they are one of the very few companies left that want you to do well. I'm really happy here and I hope to grow within the company, The Tobacco Industry is one of the most honest industries to work in.. And I love it when a friend or family member challenges me about it.

Cons

Only 1 but it is being worked on - Reporting System for Telemarketing needs some help askit needs a Jump start!

Keep the Family feel the same, don't ever forget that people work so hard because how they are cared for by ITUK.

A fantastic employer

Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, England (UK)

I have been working at Imperial Tobacco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

An exciting role with lots of autonomy - outstanding pay and rewards - work hard - play hard - challenging but really engaging - lovely values - great new office. This is one of the best employers I have worked for and would absoloutley recommend to anyone

Cons

The tobacco market decline - work life balance can be a bit off at times. Noy everyone is on-board with the drive for sucess and are coasting

Don't lose the family feel in a big organisation

Imperial Tobacco Photos