ITV Reviews

Updated 7 October, 2014
3.5

ITV Chairman Archie Norman
Archie Norman

Adventurous, daring, forward thinking, lacking real intent unfortunately.

Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great culture, care for their people, desire to do well but sometime let down by having wrong senior people in charge. Salary was great.

Cons

If only they followed the ideas that matched their ambition with people who could deliver them. It would be perfect. ITV's failings have in my opinion always centred around having the wrong people in key positions. I know of one hire that led to 5 high quality people leaving.

Make sure you hire your senior managers who are not megalomaniacs. Junior staff are generally very high quality relative to other organisations. We need the top people to be better who understand how to manage people and understand it is not about them or their ego. Anyone with a big ego should never be employed.

Working at ITV Granada

Former Employee - Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrator in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Generally friendly work environment, lots of interesting things going on, opportunities to work shadow

Cons

Frequent restructuring of departments, many staff on short contracts, difficulty in career progression in office based roles. Very clearly defined career paths meaning it's difficult as an employee if you start in one area (e.g admin support) but have aspirations to do more creative work it's not easy to get access to appropriate training and experience to give you any realistic chance of doing so. This was a major frustration for me and seriously held me back.

Be more open to diversity of opportunity of your employees, if someone wishes to develop give them the opportunity to show you their potential. Work harder to use the resources you already have instead of continuously bringing in new staff. In my experience I found jaded employees who had worked here for years frustrated in roles that didn't use their full complement of skills in jobs that they'd taken because their previous departments had been restructured. When I began working for ITV I was excited, it felt like a dream came true but by the end (6 years later) I had become just as jaded.

A great place to thrive personally and professionall

Current Employee - Assistant Producer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ITV full-time (less than an year)

Pros

With a very satisfactory work-life balance, meritocratic office culture and a very broad training infrastructure, ITV provides all the requirements for a professional fulfillment.

Cons

While the entry-level compensation may seem a bit lower that what could be seen elsewhere, there is a steady and fair review and increase in salary in proportion to time spent there.

Be a little more active in recruitment - ITV is a great company to work for, but it is hard to find the job postings

Great company shame about the senior management's continuous chopping and changing of digital

Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Product Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ITV is full of interesting, creative and talented people. I learnt a lot here, mainly technical stuff, but also how NOT to treat people as a senior manager and exactly what bad HR looks like

Cons

ITV was something of a victim of board level instability whilst I was working there. Every time new senior management. came in they would have great new plans for online which inevitably involved making everyone already working there redundant, then realising a few months later that they needed all those people and rehiring their positions or bringing then back as contractors.

Stability is a GOOD thing

Restructure, restructure, restructure, oh and another restructure

Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great brand, decent product, free average tasting coffee, in growth phase,

Cons

Little autonomy, clandestine senior management, no thought or care for staff, no room for growth or development, don't reward high performers, training and development needs are not considered, environment similar to a communist state, severe lack of direction & actual work from senior management around the day to day department work loads, forced good people out of the business because senior management felt threatened (personal opinion).

Get department heads to lead and manage rather than focus on managing upwards.

Very friendly environment and loads of great shows to work on

Former Employee - Assistant Online Editor in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Assistant Online Editor in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Very friendly working environment across all the different teams for different shows.
    You get to meet different celebs when working across the morning shows at southbank.
    The teams are well organised and hard working, getting all the day to day jobs done efficiently.

Cons

Can get boring easily with the same work load on a day to day basis (projects arent varied enough).
    Working equipment (mainly the windows computers) are very outdated or were when I was working there.

You come for the work but stay for the people!

Former Employee - Producer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Producer in London, England (UK)

I worked at ITV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people! Everybody is very helpful and supportive and even the top brass have time for a chat. Also, you do get to work on some interesting projects and do get to put your personal stamp on things. Also, great working setup with everybody using Macbook Airs and Gmail meaning you can work pretty much from everywhere.

Cons

Too much confusion of strategy and goals both long term and short term. Teams gets shuffled around or even disbanded every six months or so. Has always had a really hard time settling on a digital strategy. Excuse is always that digital changes so rapidly but most of the time, the confusion, chaos and constant re-orgs comes simply from management not being wiling to choose a strategy and give it amble time to settle in.

Be more pro-active about changes in the digital landscape and less re-active. Allow things to settle and take some more creative risks from time to time.

A profitable company going from strength to strength... Shame salaries don't reflect this.

Current Employee - Storyliner in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Storyliner in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at ITV full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. Some of the finest, most creative minds you could work with.

Cons

Personal development takes far longer here than it should - some roles feel almost unattainable until someone dies or retires!
    Salaries aren't great either - in comparison with BBC and Channel 4.

Please review salaries for those in creative roles - how can it be deemed fair that a storyliner (who creates, crafts and writes stories for some of the network's most profitable shows) is paid LESS than a PA for example? Salaries as a whole are far lower than our indie counterparts and I fear we are losing talented staff as a result as they are lured away to other networks and production companies for more money.

Great Place to Work

I have been working at ITV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very Friendly & Flexible environment. Easily approachable senior management.

Cons

Make things complex than required. Some times personal agendas take priority and as a result fail to make right decisions for the company.

Thanks for all your efforts with the transformation program. Put some more effort to cut the bureaucracy

extremely rewarding

Current Employee - Continuity Producer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Continuity Producer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ITV full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone knows who ITV are, room for progression. Extremely rewarding got to work on some massive projects including the 2013 rebrand.

Cons

Sometimes there is lack of communication between departments and other third parties connected to ITV which can be extremely frustrating to get the job done.

more benefits