ITT Technical Institute

Updated 14 October, 2014
2.3

ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 19 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

ITT-Tech

Current Employee - Learning Resource Center Assistant
    Current Employee - Learning Resource Center Assistant

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If done correctly, you have the opportunity to truly help students. This was my first job out of college, and it has allowed me to gain experience while working on my MBA.

Cons

If you are a hard worker, they will bleed you dry. Meaning if you volunteer for one opportunity, you will be volunTOLD for many others. You will work two late nights a week, and at the start of each quarter, plan on working 12 hour days all week. You will work saturdays and holidays as well as be asked to stay later than you original shift.

The worst part about ITT is their recruitment style. If numbers were based on how many a rep could GRADUATE vs. how many they could simply get in the door, the learning enviornment would take on a different culture.

Change your recruitment style, provide more room for growth and higher incentives.

It's very life changing and I'm always happy to be there because you can learn something new everyday.

Former Employee - Federal Work Study in North Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Federal Work Study in North Las Vegas, NV (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing team player environment, they're very patient with you and always want the best for you.

Cons

Not enough hours and not very professional when dealing with their employers.

Don't hire many students if you only want two of them to work.

So much documentation required that productivity was decreased.

Former Employee - Career Services Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Career Services Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Helping students and graduates obtain gainful employment was very satisfying for me. I had the opportunity to build a large network of contacts that were mutually beneficial.

Cons

The matrix system for evaluating performance wasted time that could be spent working with students or talking to employers. If the documentation was not done then poor performance reviews were the result. The fluctuating student enrollment led to instability due to the threat of lay-offs.

I am still paying on bills that the medical and dental benefits did not cover; there were definitely not worth the cost. Sending a district manager to threaten us with lay-offs due to lower student enrollment created an environment of uncertainty and instability that disrupted work flow.

ITT needs better department structure

Former Employee - Instructor
    Former Employee - Instructor

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The reward is in teaching others.

Cons

work-life balance, compensation, motivation, no rewards for service, annual raises based on how well your students do in your class.

Do not have the teaching staff call students and ask them why they we not in class. It is the students responsibility to manage their time and schedule efficiently. Do not have a students failure to attend your class act as a reflection on your annual review and consideration for a raise.

Great Place except when Government got involved.

Former Employee - Master Admission Representative in Spokane, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Master Admission Representative in Spokane, WA (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping students become successful, and finding jobs

Cons

negative approach to corporate management

Change approach to positive motivation

Good first job to prepare for the future.

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Nash, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Nash, TN (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Prepares you for the hustle and bustle of a for profit education job.

Cons

Management was terrible! The location I at was at lead by threats and not by work production. HR did not keep employee concerns confidential.

I would recommend some changes. This place could be great.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MI (US)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Chairs and management of most departments assists staff and students

Early Career Academy is a great opportunity for high school students to obtain their high school diploma and an Associates Degree free of charge. That is a point of pride to work here.

You can help students. ITT is a business and students are numbers to reach goals across each department; however, you can still work with students to reach their goals as long as you understand the business aspect of this institution. There is nothing wrong with for profit education. If you understand that coming in, you will be much happier.

Adequate pay for non-exampt hourly, especially in over time
    Fair pay for exempt

Cons

High turnover in all positions. Senior staff do not seem to be promoted into vacancies as they occur. New staff are brought in to take higher positions and with this, the new staff seems to have less of a knowledge base for their position than those below them. This has led to conflict, which leads to the lower level staff vacating their position for one reason or another, increasing the high turn over rate.

Benefits, in comparison to other places I have worked, are poor. They are very costly respectively. No incentive for not taking benefits. Benefit department is not easy to work with. They have overcharged and been difficult to work with to obtain refunds.

Training is not specific to tasks of position. Hit the ground running has led many people, very capable people, of falling flat on their face.

Expectations and goals may not be attainable and when taking a new position here, you may be taking a position that has been previously occupied by someone who did very poorly which may increase the likelihood of failure in attaining those expectations.

New tasks, assignments, and responsibilities are continually added to my position and other positions here.

I have witnessed a very cut throat environment here, specifically between staff in each department. It would appear that co-workers will try various means to get ahead of one another. It does not seem to be beyond some to step on another to get ahead of their co-worker and in an attempt to gain a promotion, despite being passed over previously for the same promotion.

You may need to work hours beyond what you originally agreed to in order to meet your goals.

Due to the structure, recruitment leads are given to the top three performers from the previous week first, which does not help those that were not top performers in the followig week, thus the same people stay on top and leads that are not as promising are given to those that are under the top three.

If you are in a position that is being managed, you may feel this environment is heavily micro-managed. If you are in a position of management, you may be frustrated by the inability to write someone up or move someone through the process of termination for cause. Regardless of your position, you may be surprised and frustrated by the lack of respect some co-workers of other departments or within your department have for your position and how freely others feel as though they can demonstrate that to you.

You may be graded on performance measures that are based on previous quarters, whether you were in position or not. You may pay for the poor performance of those that came before you in your position because of this as this is part of your review.

You may not be able to get your work done because of numerous meetings, conference calls and events that seem to lack attendance of the intended target audience.

Early Career Academy, charter high school, is a good thing but may have potential for serious problems. There are minors on the campus during the day, high school students, some that behave as one would expect them to given that they are kids, causing a disturbance. There seems to be no guidelines on acceptable behaviors or rules on when/where they can be. If there are, then the regular ITT staff is unaware of them. Also, there seems to be no supervision by the staff of Early Career Academy other than inside classrooms. I have seen students in groups hiding out in bathrooms, down back hallways misbehaving and just sitting around by the vending machines on their phones when classes are in session, but there seems to be no one around to tell them otherwise, such as the presence of a hall monitor as in regular schools. Regular staff members try not ot have any interaction with them because we have not been informed on what is acceptable, not acceptable, or what role we have with them.

Centralize your training when you onboard new employees. Specifically set aside a training period, perhaps hold training classes a few times a year at different locations, like other big companies do, to onboard large groups of new employees, especially given your turn over rate. Hold training away from the work environment, while having a more seasoned person, perhaps borrowed from another campus to fullfil tasks. Then send the employees back to begin work preprared. Have them go through online training onsite and then have trainers present and run through the tasks of the department they are hired for. If you take one week to do this away from the work site, then return them, they will be better prepared. It is too hard to train and to do the job. It is impossible to do a job that they have not learned while learning the job. That is setting them up for failure.

Consider the focus of this business - obtain and retain students, see them through to graduation. What is the best way to do that? You have adequate recruitment staff to bring them in, but you have poor staffing in regards to supporting retention of the students. The workload of a particular department needs to be considered when staffing, not necessarily the number of students, to determine how many staff are needed for an area. The front end is loaded with reps to pull people in and once the students are in the seats, you have a skeleton crew to assist them. It goes beyond teachers and chairs. Registrar, Career, and Dean are very few in numbers and no student services department. This is what will drive your retention up. Take a page from other institutions and learn how to retain your students. It is cyclical. You will retain your students and your staff.

This is not the review of a bitter former employee who was fired. I am current employee and I am high performing with no jeopardy of being terminated. I wish that this place was what I thought it was when I interviewed. I wanted this to the be the place I retired from. I wanted to be able to take advantage of the promotional opportunities that were discussed during my interview but they do not exist. Now I am actively looking for employment elsewhere. You can fix this for the next person and I hope the new CEO has a hand in that. Good luck to those that stay behind and as many of them, new and old staff, have come to talk to me about this, this review is a mix of all comments, mine and others. Hire an independent consultant firm to evaluate your business. You should want to know why you have so many vacancies across the board and why your retention rates are so poor, this is for both staff and students and is fundamentally the same problem. You have a good product here, for both students and staff, but you deliver it wrong.

Moderate

Current Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator, Senior in Waco, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Aid Coordinator, Senior in Waco, TX (US)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Low pressure and good people

Cons

Zero opportunity for increasing your pay.

Fix the pay structure.

worked here short term

I worked at ITT Technical Institute

Pros

pre-set curriculum, quizzes, exams, powerpoints

Cons

little flexibility, long hours, little work-life balance

Corporate Opinions

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time

Pros

Adjunct Instructors have open schedules.

Cons

CEO states the only employees important to the company are full time staff.
    Program Chairs and Deans are not held responsible for open abuse of staff, which is rampant.

Hold your personnel responsible for abuse of Adjunct staff as they teach 60 to 80% of your students.

ITT Technical Institute Photos