ITT Technical Institute Reviews

614 reviews filtered by
2.5
ITT Technical Institute Chairman & CEO Kevin M. Modany
Kevin M. Modany

Pros
  • Pay was decent for no experience and no degree (in 14 reviews)

• The reward of helping students achieve their goals is priceless (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • no work life balance - required to work 6-7 days per week and on vacation or sick leave (in 21 reviews)

• Tales from students about financial aid acquired through the company sounds shady at best (in 23 reviews)

1. Admissions Representative

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Arlington, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Arlington, TX (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

Rewarding, decent pay, great training program. Given every chance to succeed as long as you are willing to work the hours needed to be successful.

Cons

Pressure to succeed, like any sales position. Lots of hours to start off while you are getting your feet wet. Calls you are expected to make are fairly unrealistic and you get the poorest and worst chance calls to start off.

2. Campus Director

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehigh Acres, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehigh Acres, FL (US)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. Offers a variety of degree options for students that prepare them for their future. Structured expectations for each department.

Cons

Recently the industry as a whole has been scrutinized for their recruitment practices. In many cases our company has been lumped with other organizations on this topic. There is a high focus on policies and procedures to ensure this does not occur.

3. Senior Admissions Representative

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Learning a new industry great. We had awesome teamwork. The opportunity to help people advance their careers or help others discover their career paths through education was great experience. Speaking with the students to help them overcome obstacles and seeing all of their hard work and comment pay off at graduation is a tremendous feeling.

Cons

Though there are not many cons I would say the biggest cons would be working on holidays that are company scheduled off days with very short notice. One other con but was necessary to is continuing to call prospective students who clearly were on interested in going to school.

5. DOF

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Huge Scholarships available to almost everyone. Great location, great school, good and hands-on learning environment.

Cons

The degree is not handed to you, you have to work for it. Not really a con, but the truth. I like it!

6. Educational Recruiter

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

The best reason to work for ITT Tech is that the position is 100% salary even though it's a sales position. I also enjoyed the team that I was working with.

Cons

The upper leadership puts a lot of pressure for you to register students whether or not it's in the best interest of the student. All training is self taught. You do independent online training then practice on your own. You do 60 or more outbound calls a day and customers can be very rude. They claim the calls aren't cold but they are.

Advice to Management

Have more in depth training and more opportunities for growth in the company.

7. Great place

Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute full-time

Pros

Hours, management doesn't bother you, career advancements

Cons

benefits, horrible pay and layoff

Advice to Management

HQ needs to value their employees more at local campuses

8. Not a bad place to work

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Paycheck never bounced. I'm generally happy.

Cons

Corporate can be a pain at times, but who doesn't complain about corporate.

9. It's hard to be a college instructor when most students aren't motivated or academically prepared for the classes

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at ITT Technical Institute as a contractor

Pros

The administration works hard to try to help you be a successful teacher. The students who are motivated are joys to work with. The instructional materials are very useful.

Cons

Most students lack the academic background and motivation to succeed in college-level courses. The amount of hand holding and spoon feeding of information that most of the students require is what normally would be done with students in elementary school. It's hard to maintain student engagement during classes that are 3 hours long and when their days may include two three-hour long classes.

Advice to Management

Steer students toward curricula in which they are most likely to succeed. For instance, students who are virtually illiterate aren't going to be able to succeed in the nursing curriculum.

10. The business of education

Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Cary, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Adjunct Instructor in Cary, NC (US)

I worked at ITT Technical Institute part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, staff and students, were very nice. There was a good atmosphere at the school overall and a fair bit of flexibility.

Cons

I found that what was smart for business was not the same as what supported education. Nothing huge, but I would have liked more emphasis on curriculum for the students' needs.

Advice to Management

People are the business of education - for-profit schools might easily fall into placing too much emphasis on profit instead of graduating well prepared students.

11. Use this as stepping stone

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Hilliard, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Hilliard, OH (US)

I have been working at ITT Technical Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engaging with the students
    Decent pay
    Not really much else

Cons

This is cold calling/telemarketing; they reel you in with the belief that you will be doing more direct contact with students, but no, you are a telemarketer
    The hours are horrible, plan to work 5 hours every Saturday and you are required to work hours outside the norm because orientations, career fairs, and graduations you are required to attend
    Micro-management is a constant - never have I worked some where which the number of restroom trips were counted
    Walk-ins and phone ins are given to people who are already doing well rather than people that are struggling, leading to discouragement for those struggling
    It's not about helping the student to find the best fit at all; it's about getting them signed up for a program period.

Advice to Management

Reconsider your stance on pretty much everything; management makes people feel like labor workers, our own personal time is not valuable (no work-life balance) and we are strapped to our phones. Actually make it about the student and not just getting them signed up; most of them recognize a high-pressure sales situation when they are in one and that is pretty much as soon as they walk in the door.

ITT Technical Institute Photos