IRS

Updated 21 February, 2015
Updated 21 February, 2015
3.5

John Koskinen

Pros
  • It also offers a great work/life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 5 reviews)

• Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good benefits & work/life balance, but budget is an issue

Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Internal Revenue Agent in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Excellent government benefits, including paid leave plus separate sick leave. 5% matching on TSP, which IMO is better than most 401(k) plans. Flexible work schedules, including working from home. When the Service is hiring, there are lots of different jobs within the agency if you're looking for a change in duties.

Cons

Congress has slashed the budget, which has caused pay & hiring freezes, lowering morale. Promotion opprtunities are currently scarce. Quality of management varies by area & working unit.

Not worth it if you're wanting autonomy in the workplace

Current Employee - Accounts Management Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Accounts Management Customer Service Representative

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

health benefits and retirement

Cons

constant worry about budget constraints and how it will affect your future employment, negative public perception, constant bureaucratic problems, horrible management

For the Lazy

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't really need to show up. Don't have to do so much work. Pay is good for the hours worked. Talk to interesting people in the private sector. Automatic promotions based on seniority. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The other employees are pretty lazy, angry, mean. Most don't show up and don't do the work. Some are over-zealous and yell at other people all day. There's a total lack of incentive structure and lack of accountability. I could never tell who was in charge or what we were supposed to be doing. Meetings at times can be almost everyday and take up the entire day. Other times, people don't show up for a month.

The inability to fire workers leads the federal government, in particular the IRS, to retain the meanest and laziest employees whom are unable to find work elsewhere. Since there is no accountability or incentive, the only recourse for those hard working employees is to leave. This causes a perpetuation of negativity and ineptitude. A private sector CEO knows that no matter the ability of an employee, if the employee is perpetuation a negative culture, that employee must be fired or otherwise will harm the morale of other employees. As I had no recourse for the constant harassment by the other employees, and the increasingly depressing environment, I had to leave an otherwise interesting job. Management has "Town Hall" meetings to answer questions from employees, but ends up telling us about our complaints with no suggestions on how we can improve. They then congratulate themselves for being great leaders. Arrogance abound. If we have complaints to the "leadership" we will be punished and/or fired. We have no HR - we have a union which charges each employee outlandishly high fees, intimidates us to pay them, and ultimately provides no service. We are then left with no recourse for complaints or suggestions. We are promoted on seniority (the employees who must stay there a few years without quitting because they're unable to find a job elsewhere) and not merit. My complaints of harassment, sexual harassment, illegal forced overtime, violations of law, waste of funds, corruption, and incompetence were ignored. Their only interest is keeping me quiet. I felt guilty about leaving the government in such a mess, rather than doing my duty as an American citizen to improve it. There was nobody to listen and nobody to care. Nobody wants to rock the boat. They're just waiting for their retirement. Wasting your life watching TV and harassing coworkers until you can retire is a truly shameful way to live.

Review

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Andover, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Andover, MA (US)

I have been working at IRS

Pros

Benefits and security definitely plus the commute is fantastic. obviously I should have decent pay because I have been there over 17 years now. The credit union there has been a life saver and helped me out tremendously also!

Cons

Definitely that the job I feel is not structured or organized well. The way things are done makes it hard for employees to get to know their job in my department Accounts Management especially because there are too many different things we are expected to do with no adequate training. Also hard for employees to have a lot of morale because of Congress cutting budget for so many years now and with so many pay freezes recently.

To streamline and change some procedures in the job so employees feel like they know and can do their job better. This will give employees more confidence and satisfaction with their job and also give them more morale.

High stress, always on the move

Former Employee - Case Advocate
    Former Employee - Case Advocate

I worked at IRS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Helping people and working with others outside the service to solve taxpayers problems. Online learning opportunities.

Cons

Lots of extra work all times of the year but not enough people or time to get it done still expected same quality of work to get done in same amount of time

A foot in the door of federal service

Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - IRS Contact Representative in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at IRS

Pros

No security clearance required.
    Adequate training.

Cons

No real opportunities for growth.
    High turnover rates.

Provide career ladder opportunities to your teams and encourage professional growth.

No longer feels like a career.

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules and great coworkers make the job something I've stayed with. Possible advancement opportunities in the future and the time I've already put in make me stay. Frontline employees really care about doing a good job and treating people fairly.

Cons

The current atmosphere is insane. Managers get up to 6.9% bonuses while the people doing the work haven't seen an increase to cover inflation in over a decade. There's no support for the frontline and no current advancement or training opportunities. Yet the managers can still travel for meet and greets...and get those fat bonuses.

Remember the people that do the work and make the job many people have chosen for their career mean something again.

Customer Service is terrible for employees

Current Employee - Supervisory Contact Representative in Franklin, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisory Contact Representative in Franklin, TN (US)

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good. Being off on every federal holiday is a plus. The amount of leave you can accrue is good as well.

Cons

Management as a whole is terrible. You have a few good managers and a lot of bad ones. There is no opportunities once you reach journey level in the Contact Representative position, and no perm jobs available.

Communication is key and the managers that treat you like trash need to go

Ok, not much opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Tax Examining Technician in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IRS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is really a very easy, informal, and non stressful job. There is very little to no phone work required. Time off, for vacation or sick time, is consistent with all other federal positions. The atmosphere is generally laid back, and the building is pretty nice.

Cons

Management is largely irrational, but generally nice. I guess it is fairly consistent with the level of work; since it's very uncomplicated, the qualifications to supervise it must not be very high. Each manager seemed to care about numbers and meeting requirements.

Try to realize perspective, and understand that while benchmarks are necessary, they do not ensure accuracy and do not account for technical outages and other factors beyond the employees' control

IRS Photos

Internal Revenue Service (IRS) (Photo thanks to Flickr user cliff1066tm, available under by 2.0)
IRS Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user davidboeke, available under by-sa v2.0)
Grand Architecture - This grand facade is the IRS Building on 12th Street NW! (Photo thanks to Flickr user SP8254, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo