IRS

www.irs.gov

IRS Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

John Koskinen

Pros
  • Good work life balance, great learning experience (in 31 reviews)

• Good Benefits, working with great co-workers who will help you when needed (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • The downside is that there have been a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and furlough (in 7 reviews)

• Lack of career advancement due to budget and status quo (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

It's really a lot better than you think!

Tax Examiner (Current Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsI love working for the IRS! Its really an amazing place to work.The people are nice, caring and really helpful.They train you for the position so no prior knowledge is needed. It's also a really great way to earn a lot of money fast.

ConsThe work is seasonal so you never know when its going to end. for the most part expect it to last 4-6 months but it all depends on the work flow.

better than unemployment

Internal Revenue Agent (Former Employee) Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

ProsBenefits, pay, hours, retirement benefits

ConsEven though government employees are not supposed to discuss politics, I had several very liberal managers who were always bashing Republicans. Additionally, I felt like I had to be in the union to protect myself from incompetent managers. The managers made it into management because early on when they should have been fired, the union helped them. They learned how to use the system and IRS was afraid not to promote them.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the lousy employees who shouldn't make it past their probation. They are dead weight and taxpayers shouldn't be paying their salaries forever!

Great place to work and learn about individual and business tax payers.

Tax Examining Clerk (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsConstantly training, shared values ,and compensation.

ConsTax deadlines such as April 15th and October 15th .

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees suggestion and concerns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Experience

Budget Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat way to get your foot in the door working for the government. Great work life balance. Remote work is being enforce more over the next few years.

ConsClimbing the ladder is not merit based, but rather time serviced. Work can become redundant and its hard to move around once stuck in a job series and grade. Th

Not what I expected

Contact Representative (Current Employee) Andover, MA (US)

ProsFederal employment has great benefits. The position comes with training however it is far from what you need to be fully prepared. It can be interesting if you like dealing with complex tax questions and constant change.

ConsOnce in the IRS it is not as easy to move to different positions as believed. The service centers are call centers and run like commercial call centers with the same demands for handling time, etc. and your work is randomly reviewed several times a month which is what defines your entire month. Supervisors are moved around frequently and without warning and your work/life satisfaction can change overnight. Layoffs come with very short warning and sometimes the same day. The hours are challenging 6am to 2:30 pm. For some that works for others it's exhausting. The other shift available is 3pm to 11:30. You can not file a extension or an amended return or have an installment agreement for taxes owed so make sure you get it right and paid in full. The current political environment has resulted in longer layoffs, sequestration, no pay increases for 3 years and then only a 1% increase, and no more education benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement seems to focus on the negative. There does not seem to be any way of measuring the overall performance of the employee only the few case reviews done monthly which can be affected by the particulars of the case or circumstances surrounding the particular time the review was done.

The reason why it should not be run with the same metrics of a commercial call center is because the taxpayers are not customers, they are the employer. They are trying to comply with complex laws and should not be rushed off the phone so the CSR can meet call handling requirements. It makes no difference if you give good customer service if the random call or paper case happens to have an error because you are given a bad assessment. Errors can be as small as not using the proper wording in a letter or forgetting to apologize for asking someone to hold even though you thanked them for holding and still satisfied all of their questions. It's is demoralizing because you are not recognized for the 99.9% of what you do right, only for the .1% of what you do wrong.

If you are subject to a sudden manager shift and you don't adapt immediately, or your new manager just doesn't care for you, your career can be harmed even though you were highly successful all along. Union membership is almost required to protect you but even then the retaliation still happens.

Regarding the scandals, there are a lot of good, hard working , honest, law abiding citizens that have to do a lot of things they don't like in their daily work, so to see the upper management being protected by the new leadership is very frustrating to many.

clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe alternative afternoon hours and temporary nature of the job fit into my schedule. Low stress job and not too hard.

ConsThere wasn't very much variety, so things got boring sometimes. Overall, it wasn't that bad and I wouldn't mind working there again.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Continuously learning, but the administrative work can be overwhelming.

Internal Revenue Agent (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsBenefits are amazing and pay decent given the hours worked. Also, Revenue Agents have the flexibility to work at home.

ConsThere are a lot of politics and there is poor communication between divisions resulting in duplicated efforts and inefficient use of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on empowering employees and making the internal systems more efficient.

Amazing career

Management/Program Analyst (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsThere are a lot of career paths and opportunities to pursue that offer decent compensation without requiring extensive travel or long hours.

ConsIf you hit a bad manager/supervisor the organization turns a blind eye.

Good experience.

Temporary Tax Examiner (Current Employee)

ProsThis job will be here for me next year.

ConsThere are not many chances to enter as any but a temporary emloyee

Great experience

IT Specialist (Current Employee) Lanham, MD (US)

ProsTelecommute. Parking is free. Free online training if you have time. Generally, it is a friendly place and people to work.

ConsWork can be repeatable and tedious at times.

Worked for IRS? Contribute to the Community!