IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work(in 55 reviews)

• Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers(in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours(in 18 reviews)

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsVery professional, very clear about what your duties and roles are, which is surprisingly uncommon in retail. The cafetaria is the best lunch-room I've ever had at any job - the I believe $5 lunch buffets everyday were awesome and the staff who served it were very nice. Also, they were generous with breaks, which is not always the case in Alberta as they are not technically mandatory.

ConsNot many opportunities to get to know your co-workers... part of this is just the professional atmosphere, the managers are a bit more serious than some retail settings. Also, the incentive program is funny but also pretty lousy - 15 perfect cashes for a free $0.99 ice cream is pretty lame, to be honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make a more fun working environment... although I doubt there is a huge incentive to do so since retail generally has quick turnover rates.

Great company for global insights and experience.

Steering Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood retail learning environment, with many different area's in which to advance your skills. Opportunities are endless if you choose to be semi mobile. Decent benefits plan and they try hard to maintain the work-life balance, but you have to remember it still is retail and retail has its busy seasons.

ConsTraining is only OK if you are a floor co-worker. Middle management has more advanced training opportunities, but you have to be with the company for a longer period of time. IKEA apparently likes to change store managers every 3-4yrs so that there is always new ideas, and ongoing development, however they need to be way more aware of how their store managers are leading, influencing and conducting themselves. Discussing co-worker personal items at break time without the person in question there is very unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the store managers out when they have become complacent, using double standards to treat senior managers differently, and don't follow policy

I worked at IKEA full-time for more than 8 years

Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere are some great people who can really teach you and have a passion for what they do.

Constypically retail environment. All about the bottom line

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize talent.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of team spirit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

Constypically retail environment. All about the bottom line

Advice to Senior Managementrecognize talent.

Absolutely amazing work experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Woodbridge, ON

ProsThe overall community the store has together is great. Absolutely loved my job and its benefits even though i was part time. Companies values are great and can be used when looking at working at other companies

Consthe only problem was the customers.. Sometimes they can be rude

Advice to Senior ManagementDont change anythign they are doing things right

Great workplace with a lot of opportunity for growth.

Certified Kitchen Seller (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits and friendly working environment. There is a lot of opportunity for growth if you seek it. The compensation is good and work varies from day to day making it more enjoyable and not feeling like a repetitive task.

ConsThe store sees to be lenient with enforcing goals at times. It is a retail environment and goals are set to be met, yet when it is visible that someone is not performing up to par it is very rare that there is any enforcement, other than that there is no major cons.

Welcoming, informative and inclusive

Merchandising (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsProfessional sales, product and management training.

ConsGreater networking between departments to better learn details and people in each
    in turn helps to understand and promote all areas of Ikea as a whole

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways promote happy, positive informative approach and direction.

Good teamwork

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThere was good team work

ConsHaphazard shifts and late hours

Friendly staff, good pay

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Coquitlam, BC

Prosgreat co-workers, fun atmosphere, good benefits, competitive salary

Conslong interview process, lots of turnover so retraining new staff takes a lot of resources. Hard to get FT work

Employees have a say

Operational Support (Former Employee) Brossard, QC

ProsThey have great salaries for the positions and an open door policy making it really easy to talk to management. They also work hard to being a sustainable company.

ConsIkea uses lots of contractuals which results in huge turnarounds and constant training, the advantages if you become full time though are immense.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes being too close to the employees can hurt, especially when favorites are picked.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!