IGS Energy
www.igsenergy.com Dublin, OH 150 to 499 Employees

IGS Energy Reviews

Updated Mar 29, 2014

Scott White

Activity will be the only way you can make quota... lots of activity!

Home Energy Consultant (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time

ProsI like jobs that make me feel like I am making an impact on society. Bottom line- This Country was built on the beliefs of having choice and the capitalistic business model. IGS is a company that believes in serving its customers in the best way possible. Deregulated energy is one of the newbies in the American marketplace and is a very tough sale (not to mention what happened when the telecom industry was deregulated). No need to digress here. IGS promotes good energy... green energy and being responsible users of energy. Who could not like the great slogan of "an energy independent US!" I do wish we all had the means to build better solar panels, wind turbines, and heat producing worm farms (at least until liquid thorium flouride or MIT's new electric generation wonder comes on line). For now we must be ever conscious of the lowest rates from the least corrupt type of supply- right! or figure a way to use less of what's being produced into the GRID". What happens to the energy that's left in the grid? Will we have more energy reserves? An intagible product like energy/even natural gas IS somewhat a hard sell because of the govt regulations and possession of how it "flows". Now that Einstein's theory of relativity is not so much of a theory and "unification" seems to be on the horizon... a new era of "the power of tomorrow" may become reality?

ConsBrainiacs and forcasters in Dublin need to do a better job of offering rates where utility users really can see a savings on their 1st bill after the sign up. Systems- Mac is a great company, but the use of the ipad air needs much more work. Telling HEC's that customer service is important but not having any type of CRM is "hogwash". If more money is coming from FERC or PUCO (Feds) it should be distributed fairly to the real workers- not the seedy sales smooth talkers *be aware!

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch out for the sale gurus" that sweet talk you into hiring them. They are artist at making things sound better than they really are. Semantics, or should I say better semantics, are not going to be the answer to pitching the products on American consumers (yes, peeps in West VA, Ohio/Pennsylvania/Maryland, etc. are Americans). It is what it is, A BILL (not one of those on Capital Hill) and folk's hate seeing them in the P.O.? Mail Boxes.
Fuel Rewards is a great idea- keep it going! If we can't save people money... let's come up with a good reason to choose IGS Energy. Something better than just "price protection"?

Working Man's Workman

Energy Broker (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpportunity to meet new people.

ConsCommissioned based. You don't work, you don't make money.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage like you would liked to be managed.

Drink the Kool Aid

I worked at IGS Energy

ProsCafeteria that is on site is ok and they have a small gym

ConsHire young people
Long hours expected
attendance policy
Don't listen to employees concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Diversity in hiring

I was misinformed of the products, therefore involuntarily lied to people

Energy Consultant (Former Employee)
Modesto, CA (US)

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsThe money was there, just out of reach. They put you up in 2 bed hotel rooms...3 or 4 to a room...

ConsThey lied to me completely. I was misinformed of the reading of energy bills, so I thought i was saving people money, but really I was raising their rate. I have recieved angry calls from customers who have my personal line...ugh. a nightmare.

Rapid Growth Here! You have to work.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat positive work environment.
Transparency with management (i.e. No BS, very low drama, everyone is paid on time)
Back office support is top tier
Management have worked their way up
Emerging industry in deregulated energy.
Great pay and no cap to earning potential.
Impeccable Training from management.

ConsHave to start from the bottom and work your way up.
2 weeks before paychecks start.
High Competition

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is very good. When help is needed they are there. Company can use more bilingual people especially for the CA campaign

Wasted time...

Direct Customer Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at IGS Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLoved my co-workers. They were a good group of guys to hang out with on the way to towns we knocked doors in. Going into the field I met a lot of interesting people.

ConsWasn't paid for many deals I thought I was getting credit for. I was told our cancellation rate would be around 35%, but after a few months I was told it was actually 65%. There are too many stipulations and small errors that will cost you deals. The weather could be really brutal at times,and so could some of the customers, but that's just the nature of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more scrupulous with who you contract your sales management to.

Needs to be more professional in dealing with customers and employees ,

I worked at IGS Energy

ProsVery modern office with gorgeous work spaces

ConsInterdepartmental arguing, no guidelines to help managers be successful. Interdepartmental arguing over things that doe not impact the bottom line is a waste of time. Very high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees on all levels, create paths toward success. Believe in each other.

Scam alert.

Trainee (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

I worked at IGS Energy as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWorking with people is always a rewarding experience and tough sales jobs such as this certainly offer the opportunity for personal growth and if you can hack it, hone the skills necessary to succeed in the sales market.

ConsThis company hires on employees under the pretense that you are to be a trainee for management. I was hired as an independent contractor and this is how they get you... you have to work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day, with no base pay, and for commissions only. The average worker that I have seen makes 3 sales a day and is compensated $10 per sale.

In the interview and pep talks after being hired, it was stated that they are looking for people who had not gone to college and have no prior experience in business so that they could "mold them". It became very clear that they had hand picked those that were desperate and/or had not furthered their education. They offer no benefits, no overtime pay, no compensation pay for gas (since it is door to door sales and you carpool around with your fellow co-workers often times in your own vehicle for great distances), no consistent sales training, no managerial training, and no cross training of any sort. Every so often a guest speaker comes in to make more promises and keep you motivated.

It was obvious to me that they are manipulating the social networks of the "trainees" with promise of advancement. The language used to keep people selling is very cult like in its execution and intent. They even make a regular speech about how your friends and family will doubt you, your job, how they want to hold you back and keep you down... and how you just have to keep with it to reap the benefits. To illustrate the use of my metaphor; after coming to my senses I was greeted with anger and hurt feelings when attempting to bring the facts of our job to my co-workers.

It is partially true about advancement. If you somehow manage to do decent with sales, and keep a roof over your head with food on your plate, you will get to open your own branch...And you will be expected to recruit a new batch of "trainees" to go out and make sales that you will then receive commissions on. In other words, you go from being manipulated to being the manipulator.

In effort of full disclosure as to the dangers of accepting work here with high hopes; there are 40 people in the training program in San Jose. All are told that they will receive their own branch to manage. However, the bay area is only so big. Where are these people going to open up a branch? You are told you can move to other states that have deregulated natural gas...but on what income will any of them be able to afford a move to another state, or even a different city?

This job is a scam. Please heed my warning and stay away!

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees with the respect they deserve and pay them fairly for their efforts to further the company.

Previously wonderful company has stopped caring about customers and employees

Dublin, OH (US)

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompetitive pay and interesting work

ConsManagement, employee loyalty-they have no loyalty to hard-working, loyal employees. They love nepotism. When they started they were amazing and customer and employee centered. They have become obsessed with money and have stooped to practices that they once publicly criticized other companies for practicing. Their moral compass has become very skewed.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire some of the newer upper management employees that have skewed your focus and return to the core values you once held.

One heck of a great company . . . with a great future ahead of it!

Dublin, OH (US)

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee Focused
Seeks input from all levels
Fast growing business leads to career opportunities
Amenities: the gym, the cafeteria, the open work spaces etc

ConsRapid growth has diminished the small family feel of before.
Not all buy into the culture and vision.
Nothing happens to some around me who don't do their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk us what we think. We may surprise you with the answer to your problems.
Go for it. We're with you.
Be consistent and act quickly in holding each of us responsible for doing our jobs.

Worked for IGS Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IGS Energy reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for IGS Energy CEO Scott White. All 14 reviews are posted anonymously by IGS Energy employees.