IBM Reviews

11,573 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,556 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with, but people are only commodities and expendable

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people I got to work with were, for the most case, top notch and great to work with. The technologies we worked with were interesting and working for a company like IBM provides you with lots of perks due to their enormous bargaining power.

Cons

In the last few years, the management has looked to slash costs and in that strategy, they are losing much of the knowledge base as they look to trim those that have the higher salaries and instead hire fresh grads. For that reason, much of the morale, particularly in software group, has gone downhill.

Start focusing again on getting your employees motivated and they will then work harder and provide the fresh ideas.

Nowhere To Grow

Current Employee - Sales Specialist  in  Markham, ON
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Markham, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay for an introductory job. Multiple training and education opportunities. Converted to full time employee early on based on performance.

Cons

Commission structure is dependent upon too many factors outside of your control. Moving within the company and being promoted is near impossible.

Assistance in helping employees with their career progression is needed.

A place to start NOT a place to grow

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Flexible work schedule
    - Lots of resources to learn
    - Some good people/talents to work with ( but more and more of these people are leaving the company)

Cons

- Politics
    - Poor quality of management
    - Unfair performance review process
    - Culture (not what it says)

Stop playing politics and favoritism, stop trying to secure your job/position at expense of your people, really look out for your staff's interest.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working for IBM is awesome to gather experience for next job, but there are some common concern!

I worked at IBM

Pros

When work for IBM you get better experience, working environment and learn a lot so that it's good for the resume and you can sell yourself for the next job but.....

Cons

Mostly hired by agency and pay never increases only for some people might increase. So that is a huge drawback. No motivation.

IBM needs to sit with agency (or vice versa) to do a review for employee to retain the best employee who can do the job way better than so many other who I just consider them wastage to the company (sorrt about the comments but it is true). I do not see quality service from those employee which will kill agency and the IBM in a long run. Agency knows they can get hundreds of people in a day to work for them and IBM knows how to rely on agency, as a result service and quality is not there....for sure-from my experience. In the end you get what you pay for.

Wonderful growth opportunities

I have been working at IBM

Pros

- training programs
    - ability to switch career pathways
    - strong focus on moving ahead in your career

Cons

- not many incentives
    - not very active

IBM

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not many. Decent salary but taken out in blood

Cons

Everyone seems to holding fast to retire. Slow, inflexible. Hard to turn a battleship

Get a clue and move FASTER

More Pros than Cons

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Edmonton, AB
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Edmonton, AB

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working from home
    Technology
    Benefits and support

Cons

Very high expectations
    Constant financial pressure

Not Too Big To Fail

Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant  in  Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Senior Managing Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Once was a good place to work

Cons

It's now all about shareholder value. The reviews here are plants by the HR department. It's well known. All jobs have been offshored. Customers HATE dealing with India or Costa Rica but IBM doesn't give a crap. It's all about "shareholder value". They actually haven't made a real profit in several years. All gains have been by laying people off and shipping the jobs to the third world.

You're next. Freshen that resume.

mixed

Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Managing Consultant

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros - reputation of the firm, no one used to get fired for hiring IBM, perhaps no longer the case. Many opportunities for those interested in outsourcing.

Cons

Cons - just another employee number. Management has a very short term outlook, when stock price dips, expect mass layoffs. Company will hide layoffs

human resources are your most important asset, treat them as such

Great place to build your career, but move on when you can

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IBM is a great place to build your sales career. Its large enough where you have the resources to get the help you need and can really push work off to other departments (marketing, brand, etc). Education system is second to none. Really gets you ramped up fast and invests in your education.

Cons

Very political. Moving up can be easy, but there is really a wall at times. Pay is not great.... seriously. If you want to make money at IBM... leave. They also don't give proper raises. 1-2% is the average unless you change positions. The endless paper work also gives you little time for sales and more time in giving forecasts and daily updates.

Take the burden of reporting off the rep and on the manager. This should be monitored and caught. I can already see the talent loss. Also, start paying what your competition is paying. The last comment I had before I left IBM was "why is this company willing to pay you so much?". This was insulting and if feels great making money over IBM's lose in almost 100% of my accounts.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!