IBM

www.ibm.com
Employer Engaged

Good for launching work experience, bad for educative value

Former Intern - QA in Markham, ON
    Former Intern - QA in Markham, ON

I worked at IBM as an intern

Pros

Office is decent, compensation for first internship is competitive compared to other companies. Good place to launch your career but would not stay here longterm.

Cons

Note: This is speaking from personal experience only.
    I was on a QA team as an intern. I honestly did not have the chance to learn a lot during my time at IBM. The tasks given were trivial and the internship was definitely not the best use of my time as a student. Even when I asked for work, the tasks were still not things that would ever benefit me longterm. I've worked at some other companies after IBM and the others expect and give you work that almost makes you equivalent to a fulltime team member. At IBM, many peers and I were questioning why we were even getting paid at times and we often felt neglected by our managers and team leaders. I've never experienced this at subsequent companies.

After my time at IBM, I heard a lot of peers at different schools talking about how a lot of interns "sit around" and "do nothing" while at IBM and unfortunately, I saw and heard a lot of this while I was working there. Again, this reflects my personal experience and the experiences of many of my peers. However, I do know several interns who also found the experience to be very valuable.

Ensure that your interns are getting real work like at other companies. Make them a part of the team rather than neglecting them.

To the execs: Stop focusing on manipulating stock price and invest in your employees. Numerous full-time employees I knew while on internship either left for other companies or were laid off. You need to lead by example or you will bleed talent and IBM will sink in the longterm (but you'll probably retire before then so it doesn't affect you).

Layoff

Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Markham, ON
    Former Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Markham, ON

I worked at IBM

Pros

Got good severance package but nothing else

Cons

Can't get another job as market is very tough

Don't screw with employees life

I worked as an intern and full time at infasco

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at IBM

Pros

this was a huge engineering company with a lot of growth potential where I got to learn a lot in very little time

Cons

Being so big you can get lost in the bigger picture and goals of the company also you are working in a supply chain

Hit or miss depending on your project & management.

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Bedford, NS
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Bedford, NS

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great health benefits, most projects are flexible for work hours and working from home if necessary. Many projects offer training and/or travel. Lots of exposure to clients and executives. Great employees to work with and great team work. Open to work life balance including working & going to school, different schedules. Certain projects are very interesting and well balanced.

Cons

Lots of time spent doing basic IBM training before getting on a project. Can be placed on a project where you do no work from your field of work/study. Not easy to switch projects. Not competitive pay. Lots of expected unpaid overtime & very short notice weekend work, no time off in lieu. No explicit steps to advance your career & no knowledge given about possible promotions. Not open to employee suggestions to deal with these issues. Employees are considered & treated as "productive or unproductive resources" and not as human beings with lives, families, and obligations.

Offer at least higher compensation or time off in lieu for unpaid overtime. Heed employee concerns instead of letting them get tired of being mistreated & leave.

Processes

I have been working at IBM

Pros

Mandatory 40 hours of training per year is required, IBM culture is professional and highly ethical, IBM has a process for every single process imaginable

Cons

too many processes, focus on internal reviews, lack of pricing creativity, benefits are not competitive, bonuses and people recognition is insufficient

recognize that the services business is about recognizing your staff, their sacrifices and efforts

7+ years IBM Consulting services

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great management , smart and knowledgeable people, lots of opportunities within company to pursue different career path

Cons

Short on investments into employees. Overwhelming number of mandatory training not related to the performed duties. Work/Life balance maybe hard to maintain.

Value by performance+years of experience within Company, adjust to the market rates for the salaries.

Great company to work with

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM

Pros

strong name, ppl are very friendly and easy to work with, most are young ppl,

Cons

benefit is not that good, salary is way too low.

Great company to work for

Former Intern - Market Strategy Planner in Toronto, ON
    Former Intern - Market Strategy Planner in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

- Work-life balance (able to work remotely, flex-time within reason)
    - Positive culture (flexible and collegial yet results oriented)
    - Good amenities (at the lab)

Cons

- A majority of the team could be working remotely (less face to face interaction)

Limited opportunities for interns of a business background to progress into full-time opportunities.

A/R Rep

I worked at IBM

Pros

Great work and team environment, target focused with moderate to high expectations, easy communication across employees and management.

Cons

IBM is in the process or has already discontinued their AR/collections department. Whether they will re-establish it or not in Montreal in the future is yet to be determined.

Rats from a sinking ship.

Current Employee - Course Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Course Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large resource base of internal training, information, and subject matter experts. Relatively cutting-edge development tools and practices.

Cons

Leadership is solely focused on Earnings Per Share, and not on customers or employees. There are undisclosed yearly layoffs ("workforce rebalancing") of around 10% per year, and stacked (forced-distribution) ranking, which is used to justify cuts where the earnings are not performing as desired, and to shift the workforce to cheaper labor by off-shoring jobs and hiring new grads. This is resulting in plummeting employee morale, engagement, and loyalty. The drive to increase speed and cost savings removes any pride in the quality of work you do, or the feeling of empowerment to be able to do a good job. Leadership responds to any negative feedback by blaming employees with a "beatings will continue until morale improves" philosophy. If you want a good sense of what employees are really thinking, go to the IBM Alliance web site, which is the only place to get any sense of the yearly bloodshed. There is a general consensus that IBM engages in age-discrimination by "resource actioning" a disproportionate number of employees over 50. However, the company has changed it's reporting process so that it is impossible to prove this in court (after having been successfully sued in the past for this practice).

Stop focusing on arbitrary EPS targets. Focus on Customers and quality, and stop treating your employees like numbers on a spreadsheet. Your employees are smart -- they can figure out what is really going on, no matter how much money you pour into propaganda videos.