IBM Reviews

13,814 Reviews
IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
4,533 Ratings

Pros
  • Work from home 2 days/week if you have to commute over 45 minutes to the office (in 1347 reviews)

• Work life balance ( Work from home) & wider opportunity if you have good network (in 1315 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance depends entirely on the management of your individual projects (in 423 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 214 reviews)

1. Exposure to mission-critical business problems and opportunity to build skills in market demand.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Solve critical business problems with some of the largest organizations in the world

Cons

Processes and inter-product politics make it difficult to grow product and compete against vendors

Advice to Management

Need to operate more as a "start-up" than a "traditional" large enterprise.

2. Good

Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Systems Support Technician in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IBM puts family and client experience first. If you deliver results, management leaves you alone.

Cons

Current healthcare/dental package is far below par compared to other companies.

3. Senior ITS

Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Advisory IT Specialist in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent Company, life work balance.

Cons

Bureaucratic, sometime need to find opportunity hardly.

5. large and big company Less global Investment to gbs.

I worked at IBM (more than 5 years)

Pros

global leading IT consulting company for pride by people

Cons

can't guarantee 40hr/wk, hard working, management in politic to survive, and little up salary, hard to promotion internal but love their brand name for the worth

Advice to Management

no comment if you're a such an outsider, just do your work for self motivation if don't expect care from mgrs.

6. j9 virtual machine developer - coop

I worked at IBM

Pros

Very flexible, free
    able to work from home

Cons

People don't care about the co-op students

Don't waste your time.

I worked at IBM

Pros

Working from home is very possible.

Cons

80% time - meaningless meetings, 10% - changing passwords; 9% - change management paperwork and closing incidents which should not even happen at the 1st place. Incidents must be generated by all means because the main performance metric is a number of closed incidents, the more, the better. Remaining 1% goes to the actual work, and it's very hard to accomplish all real and complex tasks during that time.

Advice to Management

Start to look for another job.

8. Good to Work for

I have been working at IBM

Pros

global exposure, leading edge technology, career growth, training

Cons

lots of red tapeism, highly matrixed, beaurocratic, takes time to implement new procsses

9. BIG BLUE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at IBM full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company's direction in new technology is amazing. Company constantly reinvent itself. Many managers have a great amount of experience & are willing to share that experience with more junior staff. IBM has been around for over 100 years & yet can be very youthful. Watson is a unique product offering in the world.

Cons

Unfortunately, extremely process heavy organization. Is moving towards an agile process mentality, but is not there yet. To stay competitive and ahead of the curb, IBM needs to keep accelerating it's reinvention.

Advice to Management

Learn Agile methodology & imbed the process in IBM's culture (Similar to how Honda was a few years ago with Kaizen) IBM also needs to foster programs that will create a recruiting culture throughout all levels of the business.

Was very excited about IBM, now spirits are broken

I have been working at IBM (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Good pay. Lots of very good and very interesting self-directed courses on their learning tool. Easy to get the training and certifications you need, not as much red tape for approval. Lots of innovation, clubs to attend to learn interesting things.

Cons

Extremely hostile environment. Was pulled off a project less than a month after starting for a "performance issue". The client did not give me a chance to learn the ropes of either the client or IBM itself and people in the other office on the client side were extremely rude to me when I was still learning. I was even threatened once. Feel treatment from client was discriminatory.

Advice to Management

Do not give into unreasonable demands from difficult clients. Back up and realize that the well being of your employees is important. You cannot win and retain clients if your employees are not healthy and happy. Also, require clients to adhere to IBM's diversity policy when dealing with IBM staff.

Sweat shop

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Toronto, ON

I worked at IBM full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good place to work, flex-time flex-workplace let you better balance work/personal life, and projects were interesting.

Work culture when I started in the early 90s was extremely favourable to valuing employees as individuals and not as mere numbers. Mind you, that changed quickly in the mid-2000's.

Cons

PBC ratings distributions is broken and politics between working groups and employees within working groups only exacerbates the problem.

Low key and introverted solid performers who meet and exceed all objective are often underrated in comparison to louder self-promoting employees who far too often are more talk than performance. Being underrated at IBM means no raises, no promotion, and more and more no job. Flash vs substance - you would think a company like IBM would know the difference.

Constant push to increase productivity and work smarter was totally understandable, but at some point you just can't draw any more blood from a stone.

I was one of the lucky ones who got to stay by increasing personal productivity to the point where in my last year I was doing work that was once done by four people. Of course I was now working 12 to 16 hour days on a regular basis, and there were stretches where I had to work around the clock to meet deadlines.

Concerns expressed to management about workload were met with the response "but we are competing with India". Schedule pressures and workload continued to escalate.

Then went my health... I had to get out or literally risk dying.

The model seemed to be, grind them harder and harder until you burn them out, and then get fresh new hires to replenish the meat grinder. This may be tolerable when you are young, but less and less so as you age and assume other responsibilities in life such as being around for a family.

Advice to Management

None. It would not be taken up by management anyways who are themselves under pressure, and besides, you are competing with IBM branches in India and now China.

Maybe IBM should just close its North American project development doors completely. It work be more honest to its employees if it did.