IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,335 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Respectful Environment

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFriendly atmosphere, decent location, and cool projects.
    Manager treated all interns nicely and didn't give us the crappy jobs.
    Had a lot of fun overall.

ConsHousing can be expensive. Projects are difficult so it wasn't really a easy job. Interview process was not very selective and some of the code had serious bugs that were not caught until several months after the release.

Avoid, friends don't let friends work at IBM

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON

Prospay for me is good, that was probably because it was already good from the original company before acquisition, stagnated since acquisition. In my current position my work life balance is good, but other groups its not the same

Consbureaucracy,bureaucracy ,bureaucracy
    too hard to innovate, too slow, too much management, too much process
    constantly faced with the "department of NO"
    constant requirement to be my own HR
    culture of evil
    forced to use internal IBM tools which are absolute garbage
    everything is too hard to do because resources provided are poor
    does not support employees

Advice to Senior Managementretire

Excellent

Senior Software Developer (Former Employee) Gatineau, QC

ProsProfessional, great people, organized and supportive team

ConsOccasional long hours compensated by allowing remote access

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Downward spiral

Managing Consultant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsBenefits of most huge corporations. In the early days had smart people.

ConsAfter a few years realized how utilization driven the company had become. By year 9, competition and pressure was unbearable. Although I was promoted twice, hated company culture and left.

Advice to Senior ManagementBusiness as usual and risk averse mode of thinking will just continue the death of big blue...embrace creativity and dare to 'think different' otherwise good riddance!

Institutional

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat development opportunity as it teaches you more than some MBA programs. The development is not only structural but also leadership and other attribute skills

ConsIBM is so focused on quarterly earnings that it is making what appears to be very short term decisions vs longer term strategic decisions. Additionally we are heading for a skill drain as the baby boomers retire in the mature markets and there doesn't appear to be a focus on skill transfer. Such a shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some fabulous experts closer to the customer - listen to them.

Some good, some bad

ProsSmart co-workers, world-class customers, interesting projects. Flexible working conditions.

ConsBureacracy, process, politics. Outdated development tools and hardware. Penny-pinching.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a plan for the future and stick to it.

IT specialist

IT Consultant (Former Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsLots of big and quality projects spans coast to coast

Consworks are very focused and done remotely and too much travels

Advice to Senior Managementall good

Sight broadening.

Mobile Applications Developer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsI appreciate the autonomy at this company

ConsI don't appreciate the bureaucracy in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management should consider firing some employees who are no longer of any value.

A great learning experience, a poor personal promotion path

Senior Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people, strong process, in many ways a truly SMART workplace

ConsA generally recognized challenge with promoting people internally, resulting in many leaving the firm to return later at a higher band. Not an entirely healthy situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep "going organic" in internal growth, lest people leave and not actually come back.

Elephants can dance, when they want too...

Account Executive (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsIntellectually challenging workload. Great to be part of such a large organization, very well respected in the industry.

ConsHard to get new approaches realized, to meet the evolving market need. It's size is both a strength and weakness. The old ways of interacting with clients don't work, IBM needs to ensure it attracts new blood to challenge accepted norms.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend every second engaging with the business side of your clients rather than a maniacal focus on IT. This is the the new decision makers, hence attract customer facing personnel who are technically savvy, whilst resonate with the business.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!