IBM

3.5 10,000 reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

(3,332 ratings)

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week(in 1225 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up(in 1184 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work(in 369 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management(in 202 reviews)

10,000 Employee Reviews

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities and world wide

ConsBetter management of accounts can be made

It was good while it lasted, but was going downhill quickly, so I left on my own terms and am happy I did.

Software Sales Representative (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsFlexibility, work from home, ability to change jobs every 2 years, really great group of people

Conslow base pay, horrible conversion to US dollars, high quotas, you can only make money every 2 years. Training has dropped drastically and they do not invest in their people like they did over 10 years ago. Too many people in upper management positions. Everyone who makes, or exceeds plan does not get 100% club trip, or bonus money, it only goes to a select few and you cannot bring your spouse. I can go on and on....

Advice to Senior ManagementBe positive, invest in your people through training and reward through paying bonuses and better incentives.

Too big and too politics

Staff Software Engineer (Current Employee) Markham, ON

ProsBig company, many fields you can work on or learn.
    Very computer science and has good smart colleague to guide you.
    Work time is flexible once you master your work. For me no overtimes.

ConsToo big and too politics. Wasting resource and time all the time...
    The evaluation process is just discouraging people to "work hard" rather than to "work smart"
    Very like to have the trend of missing middle level good people, either young fresh students, or old "senior" people who more likely to "work smart" but getting the high pay instead of get things done...

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employee first! Not your customer or stock holders! Your customer will only pay you if you have good product and service! Which are created and supported by good and happy employees! Not because you have happy stock holders!!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Project Lead

Project Lead (Current Employee)

ProsGood Benefits

Easily overlooked as part of a 400K employees
    Slow Growth Rate
    Old Technology i.e: Lotus notes, AS400
    LOTS of Red tape

Advice to Senior ManagementCut on the red tape, promote faster and better recognize team efforts

Good

Software Developer (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros* Good name on CV
    * Ability to work on various projects
    * Ability to travel

Cons* Feels like a sweatshop sometimes

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReasonable salary, Flexible hours, Good work life balance, anytime work from home

ConsSlow, not have chance to learn latest or open source technology, only uses internal tools, too much process.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf work environment is more dynamic and fast it would be better.

Great group of people, little motivation to excel

Management (Former Employee) Markham, ON

ProsWorking from home was a definite advantage for me as could avoid the commute. The majority of the people encountered were great, professional and hardworking individuals striving for the best for the customers

ConsLittle incentive or motivation to work hard and do well... lots of employees were successful on doing the minimum whilst others worked hard and extensive hours for little or no recognition. Lots of talk about the ability to have additional training, but no opportunity provided for this

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and allow them creativity to develop/design something new.

Compilers - great team, smart people, not enough career opportunities

Computer Programmer (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat team, everybody is supper smart and friendly (for an eng company in Toronto...)

ConsHard to move up, and fairly low salaries

IT Specialist

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat work life balance, supporting managers and great people to work with. Working on client site most of the time and great job security.

ConsCompensation could be higher and more competitive. Heavily technology focused, so this may be a concern for some people. Also, less interaction among team/group members as you may be at client site most of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter performance incentives

overall, it's a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood people, good environment and interesting job

Conslife balance is not that good for consulting

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!