IBM

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty

Virginia Rometty

115 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good... but not great

Managing Strategy Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIBM does so many things you could potentially stay in the company your whole career and have 10 different job roles in 10 different areas of the business.

ConsIBM has aligned itself with a 2015 roadmap that's great for shareholders, but horrible for employees. Costs are continually being cut, resource actions are annual when they are not quarterly, and decisions are becoming less and less strategic and more and more tactical.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a long hard think about whether a 2020 roadmap will make sense. It can be argued that all the value from the current roadmap was achieved with cost-cutting and stock buy backs. EPS numbers could be hit with growth initiatives instead of cost cutting initiatives if a little faith (and cash) was invested in your employees.

unstable

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDiversity. Well known company.
Reputable. great tools. well respected by customers.

ConsNot very team oriented. Not very stable.

Advice to Senior ManagementInactive Management

Excellent people, management without conscience or a clue

Technical Solutions Architect (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits are very comprehensive, including work-from-home for many positions. Vacation time is decent and overtime is reasonable (it happens, but not excessively). Colleagues tend to be smart, and low-level management (first and second line) tend to be good.

ConsIBM has been working as hard as it can for a decade to destroy its internal talent and expertise. Upper management actively suppresses any contrary views or problems from bubbling up the management chain. US workforce has shrunk breathtakingly, there is no career advancement or even lateral movement, reorganizations are *constant*, and education and development is either non-existant or taken away with the next reorg. Massive outsourcing with no care taken for quality of hires. Then there's the constant selling off of divisions (Global Network, Network Services, Hard Drives, PC's, Intel Servers - and that's just during my tenure). New companies are acquired constantly but never integrated into a cohesive whole, leaving a mishmash of overlapping pieces that do nothing to benefit each other; many ultimately decay into nothing and vanish. Strategy shifts constantly, organizations, products, and offerings rename rather than reform or improve. I honestly doubt there will be anything left of this company within a decade.

On a personal level, compensation is significantly below-market. Bonuses (aka "variable pay"; project bonuses disappeared a decade ago) are consistently below 2% even for top performers (annual rating of 2+). Salary increases are non-existant. My gross pay went up less than 3% total over a period of five years, and 70% of my years there increases trailed inflation (i.e., real income dropped).

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a strategy (other than "boost the stock price") and stick with it. Stop re-organizing and laying off divisions. Focus on letting your very-smart people accomplish great things. All of this will be harder as the company shrinks and loses talent through layoffs and attrition.

It was a great learning experience for a first job out of school.

Technical Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFor the most part, it's truly a collaborative environment.

ConsOpportunities for advancement is difficult, particularly if you do not manage up properly.

Ibm security services will reach 1 billion this year with a 80% annual growth rate

Security Management Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOutstanding leadership, huge demand in market, ibm investments in security tools, technology, great people and fantastic client base. We cannot hire enough good people! Top mention in last four quarterly earnings reports. This Is Ginnie's chance to take the first new division in 12 years and demonstrate her ability to create a world class business and management consulting organization that will form the core of a transformational practice in ibm driving internal change, creating consultants vs. technicians and focusing on high value management consultanting and delivery services to key industry accounts.

ConsNeed more people with high consulting capabilities and aptitude. The focus is on creating world class consultants who listen to clients, conduct a root cause analysis to separate symptoms from root causes. Strong problem solving consultants that can develop strategy and then rapidly deploy and implement change program that transform and deliver measurable improves in our clients business. Professionals that are consultants first and capable of playing a wide range of projects roles with a high degree of success.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement supports the vision and we are building it now,

Great global footprint, strategic long term thinkers, theme of innovation, somewhat separated from reality

Supply Chain Category Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRange of opportunities from traditional high tech mfg. and sales, to software, to professional client services

ConsGlut of under performing baby boomers protected by their network and longevity

Advice to Senior ManagementGlobally integrated enterprise is only meaningful when you can explain to a client what the transformation road map really looks like

I was hired as part of an outsourcing

Senior Unix Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
Downers Grove, IL (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI accepted an offer so that I could continue to support the client that hired me. 98% of my support roll was off shored to another country. Our team was left with very little to support.

ConsNot sure where career was going or could go.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould have worked other accounts but those opportunities did not present themselves.

Professional

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI have learned the knowledge that I have continue working with others as I continue to share my experience in my new venture

ConsThe 10 years that I was with IBM I felt that there were no cons only knowledge and experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was beyond exceptional and leadership for the management staff. They offer to share their wisdom and experience with their colleagues.

Overall good, direct managers have large impact on experience

Delivery Project Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are good, lots of online training available

ConsFocus on finances at times over delivery quality and customer satisfaction

Former IBMer

Sales Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people who care about their clients. World class technologies that can address most any business or social opportunity/threat.

Conssome in the marketplace view the company as unable to pivot quickly - but they are incorrect

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to develop your next generation of leaders

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!

IBM Videos

IBM – Why Work for Us?

Join us. Where forward-thinking IBMers are inspired to build a smarter planet. Be an innovator Whether you're fresh out of college, or an experienced professional, IBM is a company where you can cultivate your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IBM reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IBM CEO Virginia Rometty. All 115 reviews posted anonymously by IBM employees.