IBM Reviews in Atlanta, GA

12,051 Reviews

IBM CEO Virginia Rometty
Virginia Rometty
3,508 Ratings

Pros
  • Most managers are pretty flexible if you want to work from home a couple days a week (in 1228 reviews)

• There are no unrealistic expectations causing work-life balance to be messed up (in 1189 reviews)

Cons
  • Though the company espouses work life balance there is no getting away from work (in 373 reviews)

• Senior Management thinks that too many metrics are replacement for good management (in 202 reviews)

More Highlights

241 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Summer Intern  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very educational. I learn a lot. I had a lot of fun. it was great. They catered to my every need. It had it's perks

Cons

The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away. The commute was a long ways away.

Office environment

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was great help from older seasoned sales professionals in the office.

Cons

Lots of the older elder IBM'ers like to pull rank and look down upon the young new guys moving into the office. They look for any and everything to tell your superiors almost as if your back in middle school again getting told on.

Focus on the future and not the old has beens.... The market is changing and its the young youth that will take the company to the next level.

Good place to work, but management seems to fabricate the truth to employees.

Former Employee - Storage Support  in  Smyrna, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Storage Support in Smyrna, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Access to new hardware technology and database.

Cons

Management is not trustworthy when it comes to informing employees.

Need to overhaul work/life balance

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IBM Interactive Experience - Good talent, No support

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great experience working with talented mixed teams of creative and technical experts. I have learned a lot about digital media projects, design for mobile first, and user experience based design. I have worked with a lot of talented people and learned a lot. IBM employees have access to a lot of great training opportunities to expand your skills (though you'll have to work on your own to find them through the various tools available).

Cons

You must be a self-starter, who is able to figure things out on your own, and you must be able to advocate and promote yourself and your successes. There is little domain mentoring, and many team members report to managers outside of their domain / expertise. Managers do little to nothing to advocate for their team members. While the greater IBM does have clear paths for promotion (from a band / pay grade level perspective), career growth discussions with managers are relatively fruitless, and it is difficult to get their support in setting up a growth plan. There is little advice / mentoring in what training to pursue to grow in your area, but if you are willing to do the digging and research yourself, there are really great tools and self-paced training available. Employees are often responsible for finding their own projects to be staffed to, as staffing team members are focused more on filling open project roles than getting benched team members into roles.

Lower utilization requirements for managers so that they can afford to invest more time in their people. Measure manager performance on the success of their employees so that managers will be motivated to promote and advocate for their teams. Provide at least one strong manager per each discipline / domain area, and align employees to report to a manager within their expertise / role. Provide a claim code for mentoring / managing activities that will count as productive utilization, to encourage junior team members to seek out senior mentors, and encourage senior employees to invest in junior team members, without feeling that they are going to be penalized by spending those hours on non-billable work.

Technology Goliath. Infinite Uncertainty

Former Employee - Client Manager (Sales)  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Manager (Sales) in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Diverse Career Opportunities& many of them
    -Reputable company, enormous portfolio
    -OK pay, OK benefits, Fantastic Flexibility
    -Acquiring companies constantly

Cons

-Management controls you like puppets. You do not necessarily own your own internal path
    -Reputable yes, but that reputation isn't always good or improving
    -OK pay, OK benefits, Flexibility fading
    -Enormous challenge in IBM being a sum of its parts. Collective deal handling difficult.
    -Team not really there. Everyone paid on their own part - difficult to control
    -LOTS of uncertainty. More people leaving or forced to leave than coming
    -Culture leaves much to be desired

While it used to be that you had to earn your stripes to earn a role at IBM, now, go start at IBM, stay for 3 years and leave.

You are on your own

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work Life Balance is great at IBM if you are not in consulting.

Cons

The career path is not defined at all,

Not Much Fun

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay (as a band 10). Work from home. Largely get to define my own priorities and tasks in support of the overall mission. My manager isn't focused on time in the office as much as on accomplishing objectives, so work schedule varies and is flexible.

Cons

Most of my projects (staff role in global for GTS) seem to go nowhere and don't make a difference to anything important, which isn't what I was hoping to do with my career. It's painful to get things done with so many competing interests and priorities in the company. Problems with employee technology and tools (e.g. cleaning up mail due to ridiculously low email quota, instant messaging and intranet sites not working, etc.) have to be dealt with on personal time (since I'm measured on objectives accomplished, not time in the office).

Lackluster in every area

Former Employee - IT Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly colleagues; able to work on multi-projects in various teams/roles; flexible schedule.

Cons

No longer of what it used to be...lackluster in every area.

Remember - your employees are your greatest assets so treat them well and the company will flourish.

Company's leadership is taking it down

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at IBM full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Treated as a professional, most managers have integrity

Cons

expected to work long hours, be available for adhoc requests at a moment's notice

Stop moving jobs off shore

SWG IBMer via an acquisition, challenging and demanding job, but satisfying, great benefits

Current Employee - Managing Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Managing Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at IBM full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The ability to work and interact with the upper management of corporations world wide.

Cons

Travel can be heavy at times and the job, if you are doing it right, is constantly demanding but at the same time satisfying depending on your own successes.

Worked for IBM? Contribute to the Community!