Huntsman Cancer Institute

3.9

Mary Beckerle

An amazing experience

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time

Pros

Benefits, flexible schedule, opportunity to advance

Cons

Salary is low comparative to comparable positions elsewhere.

Good experience!

Former Employee - Study Coordinator
    Former Employee - Study Coordinator

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Structured with significant brand recognition in the area. Pretty awesome benefits. Training was good, though much of that was an extremely considerate and patient trainer. It's a beautiful place to work.

Cons

fairly stressful and parking is an absolute joke! Not an easy place to commute to due to it's lack of access to major freeways.

honestly, I felt they were doing a pretty good job. Perhaps a bit more focus on the people as people, specifically employees, might be a helpful suggestion.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Lab Specialist  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Lab Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation is acceptable, work life balance is great. Your experience will depend greatly on what lab you work in. Most people don't work very long hours here so if you're into that, this is your place. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Promotions are probably hard to come by. I cant imagine that this is among the centers that publish the most. Most people don't work very long hours so if you're looking for an environment where people work a lot and try hard to publish, this is not your place.

Hire PIs that actually work on cancer. Seems like a good percentage of PIs are not focused on cancer.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Can be a good place, Could be a whole lot better

Former Employee - Scientist  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Scientist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Plenty of space, good if you study genomics, friendly people for the most part. If you like a nice work/life balance, most people are roughly 9-5.

Cons

Overly bureaucratic, if you don't study genomics there isn't much else going on and most of the people doing other studies are leaving.

Get rid of most of the inefficient admin staff. The leadership on the science end of things is completely focusing on studying the genomics of cancer. It is also concerning that there is a lot of open, unused science bench space and yet there is an expansion of the building going on. While I understand that funds were donated for this effort, giving some funds to scientists that are in need (due to the poor academic funding environment) would be a better use of the money. Progress doesn't happen in unused space.

place of dwindling opportunities

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to become part of the Huntsman Cancer Institute family- picnics, seminars, employee surveys.

Cons

A lot of the established PI's are leaving the institute. The inexperienced, new investigators are having a difficult time establishing their labs with the little funding available.

Inspiring place to work

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute

Pros

Great benefits, great workplace, nice people, great restaurant upstairs. Oodles of beautiful women work here...

Cons

Limited parking options. A bit out of the way to get to work.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The atmosphere is great and the people are wonderful. I had a lot of fun working there and learned a lot!

Cons

Parking is expensive and difficult to get but public transit is good enough that you can get there easily without a car. I really don't have anything negative to say about this fine establishment

Graduate Student at HCI

Current Employee - Graduate Student  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A great work environment for students. Lots of constructive meetings and help from other students and mentors.

Cons

I like it, but don't come to graduate school unless you are ready.

An excellent place to work and do some great cancer research

Current Employee - Post Doctoral  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great research setting with amazing scientific opportunities

Cons

Parking situation is annoying and its only going to get worse when the extension is built

Great place to work. Fun people to be around, great to see a difference this place makes in peoples lives.

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at Huntsman Cancer Institute full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Best benefits of any place I have ever been. Retirement program is awesome. Pay is hit and miss, depending on where you work. Not overly stressful. (sometimes to relaxed)

Cons

Opportunities are limited unless you have a PhD or MD. No real career ladder for most positions. There might be some rare ones that come around, but you must perform well and you must time it just perfect when someone else leaves. When I was there I felt like my career was stagnant even though I did my job well and I got above average raises every year

I love Huntsman Cancer Institute. I think it is a great place to work. However, if you have lots of ambition to move up in your career, this place probably isn't for you unless you are a doctor or a PhD. No bonuses like you might get in the corportate world.

Worked for Huntsman Cancer Institute? Contribute to the Community!