Huntington National Bank

Updated 11 December, 2014
2.9

Huntington National Bank Chairman, President, and CEO Steve Steinour
Steve Steinour

Pros
  • work-life balance was very good; great benefits (in 10 reviews)

• Growing company, good environment to work in (depending on your job), great benefits (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is a huge issue at HNB - IT employees normally work 60 (in 11 reviews)

• Work long hours sometimes 6-10 days in a row (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

It's average

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Fun Staff, Make new friends, Human Resource Dept has been nothing but great to me!

Cons

No pay increase, no promotions within, the work/life balance is not so great. They do not offer sick days along with vacation. The health benefits premiums just went up and they are not all that great either.

Coach along the way, show the ropes to newcomers. Promote within to keep employee retention and the in-store program should have shorter days or closed for the holidays. They do not generate much traffic or sales those days.

Friendly work environment with Good work culture

Former Employee - Systems Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst Lead in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

My colleagues were friendly, so I was able to accomplish the work on time.
    Also all the employees with whom I worked were located in the same building.
    Flexible work schedule.
    I have changed my work timings depending on the client's requirements.

Cons

The applications' Architectures were so complex and there was no proper documentation.
    As result no one knew what was going on.
    It was tough in the beginning on how to begin my work, until I met the right person.

Organize the Documentation properly so corresponding employees will know what is going on.

Loved my customers, hated Huntington

Former Employee - Teller in Marysville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Marysville, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The customers were great. The benefits are amazing! Health was a huge part of Huntington and that's one thing I'm big on. Some co-workers were great too.

Cons

The pay was subpar. The management was horrible and sometimes non-existent (meaning, managers stayed in their offices all day..playing on their phones). The office I was at had nothing but double standards. (Tellers can't have food or even water on the line, yet platform side can. Tellers can't have phones on the line, platform side can. Tellers can't browse Internet, platform side can.) The referral goal was most of the time unattainable. The workload put onto us made for 11-12 hour days sometimes (new system with no support). There was no work-life balance. Huntington was very harsh on sick time/pto. They didn't care if you had medical issues; you would get no sick pay or medical leave (besides fmla), just points which can get you terminated quickly. Working in a bank exposes you to disgusting money..you're bound to get sick. Huntington was the only bank I've ever worked at that had no sick days.

stop micro-managing the tellers!!

Wonderful place to work!

Former Employee - Team Lead Process Administrator in Crestview Hills, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Team Lead Process Administrator in Crestview Hills, KY (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great boss, loved my co-workers, enjoyed the job itself.

Cons

Only con is the health insurance stinks now. But that isn't the company's fault. Thanks Obama...

Get to know your employees!

Great culture and management

Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Risk Management Specialist in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open honest management. Great customer focused operating philosophy

Cons

most senior leadership hired from outside the company. Little internal promotion

Promote from within so you retain key employees

Behind the times

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Less layers of management
    Regional bank allows easy access to HQ if you want to seek promotions

Cons

You have to be the jack of all trades
    Unsophisticated investment platform

Hire outside talent to bring the IQ up the curve on investments

It was good but horrible traininh

Current Employee - Personal Banker in East Grand Ra, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in East Grand Ra, MI (US)

I have been working at Huntington National Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay and opportunities to grow

Cons

Bad management retail schedule open 7 days a week

Stop micro managing and also help those who have never banked before get comfortable

IT intern

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Worked with V. P.s at company. Got to go to lots of actual meetings. Learned a lot from the experience. Team building activities with other interns.

Cons

No big project or great things to put on resume from working at internship. Kind of just worked a corporate job.

No Support, Do More with less

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor

I worked at Huntington National Bank

Pros

Health Insurance, Co-Workers and Customers

Cons

Not realistic, When customers come first as they should then you should have adequate staffing to give simply the best service. Poor Quality of equipment for the work that needs processed. Non support with issues or problems only blames the staff for the issues. Non existence of appropriate learning and training unless you can do in between transactions Working past times scheduled on a regular basis due to not having adequate staffing and issues with the systems causing back up of work that still needs done. Do not get the appropriate resources in a time frame that should be in. Do not feel as if those that should be our support ,is there to support.

Come and work for a few weeks on the busiest times and take a realistic look. At Busy offices not the slower ones.

Quit trying to do more with less. Giving more responsibility with less staff.

If you're in IT - Unless you're from Chase you're toast

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH (US)

I worked at Huntington National Bank full-time

Pros

Many long-term employees who care about what happens to their clients. Outstanding CEO - truly a master that has turned around Huntington's financial performance. Since most everything is broken, there really isn't a lot of pressure to fix things. Broken is the new successful.

Cons

Majority of IT management is from Chase. Chase isn't known as a great place to work in Columbus - guess how it is to work at Huntington now. Innovation is hunted down and killed. And Innovators are driven out of the company.

Few highly skilled developers. Huntington IT is sort of an elephant graveyard - where careers go when they are ready to die.

Some areas perform well - Architecture comes to mind. Many perform poorly and that seems to be acceptable. The information management group is probably the least skilled and appears to be a dreadful place to work - poor leadership, bad tool selection, runs by the "just rig it and make it work" principle.

Huntington made an effort to take our .NET development area 'Agile'. But the organization couldn't understand something that wasn't command and control and most of the truly talented left for other, more progressive organizations. Twelve month 'Projects' that last for 3, 4, or 5 years and never finish are the norm for any major development efforts. It seems that instead of changing the burnt out light bulbs, Huntington IT is more comfortable declaring darkness the acceptable standard and patting themselves on the back for a successful implementation of Darkness 1.0

If you want to grow a career - go somewhere else. If you are at the end of your career and are comfortable coasting through the last couple years without making waves, it's absolutely the place for you.