Human Rights Campaign

www.hrc.org

Human Rights Campaign Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

GOOD WORK, GREAT ENVIRONMENT

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsLaid-back environment with a high energy staff. Very bright and open setting. HRC is highly strategic in the work that it does and plans out strategies excellently.

ConsSometimes Senior Management can treat other staff like they are below them. Sometimes "favorites" get away with doing very little while other staff is loaded down with work. Compensation could be higher for entry level staff

Positive internship experience, but could use improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing people, very inviting work environment, opportunity to attend interesting events, great opportunity to grow on a personal level. They hire a great number of former interns.

ConsThe internship is unpaid, which is always a con. They offer a very modest stipend of $100, which doesn't even cover a 28-day pass for the Metro. The workload is not always sufficient; interns are there to learn and grow professionally, it's perfectly fine to give them real work and responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a stipend that accurately reflects how much transportation costs.

Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Communications Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsEveryone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

ConsUnpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to learn, not to grow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsOpportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

ConsVery corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

Interning with HRC

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI think the atmosphere at HRC is amazing. The people are really nice and there's no one with a superiority complex. We have a lot of help available to us as interns and people are always eager to answer any questions you have. You learn a lot about the LGBT movement and its history. The brownbag luncheons were really informative. They also feed you really great food!

ConsThe internship was unpaid and our travel stipends were really meager, which makes it a bit difficult to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know it may not be possible to pay interns, but please think about raising the amount you give interns for the travel stipend.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

Prosgreat people, great atmosphere, helpful brownbag lunch series for interns

Consit sucks that the internships are unpaid

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat

Employee friendly job and one where you feel you are contributing to society, in a good industry

ProsCulture, atmostphere, great communication among employees and management, pretty good benefits early in career, somewhat immune to economic flucuations

ConsSeasonal, somewhat limited room for advancement, there are a few bad employees, some of whom are gatekeepers, but there are workarounds

Advice to Senior ManagementApply the rules to everyone, monitor hours a little more closely

Greatest summer internship I could ask for

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsIncredible staff who want to hear your opinions, even if you are on the low end of the totem pole. They do awesome work, both politically and through their foundation, and are pushing to include more and more people in the fight for LGBT equality.

ConsThe internship was unpaid, which made it hard financially, but it was certainly extremely educational and worth more than what I pay for a semester of college.

Field Manager

Field Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsPassionate workforce. Fun environment. Great cause.

ConsLong hours. If quota is not made you are let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a paypal system for donations.

A growing organization with continued growth throughout the nation that offers opportunities in various career fields.

IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsThriving non-profit organization with many job opportunities. Can be considered a spring-board for other potential jobs which are tied to political offices or attorney-orientated company's.

ConsStill feels that a solid foundation is not present in the organizational day-to-day processes. Too much staff movement and mobility probably accounts for mismanagement at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcedures, guidelines, and standards must be kept up-to-date and enforced.

Worked for Human Rights Campaign? Contribute to the Community!