Human Rights Campaign

Updated 21 October, 2014
Updated 21 October, 2014
4.2

CEO

My experience at the Human Rights Campaign can overall be described as phenomenal.

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are intelligent, personable and passionate about the issues. Interns are made to feel like they're really important to the work that gets done in the organization from the onset. Even while it is unpaid, there are so many opportunities and doors that are opened to you that it really makes up for it in some ways!

Cons

Unpaid internship, which made finding cost-effective living arrangements difficult, and led other interns to pursue jobs after the internship was over for the day in order to fund their summer expenses.
    Some interns were set to one singular task over the course of the entire internship, while others were given a wide breadth of work--sometimes interns would be without work to do, while another intern would have an intensive project they'd be tasked with.

Pay your interns! There are so many worthwhile progressive organizations in D.C. that to remain competitive in getting the best interns, there needs to be compensation for them all.

Great Internship Experience

I have been working at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great passion behind the cause

Cons

It's very fast paced and everyone needs to pull their weight. If they don't, then it gets tricky.

HRC is a great place to work and grow professionally

Former Employee - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Foundation Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at HRC as an intern, I was able to build an incredible community of mentors, fellow activists, and friends. I would highly recommend the internship program. It includes robust programming, valuable mentorship, and fabulous professional connections that I don't know if I could've gotten anywhere else.

Cons

Perhaps the only draw-back to the internship program is that some internships can be very silo-ed. Some of my fellow interns were assigned to only one project and had to fight pretty hard to get flexibility to work on other things. That was not my experience, but I think it's something to watch out for.

I think that management is overall doing a great job! The environment there is friendly, considerate, warm, collegial, and fabulous. I just think that they need to ensure that all interns are PAID in the future. Currently, only a small portion of interns receive stipends.

Fantastic summer internship program.

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, phenomenal educational opportunities, generally has an open-door culture. The program focuses on professional development in a way that few other internships do. Enjoyed the mentoring aspect.

Cons

Like any other internship, it is what you make it. No stipend, so not a place to work unless you're actually passionate about the issues.

Keep doing what you're doing! Consider adding a stipend to make the program more competitive with other internships in the progressive D.C. circle.

loved most of it; hated some experiences

I worked at Human Rights Campaign

Pros

met some of my best friends working there

Cons

slim opportunities for advancement. Abysmal handling, regardless of circumstances, of staff who are parting with the organization. Do better at pursuing justice justly.

GOOD WORK, GREAT ENVIRONMENT

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Laid-back environment with a high energy staff. Very bright and open setting. HRC is highly strategic in the work that it does and plans out strategies excellently.

Cons

Sometimes Senior Management can treat other staff like they are below them. Sometimes "favorites" get away with doing very little while other staff is loaded down with work. Compensation could be higher for entry level staff

Positive internship experience, but could use improvement

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing people, very inviting work environment, opportunity to attend interesting events, great opportunity to grow on a personal level. They hire a great number of former interns.

Cons

The internship is unpaid, which is always a con. They offer a very modest stipend of $100, which doesn't even cover a 28-day pass for the Metro. The workload is not always sufficient; interns are there to learn and grow professionally, it's perfectly fine to give them real work and responsibilities.

There should be a stipend that accurately reflects how much transportation costs.

Pretty good experience with some drawbacks

Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Communications Intern in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone was exceptionally friendly; the interns (and law fellows, to an extent) all bonded. Opportunities to attend events with lots of big names in D.C. They hire out of the intern pool a LOT.

Cons

Unpaid, only $100 in travel stipend for 10 weeks, which is ridiculously low for D.C.'s metro system. Few of the interns had enough work to do; I knew someone who regularly went home at 2 or 3 p.m. and everyone else was surfing the Internet for at least half the day. There's some, but not a lot of, critical examination of the HRC party line.

Expect more of your interns! They can all handle more work, and more substantive work too.

Interning with HRC

I worked at Human Rights Campaign as an intern

Pros

I think the atmosphere at HRC is amazing. The people are really nice and there's no one with a superiority complex. We have a lot of help available to us as interns and people are always eager to answer any questions you have. You learn a lot about the LGBT movement and its history. The brownbag luncheons were really informative. They also feed you really great food!

Cons

The internship was unpaid and our travel stipends were really meager, which makes it a bit difficult to manage.

I know it may not be possible to pay interns, but please think about raising the amount you give interns for the travel stipend.

Good place to learn, not to grow

I worked at Human Rights Campaign full-time

Pros

Opportunity to work on key issues in the LGBT community and be a part of measurable change in state and federal work. HRC is a leader with strong funding ties, making it a very stable place to work. At HRC, there's a good opportunity for learning a set of varied skills outside of the immediate demands of the work.

Cons

Very corporate culture and a reputation for steamrolling other organizations that can make the internal politics of the broader coalition difficult to navigate. In some departments, there is no opportunity to move up either because of existing structure or a tendency to hire management from an external pool of applicants rather than from within.

Human Rights Campaign Photos

Human Right Campaign headquarters (Photo thanks to Flickr user NCinDC, available under by-nd v2.0)
Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user bankbryan, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Green Roof at Human Rights Campaign (Photo thanks to Flickr user whiteknuckled, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)

+ Add Photo