Hotwire

Hotwire Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Hotwire President Henrik Kjellberg

Henrik Kjellberg

Pros:
  • "The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Exciting industry (travel) discounts on travel products"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group"
    in 4 reviews
  • "All the good people left, only the dead water remaining"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great change takes time

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

ProsWork/wellness balance. People want you to take care of yourself here.
Coworkers and great humor in the office.
Redeveloping company culture with great results.
Lots of new hires have come in with a smile on their face, freshening up the place.

ConsChange is slow, and rebuilding the company takes a significant amount of effort.
If you're looking for career growth, you need to make sure you are on your manager's radar at all times.

Great company

User Experience Design Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat culture, excellent benefits, great work life balance. The people and teams are great. Awesome location.

ConsLack of direction, dying brand. There was recently a change in all of the executive team. Not sure yet how they're going to perform.

Challenging time at Hotwire

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood work life balance. fun, friendly coworkers. vacation and travel benefits are great. plenty of opportunities for growth. interesting projects. innovative and agile. pool table and Ping-Pong, free sodas.

ConsHotwire is struggling through difficult changes (lay offs, new leadership, short staffed) with very poor HR support and below market pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better HR support and more competitive pay.

Many recent changes in leadership and focus for the company have made this a difficult place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHotwire has a great product with many years of experience.

ConsReduction in staff in 2013 was not expected and hard for everyone in the company whether you are still there or not.

Good place to work; results-driven

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hotwire full-time

ProsCulture at the company is very friendly and not nearly as political as other places. The company respects work-life balance, while still offering challenging opportunities. The company is very focused on metrics and results-driven.

ConsAs a mid-size company, opportunities for advancement are not very structured or clear. One really needs to take responsibility for one's own career development rather than depend on support from above. To get the best projects, one really needs to have the mentality of a self-starter.

Good times are over.. left with few good employees

Technical Product Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

ProsGood co-workers. Free soft drinks. Jeans ok. Ok location.

ConsAs someone mentioned below " In my 8 years of experience never seen an HR so bad". Would agree with that. HR is not helpful and on top of that their attitude does not help. If you say you are leaving they will treat you like their family enemy. Work-life balance are non-existent depending on the group. Salary is not up to market.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide some training to the HR. They are taking their job for granted.

So far so good

I have been working at Hotwire full-time

ProsGreat work/life balance and benefit

ConsGoing through lots of changes due to new management

Run Far and Fast

Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work life balance. (Most employees are in the office at 9/9:30 am and leave by 5/5:30 pm). Friendly Employees. Fun company events.

ConsLots of layers. Little communication among departments, everyone is very silo. Changes are slow. Analytics are very basic. Little career development and mentoring. No clear direction.

Some sharp engineers. That's where it ends.

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

ProsThere's a safety net from Expedia, which gives the company a relaxed form. Economies of scale apply as you have access to technology and accounts created by 12k employees at the parent company. There are some good and some great engineers at Hotwire, especially at the architect level. If you run a product, you get full ownership.

ConsIt's 2003 at Hotwire's Codebase, UX and risk aversion. It's 2008 for the rest: salaries, perks, etc. Times are tough for the company, and that's no secret. But HR is *extremely* sketchy here. In my 8 years of experience, I've never encountered a company that tries to take advantage of an employee already leaving. Also, LOTS of nepotism from the new president. Lots and lots and lots of nepotism. Copious amounts of it. Did I mention there's a lot of nepotism?

Advice to Senior ManagementStop lying. Employees will never judge good leadership for transparency. They will judge for lying. If you'd like to make Hotwire a 20 person marketing brand for Expedia, then just convey that. However, rapid changes are happening. Means we'll see how Hotwire shapes up in forthcoming months. It could be for the better.

Big changes

I have been working at Hotwire full-time for more than a year

ProsCoworkers, development environment. Good engineers that collaborate well in an agile environment.

ConsBig corporate restructure. After layoffs, emphasis is on saving money meaning not sure how work will be valued during performance reviews.

Worked for Hotwire? Contribute to the Community!

Hotwire Videos

Hotwire – Why Work for Us?

Working with us is all about inspiration, challenge, collaboration and having a say in what you do. Hotwire’s got the energy of a startup, PLUS, the stability of being part of the Expedia family of companies -- the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hotwire reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hotwire CEO Henrik Kjellberg. All 94 reviews are posted anonymously by Hotwire employees.