Hot Topic

Hot Topic Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Hot Topic CEO & Director Lisa Harper

Lisa Harper

Pros
  • Good employee discount, Somewhat flexible with schedule changes, dress code (in 45 reviews)

• Freedom to be yourself, no dress code, decent music (at times) (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management really has no clue what it is like day to day in an actual store (in 20 reviews)

• Lack of hours for sales associates (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing places to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Murfreesboro, TN (US)

ProsNo pressure, don't have to push credit cards. fast pace but relaxed

ConsLack of hours for sales associates

Fun job, pay sucks

Hot Topic Sales Associate (Current Employee) Whitehall, PA (US)

ProsAmazing employee discount
    friendly coworkers
    very open dress code
    can look however you want

ConsThe pay is beyond terrible

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't pay new employees minimum wage. I have over 5 years of retail experience, I deserve more than 7.25 an hour

As fun as you make it.

Store Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNo dress code, great music, fun atmosphere. Made lifelong friends here.

ConsThere are great customers and very very uneducated awful customers...but that's at any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementCalm down.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wonderful Experience!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team environment. Everyone working for the same goal across the entire company! Supportive HQ Team, Regional Directors, and District Managers. This company is filled with strong mentors that will help move you on your path!

ConsTypical retail cons. Holidays are tough to spend time with family.

Great place to be yourself and develop experience

Store Manager (Current Employee) Kahului, HI (US)

ProsBenefits, fun product, great atmosphere, great co-workers, customer base, vacation and sick time, easy transfer process, development plans.

ConsNot enough hours, work load is never balanced, compensation is minimal, salary pay employees on the sales floor is rare, district managers need to spend more time on the sales floor and learn more about the product we sell and customer base, more positive recognition to teams exceeding sales plan and other goals etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation, recognition, lead by example, help set up stores for success, more hours, more communication between stores in district.

Learned a lot since I started young and worked my way into store management, stiffed towards the end though

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIn the beginning the pay was great, freedom to be and express yourself, laid back environment, fairly easy work

ConsCompany stopped giving raises, took away payroll and positions that were necessary to run a smoothly functioning operation, added more work onto less people. There were many nights when I worked all alone. Sales goals were very unrealistic at times, as well as a huge load of manual tasks when there were a lot of customers to be helped and cleaning to be done. I was diagnosed with a disease and DM offered VERY LITTLE support to help while I was hospitalized and then ultimately fired me after a few months saying I "wasn't doing my job". Merchandise got cheaper and less appealing over the years too. My DM had her favorites and sadly I wasn't one of them so unless I was getting critiqued or written up I rarely saw her.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like real people and have some compassion. District managers should be more hands-on and help ALL stores, not just their favorites.

fun job, not awesome pay

Part Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Brockton, MA (US)

Prosfun atmosphere, employee discounted merchandise, great experience

Conspay was low for full time position (full time hours, classified part time). Semi juvenile management team at the store and district level

Great place to gain job experience. They are a great place to work while going to school.

Prosmost management is consistent on giving you the tools to succeed. takes are clearly defined. A very fun work environment. It is very easy to move up. This was my first job and within 6 months I was management.

ConsHours are inconsistent. We are usually not fully staffed due to it being hard to find employees that fit the criteria. Management is not paid as well as other retail companies in the mall. Hours are stretched thin so it is stressful to get tasking and sales goals completed.

Its so bad, I would prefer McDonalds.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsIt USED to be fun; they always played good music, my managers were amazing, and work was completed. Everyone was happyEveryontheir job, and got okay hours.

ConsSince they changed management, I have had nothig but trouble. I was supposed to become a keyholder when I turned 18 -I have been working there November 2, 2012- but hired someone who isn't even supposed to work there, due to working at a competition store. Not to mention they cut down everyone to three hour shifts, which would be fine if it was over 9 hours a week.
    That DOES NOT PAY THE BILLS.
    The manager never does her job, and when I and an ex keyholder made a report, they accused us of causing drama.
    The brand new sales associates aren't stayig in their zones, always calling in, and never doing their jobs (for example, yelling at a 17 year old for not taking out the trash, which they aren't allowed to do.). Somehow, the new sales associates get 14 hours, and people that have been there waaaay longer, actually care about the customers, and do their jobs don't get paid enough nor get enough hours. They have treated us so poorly, and I will never shop there after I leave.
    And another thing, they don't give military discounts to veterans and elder members of military, " It must be a current, vertical military I.D..
    To be honest, I give it to everyone that has or is in the military, the least we could do is give them 10% off.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together! You've lost a lot of good employees, you're not the only place that "allows" people to express themselves. People will figure that out, you're. Not special anymore.

This job was a lot of fun and it was a great learning experience for me.

Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Wayne, NJ (US)

ProsAtmosphere & Environment, Flexibility, Creativity, Growth

ConsTypical Retail Stress, Very Exclusive Culture, Low salaries, Low Raises, Many times there are limited hours and so many people on staff that part-time employees barely get any hours.. many times as little as 4 hours per week

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be beneficial to pay a livable wage in order to hold on to valuable employees and to raise morale. I feel that this company relies heavily on it's fun culture and environment in order to pay a lower wage. In some cases, it is known that many of the employees have a difficult time getting a job in a "typical" atmosphere due to their somewhat different/"out of the norm" appearances; so many times, the company offers an extremely low wage/low raises because they feel that employees have few other options in the business world.
     It is also important to refrain from judging others so much. It seems that management sometimes goes out of its way to select employees that foster a very specific culture, so many people are excluded from the "counterculture" that the company is trying to include.

Worked for Hot Topic? Contribute to the Community!