Honeywell

3.2 1,445 reviews

Honeywell Chairman and CEO David M. Cote

David M. Cote

1,445 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Decent valuing of work/ life balance, work week pretty much limited to 40 hours"
    in 93 reviews
  • "Good compensation package and work environment, when US Govt market was good"
    in 60 reviews
Cons:
  • "People are biased sometimes based on region, at times it will spoil your work life balance"
    in 37 reviews
  • "Upper management seems to be completely disconnected from the employees"
    in 33 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

proud to work for a professional company

I worked at Honeywell full-time

Prosquality controls, customer focus, opportunity

Consend of the day, corporate income rules!!!

Good company, but...

Markham, ON

I worked at Honeywell full-time for more than a year

ProsGood friendly environment and nice people. I would say the pay/benefits were slightly above industry average. Overall nice company to work at

ConsDoesn't spend enough money on QA, too much emphasis on project/sales and not enough on support. Because support doesn't generate the $$$ on the books, they rather do patch work style support and ask for $$$ everytime

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management uses recession as excuse to fire people. In one meeting they tell you how much the company is making, the next they tell you more people are being laidoff.

No longer a good company to work for

I worked at Honeywell full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay is good, but good luck getting a decent raise.

ConsThe company is top heavy at the corporate level. At individual sites, they run with the minimum number of employees possible. Everybody wears multiple hats. Everything gets done in a mediocre way. Nothing gets done well because you are always in a rush to get to the next fire.

Local management are yes men to the US corporate team. All sites are not held to the same standards. US locations can get away with more push back than Canadian sites, even when it comes to safety.

All management (local and corporate) like to read out the rules, but fail to follow these same rules themselves.

Management is not honest or ethical when it comes to reviews. You can refute what is said, but they say that once they have entered their reviews into the system they cannot be changed. They will not even put in addendums even when their is physical proof.

HOS is a huge burden to small locations. There is minimal benefit to the site, but the costs are huge. It is all about "metrics" that time is spent on compiling, but are not used to better the location.

CEO is too overpaid and not worth the cost.

no place for growth

Supply Chain (Current Employee)

I have been working at Honeywell full-time for more than 10 years

Prospeople friendly and easy going

Consmanagement too short term vision

Advice to Senior Managementwalk the talk

It was a pretty adequate experience

HVAC Mechanic (Former Employee)

I worked at Honeywell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSteady amounts of work, somewhat predictable and pretty good pay

ConsYou will be on call alot

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure not to choose people who cut corners and please don't outsource jobs

OK company for engineers

Design Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Honeywell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's less often to see head cuts compared to other companies. Employees have some chances to flow to different positions.

ConsThe vertical and horizontal reporting structures are sometimes over-complicated. Business is driven by key person, not facts or subjective researches. A marketing, not engineering dominated culture. Career development is not easy.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess business rhetoric. Be real and be relevant to the people who are supposed to make things happen.

Nice place to work for

Senior Control Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Honeywell full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly people, authority with responsibility, challenges and learning experience

ConsBusiness matters more than people.

Honeywell - The Long Slide Downhill into Mediocrity

Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Honeywell full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIf you're a self starter and have a lot of motivation, you can gain a lot of practical experience. They take safety seriously. Reasonable benefits. Good on the resume.

ConsIf you are good, you'll be picking up the slack for the many people who are lazy, indifferent and/or incompetent, yet somehow keep their jobs. Many try to avoid work at all costs until they can go into retierment. Getting promoted is in title only because those above you are waiting to go into retierment. They try to use a "1 size fits all" approach to measuring the value of all processes and don't look at the soft benefits of any changes. They have lost the ability to look at themselves and find fault. Upper management is out of US sites and makes seemingly random decisions because they have little firsthand experience about how the work is done. Many local managers in Canada are just "yes men" for the US management. There is little reward for exceeding expectations and no punishment for being behind the curve.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify the people who are lazy, indifferent or incompetent and fire them ASAP. Distribute their salaries to the competent people. DO NOT use "metrics" to find the dead weight because the lazy ones are deft at getting the hard workers to cover for them. No productivity will be lost from the lazy ones and the productive people will work faster and better because they are being rewarded for getting the job done.

Not bad experience

QA Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Honeywell full-time for more than a year

ProsGood on your resume, learned a lot in terms of lean and six sigma.

ConsHOS drives everyone nuts. A bunch of fat lazy senior management around.

Advice to Senior ManagementDown to earth.

Designed hardware and software solutions for automated testing equipment

Test Engineer (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON

I worked at Honeywell as a contractor for more than a year

ProsClear processes and methodologies are followed
Experienced Design Engineers with high subject matter expertise
Opportunity to work on complex engineering projects with multi-disciplinary teams

ConsHierarchical organizational structure - difficult for career progression (some people have been performing the same level of tasks for over 20 years)
Extensive use of contract positions who are not entitled to healthcare benefits, statutory holidays
Loss of efficiency due to complex sign-off procedures

Worked for Honeywell? Contribute to the Community!

Honeywell Videos

Honeywell – Why Work for Us?

Honeywell's global customers, broad range of industries and innovative technologies combine to offer you dynamic career opportunities with tremendous growth potential in more than 100 countries worldwide. Your career… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Honeywell reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Honeywell CEO David M. Cote. All 1,445 reviews are posted anonymously by Honeywell employees.