Home Instead Senior Care

Updated 26 February, 2015
Updated 26 February, 2015
3.5

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been an awesome experience giving me the opportunity to make a difference in Seniors Lives.

Current Employee - Care Giver
    Current Employee - Care Giver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives.
    Flexible Hours

Cons

Not enough hours
    Pay in not substantial

Was rewarded for EXCELLENT service by passively being laid off

Former Employee - Caregiver in Etobicoke, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful clients, varied placements: hospice, etc. Great families. Lots of opportunities to meet coworkers through paid info sessions ex: Alzheimer's training, first aid and food safety.

Cons

Poor wages. Lack of respect for front line workers by office staff. Poor communication. No benefits.
    I want to start out by saying that ALL of the clients I had through this company complimented my work 100%, I even received the caregiver of the month award. I worked with this company for over 9 months before I was told that I would be taken off of a main (a higher paying client) assignment immediately. I had slight health issues that the time that occasionally caused me to run late. This was the reason I was taken off of the roster, no warnings. NOTHING. I was told that I would be placed somewhere else but never heard back. I realized that this was their way of basically firing me without "letting me go". 2 weeks without communication from them and I called and explained how unprofessional it was of them to keep me stranded. I explained that I had a mortgage to make and their lack of communication was completely unprofessional and disrespectful. I asked if they wanted me to stop by to return my badge and their material/ documents and they said no.

Also, I later learned that the client's family was FURIOUS that I was taken off as caregiver an shortly after stopped dealing with homeinstead.
    -M

Pay your front line staff (caregivers, PSW's) more and treat them with CARE and respect. Without them, your company is nothing.

get a job at a legitimate company-don't waste your time

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

none- people who care about seniors will find an ethical place to work

Cons

no money, hours or a reference when your future employer learns that you worked for these guys

I am sorry that Canada allows you to set up shop in our country

An intense learning experience to start my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is fantastic support and training available from the head office. It is a company, that at the core, is about providing great quality care to a vulnerable population. There is tremendous job satisfaction because of the work and objectives of the organization. Because this is a small franchise, it is a great introduction to different business processes.

Cons

Because it is franchised, the personal history and managerial style of the owner greatly influences the work experience. Due to the small team in the office, and the commitment to 24/7 access, the on call schedule is extremely taxing. Personality fit is everything, and it is a continuous struggle to attract and retain talent due to low wages and no guarantee of hours.

Greater objectivity is required, as well as non-monetary perks to supplement low wages. More thorough training should be offered initially, and written procedures would add much-needed structure.

great experience

Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

24 hour support for caregivers
    provides a detailed client back ground before you go into the home
    has meetings every other month
    provides great training

Cons

As the team grows there can be some miss communication, however it continues to improve.

Not worth the effort

Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The good work that they do for seniors.

Cons

The interview process was fairly easy, however it had still been an entire month before I was offered a shift. I have since found employment elsewhere. Part -time as an option is great...No-time however was a complete waste of time

Speed up the time it takes to provide shifts to your employees. It shouldn't take so long!

Schedule and Pay

Current Employee - In Home Non-medical Senior Care Giver in Fort Collins, CO (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Scheduling staff is well organized and considerate of the Caregiver's availability. The requests to fill in last minute shifts is with full regard to the Clients needs and the option given the Caregivers to Fill In is truly optional. I understand that flexibility is needed when last minute demands are offered. I know I can say No without explaining myself.

Cons

After completing 90 days of shift work I would appreciate the consideration of increased hourly wage. Also I would appreciate feedback from Management on my performance to be able to advance and/or obtain increased wages.

Please activate a review process for the Caregivers to know their performance on the job and the opportunity to advance in both pay and job description. I feel this will improve not only performance but acknowledgement is always appreciated and improvement goals would be established as needed.

The word "care" does not belong in the company name.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Bethel Park, PA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours for the most part, decent pay

Cons

Very poor communication skills, inconsistent scheduling, significant lack of listening skills

Please listen to your CAREGivers. They are the ones going into the client's homes, not you. When they are on approved vacation time, respect that and - most importantly - remember that! Treat them with respect and maybe, just maybe, you won't find yourself having to replace them all the time.

Flexible Time off, no overtime / low pay, unprofessional schedulers

Current Employee - Caregiver in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Bloomington, IN (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- They are very flexible with time off as long as you ask off 2 weeks in advance. I have never been denied a day off when I've asked for it in advance even when my reasons for asking off were not always extraordinary.

- They provided many training classes in which you are payed to take, and you can also take a CPR certification class for free.

- To me the job was personally rewarding because you are able to help people who can't help themselves and you form a bond with the clients and their families. Reimbursed for mileage while on the job.

- It seems that they do care for the clients and it shows through the types of workers that they hire to take care of the clients.

Cons

- The pay is low for the amount of work the caregivers do and this became more apparent once I learned how much they charge the clients. I understand that they have expenses but it is fairly obvious that they can afford to pay us more or at least pay us for overtime. Even though we are reimbursed for mileage on the job if you have multiple clients each day you have to drive a good amount to multiple locations without pay and this can take up a lot of time depending on how far each client lives.

- The schedulers are very pushy and guilt you into filling shifts last minute. I met someone who used to work in one of the offices and they informed me that, in their office, they were trained to use the idea that most caregivers are kind people who might feel bad about not helping a client and will not refuse a fill in shift even if it is a large inconvenience for them to do so, I have even been called on days that I normally have off or that I have asked off. There are times where I have been scheduled or have had my shifts extended to where I had no time in breaks in between clients because of driving and had no time to eat all day. They allow you to bring food to clients' houses but there are some clients who do not permit this and others where you need to interact with the client the entire time you are at their house so you have no time to eat anyway. Many times I could not prepare meals because I was called in for a shift while at another shift, so had no time to go home or to pick something up.

- In our office, we were not given the option of direct deposit for our pay checks. They say that they do this as a means to get to know their caregivers better, and while this may be true and I like the idea behind it, it is often an inconvenience to take time out of my already busy day to drive to the office to pick it up.

My main advice would be to pay your workers overtime and / or raise their salaries. I love doing my job but it's just barely enough to get by, even when working 50+ hours a week, sometimes 7 days a week.

Caregiver

Former Employee - Caregiver in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

There was never a shortage of hours. I always finished the week having worked more hours than I had planned on working. The pay was good for the amount of work required.

Cons

I was often called at the last minute to do assignments. I got the feeling that I wasn't seen as an actual human being by the company or the schedulers: I was just a machine to be sent to various last-minute assignments. Once I was scheduled for a night shift, and at the last minute they asked me to do a morning shift the next day. I was only able to get about four hours of sleep in between shifts. And caring for seniors is not the kind of job where you can get away with coming to work tired and foggy-minded. I had to deal with clients who, once I got there, expected more for their money. So they would talk me into doing things that were not part of the plan they paid for with the company.

Training should be more extensive so that potential employees know exactly what they are getting into. Seniors in the later stages of dementia can be impossible to deal with. New employees with very little training know the book knowledge for caring for seniors, but I don't think they are properly prepared for the emotional toll taken from caring for dementia patients. It is far more than learning proper hygiene and making sure seniors don't fall. I suggest an internship or on-the-job training before potential employees are sent on their first assignment alone. And I suggest having the intern accompany an experienced worker at an assignment with a patient who is in the later stages of dementia so that the potential employee will know the worst of what they will have to deal with before being hired.