Home Instead Senior Care Reviews

Updated 14 April, 2015
286 reviews filtered by
3.2
Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

1. Has been an awesome experience giving me the opportunity to make a difference in Seniors Lives.

Current Employee - Care Giver
    Current Employee - Care Giver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives.
    Flexible Hours

Cons

Not enough hours
    Pay in not substantial

2. Was rewarded for EXCELLENT service by passively being laid off

Former Employee - Caregiver in Etobicoke, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Etobicoke, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful clients, varied placements: hospice, etc. Great families. Lots of opportunities to meet coworkers through paid info sessions ex: Alzheimer's training, first aid and food safety.

Cons

Poor wages. Lack of respect for front line workers by office staff. Poor communication. No benefits.
    I want to start out by saying that ALL of the clients I had through this company complimented my work 100%, I even received the caregiver of the month award. I worked with this company for over 9 months before I was told that I would be taken off of a main (a higher paying client) assignment immediately. I had slight health issues that the time that occasionally caused me to run late. This was the reason I was taken off of the roster, no warnings. NOTHING. I was told that I would be placed somewhere else but never heard back. I realized that this was their way of basically firing me without "letting me go". 2 weeks without communication from them and I called and explained how unprofessional it was of them to keep me stranded. I explained that I had a mortgage to make and their lack of communication was completely unprofessional and disrespectful. I asked if they wanted me to stop by to return my badge and their material/ documents and they said no.

Also, I later learned that the client's family was FURIOUS that I was taken off as caregiver an shortly after stopped dealing with homeinstead.
    -M

Advice to Management

Pay your front line staff (caregivers, PSW's) more and treat them with CARE and respect. Without them, your company is nothing.

get a job at a legitimate company-don't waste your time

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

none- people who care about seniors will find an ethical place to work

Cons

no money, hours or a reference when your future employer learns that you worked for these guys

Advice to Management

I am sorry that Canada allows you to set up shop in our country

5. An intense learning experience to start my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is fantastic support and training available from the head office. It is a company, that at the core, is about providing great quality care to a vulnerable population. There is tremendous job satisfaction because of the work and objectives of the organization. Because this is a small franchise, it is a great introduction to different business processes.

Cons

Because it is franchised, the personal history and managerial style of the owner greatly influences the work experience. Due to the small team in the office, and the commitment to 24/7 access, the on call schedule is extremely taxing. Personality fit is everything, and it is a continuous struggle to attract and retain talent due to low wages and no guarantee of hours.

Advice to Management

Greater objectivity is required, as well as non-monetary perks to supplement low wages. More thorough training should be offered initially, and written procedures would add much-needed structure.

great experience

Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than a year)

Pros

24 hour support for caregivers
    provides a detailed client back ground before you go into the home
    has meetings every other month
    provides great training

Cons

As the team grows there can be some miss communication, however it continues to improve.

7. Not worth the effort

Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The good work that they do for seniors.

Cons

The interview process was fairly easy, however it had still been an entire month before I was offered a shift. I have since found employment elsewhere. Part -time as an option is great...No-time however was a complete waste of time

Advice to Management

Speed up the time it takes to provide shifts to your employees. It shouldn't take so long!

8. Care Giver

Current Employee - Caregiver in Gettysburg, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Gettysburg, PA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Love working for this company! The are understanding and easy to work with. The Clients are great to work with too! We get our schedule a month at a time so it is nice to know what is going on too!

Cons

ust be willing to work weekend and holidays.

Friendly company, staff works hard to accomodate client and caregiver needs.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Vancouver, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Vancouver, WA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Really nice being able to help seniors that need companionship and assistance. Good for part time work, either as light second income or while attending school.

Cons

Hours are not steady. Clients and work hours are constantly changing. Pay is not great. Not really a career job, not much advancement opportunities.

10. Caregiver

Current Employee - Caregiver in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than a year)

Pros

With this job you can work flex hrs.

Cons

IThis job is rewarding , but can bee stressful

11. Awsom company for senior care in need of companionship.

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care

Pros

Flexible work and client schedules.

Cons

I cannot think of any.