Home Instead Senior Care

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • One pro is that you are helping create jobs and helping seniors stay in their home (in 7 reviews)

• Ability to help seniors stay independent, flexible hours, good training (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay, benefits only for office staff (in 9 reviews)

• No benefits or paid time off, little interaction with other caregivers, lack of company support (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been an awesome experience giving me the opportunity to make a difference in Seniors Lives.

Care Giver (Current Employee)

ProsOpportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives.
    Flexible Hours

ConsNot enough hours
    Pay in not substantial

An intense learning experience to start my career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Halifax, NS

ProsThere is fantastic support and training available from the head office. It is a company, that at the core, is about providing great quality care to a vulnerable population. There is tremendous job satisfaction because of the work and objectives of the organization. Because this is a small franchise, it is a great introduction to different business processes.

ConsBecause it is franchised, the personal history and managerial style of the owner greatly influences the work experience. Due to the small team in the office, and the commitment to 24/7 access, the on call schedule is extremely taxing. Personality fit is everything, and it is a continuous struggle to attract and retain talent due to low wages and no guarantee of hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater objectivity is required, as well as non-monetary perks to supplement low wages. More thorough training should be offered initially, and written procedures would add much-needed structure.

great experience

Caregiver (Current Employee) Windsor, ON

Pros24 hour support for caregivers
    provides a detailed client back ground before you go into the home
    has meetings every other month
    provides great training

ConsAs the team grows there can be some miss communication, however it continues to improve.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth the effort

Caregiver/Driver (Former Employee) Mississauga, ON

ProsThe good work that they do for seniors.

ConsThe interview process was fairly easy, however it had still been an entire month before I was offered a shift. I have since found employment elsewhere. Part -time as an option is great...No-time however was a complete waste of time

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up the time it takes to provide shifts to your employees. It shouldn't take so long!

Certified Medical Assistant

Home Health Caregiver (Current Employee) Media, PA (US)

ProsI would be very interested in speaking with you regarding job opportunities within your health organization. I am confident in my ability to contribute to the success of your patients and I hope to have the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my qualifications.

ConsWorking as home health aide there is no advancement so I went to school to become a Medical Assistant

Advice to Senior ManagementI am a team player with over 15 years in the medical field. Worked at a chemical company with several doctors and played a major part in the medical office. Certified in Phlebotomy and assisting in overall duties.

This is a good place to make a difference and find a start in health care.

Senior Care Giver (Former Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

ProsGreat office staff. Flexible hours that work around your schedule. Willing to work with you to find a good fit.

ConsMinimum number of hours not guaranteed. It all depends on how many clients they have and what fits your schedule.

Great experience.

Caregiver (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsVery friendly, helpful staff. Great chance to meet some very interesting people/patients. Good overall experience. Leadership and training were really good, and many opportunities for continued education. The senior management was very understanding and helpful in every aspect of the job.

ConsClients are always changing, making it sometimes difficult to find a long-term patient. Also it is common to be contacted outside of working hours quite often as their clients are always new and in immediate need of care. The pay isn't very high considering the importance of the work, but that is more cultural issue than it is a company issue. Care givers deserve higher pay in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Depends on the owner

ProsLove helping the community, and the seniors

Consif you work for the wrong type of owner

Work with wonderful seniors for very low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat sense of accomplishment in assisting individuals who need and appreciate the help

ConsLow pay, hours inconsistent

Advice to Senior Managementthere is a need to get into the trenches to understand how much a caregiver gives of self emotionally and physically

Great company with great values

Caregiver (Current Employee) Olympia, WA (US)

ProsWorking with their client base is amazing. They really try to make sure all of employees and clients are happy, healthy and have a good work home life balance. The administrators are fun to work with too.

ConsHours can flucuate and there are no benefits due to ACA FTE requirements

Worked for Home Instead Senior Care? Contribute to the Community!