Home Instead Senior Care

Updated 25 November, 2014
Updated 25 November, 2014
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Hounded you for shifts even if you couldn't work, low pay, poorly managee (in 17 reviews)

• No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been an awesome experience giving me the opportunity to make a difference in Seniors Lives.

Current Employee - Care Giver
    Current Employee - Care Giver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives.
    Flexible Hours

Cons

Not enough hours
    Pay in not substantial

An intense learning experience to start my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is fantastic support and training available from the head office. It is a company, that at the core, is about providing great quality care to a vulnerable population. There is tremendous job satisfaction because of the work and objectives of the organization. Because this is a small franchise, it is a great introduction to different business processes.

Cons

Because it is franchised, the personal history and managerial style of the owner greatly influences the work experience. Due to the small team in the office, and the commitment to 24/7 access, the on call schedule is extremely taxing. Personality fit is everything, and it is a continuous struggle to attract and retain talent due to low wages and no guarantee of hours.

Greater objectivity is required, as well as non-monetary perks to supplement low wages. More thorough training should be offered initially, and written procedures would add much-needed structure.

great experience

Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

24 hour support for caregivers
    provides a detailed client back ground before you go into the home
    has meetings every other month
    provides great training

Cons

As the team grows there can be some miss communication, however it continues to improve.

Not worth the effort

Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The good work that they do for seniors.

Cons

The interview process was fairly easy, however it had still been an entire month before I was offered a shift. I have since found employment elsewhere. Part -time as an option is great...No-time however was a complete waste of time

Speed up the time it takes to provide shifts to your employees. It shouldn't take so long!

Great team

Current Employee - Recruitment and Retention Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment and Retention Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I work with the best people I could ever want and everyone is very friendly I am paid a decent wage and get 28 days paid vacation..I enjoy assisting and talking with our clients and no job is to big for my branch. 99% of our caregivers are happy also..

Cons

No cons for me I like everytrhing about working here..

Keep up the good work!!

I currently work here

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Office environment
    Work closely with others

Cons

No room to grow, little benefits

Assist Elderly With Everyday Life.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Crossville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Crossville, TN (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working With This Company, Allows Me Feel What I Do Day To Day Is Important.

Cons

My Weekly Hours Are Low.

Home care for Seniors

Current Employee - CNA in Kennesaw, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Kennesaw, GA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The client is in their familiar surroundings and usually have family near or that visits often. I was able to work in homes, assisted living facility and a rehab center when the family wanted someone there to help with care as there was a high fall risk. The care needed was evaluated by the company nurse and if there were any questions, you could call the office. They often knew what the family wanted and any changes to be made.

Cons

It is very hard to need to go to a different place each day and sometimes the directions were wrong. The work was not regular. Too many weeks with no clients. They might have needed to give them to the new hires since they seem to hire more nearly every week. I have been with the company since July but have had only a few weeks of regular clients.

Be considerate of employees needs as well as client needs. Hard to keep employees when they aren't able to have work.

A caring company.

Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Huntsville, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Home Health Caregiver in Huntsville, AL (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good training from the start, continued training, good opportunities for advancement, professional staff, and they send you cards seem to show their appreciation.

Cons

Caregiver pay (it is what it is..), there may be times when you do not have shifts to work (its kind of as needed).

Keep up the good work. Try to find a way to increase the pay rate up to at least 9.00 per hour. I think that that might attract more professional caregivers.

Excellent brand

Former Employee - Key Player in Palmyra, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Key Player in Palmyra, PA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Make a difference in life of elderly

Cons

Lots of changes constantly, part of the business