Home Instead Senior Care

Updated 28 October, 2014
Updated 28 October, 2014
3.3

Roger Baumgart

Pros
  • Great group of people who want to make a difference and help seniors (in 10 reviews)

• Flexible hours that work around your schedule (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits back then in 2010 and unreliable caregivers relieving one from a shift (in 16 reviews)

• Management makes snap decisions, low pay, no benefits (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Has been an awesome experience giving me the opportunity to make a difference in Seniors Lives.

Current Employee - Care Giver
    Current Employee - Care Giver

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in Seniors lives.
    Flexible Hours

Cons

Not enough hours
    Pay in not substantial

An intense learning experience to start my career.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halifax, NS

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is fantastic support and training available from the head office. It is a company, that at the core, is about providing great quality care to a vulnerable population. There is tremendous job satisfaction because of the work and objectives of the organization. Because this is a small franchise, it is a great introduction to different business processes.

Cons

Because it is franchised, the personal history and managerial style of the owner greatly influences the work experience. Due to the small team in the office, and the commitment to 24/7 access, the on call schedule is extremely taxing. Personality fit is everything, and it is a continuous struggle to attract and retain talent due to low wages and no guarantee of hours.

Greater objectivity is required, as well as non-monetary perks to supplement low wages. More thorough training should be offered initially, and written procedures would add much-needed structure.

great experience

Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Windsor, ON

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (more than an year)

Pros

24 hour support for caregivers
    provides a detailed client back ground before you go into the home
    has meetings every other month
    provides great training

Cons

As the team grows there can be some miss communication, however it continues to improve.

Not worth the effort

Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON
    Former Employee - Caregiver/Driver in Mississauga, ON

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The good work that they do for seniors.

Cons

The interview process was fairly easy, however it had still been an entire month before I was offered a shift. I have since found employment elsewhere. Part -time as an option is great...No-time however was a complete waste of time

Speed up the time it takes to provide shifts to your employees. It shouldn't take so long!

High value, low pay

Former Employee - Caregiver
    Former Employee - Caregiver

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can get enormous joy from feeling useful.
    You know you are providing needed service to a generally unserved portion of the population.
    Most of the people you care for are delightful, and listening to them gives you a clear window to the past. They are "Living History"!
    You can, often, get more latitude, concerning hours/days worked, than many other types of work. Training is provided, free of charge.
    You will learn patience, and a sense of humour, along with your other lessons.

Cons

You must expect to "lose" clients, frequently, due to age/health issues.
    Sadly, you are not allowed to "follow" clients that you no longer care for. You may not visit them, or have contact with their family. In many cases, I was not even informed of their death until weeks, or months, after their funeral. Then, it was because I inquired after them.
    Pay is low, expectations are high. You are often informed that you will be needed with little notice, and little respect as to your current plans.
    It is difficult to keep from becoming fond of your clients, and this can be a source of stress.

Pay more attention to your caregivers, they may see day to day problems that you miss.
    Pay your caregivers what they are worth. We understand about your "bottom line", but we need to address ours, too. We are doing a physically, and emotionally, demanding job. We deserve more than a "babysitter's" compensation.
    Hire "floaters". Caregivers who can come in, on short notice, on any shift, as needed. This will eliminate having to call caregivers in, at the last minute, or on their day off, when they have plans.
    You should give floaters slightly more, per hour, as they are constantly "on call".
    When considering rewards; cups and plaques are nice; but shirts, gift cards, and checks, are much more useful. There should be more rewards for "good work", (in addition to, not instead of) as most now, are for length of service.

Excellent brand

Former Employee - Key Player in Palmyra, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Key Player in Palmyra, PA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Make a difference in life of elderly

Cons

Lots of changes constantly, part of the business

Very great company to work for. Very Nice staff.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Birmingham, AL (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, Nice staff, great pay

Cons

Nothing Cons to say about this Employee.

I have gain great experience working for homes instead as a Nurse assistant.

Former Employee - Nurse Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Nurse Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You meet new and interesting people.

Cons

Contracts are always short, never long term.

Great to be able to help care for different people and help them be more independent.

Current Employee - CNA in Cartersville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - CNA in Cartersville, GA (US)

I have been working at Home Instead Senior Care part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is interesting getting to meet new people and learning their needs. I am also independent and need to make decisions for their needed care and things to keep them active and involved. I was able to get a pay increase after trial period and training is provided by the company. Nurse is available for questions and to check on client if needed. Schedule is sometimes regular but often changes as different clients have different needs and family to help.

Cons

Trying to find new places, sometimes directions aren't specific or GPS doesn't lead to correct area. Driving between assignments and not knowing time needed to travel to new areas. No compensation for driving long distances and between assignments and sometimes long time period between assignments but too far to go home so hard to use time well.

Management difficulties

I worked at Home Instead Senior Care full-time

Pros

Treated caregivers better than many other employers in the industry, wonderful training and fantastic clients

Cons

Management makes snap decisions, low pay, no benefits. Office staff notbtreated with respect by management

Think thingsvthrough more before staff changes. Make expectations clear and consistent. Offer coaching to employees instead of only discipline.