Holiday Retirement

Updated 19 August, 2014

1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

If you enjoy a consistent beat down and a click-ish, cool kids mentality, join in the fun!

Pros

Meeting seniors and families who truly have a need and helping them to navigate thru the move process.

Cons

Senior leadership is out for themselves. Period. No direction, no training, NO INTEGRITY! Culture is dog eat dog. I'm ALL for making a buck but not at the expense of my integrity or wildly unbalanced work/play ethic. They don't care who goes or stays. It's a turn and burn culture with the mind set that they'll just put someone else in the role if things don't work out. When I started with company I trained with 6 people in my role. Only one of them is left. That was less than a year ago.............

Quite sure they have no interest in my advice..... I tried that once, just before I resigned.

Absolutely The Worst Senior Living Company in the Country!

Former Employee - Executive Chef
    Former Employee - Executive Chef

Pros

Got a pay check. Really that's it.

Cons

65 hour work week mostly by yourself, filthy dated buildings, lousy regional chefs, strict budget, transient managers & co-managers, REIT status,

Clean house and start over. In 2014 your mission should not be to trick seniors into gobbling up sweets and sugar snacks and then serving the same leftovers 4 times in a row with frozen vegetables at every meal.

This companies per person plate cost is $3.93 for 3 full meals. Absurd! That's why they try to bake from scratch and fill these seniors up on snacks and sugar. Because flour and sugar are cheap. Oh and the EGGs! Eggs at every freaking meal. Eggs or Jello salad.The chef recipe data base is a joke, regional chefs are old school slop cooks from the 80's, you are micromanaged to death down to your food order, you do your own laundry, clean employee break rooms and scrub all pots and pans even as executive chef. Servers are also housekeeping so they just served you your eggs bennies then they go scrub your toilet and come back and hand you a sandwich. This is by far the worst culinary operation model I have ever seen. I can't believe I ruined my career by working here. I should have stayed where I was but I thought this place was legit. Buildings are dated, smell like urine and are filled with negative staff because everyone is managed by fear. The regional chef in my area is a dirtball of a human being. Screaming at me about the budget after one week on the job. Telling me to serve same leftovers 4 days in a row. Somebody call 60 minutes on them please. I don't even believe the top level directors even exist. I think one person runs all of their outlook accounts. So many scams as listed on here by others and they are all true. Yea I got time to make a 7 layer wedding cake and ginger bread house from scratch working alone and being in charge. If you really want to know how bad this place is.....Im 35 with 2 kids and I walked right out without having another job. First time I ever did that in my entire career. Tossed the keys to the manager and bounced.

Corporate management had no regard for the community management or the seniors once they moved in.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Arvada, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Arvada, CO (US)

Pros

Enriching the lives of the seniors by giving them a better quality of life and having an extended family.

Cons

Corporate Management needs to train Managers and co-managers properly not just in sales but over all operations. The training is just focused on Sales. Getting the move-in.

Go back to the Grass Roots. Please don't forget the residents come first not just tours and move-ins because without the resident being happy you'll have no move-ins.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greedy company with NO respect, NO support, and NO trust for their Community Managers.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY (US)

Pros

Working for 80 and 90 year old residents is VERY rewarding. We stayed with the company longer than we should have because of the residents. They trusted and cared for us as much as we did for them. They are indeed the "Greatest Generation". We very much enjoyed working for and interacting with them.

Company pay and benefits were good.

Cons

ALL Managers are treated the same - they are micro-managed to the hilt! 3 sales conference calls per day and 2 daily written sales reports - even if your community is 100% occupied! As a manager of a multimillion dollar building/business, the Managers cannot order anything over $50 without written approval and at times, this level is dropped to zero. Regional Director was very weak, often allowing regional Chefs, and others to run ruff shot. Lots of egos at the regional level. All Holiday (Fortress Investment Group) is interested is how much money they take from senior citizens. 4 - 5.5% rent increases are given to existing residents EVERY year. Market rates for new residents increase 8 - 10% EVERY year. Meanwhile, yearly pay raises for employees average 2%, and increases to resident services (such as food, activities, etc.) increase 0 - 3%. This is a very shameful company preying on our senior citizens. (NOTE: The work week is 50+ hours AND at least 3 on-call nights per week, which we became accustomed to, and were fine with - but could be a negative to others).

There are NO career opportunities for Community Managers. Jobs are not posted, and I've never seen or heard of a Community Manager being promoted to a regional position.

1. Stop GOUGING our senior citizens. Yes, you should be able to make a fair profit, but you should NOT be able to GOUGE your residents. 2. Treat your best Managers with more respect, support and trust - particularly long term managers who keep your communities full and profitable. These managers are the daily face of your company. They sell and service your customers each day. Treat them better! The constant turnover of GOOD Managers costs the company a LOT of money. It is no wonder the turnover rate for Managers at Holiday Retirement is close to 50% per year! Consider making your better Managers - SENIOR Managers - and give them higher spending limits, more leeway, etc. TRUST THEM!

Holiday reitrement company is unorgainized

Current Employee - Server  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Server in Arlington, TX (US)

Pros

Sense of community, good coworkers

Cons

Managers change often. Poor decisions by former managers

Please try to be more consistent and don't leave after 2 months

This company is a serious waste of anyone's time.

Current Employee - Executive Chef  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Chef in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

The pay is always on time. Sorry but that's about the best thing of this crappie company. If you are a kindergarten teacher or a child care lover this is the company for you to work with.

Cons

No true support teams. This compay repeatedly tell their residents what ever it is that they want them to hear just to trick them into moving into a community and pay that outrageously high community fee. They love hiring kids/teens its almost like babysitting your enemies children but u cant do much about it because the pay is horrible.

Support your managers or this company will always be a revolving door.

Not appreciated

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Nashville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Nashville, TN (US)

Pros

Love elderly people and wanted to make a difference

Cons

My wife and I worked as managers for three years. The only time you felt important is when you assisted the CSL in closing a contract. Wore ourselves out for the company which does not seem to care about the residents. Most residents pay large amounts per
    month and I was not permitted to buy steak for the valentine banquet because it was too expensive. Managers and Sales Leaders are terminated whenever they do not maintain a high census and make a huge monthly profit for the company. We finally left the company because the company was using us to PR for them to the residents (residents loved us) while the company was wanting to treat the residents poorly. Advice to prospective residents - find somewhere else to live.

You have forgot who butters the bread and you are now losing so many good managers and sales leaders that the communities are suffering. Stop the greed before it eats you alive.

Sales Leader

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

Pros

People at the community level. Holiday has some really great and caring people.

Cons

Corporate. Micromanagement is the name of the game. Holiday abandoned it's mission statement and the cornerstones of the company long ago for the all mighty dollar!
    I really love the model that Holiday had in their communities, but they run the risk of losing really great talent with their new company culture. They tie the team up with calls and meetings and unrealistic tour volume and move in expectations but won't look at the big picture.
    They don't value the resident anymore, it's just money. I've seen 3 different CEO's in the short time I've been with Holiday and every change has been worse for the associate and resident. The message now is "do it or you will be held accountable". aka fired
    Regional and corporate need to focus on positive reinforcement and appreciation and value the growth we've had and the team that got them there. Stop being so reactionary and put together a long term strategic plan for continued growth.
    If not, they run the risk of losing all the great talent they have.

Make your employees happy to work for Holiday again. Everyone I know is looking for another job. ... Wake up and smell the unhappiness!

Horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

Pros

Free apt. and free food- thats it. There are NO good things.

Cons

Your complete life is given up. You have no time to travel or to anything or even enjoy the money you make. You are over worked and under paid.Upper management lies to you and to others.. they say whatever to get the sale or employee to do what they want. You think as an employee that what you read about HR is disgruntled employees...then you work for them and you find out it is ALL TRUE and VERY BAD. Horrible company to work for.

Upper management will lie when the truth would be better and people eventually find out what lies they are ... then the company looks even worse.
    Sadly I know you dont care since almost every building makes over a million in profits even after ALL the BILLS ARE PAID.

In sales? Avoid this company like the plague.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

Pros

Holiday Retirement seems to have started out as a great idea. I suppose it can be a good starting place for a persons initial sales job. There is sound sales structure and marketing ideas. The culture within a community can be rewarding. The best part of working at Holiday Retirement is that you have the opportunity to meet some truly amazing and wonderful people. The residence at Holiday Retirement are truly awesome!

Cons

The company supplied laptop is constantly being access remotely and scrutinized by regional management. It is an inside joke that if a Community Sales Leader lasts 6 months that they are considered "old timers". The program that is used is called InTouch, it is a freaking nightmare! Upper management freely admits it yet nothing is done about it nor is there any training on it, at least not during the joke that Holiday Retirement calls training. Yet that same upper management will expect its sales staff ("Community Sales Leaders") to hit the ground running after only a cursory introduction of the program, expectations, and "training". The micromanaging done by Holiday Retirement is an Orwellian nightmare! The only real "perk" is that employees, if they are traveling can stay in a Holiday Retirement guest room...it the management for that particular location is given advance notice. Personal growth...you will be disappointed. Working for Holiday Retirement will NOT allow for any work-life balance, they will tell you that you need to have a life but the demands that are placed on you will never allow balance.

The most honest advice I could give to the management of Holiday Retirement is to ask themselves what they are hoping to accomplish. The current sales culture needs to be looked at. In case you did not realize it, micromanaging never works in the long term. You have to decide what is more important to you, the short or long term. Treat ALL of your employees as professionals instead of liabilities.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!