Holiday Retirement

www.holidaytouch.com
Employer Engaged

A business that needs to realign its focus and return to its grassroots values.

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

I love the opportunities to add value to the life of our seniors. To offer comfort, security, and laughter to their daily existence. Even those that seem to be unlovable have the desire to be loved. A recent vision of upper management change of direction was cast upon us to address the underlying deficiencies with the Holiday Retirement Program for growth and success. As long as these areas are addressed, there is hope for correction of issues at the community level.

Cons

There is far to much emphasis on getting seniors to buy into the vision and completely inadequate resources (staffing, staffing wages, finances, etc.) to keep them there. The wages are of the lowest in the industry and the need to micromanage all managers rather than those failing to fulfill the requirements of their position create undue stress and diminishing hope for managers.

I might shift the percentage of focus to lean towards leadership and the operations side of the industry which will ultimately impact manager retention. Managers are the frontline support of the revenue stream for this company as far as I can see. The stability and longevity of the managers in the communities, I believe will provide the most cost effective source of revenue and support for the investors of Holiday Retirement.
      Raise the lid of leadership with your people and your business will ultimately experience growth.

Co-Manager

Former Employee - Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Co-Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The company had good benefits at the time.

Cons

I did not like the on-site living conditions. Really long hours.

High Stress and Underpaid

Former Employee - Floating Manager
    Former Employee - Floating Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and you can meet some truly amazing seniors. As far as culture and values they don't walk the talk. CEO, Kai, has had some good ideas such as requiring new Regional Directors to work for 2 weeks in a community to get a better understanding of how a community works and the demands on managers but he never seems to be allowed to implement them.

Cons

As a community manager you may expect to put in long hours that include being on-call overnight several nights per week to respond to resident emergencies. There is extreme pressure from upper management to sign up new residents including those who are not appropriate to the community or to retain residents who are disliked by other residents and staff due to belligerent behavior. Also the compensation package includes your "luxury apartment" and in my experience of almost 4 years with the company I've yet to see a manager's apartment that fits anyone's idea of being luxurious. Also the meals you eat in the dining room while on duty are counted as part of your compensation even though the food is usually, though not always, mediocre at best, high in carbohydrates, and low in protein. Executive chefs receive an end of year bonus for saving on the food budget which is a bad idea. They used to bonus on new move-ins which promoted better food and presentation.

Hire a separate staff member for overnight duty or an office assistant for every community. Managers are underpaid and overworked thus the extremely high turnover. Turnover for new hire co-managers is alleged to be 60% within their first 90 days.

Started out as a great job but then became unbearable because of changes

Current Employee - Co Manager
    Current Employee - Co Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed Getting to form relationships with Seniors and learn from all their wisdom. Knowing that you were trying to help seniors have a safe place to live

Cons

The long hours, constantly changing management. Had 5 regional managers in 2 years each with their own style of managing. Unrealistic sales call quotas and way too many conference calls

Please go back to the core values of this company which was the Holiday touch. I saw it disappear in the 2 years I worked there. The emphasis was put on fill the building not keep the resident satisfied.

Do not care about employees

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part about this job is working with seniors. A community becomes like a family and the residents develop a special bond with you.

Cons

There is no room for growth, constant turnover with staff, and the pay is terrible.

Long hours, low pay, little rewards

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you love to work with seniors, this job is great. When co managers are all getting along they become like family. The job is NOT hard, it is one of the easiest I've ever had (I have been mainly in restraint management and now own my own cafe). Day to day is easy and repetitive, the sales prove more difficult. The expectations are clear though.

Cons

The community manager teams don't always get along or work well together. Also the regional management is disorganized and inexperienced. Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers. I talked to three sets (six people) all told me not to take the job. They had varying reasons, but in the end it boiled down to little pay, high expectations, high turnover (people quit are not fired usually) unrealistic goals and disorganization amount upper management. Wish I listened.

Pair community managers together after they have had a chance to meet and make a decision to work together, throwing two very different couples together without ever working together is a BAD idea.

Just...don't

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are coming from a retail environment, the pay will likely be marginally better, as will the hours.

Cons

You will be constantly and consistently under informed, misinformed, or lied to. No one ever seems to know what's coming up next, and no one wants to take responsibility for anything. The company is segmented between sales and operations, but no one seems to concerned that neither can function without the other. An outdated business and marketing model does not help this company, nor does their desire to pinch pennies and prevent communities from spending money to make improvements. The bonus structure is convoluted, but don't worry - it will change every 90 days or so, so it's not as though you have to memorize it. Management spends little to no time in communities, and most of them never worked at lower levels, so they have no concept of what it takes to run a building. Additionally, nearly everyone is misled on expectations for their jobs during the interview process - training is usually a rude awakening for nearly every position when you find out what's ACTUALLY expected of you.

Spend time - several days consecutively - in a community. Learn what your employees encounter on a day-to-day basis. It seems nearly impossible that it won't change the way you manage them.

Miserable, abusive, tone deaf leadership

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The residents and some of the good people who still work there. Time spent in the communities with community managers, community employees and residents was time well spent. Most of the community managers are genuinely good people who are in it for the right reason; serving seniors.

Cons

Dealing with the majority of those in leadership, particularly those at the corporate office was awful. Corporate leadership was disconnected from the realities on the ground, and was completely focused on revenue. People were not valued, and unethical, abusive management practices were rewarded rather than corrected. I personally heard my department head make demeaning statements about many groups of employees, including our live-in managers. Turnover has always been an enormous problem; one that in my years with the company was never effectively addressed. Managers are over-worked and extremely underpaid (it's a travesty). This place burns through people at a record pace; uses them up and then throws them out like so much trash.

Change course now or find yourselves heading off yet another lawsuit. It's inevitable.

Executive Director

Former Employee - Executive Director in Sanford, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Sanford, FL (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The resident's are very friendly.

Cons

I was part of an acquisition and the upper management team didn't know what to do: I felt like I was part of a new start up company. The upper management was not supportive and HR is a joke...one person handling 8 communities. There was no consistency with management decisions and they don't help you succeed in your job. I worked nonstop for 14 months and I was fired for something nonrelated to my job. I hope this was an isolated incident but if you take a job from this company,,,start looking for another. This is a great company to learn mistakes with and move on to a professional environment.

Don't play favorites, if you invest in someone help develop them and give them the tools to succeed. Upper management needs to be more involved in the community level, be objective rather than subjective in your decisions. Value the employees that work hard for you and the company..just don't dispose of them. The nursing management team was superior and did everything they could to make the community successful.Best of luck!!!

Ugh

Former Employee - Server in East Amherst, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Server in East Amherst, NY (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The elderly (well most of them) are great, that's about the only pro

Cons

Extremely high turnover, Extremely unreasonable standards, instead of working like a normal, the model is, you're done when your work is done, which might seem ok, but that doesn't mean you can take your time they have everything times down to the minute, and if you don't make it they go ballistic, the whole place is run on fear. The worst part is mine was considered one of the best in the country, so I shudder to think what the bottom tier is like.

I don't know at this point, you need major restructuring.

Holiday Retirement Response

Dec 05, 2014Human Resources Manager

Thank you for taking care of our residents. That does sound hard. We encourage all employees to talk to their manager and if they can't do that, to call Employee Relations if there is unreasonable ... More

Holiday Retirement Photos