Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Not appreciated

Community Manager (Former Employee) Nashville, TN (US)

ProsLove elderly people and wanted to make a difference

ConsMy wife and I worked as managers for three years. The only time you felt important is when you assisted the CSL in closing a contract. Wore ourselves out for the company which does not seem to care about the residents. Most residents pay large amounts per
    month and I was not permitted to buy steak for the valentine banquet because it was too expensive. Managers and Sales Leaders are terminated whenever they do not maintain a high census and make a huge monthly profit for the company. We finally left the company because the company was using us to PR for them to the residents (residents loved us) while the company was wanting to treat the residents poorly. Advice to prospective residents - find somewhere else to live.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have forgot who butters the bread and you are now losing so many good managers and sales leaders that the communities are suffering. Stop the greed before it eats you alive.

No Holiday Touch

Community Manager (Current Employee) Kawaika-A, AZ (US)

ProsResidents and Associates are wonderful. I have nothing positive to say about the company or corporate. I wish they were the old Holiday prior to the sale in 2007.

ConsRegional Director and Corporate have no people skills. They are very uncaring. Regional Director will not visit long at the community and doesn't pour coffee to residents, unlike the old Holiday. The Regional Maintenance has no respect to residents. Says they have to even carpet clean the resident's apartment even if the resident doesn't want it. Just because they live there, it isn't their building (Holiday's new motto). It's the Regional Directors Building. Even though he doesn't own it or writes the checks. P*ss poor and thoughtless is what they are. They even put people into a a mentor training and two weeks of classroom training, even if you were with the company in the past. Waste of resident's money. They have classroom training every two weeks in three different states. Has to be a clue that they constantly go through management. The regional also interviews you by Skype. They don't have the time to interview you in person. They are 100% Sales and Computers. 0% Residents. No communication skills with Corporate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to the old Holiday Grass Roots. New Holiday garbage sucks to residents and staff.

Make up your mind

Regional Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people both seniors and most of the property level teams

ConsNo consistent message to the field. The company does not allow enough time to see if an idea is successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou claim you hire good people. Stop micromanaging them. The multi times per day updates are verging on harassment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Holiday reitrement company is unorgainized

Server (Current Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsSense of community, good coworkers

ConsManagers change often. Poor decisions by former managers

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease try to be more consistent and don't leave after 2 months

This company is a serious waste of anyone's time.

Executive Chef (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsThe pay is always on time. Sorry but that's about the best thing of this crappie company. If you are a kindergarten teacher or a child care lover this is the company for you to work with.

ConsNo true support teams. This compay repeatedly tell their residents what ever it is that they want them to hear just to trick them into moving into a community and pay that outrageously high community fee. They love hiring kids/teens its almost like babysitting your enemies children but u cant do much about it because the pay is horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your managers or this company will always be a revolving door.

Community Sales Leader

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

ProsWorking with Seniors to make a difference in their lives.

ConsLong Hours, micro managers, company ahead of residents

Advice to Senior Managementwork a week in our position. Get to know the residents and make upper management accountable instead of putting the community managers out to dry.

Horrible company to work for

Community Manager (Former Employee)

ProsFree apt. and free food- thats it. There are NO good things.

ConsYour complete life is given up. You have no time to travel or to anything or even enjoy the money you make. You are over worked and under paid.Upper management lies to you and to others.. they say whatever to get the sale or employee to do what they want. You think as an employee that what you read about HR is disgruntled employees...then you work for them and you find out it is ALL TRUE and VERY BAD. Horrible company to work for.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management will lie when the truth would be better and people eventually find out what lies they are ... then the company looks even worse.
    Sadly I know you dont care since almost every building makes over a million in profits even after ALL the BILLS ARE PAID.

In sales? Avoid this company like the plague.

Community Sales Leader (Former Employee)

ProsHoliday Retirement seems to have started out as a great idea. I suppose it can be a good starting place for a persons initial sales job. There is sound sales structure and marketing ideas. The culture within a community can be rewarding. The best part of working at Holiday Retirement is that you have the opportunity to meet some truly amazing and wonderful people. The residence at Holiday Retirement are truly awesome!

ConsThe company supplied laptop is constantly being access remotely and scrutinized by regional management. It is an inside joke that if a Community Sales Leader lasts 6 months that they are considered "old timers". The program that is used is called InTouch, it is a freaking nightmare! Upper management freely admits it yet nothing is done about it nor is there any training on it, at least not during the joke that Holiday Retirement calls training. Yet that same upper management will expect its sales staff ("Community Sales Leaders") to hit the ground running after only a cursory introduction of the program, expectations, and "training". The micromanaging done by Holiday Retirement is an Orwellian nightmare! The only real "perk" is that employees, if they are traveling can stay in a Holiday Retirement guest room...it the management for that particular location is given advance notice. Personal growth...you will be disappointed. Working for Holiday Retirement will NOT allow for any work-life balance, they will tell you that you need to have a life but the demands that are placed on you will never allow balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe most honest advice I could give to the management of Holiday Retirement is to ask themselves what they are hoping to accomplish. The current sales culture needs to be looked at. In case you did not realize it, micromanaging never works in the long term. You have to decide what is more important to you, the short or long term. Treat ALL of your employees as professionals instead of liabilities.

Don't buy into the fake good reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lake Oswego, OR (US)

ProsResidents. It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years. There are also lots of employees who really care about their jobs.

ConsMicromanagement does not begin to describe the experience. Upper management does not value the contributions of the community-level employees at all. They think Community Managers and especially Co-Managers are stupid fools who weren't able to keep other jobs or homes, or who have failed at running their own businesses, so are too dumb to effectively run a community without being overseen every hour of the day by a whole slew of conference calls. If you have any self-respect at all, you will run far away from here.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of you should just go back to your hotel management jobs. You don't know what it means to show true caring on a long-term basis to seniors. The business would be much more financially successful if you were honest and truthful to prospective residents, if you hired capable people and then trusted them to do their jobs, and if you stopped managing by spreadsheet.

Life Draining

ProsGain experience in Management and Sales

ConsOn call and no life

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about the Residents

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!