Holiday Retirement

Updated 20 November, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 29 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 55 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Just Beat Me

Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The wonderful residents that you just love

Cons

Not enough room! So many conference calls. Feel guilty when you sell an apartment to a senior.
    The regional team is relentless. No love for the seniors or what this industry is about. Just sell sell sell They all need to get a real life outside of the company. BUT< their heart would not know how to love someone outside of money and cut throat ways. They will look at this and laugh, but what is sad is that it is true. There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company. Very sad, because this could be a wonderful company to work for

GO sell graveyards or cars

work the chef to make him leave or just give up

Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Cook in Macon, GA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

chef loved his job but he worked 80 hrs a week with little or no help that is the good the chef loved to cook good food

Cons

chef was told a lot of time he was over his budget he was given 3.75 to feed 3 meals he just cooked food that was good and not what the book said like for breakfast like oatmeal and dry toast that is it he cook eggs bacon and made cinn. rolls for them we saw on days before he got there was maybe 5 or 6 person for brakfast when he got there we had 70 to 75 persons because he cooked real food for them not junk like pre cooked chicken brest that they told him to serve he got 1/4 chicken and bake it to give them i can go on and on the chef was good than one day they fired him and gone back to the b/s food and now we are back at 10 or 12 persons at breakfast

let the chef be a chef and give them a budget they can work with as he said a lot of times to corp. but they fierd him because he gave them good food to eat not crap. as corp. liked to feed them are chef was well liked by all

Nightmare is finally finished

Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Santa Rosa, CA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Personal relationships with residents developed over years. Priceless friendships.

Cons

Can't imagine a more incompetent senior management team from the top down through regionals of every description. Employment laws, federal and state are ignored, violated, mocked. Health and safety of residents and employees are in the policies and proceedures then ignored in the pursuit of profit. Residents are treated like misbehaving children if they complain or ask for anything. Once they sign on they are considered captive property. They are referred to as "revenue units". Holiday does not value employees. They are treated like paper towels. Use them to clean up a mess...toss them out. There is always another desperate prospect waiting to be hired. If you are unemployed, broke, homeless, desperate then this is the job for you. Work until you can escape with some cash.

This section is pointless. Management is accomplishing exactly what they intend to accomplish. Hire employees who are desperate, willing to be abused and easily replaced if they complain or figure out the system. Regional managers rarely last more than a year. They burn out or blow out. For community managers, your goal is to survive your current regional manager. Each time you do that, you potentially get another year.

If there were a zero stars rating this company would get it.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Grants Pass, OR (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having a positive impact on the lives of seniors by helping ease the transition from living at home to living in a retirement community.

Cons

This company has no heart or soul! It chews up and spits out employees at an unbelievable rate and has little regard for the concerns of its residents. If you can get the recruiter to identify the company prior to the second interview - DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT CONTINUE THE INTERVIEW PROCESS. RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Would not waste my breath.

Run the opposite direction as fast as your feet will carry you.

Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Serving and getting close to the residents, which is what drew us to the job initially.

Cons

There is not enough space to name all the cons.. That company is full of cut-throat, harassing people who constantly berate those on the front lines doing the work. More is never enough and regardless of how successful you are, or how loyal, they will send in "teams" whose express assignment is to find something wrong with your management style or your community so they can fire you. I witnessed that procedure numerous times with excellent managers who were very successful..
    The turnover is faster than when you're making pancakes... which is so detrimental to the residents and the communities.

If you manage with ethical fortitude instead of blind greed and disregard for human beings, success will naturally follow.

Growing company with great values

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is making major changes that positively impact the employee and residents. They have surveyed both employees and residents to find ways to make improvements. Some recent positive changes:

1. New senior leadership that is committed to making a positive difference in employee and residents lives.
    2. New rewards and recognition programs that are providing cash and certificates to the front line employees.
    3. Active campaigns to give back to veterans and local communities both in money and volunteer time.
    4. Increased facility improvement budgets.
    5. Pay and benefits are great.
    6. Over the last year communications have improved. We hear a lot more about what is going on in the company.

Additionally, the company is growing, stable, and in the right demographic for the future. If you like connecting with people, love customer service, and are not afraid of hard work the communities are a great place. Holiday is making a difference for thousands of individuals everyday.

Cons

The company like many companies during the recession had to put a larger focus on sales. This is changing as the company now has high occupancy. The community manager and sales roles are hard positions. Those dedicated to the residents will find the rewards, but those in it just for a job will struggle. Many negative reviews are from people who were not successful.

Continue the cultural changes. In the last year there have been a lot of positive changes.

Worst company I ever worked for.

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees and Residents are the best part of this job.

Cons

Micro Management is the name of the game. Your just a number. No bonuses, Expect to do the job and not give you the tools to do them with.

Worst company I've worked for in 30 years--micromanagement at its worst!

Current Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Community Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors. It's a nice product and good value. Good health plan.

Cons

As a sales professional with degrees and years of health care experience, I've never been treated so poorly. You spend 1/4 of the day telling three supervisors the same thing. There are one-on-one coaching calls, reporting calls, a model of selling that sometimes make me feel like I'm in the used car business. Supervisors think they have all the answers. But the bottom line is family and residents make up their mind in their own time, not Holiday time. Difficult to take holidays off when you work in a community. Lots of management turnover and personality issues. Employees are not value and respected even though we all give the best to our residents.

Respect and value your employees. It's good business sense and reducing turnover saves money. Employees feel so little value--even lead community managers and co-managers. Sales leaders are monitored and beaten up on a consistent basis. Many managers are leaving for career with Hawthorne because they feel the old Holiday management run a more effective organization. In my entire 30 year career, I've never worked so many hours for so little pay. Commissions were reduced in company's favor. How are employees ever going to feel valued? The company is nothing without its managers and staff.

long hours

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

love the residents and the loction

Cons

hate the hours and the pay

Never fully staffed made the hours seem unending

Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Co Manager in Memphis, TN (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

We found that working with the seniors was great. There was different things to do different days, not boring.

Cons

Never fully staffed so could barely have any time off. Other managers didn't share the on call duties. Was more of a nursing home, rather than "independent living".

Be sure to get relief managers if there isn't 2 sets of managers to run things. Less meetings, more hands on activities.

Holiday Retirement Photos