Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated 16 April, 2015
467 reviews filtered by

Total disconnect between corporate and communities.

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The residents. Love 'em. If you ever scratch your head and wonder how job satisfaction can be so low and people not quit sooner, residents are why. They can hold back your burn-out.

Cons

Procedures change constantly and everything is a high priority. Expectations are against a misguided sense of reality about how the communities operate. There is an unrelenting sales drive above all else with ever decreasing investment to update communities for the next generation of seniors. This turns the community management positions into a real pressure-cooker with exhaustive hours that few handle for long - high turnover.

Advice to Management

With over 30 years in business I've never seen an operation where I'd have to tell the CEO "It's broke. All of it." First, concentrate on communities with the goal to make (and keep) them THE PLACE to retire. Second, listen and LEARN from the communities. There is no understanding of community operations - even from the regional level. And if the RD's don't get it, then you're hosed at the executive level. If you have to explain to the communities (all too often) how "you get it" - then you don't. Lastly, deeds do not match words. I can respect someone who talks straight - even when we disagree. I have no time to waste on BSers. Why does this have to be learned throughout the home office and the Regionals? Answer? POOR HIRING DECISIONS/DIRECTION. Either get a fresh approach and tackle these things head-on, or be ready for the inevitable negative impact on the company - maybe not now, or tomorrow, but it will come.

Not worth the stress!!!!

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Can work with your spouse. We loved our residents.

Cons

Sometimes working with spouse under duress is not healthy for your marriage. We loved the residents....but upper management made it increasingly impossible to enjoy their Company.
    We had so much to do, and never enough time to get it all done. I worked after hours in the office to keep up most evenings. AND that was after 7 pm.
    timelines were unrealistic and hard to enforce since they made us feel like grouches to our employees whom were trying their best to do their jobs.
    Our last regional manager was the worst ever!!! A real errogant snob, who couldn't care less about the residents. The community management job has always had a swinging door turn around. We worked for 4 years and we saw CMs come and go over and over again and nothing has changed. In our last community residents told us they had 20 managers in 10 years. Ha, they said "GOOD LUCk!!!!
    We lasted 2 years. Then stress burnout!

Advice to Management

WHY do you keep on doing the same thing over and over that is not working

Feb 02, 2015Human Resources Representative

We recognize that our community management positions carry a unique set of challenges. We also believe this role is extremely rewarding for both our residents and associates. Holiday does provide ... More

Current employee

Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The residents and staff and the relationships that are built.

Cons

It's a business. You will build wonderful relationships with the residents but the bottom line is it is a business and you are managing a building they live in.

Advice to Management

Over the time corporate has tried to understand what happens on the community level - don't quit trying.

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Working over a 120 hrs in 2 weeks, low pay scale.

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Grand Junction, CO (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

The retired residents are the best ever.

Cons

Low pay, too many hours, lead managers aren't trained to work as a team, promise to train you but you have to do it on your own time. Want you to volunteer on your days off. Bad structure in upper management. Workers don't respect management in the 3 communities I worked in. Time lines are to tight for workers with little or no appreciation.

Advice to Management

If you are going to work your managers for over 120 in two weeks give better salaries. Hire more sales people per communities so managers can do their jobs.

6. Rewarding but demanding!

Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator
    Current Employee - Enrichment Coordinator

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Residents are great and I am very lucky to work with a great team

Cons

Pay is HORRIFIC embarassing low and managers and comanagers think they run everyone and everything. Hire ignorant uneducated and unexperience. Low pay is why there is such a high turn over. Unless your have 97% capacity (which isn't common) they only give you 32 hours

Advice to Management

Pay your employees a liveable salary and give your enrichment coordinatora 40 hours!!!!! It doesn't matter how many people are in the building to coordinate, decorate, shop, and lead activites. Also consider giving ECs an assistant to help!

It's an incredible time to be at Holiday Retirement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Team culture, opportunity for growth and professional development, rewards and recognition, benefits, supporting employees who support seniors, and growing company culture.

Cons

High level of change as the company evolves. Lots to do!

Advice to Management

Continue to promote transparency and team building.

Welcomed changes on the horizon

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There have been positive strides toward employee satisfaction programs made in the past year. The associates, for the most part, care about their role in serving our seniors.

Cons

Same song and dance as in 99% of the other reviews, middle management is inept.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified middle management who recognize the challenges in the communities and actually offer support instead of pointing the finger when the heat is turned up.

Dec 05, 2014Rewards & Recognition Manager

Thank you for your thoughtful comments. We have leadership development available and we encourage our leadership to take advantage of these programs. We are working to bring additional professional ... More

Don't do it UNLESS you need first time experience AND you are ok with independent only living

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Decent training and no holds barred expenses.

Cons

Unrealistic goals, Wall Street hedge fund mentality, leadership that is not Fortune 500 educated or trained. Very Chinese business model of "turn and burn" employees.

Advice to Management

Get Fortune 500/100 leaders first! Everything comes from above and sets the tone. Then get some real market research on this niche....and like the big players, probably offer all levels not just independent living. If seniors want independent, they stay home!

holidays carpentry work?

I have been working at Holiday Retirement

Pros

no rent or utilities,no life!!!!!!!

Cons

managers are pawns.carpentry work sucks.you mean residence pay $3000 for this. see pictures.rummour is comunity fee is going up because there not making as much PROFIT.ON profit.this place is a joke. don't move here.check out the 45 degree angle! are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

GET LOST just like wallstreet & congress.accounts payable department is made up of 20 year olds & inexperenced college grads.hire some aldults!!!!!!

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Manager

Thank you for sharing a comment. I hope you were able to discuss your grievances with your direct supervisor. You seem very unhappy and that is not what we want for any employee. Our Accounts ... More

Believe everything you read about this company

Current Employee - Sales Leader
    Current Employee - Sales Leader

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good if you are in the right community. Good Salary plus bonus

Cons

Very difficult company to work for with little to no rhyme or reason except sell at all cost. I have worked for holiday for almost 2 years and worked side by side with my bosses sister, both sons, and almost every other member of her family all at different times. Preferential treatment is beyond belief and the company is fully aware.

Advice to Management

Sales leaders have 137% turnover you would think the company would ask why but instead they continue on without making any changes except lowering bonus payouts.

Holiday Retirement Photos