Holiday Retirement

Updated 11 September, 2014
1.8

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 30 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 50 reviews)

• You work long hours and tired by the time your day off hits (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

enrichment coordinator assisted livinf

Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living
    Current Employee - Life Enrichment Coordinator Assisted Living

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

residents, staff almost all working toghether. Quality of life work/Life Balance. Great benes :). all the poeple that say no one cares or listens. Do you do your job. I started a little over a year ago have received employee of month and Service of Exellence award.

Cons

Pay could be better

Just plain bad. Everyday is emotionally exhausted.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very little / just benefits

Cons

Micro managed, threatened, too many conference calls, run down buildings, no support, too many hours, no respect, no praise, consistent change, No decent raises always 2%, it's a burn out job! You have to keep residents no matter what even if they do not belong anymore due to illness. It's all about occupancy and cold calling. Management requires the sales staff to make up numbers and tours and they spend more time on conference calls than getting the job done. Community managers are pressured consistently. Nothing is ever good enough. Just emotionally exhausting.

It does not matter they do not listen and all have huge egos. What they should do is get new upper management and empower the community management. Let them run the business and stop with every little thing needs approval. It's not working. Manage through motivation not threats!!! You have lost some really quality people due to your ignorance.

Just check the turnover rate...enough said...

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Seniors are great..some great staff

Cons

too many to list..its all about the bottom line...MONEY...cuts to shave budget..staff overworked...upper management reaping the benefits..food budget for residents is a joke.

Share the wealth...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you enjoy a consistent beat down and a click-ish, cool kids mentality, join in the fun!

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting seniors and families who truly have a need and helping them to navigate thru the move process.

Cons

Senior leadership is out for themselves. Period. No direction, no training, NO INTEGRITY! Culture is dog eat dog. I'm ALL for making a buck but not at the expense of my integrity or wildly unbalanced work/play ethic. They don't care who goes or stays. It's a turn and burn culture with the mind set that they'll just put someone else in the role if things don't work out. When I started with company I trained with 6 people in my role. Only one of them is left. That was less than a year ago.............

Quite sure they have no interest in my advice..... I tried that once, just before I resigned.

Would not recommend working for Holiday

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Community residents are great. Travel perk is good if you get the time off to get out of town.

Cons

Many community management teams don't get along. Difficult work environment.

Corporate and district management doesn't know what is going on at the regional level. Need to visit dysfunctional regional teams more.

Not impressed.

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

residents are great. love talking with them on a daily basis listening to all their amazing stories.

Cons

Little to no communication between the 2 sets of live in married managers. extremely high turnover rate for management and employees in general. most co-managers last about 3-9 months before resigning. About the same for building managers. Mostly due to the constant pressure from the sales team. It seems as if that is the companies only aim. we just had 5 sets of managers quit in our region in the past 2 weeks!

The Pay for housekeeping,serving, and hourly kitchen staff is so low that you are resorted to hiring staff with little experience and the ones that have experience don't stick around long because of the constant bombardment of micromanagement from regional down to building management

....OH AND GET THIS... whether your an hourly employee or salary you can never get a raise!!! Thats right! What rate You are hired in as is the rate that you stay for your entire employment. The companies response to my complaints is that "we do give out raises....cost of living raises." My cost of living raise last year was .03 cents. WOW. The only exception for this is if you change jobs say from dishwasher to prep cook, then you would possibly get a raise in pay. (There is only 4 positions in the kitchen: cook sous chef dishwasher and sometimes a prep cook) Generally employees are treated as liabilities as apposed to assets for the company.

No Holiday Touch

Current Employee - Community Manager  in  Kawaika-A, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Kawaika-A, AZ (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Residents and Associates are wonderful. I have nothing positive to say about the company or corporate. I wish they were the old Holiday prior to the sale in 2007.

Cons

Regional Director and Corporate have no people skills. They are very uncaring. Regional Director will not visit long at the community and doesn't pour coffee to residents, unlike the old Holiday. The Regional Maintenance has no respect to residents. Says they have to even carpet clean the resident's apartment even if the resident doesn't want it. Just because they live there, it isn't their building (Holiday's new motto). It's the Regional Directors Building. Even though he doesn't own it or writes the checks. P*ss poor and thoughtless is what they are. They even put people into a a mentor training and two weeks of classroom training, even if you were with the company in the past. Waste of resident's money. They have classroom training every two weeks in three different states. Has to be a clue that they constantly go through management. The regional also interviews you by Skype. They don't have the time to interview you in person. They are 100% Sales and Computers. 0% Residents. No communication skills with Corporate.

Go back to the old Holiday Grass Roots. New Holiday garbage sucks to residents and staff.

Absolutely The Worst Senior Living Company in the Country!

Former Employee - Executive Chef
    Former Employee - Executive Chef

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got a pay check. Really that's it.

Cons

65 hour work week mostly by yourself, filthy dated buildings, lousy regional chefs, strict budget, transient managers & co-managers, REIT status,

Clean house and start over. In 2014 your mission should not be to trick seniors into gobbling up sweets and sugar snacks and then serving the same leftovers 4 times in a row with frozen vegetables at every meal.

This companies per person plate cost is $3.93 for 3 full meals. Absurd! That's why they try to bake from scratch and fill these seniors up on snacks and sugar. Because flour and sugar are cheap. Oh and the EGGs! Eggs at every freaking meal. Eggs or Jello salad.The chef recipe data base is a joke, regional chefs are old school slop cooks from the 80's, you are micromanaged to death down to your food order, you do your own laundry, clean employee break rooms and scrub all pots and pans even as executive chef. Servers are also housekeeping so they just served you your eggs bennies then they go scrub your toilet and come back and hand you a sandwich. This is by far the worst culinary operation model I have ever seen. I can't believe I ruined my career by working here. I should have stayed where I was but I thought this place was legit. Buildings are dated, smell like urine and are filled with negative staff because everyone is managed by fear. The regional chef in my area is a dirtball of a human being. Screaming at me about the budget after one week on the job. Telling me to serve same leftovers 4 days in a row. Somebody call 60 minutes on them please. I don't even believe the top level directors even exist. I think one person runs all of their outlook accounts. So many scams as listed on here by others and they are all true. Yea I got time to make a 7 layer wedding cake and ginger bread house from scratch working alone and being in charge. If you really want to know how bad this place is.....Im 35 with 2 kids and I walked right out without having another job. First time I ever did that in my entire career. Tossed the keys to the manager and bounced.

Corporate management had no regard for the community management or the seniors once they moved in.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  Arvada, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in Arvada, CO (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Enriching the lives of the seniors by giving them a better quality of life and having an extended family.

Cons

Corporate Management needs to train Managers and co-managers properly not just in sales but over all operations. The training is just focused on Sales. Getting the move-in.

Go back to the Grass Roots. Please don't forget the residents come first not just tours and move-ins because without the resident being happy you'll have no move-ins.

Greedy company with NO respect, NO support, and NO trust for their Community Managers.

Former Employee - Community Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working for 80 and 90 year old residents is VERY rewarding. We stayed with the company longer than we should have because of the residents. They trusted and cared for us as much as we did for them. They are indeed the "Greatest Generation". We very much enjoyed working for and interacting with them.

Company pay and benefits were good.

Cons

ALL Managers are treated the same - they are micro-managed to the hilt! 3 sales conference calls per day and 2 daily written sales reports - even if your community is 100% occupied! As a manager of a multimillion dollar building/business, the Managers cannot order anything over $50 without written approval and at times, this level is dropped to zero. Regional Director was very weak, often allowing regional Chefs, and others to run ruff shot. Lots of egos at the regional level. All Holiday (Fortress Investment Group) is interested is how much money they take from senior citizens. 4 - 5.5% rent increases are given to existing residents EVERY year. Market rates for new residents increase 8 - 10% EVERY year. Meanwhile, yearly pay raises for employees average 2%, and increases to resident services (such as food, activities, etc.) increase 0 - 3%. This is a very shameful company preying on our senior citizens. (NOTE: The work week is 50+ hours AND at least 3 on-call nights per week, which we became accustomed to, and were fine with - but could be a negative to others).

There are NO career opportunities for Community Managers. Jobs are not posted, and I've never seen or heard of a Community Manager being promoted to a regional position.

1. Stop GOUGING our senior citizens. Yes, you should be able to make a fair profit, but you should NOT be able to GOUGE your residents. 2. Treat your best Managers with more respect, support and trust - particularly long term managers who keep your communities full and profitable. These managers are the daily face of your company. They sell and service your customers each day. Treat them better! The constant turnover of GOOD Managers costs the company a LOT of money. It is no wonder the turnover rate for Managers at Holiday Retirement is close to 50% per year! Consider making your better Managers - SENIOR Managers - and give them higher spending limits, more leeway, etc. TRUST THEM!

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!