Holiday Retirement

Updated 27 September, 2014
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 26 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals (in 54 reviews)

• The community managers don't seem to want to work as a team; very dictatorial (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

New to the Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lake Oswego, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

The orientation training was well thought out.
    Leadership staff has been responsive to my questions. Most of the leaders are strong. People are being recognized for bringing up new ideas.
    The company has been adding new programs that are designed to support employees.

Cons

There is a lot of positive change so you will be happier if you are a person that can handle change.

Would not recommend working for Holiday

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Community residents are great. Travel perk is good if you get the time off to get out of town.

Cons

Many community management teams don't get along. Difficult work environment.

Corporate and district management doesn't know what is going on at the regional level. Need to visit dysfunctional regional teams more.

Micromanaged on Steroids

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

The food, facilities and activity programming were significantly above norm for the area. This helped to generate leads and made the sales process easier.

Cons

Constant conference calls with regional staff to verbally report what was already logged into the sales software. Sales strategy of immediate and constant contact with leads helped to close some sales but created much ill will with potential residents who weren't looking for an immediate need to relocate.

The company has gotten away from the mission and forgotten what business they are in.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Conflicted Management

Current Employee - Community Bus Driver
    Current Employee - Community Bus Driver

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time for less than a year

Pros

The clients are wonderful, and have great stories to tell.

Cons

Management has very little people skills.

Clients are the number one priority. They pay your salary. Pay attention to them.

They say one thing and do another

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love working with seniors and problem solving with them. Great people at the community to work with.

Cons

Company expects too much from on-site management teams and runs them down. There was such high turn over of management that residents were unhappy and always wanted to know what was going on. Upper management micromanaged onsite team to the point of discouragement and fear of jobs.

Empower your employees with positive things instead of fear. Micromanagement causes self doubt and lack of confidence. "Holiday Touch" just seems to be something you say and not something you really mean, especially to the residents. Its all about the almighty dollar and not the residents.

When the Colson's sold the company to Fortress, the "holiday touch" to residents and employees vanished like the wind.

Former Employee - Executive Chef  in  Lansing, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Chef in Lansing, MI (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, bonding with residents and families

Cons

Being a salaried employee they expect you to work whatever hours it takes, no recognition from company or on site management. On site managers to busy trying to fire the next staff member. I worked for Holiday for 13 years and got the boot because no manager had guts to stab my front...they chose my back...

Stop bringing in on site managers that have no clue how to manage a community nor the staff within it. Hire people with skills and people skills

Not impressed.

Current Employee - Executive Chef
    Current Employee - Executive Chef

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Pros

residents are great. love talking with them on a daily basis listening to all their amazing stories.

Cons

Little to no communication between the 2 sets of live in married managers. extremely high turnover rate for management and employees in general. most co-managers last about 3-9 months before resigning. About the same for building managers. Mostly due to the constant pressure from the sales team. It seems as if that is the companies only aim. we just had 5 sets of managers quit in our region in the past 2 weeks!

The Pay for housekeeping,serving, and hourly kitchen staff is so low that you are resorted to hiring staff with little experience and the ones that have experience don't stick around long because of the constant bombardment of micromanagement from regional down to building management

....OH AND GET THIS... whether your an hourly employee or salary you can never get a raise!!! Thats right! What rate You are hired in as is the rate that you stay for your entire employment. The companies response to my complaints is that "we do give out raises....cost of living raises." My cost of living raise last year was .03 cents. WOW. The only exception for this is if you change jobs say from dishwasher to prep cook, then you would possibly get a raise in pay. (There is only 4 positions in the kitchen: cook sous chef dishwasher and sometimes a prep cook) Generally employees are treated as liabilities as apposed to assets for the company.

Just plain bad. Everyday is emotionally exhausted.

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very little / just benefits

Cons

Micro managed, threatened, too many conference calls, run down buildings, no support, too many hours, no respect, no praise, consistent change, No decent raises always 2%, it's a burn out job! You have to keep residents no matter what even if they do not belong anymore due to illness. It's all about occupancy and cold calling. Management requires the sales staff to make up numbers and tours and they spend more time on conference calls than getting the job done. Community managers are pressured consistently. Nothing is ever good enough. Just emotionally exhausting.

It does not matter they do not listen and all have huge egos. What they should do is get new upper management and empower the community management. Let them run the business and stop with every little thing needs approval. It's not working. Manage through motivation not threats!!! You have lost some really quality people due to your ignorance.

Just check the turnover rate...enough said...

I worked at Holiday Retirement

Pros

Seniors are great..some great staff

Cons

too many to list..its all about the bottom line...MONEY...cuts to shave budget..staff overworked...upper management reaping the benefits..food budget for residents is a joke.

Share the wealth...

If you enjoy a consistent beat down and a click-ish, cool kids mentality, join in the fun!

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting seniors and families who truly have a need and helping them to navigate thru the move process.

Cons

Senior leadership is out for themselves. Period. No direction, no training, NO INTEGRITY! Culture is dog eat dog. I'm ALL for making a buck but not at the expense of my integrity or wildly unbalanced work/play ethic. They don't care who goes or stays. It's a turn and burn culture with the mind set that they'll just put someone else in the role if things don't work out. When I started with company I trained with 6 people in my role. Only one of them is left. That was less than a year ago.............

Quite sure they have no interest in my advice..... I tried that once, just before I resigned.

Holiday Retirement Photos

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!