Holiday Retirement

Updated 30 January, 2015
1.9

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao
Kai Hsiao

Pros
  • I love the community and what it offers our residents and love working with seniors (in 34 reviews)

• It's great to be able to in some small way make a difference in the lives of people in their later years (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no respect for the upper management or trainers of the company (in 57 reviews)

• Before I took the job I was encourage to talk to present community managers (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Micromanagement to a new level

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Housing and food is supplied so you have low debt which allows you to save money. The work is rewarding working with Seniors. It is exciting to see what an impact we have on their lives to help them have a better quality of life. They also offer an above average the plan and are self insured.

Cons

Managers are not allowed to manage. Every move made and dollar spent has to be approved by several levels of management. Everything in the company is micro managed to the max. Money is the bottom line and all that is cared about. The Seniors come here for a new lifestyle and hope to stay until the end. This very rarely happens due to greed of massive yearly rent increase and multiple fees being added all the time.
    Even though health insurance is provided and part is paid by the company, the prescription drug coverage and company that is used to manage it is a very poor disorganized company. We have not received our medication in time several times which has cause some health issues.
    Very few opportunities for advancement if you are not on the sales side of the business.
    They layoff employees as soon as they have gotten what the need from them.
    Burn out level is high and the Companies own report of turnover rate for managers is 67%.

Let the Managers manage their property
    Put more focus on retaining residents
    Partner with groups to help residents that need assistance rather than just move them on
    Pay the managers a decent salary for the hours that are worked
    Have floating couples so teams can take vacations without work the other team OT.

Not sure any of these things will be take. Into consideration. I believe the company is headed down a path of no return. Residents stay because of the managers, not the company!

Enjoyed the work, disliked the regional management.

Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Community Sales Leader in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Loved getting to know the residents in the communities. Work with their families. Great work satisfaction helping solve family issues by providing a safe place for their loved one to live.
    Fun working environment being surrounded by the residents.
    Between the salaries and bonuses, nice pay check when they would calculate properly.

Cons

It seemed as if management was always in a panic mode. Even being a top producer did not matter to the team management. They were always moving the sales staff around to various communities. Too many meetings. Let the team do their work!

Stop making so many last minute changes with your community leaders!
    Micro manage a little less!

Fortress arrived and the corporate culture morphed from the 'Holiday Touch'' to all bottom-line.

Former Employee - Community Manager in New England (Jamaica)
    Former Employee - Community Manager in New England (Jamaica)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Living with and learning from the residents many of whom are indeed "the greatest generation".

Cons

Trying to be an effective buffer between disillusioned staff and residents and the total ineptitude of upper management.

Make a greater effort to keep residents happy and satisfied. Remember they continue to be the most effective marketing vehicle.

stretching people to thin

Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper
    Current Employee - Server/Housekeeper

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

i like working there because of the residents without them i would have quit by now

Cons

they expect way to much of their employees,the combination of serving and housekeeping is just to demanding it is not possible to do a good job for one or the other it is to stressful and the residents are the ones sufferring they need to seperate jobs so that things would run more smoothly and efficiently it is probably the most stressfull job I have ever had and I like to do my work to the best of my ability and its not possible here.

make these two seperate jobs and there wouldnt be such a big turnover or such high stress the girls I work with bust there butts and we still come up short you can do both jobs and do them well.

Community Sales Leader

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The company allows the seniors to live as independently as possible. If the building has a lower census then you can negotiate the cost of the apartment.
    Better Closing Opportunities!

Cons

The demands of the business require long hours and high levels of stress because most people don't communicate with each other or flat out disregard the needs of the business. The management teams and sales leaders rarely get along. The position is extreemly micromanaged, demanding and most valued employees are gone by choice.
    Expect a high turn over in most departments.

I will pray for you and the seniors in the community.

Do not visit this facility

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lakewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Lakewood, CO (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents it a shame they are treated the way they are buy the management employees

Cons

Main Employees are rude awful to the resident their meal are awful its such a shame to have to surround your self by awful people if they could find better people to run that facility it would be a better place for the residents and employees

If you don't like you're job look for another career

Crazy

Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The resident are great and kind

Cons

No regard for those who work in the trenches

Wake Up!

Community Manager

Current Employee - Community Manager in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, fair pay when you consider all the benefits, free meals, apartment, ect...

Cons

The upper management is completely clueless. Extremely long hours. Worked every holiday. Had absolutely no life outside of Holiday. They view community managers as disposable.

Replace the upper management and value your employees. Feed your residents on more than a $3 budget per person per day.

Manager with a Resident Mom

Current Employee - Floating Manager
    Current Employee - Floating Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

As co manager & floating manager in about 30 Holiday units over a 15 year period, I am proud to say Holiday has been very good to us. We have full benefits, no traffic jams, are well fed and housed with wonderful staff & residents wherever we go, even on vacation in our units across the US. When mom became a resident, I learned the family and resident side of the story, and must say mom has thrived. Health, social life, and financially, Holiday has bent over backwards to make her life comfortable. She says "I never dreamed I could be living this well at 96." Most of our residents are quite happy and thankful.

Cons

Management teams who micro manage and don't follow the Holiday guidelines. Some residents are very needy & management is so pressured to rent apartments, many come needing more care than we are legally allowed to give them. Need to clarify those concerns when doing discovery.

Too many power struggles between managers & co-managers. Need smart pairing of management teams. Peace & joy in the building is the main goal and management must get along better....maybe people skill classes..
    Quarterly mandatory training for servers who work weekends & evenings would maximize efficiency and avoid unfinished tasks & working past end of shift.

HOME OFFICE HELL !!!!

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, work from home one day a week, casual work environment

Cons

Restructure going on. Many lay offs and it seems as though the majority of the ones let go are the older workers. Over 40. The ones with work ethics and real skills. One lady was walked out of the building on a walker. She had been here 12 years and she never missed days or caused problems, she just did her job and was loved in the department. If you are young , good looking and have minimal skills then you are safe. They transfer people from a Community Mgr role (who did a horrible job) and put them into a Sr Manager role and he is the last person to arrive in the office, and the first person to leave and he has been out more than 4 weeks either sick or vacation. All he talks about is vacation. Two weeks vacation a year until 5 yrs does not apply to him He talks down to his staff, reminding them that they are not to speak up in meetings as he is the boss. Unfortunately he does not do his job and he has to ask his staff about the processes so that he can present the info to the RD's. If you are friends with CHRO you are in good. If not, they can walk up to you at any point and let you go. Not exactly motivating to think it might be you getting the ax next. Many people looking to leave. This is not a great company and based on what is going on now, I do not have any hope that things will get better.

Give the "Holiday Touch" to the home office employees. The people in the field think we have it great, we do not. Make good hiring decisions based on skill and not because you like the person. Dont lay someone off and then replace them with temps or someone younger. That is just wrong.

Holiday Retirement Photos