Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 22 reviews
  • "You think you can really make a difference, problem is upper management won't allow it"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 42 reviews
  • "New inquiries will suffer and not get the attention needed to convert to move-ins"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Run run run as fast as you can!

Community Manager (Former Employee)
Saginaw, MI (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with seniors can be very rewarding

ConsVery little training, very long hours, HR hires anyone, Company talks about the Holiday touch but has no concept of what it means to care for a senior community.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many layers of management that are poorly trained and constantly badgered by upper level management. Work on reducing turnover and appreciate your community managers.

Community Sales Leader

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsNo Pros bad company to work for does not care about employees or helping them succeed only cares about numbers

ConsHave to meet sales goals every month otherwise they put you on an action plan and get rid of you

Shuffle the Deck Strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy company to get hired into. Failures from other companies in the industry can find some new life here. Very few good people but they hide in the shadows to keep getting paid. Cowardly.

ConsEvery 6 months the VP's and Regionals SHUFFLE the Community and Sales Management deck to hide their lack of leadership. Change a few managers around.....change a few sales people around.... fire a few here and hire a couple their and the Regional/VP management has a few more months of excuses. To clarify this point.....this is not gradual.....it happens all at once and right before the execs are going to be exposed. The WEST is the WORST! Just read the rest of the reviews. Its not disgruntled people, its PANDEMIC.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe other companies are watching you, to keep you away from the rest of us. The longer you are with Holiday and the more rank you gain means the least the rest of the industry wants you. I moved on to a legitimate organization.

Deathtrap

Co Manager (Current Employee)
Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent Pay and benefits. Housing.

ConsNo idea how to manage personnel or clients. Lied to customers to get them to move in. Lied to staff about expectations and goals. Stole from employees. Hide sanitation issues from residents. Plumbing and fire sprinklers didn't work. Security guards have no hiring standards, and sexually harassed employees. Building is a wreck. Upper management told us not to worry about residents who were showing signs of advanced dementia. Told us it wasn't our job to contact social services. No actual air vent in managers office. Terrible staff apartments.

Advice to Senior Managementsell your stock

A company run by morally bankrupted trustfund children

Middle Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

Prosnice to be gone from there before I lost my moral compass

ConsCompany micro-managed and controlled by children running Fortress Investment Group in NYC. Have no concept of elder care or are even interested in keeping this company going for the long term. All about closing the deal and moving on to the next big thing. Ultimate goal is to strip out all the assets and sell out. Anyone objecting to their tactics are shown to the door. Expect Bill Colson who started the company is rolling over in his grave.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo something else for a living. Preferably something that doesn't involve dealing with human beings.

Horrible Management Practices

Regional Sales Leader (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with Seniors, enjoying their stories, and helping them extend their lives in a meaningful way. There are good people that want to work with the seniors working here.

ConsHorrible management from the top of this organization. They don't care about their employees. There is constant stress that makes you feel like your job could end at any time.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like they are part of the process and not just a person you have to pay.

If you like working under great pressure, very high risk, and an average pay of $3 per hour this is the place for you.

Community Manager (Former Employee)
Lexington-Fayette, KY (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsMost people say working with the residents and I do agree this has much gratification but I liked working with my spouse in a setting where the couple has much to offer the residents.

ConsWorking at Holiday requires a "Manager, Ha Ha" to work 14 hour days, work for FREE on your off days, be proficient at cleaning up blood, feces and urine daily, be willing to be up all night for "emergencies such as I dropped the TV remote and now I can't reach it. You will find dead bodies on a regular basis, and naked people in the hallways is a common site. You will serve 30 pots of coffee for 6 hours a day, call the same 50 people everyday to beg them to move into your Gracious Living Community while they are threatening you with your life if you ever call them again. The shuttle bus is always broke down. There's no money to buy shampoo for the carpet cleaner but plenty of stamps for marketing. Real men will eat quiche 3 times a week for supper. You will know every policeman/fireman/rescue worker and EMT on a first name basis. Your regional supervisors will threaten you daily or fire you weekly. The meals included in your compensation package are a joke because they run out of food before its your turn to eat. The luxury apartment offered as compensation is a 540 sq. ft. apartment that rents for $400 per month down the street, and then you get to rent a $400 per month apartment to a trusting senior for only $3300 per month. Congratulations are in order if you last 6 months. You out lasted 95% of the other deceived hard working honest couples in your training class... and I can go on and on and on and on and on..........

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to keep you REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) designation have your superiors stop telling Holiday "management" employees to "never pick up residents off of the floor because you know we are independent living and all the while smiling and winking at them." Meaning, you know each case is different so you have to decide who to pick up and who not to pick up, because we can't have a firetruck and ambulance outside the front door all day long! We must protect the REIT at all cost because we don't want to pay all of them taxes. (Actually taught at training and by the on-site training managers, yep that's right.)

Built-in Conflict

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

ProsGetting to work with young people at the beginning of their business experience and with wonderful people who have contributed to their families, churches and communities.

ConsEverything else. Regional directors lie and give orders contradicting orders given by District leadership. Regional leaders hold managers responsible for the failures of previous managers. Commission and bonus plans constantly change to the detriment of the community management/sales level employee. Managers and sales teams are not in the same line of authority so sales people can function indecently of managers with no consequence. Managers are disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Be creative in marketing. Recognize there are market differences. Tell the truth.

Someone at some level of this company needs to start managing people

Co Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsCo Manager position is rewarding with no stress

ConsExtremely frustrating as all lead managers we have met and or worked with are arrogant, lazy and have no business experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in to the communities unannounced. Spend several evenings and on site - not in a hotel. Eventually the lack of management in the communities should become apparent. When you see a lead manager sit through a meal and not deliver the Holiday Touch - it is not because you are there - it is because that is what they do day after day after day. Have round tables with employees and ensure they feel comfortable that you truly want feedback from them. Check out Kronos when you see that your leads are off for 4, 5, 6, 7... 10 days - did they actually log vacation time The time stolen from the company is atrocious. RD's manage the leads... they need it desperately and home office - allow RDs to fire people. Coach the managers and maybe some day they will learn how to be managers...

Working with Seniors is the best part of my job

Enrichment Coordinator (Current Employee)
Farmington, CT (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe residents and there families are what keep me going! I love the ability to get creative and provide the best enrichment program that I can. I enjoy working with the team within the community.

ConsMake up your mind- one day you want us to focus on "X" and then the next day they want us to focus on "Q" with us always changing gears we can never build momentum.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the community team to know what they are doing and stop hounding them for one more tour or move-in. Have more focus on positive than negative.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 316 reviews are posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.