Holiday Retirement

Holiday Retirement Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

Holiday Retirement President & CEO Kai Hsiao

Kai Hsiao

Pros:
  • "Working with Seniors to make a difference in their lives"
    in 22 reviews
  • "You think you can really make a difference, problem is upper management won't allow it"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Read this upper management do something about your power hungry regionals"
    in 42 reviews
  • "New inquiries will suffer and not get the attention needed to convert to move-ins"
    in 24 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Extremely overworked.

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsApartment and meals furnished and the bonuses were good once but I think they have scaled down a lot. Residents are great.

ConsYou have to do your job and the job of whomever quits or does not show up, servers, housekeepers, kitchen staff or maintenance. Upper management schedules events weekly, Thursday - Sunday, which interferes with each management teams days off. Gradually, you get less and less time off and then they have the nerve to act like they didn't realize it. Our job description changed drastically in 2 years as they added more and more marketing, meetings and reporting. We were left to run our building by ourselves for 6 weeks with no time off while they hired and trained a couple with no monetary compensation as managers are salaried. Required to answer residents emergency calls all night and let residents and their guests in the building after 9:00 p.m. You get very little time for yourself. When the residents begin to realize how the company is treating them, they begin to complain. (Cheap tasteless food, rental increases, letting repairs go for months, sometimes years.). If you like to be micromanaged, this is the place for you!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou know what you need to do to make Holiday Retirement a great place to work, so do it!

Very rewarding when having opportunity to get to know your residents

Manager (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeing able to live where you work. Apartments & utilites, cable included with salary along with 3 meals a day. Leasing bonuses are better than some companies.Some managers work well together despite occassional conflict. The residents deserve the "Holiday Touch" 100% of the time.They are wonderful seniors that call us "family" Benefits package is amazing!

ConsAnywhere from 9-14 hr days. Managers have to fill positons such as Housekeeping, Maintenance, and kitchen help when needed when an associate calls off their shift & doesn't find a replacement. It can take a toil on you physically & emotionally.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what managers bring to your attention. Empathize & not criticize. Support the Managers that work hard to keep the residents healthy & happy. Everyone needs to feel they are making a positive contribution to what they believe in. We need to hear we're doing a great job & that never happens. Y

Very large corporation with a declining culture. Very educational experience.

Co-Manager (Former Employee)
East Renton Highlands, WA (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsThe elderly are a wonderful mission and a pleasure to serve.

ConsThe corporation as a whole has lost touch with people on the ground, not supportive of management. Too money driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your managers and support their efforts.

Was great but now terrible

Management Team (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPros have dwindled down to nothing. What used to be a great company has turned into a dog eat dog world.

ConsToxic culture, micromanaging, people don't matter, lousy incentive programs, bonus decrease, no wage increases, incompetent regional non-leaders, terrible sales program, total lack of training and more. Turnover in all areas is off the charts.

Advice to Senior ManagementRedirect your thinking and don't let sales guide your future

Gracious Rrrrrunning Around Like Crazy

Sous Chef (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsCompetitive pay, consistent schedule, paid Holidays. The job of Sous chef and Pm Cook for Holiday Retirement is a good step in the right direction for an up and coming culinarian. Plenty of time to learn mixed with the pressures of a deadline. The Employee is provided with recipes and consistent meals and is given enough freedoms to expand ones culinary experience ones heart desires.

ConsThe benefits provided do not start until six months employment. If the employee opts-in to the provided benefits package, one should expect at least a third of a paycheck to be removed. The job requirements are tedious and extensive, one should expect to be running around from the moment he/she walks in the door, to the moment the clock stops. With little to no recognition of ones hard work. After each service, which time line is closely monitored by management, the cook is to serve coffee to the residents... At which time one should expect at least 3 negative comments, and a slew of " well my mother never made it like that." comments.
Overall not a pleasant experience.

Run run run as fast as you can!

Community Manager (Former Employee)
Saginaw, MI (US)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with seniors can be very rewarding

ConsVery little training, very long hours, HR hires anyone, Company talks about the Holiday touch but has no concept of what it means to care for a senior community.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many layers of management that are poorly trained and constantly badgered by upper level management. Work on reducing turnover and appreciate your community managers.

Server

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement

ProsI loved the residents, they were amazing to interact with, even if it was only during meals. And the job itself was not hard, and minimum wage was actually a very reasonable pay. I am actually trying to apply there again for the same position now that there are different managers there.

ConsThe managers, at the time, were very biased and gave some servers more shifts than others. They also would get into me if I didn't wipe down the tables fast enough even though I was pushing really hard

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the servers are going I be on time, don't get on their butts for no realistic reason.

Lead Manager

Lead Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with the residents for maybe 5 minutes a day. Good associates.

ConsSince November 2013 the RD has been by far the most demeaning, bullying and has a God complex. Sales, sales, sales is all important. This week I have been told by residents that we never see the managers. Well, when all you can do is sales, that leaves no time for the residents. At the beginning of some of that MANY DAILY phone calls they ask for holiday touch stories. What a joke, that is the farthest from their mind. They figure since you gave up everything to take a managers position including your home, they have over a barrel. There is no respect, only more demanding. Our co's gave notice and they are wonderful caring people that cannot take the demands of the RD. I have feeling we are not far behind them. And don't get me started about the micro-managing...................... If by chance we are still working for Holiday I see cameras coming into the office to keep an eye on us......................

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company to someone that will really make a difference to seniors.

Community Sales Leader

Community Sales Leader (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time for less than a year

ProsNo Pros bad company to work for does not care about employees or helping them succeed only cares about numbers

ConsHave to meet sales goals every month otherwise they put you on an action plan and get rid of you

Shuffle the Deck Strategy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time for more than 3 years

ProsEasy company to get hired into. Failures from other companies in the industry can find some new life here. Very few good people but they hide in the shadows to keep getting paid. Cowardly.

ConsEvery 6 months the VP's and Regionals SHUFFLE the Community and Sales Management deck to hide their lack of leadership. Change a few managers around.....change a few sales people around.... fire a few here and hire a couple their and the Regional/VP management has a few more months of excuses. To clarify this point.....this is not gradual.....it happens all at once and right before the execs are going to be exposed. The WEST is the WORST! Just read the rest of the reviews. Its not disgruntled people, its PANDEMIC.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe other companies are watching you, to keep you away from the rest of us. The longer you are with Holiday and the more rank you gain means the least the rest of the industry wants you. I moved on to a legitimate organization.

Worked for Holiday Retirement? Contribute to the Community!

Holiday Retirement Videos

Holiday Retirement – Why Work for Us?

​​A pioneer then, a leader now​​ When we founded Holiday Retirement in 1971, we set out to create an independent retirement lifestyle unlike anything seniors had ever experienced before -- cheerful communities filled… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Retirement reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Holiday Retirement CEO Kai Hsiao. All 323 reviews are posted anonymously by Holiday Retirement employees.