Hobby Lobby

Updated 19 December, 2014
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good on the surface

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

-The store is closed on Sundays so you can generally plan on not coming in that day although sometimes there are shifts available on Sundays for inventory and special projects
    -The pay when I worked there was about 50 cents above minimum wage

Cons

-Management kept me at 33 hours per week to avoid promoting me to full time which would have nearly doubled my pay and offered me health care
    -Management in general is incompetent, egotistical, and lazy
    -You are discouraged from taking your full (legally required) break time
    -Tiny infractions can lead to write ups or termination

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Department Head in Queensbury, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Queensbury, NY (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (less than an year)

Pros

store hours and closed Sunday's

Cons

I have no cons to post

Thank You!

Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Huber Heights, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Huber Heights, OH (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I'm proud to say I work For Hobby Lobby, a Christian company that stands up for their beliefs. Hobby Lobby not only shows appreciation to their customers, but to their employees as well. Being off on Sundays in huge pro!

Cons

working the Sunday before Christmas.

A big company that cares.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The hiring process is very easy and straightforward. Training can feel overwhelming because inventory is not in a computer system. It is very old school and you must commit products (and sometimes prices) to memory, but there isn't very much that is difficult about working for Hobby Lobby after the first few months of settling in. The company treats their employees very well compared to other retail chains. Full-time employees with a few years under their belt may find themselves making a surprising amount of money.

Cons

Employees are required to work every other Saturday. This shift is 12 hours if not more and is non-negotiable. If you need a Saturday off and it is one that you were supposed to work, you will have to switch shifts with another employee. During Christmas it is possible that you will have to work every single Saturday, alternating between opening and closing shifts. If the store is open on a Holiday you are more than likely going to be working if you are a part-time employee. Expect to work long shifts and invest in good shoes because you will be on your feel actually working the entire time. All employees need a general knowledge of every part of the store. People working in departments are often called up front to work registers when lines get too long and when things are slow cashiers are asked to work in departments or in the warehouse unpacking inventory. Don't even be mad about the no phone policy because you won't have time to look at it. Managers make a fair amount of money but when you consider the amount of hours but in the salary doesn't really match up. You're better off on an hourly wage at Hobby Lobby.

Train your managers the proper way to schedule employees. Shifts don't make sense and too many times there are too many people scheduled during the day shift but multiple departments are left closing without an employee in them causing strain on the rest of the staff scheduled for the night. This is particularly troublesome during the holidays.

Good company

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Fast paced work,changes daily,good coworkers,good insurance,very fair pay/vacation/pto time.has a lot of customer interactions.

Cons

Long hours,not much life balance, short lunch breaks (30 min.) lot of turnover in managers, so the rules are always changing

Good company if you are in the right department

Current Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Great pay, great 401k plan, great benefits, PTO AND vacation, store discount, growing company so if you are in the right department upward mobility is available, Christmas "thank you" check, most of the time transferring laterally easy, and I love having access to the employee health clinic in OKC without having to pay a copay or for tests done there. Overtime is great when it is offered.

Cons

Some departments have bad management just like everywhere else, very old school. Just remember you are going to get bad apples in every group and sometimes it takes a while to find a good fit there.

Love your people and they will work for you.

Overall Good Company

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good paying retail job
    Closed on Sundays
    Closed on Holidays
    Good to employees
    Family Oriented

Cons

Not much room for advancement

Good for retail

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Hours of operation and Sundays off. Pretty good work environment..

Cons

Hate the Christian music that is forced upon us amd their opinion on women's health

Get a handle on how much the company wastes

HL

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Hard work and pay is better than most retail work.

Cons

Be careful of Upper Management, Managers and co-Manager.... Do as I say and not as I do. Somewhat bullies and walk on water.

An ok first job

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay is great, get Sundays off and can get Holidays off. The days you do work holidays you get paid extra.

Cons

They'd never really have a general time of when we'd get out for closing. Sometimes it'd be within an hour after closing sometimes we'd be there until 11:30 at night. Many workers are put on part time but work the same hours as full time workers. Lunch breaks were a bit of an issue; some people would take extended lunch breaks and some people wouldn't get any at all because no one would cover for them, so they'd have to work for that 30 minutes without pay.

Hobby Lobby Photos