Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated 29 August, 2014

2.5

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 56 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Built and opened a new store with over 60 people with the expectation of being hired full-time (in 42 reviews)

• When I was there, being part-time wasn't an issue, which has since changed (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good on the surface

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

-The store is closed on Sundays so you can generally plan on not coming in that day although sometimes there are shifts available on Sundays for inventory and special projects
    -The pay when I worked there was about 50 cents above minimum wage

Cons

-Management kept me at 33 hours per week to avoid promoting me to full time which would have nearly doubled my pay and offered me health care
    -Management in general is incompetent, egotistical, and lazy
    -You are discouraged from taking your full (legally required) break time
    -Tiny infractions can lead to write ups or termination

Great place to work! Really enjoyed the atmosphere and managment worked great with my schedule. Positive experience!

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tulsa, OK (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Family environment and management was great to work with. Room for growth if willing to work hard and be a dedicated employee.

Cons

In my experience I did not have any cons. Everything was a very positive experience and would highly recommend.

A little company inside of a big company

Former Employee - Store Set Supervisor  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Set Supervisor in Lakeland, FL (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a great place to work. I started with them as a part-time cashier and worked my way all the way up to co-manager position where I ran my store pretty much because of an incompetent manager. they really take care of hourly employees with a good pay rate, insurance and every other weekend off. The way they open new stores is a really cool process too that brings jobs to the community. ive opened 30-40 stores for the company and took part in almost all stores built in florida. Great DMs in Florida, if you have the option on where to go id work for Nick Hiller.

Cons

not much of a work life balance because being salary you sometimes have to work every weekend. The pay for salary managers is also terrible for how much work youre expected to put in. For being a Christian based company with a very black and white attitude theres a lot of grey area in the way they do things. Most co's that come in from other big box retailers are terrible and have horrible work ethic. Growing to fast for their own good

I worked all over the country opening stores for the company.. Ray Baker was the best man to ever work for. Also my Dm in florida Nick Hiller was my favorite boss ive ever had. Also Lee in the Washington area was great as well. I think that recruiting needs to do a better job with the people that they bring into the company. The lady they put in my store as a Co is the reason im no longer with the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very nice store.

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I love my position in Custom Framing. Working with customers in this department is very rewarding.

Cons

The store can get very, very messy, mostly because of college students. This makes recovery at night long and arduous.

Please train management in how to manage poor/ineffective employees. We have a lot of unchecked ineffectiveness that gets put onto other employees. No performance evaluations and all employees get paid the same.

Alright needs work.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Tinley Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Tinley Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for more than a year

Pros

Off on Sunday, Great place for creative people, frendly co-workers. very fast pace.

Cons

only promotes from the outside. co-workers only care about there departments. We are suppose to have 24 hours to work freight. We really only have one day. Manager is very miniplitve, and likes to harass. work schederal is put out on Friday or saturday.

Start promoting from within. concider your emploiees, put out schedural sooner.

The only thing constant is change

Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Co-Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excellent working conditions, Clean warehouse with newer equipment, Medical facility on site open to employees at no cost. Processes are set and easy to execute

Cons

There is a small amount of "good old boy" management structure but it is slowly being weeded out. Expect to work long hours and deal with large amounts of employees

Institute three 8 hour shifts instead of trying to work 2 shift 10-11 hours a day plus Saturday. More structure for managers is needed. Decide on what is needed for advancement and let people know expectations.

Possibilities are there

Current Employee - Stockman
    Current Employee - Stockman

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly environment and easy to get a long with co-workers. Customers are welcoming and usually easy to please. There is perks being Full-time or above once you can get into the company.

Cons

Massive pay cut to what I am use to and looks hard to get a raise unless someone is fired or leaves.

Part-time people able to receive promotions and benefits like Full-time employees.

Department Head

Current Employee - Department Head  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than a year

Pros

Closed Sundays. Christian values. All holidays OFF!

Cons

Schedule Not posted until Friday (sometimes Saturday) for the following week!

A very draining experience

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They suck you in with good pay, benefits, holiday bonuses and Sundays off. I left with plenty of experience to put on a resume.

Cons

Due to increasing pay for full-timers, part-time employee hours were cut to one or two days a week. Department heads were left to pick up the slack; running our own departments, setting seasonal merchandise, helping customers, and running a register all at once in a busy store. Customers complained on a regular basis, were unable to read signs, and left piles of merchandise and garbage . Management expected miracles, but the stock room ended up with seasonal stock piled, literally, floor to ceiling. Outside help was needed, and both manager and co-manager quit soon after. Company "values" are superficial, essentially limited to playing Christian soft jazz music and cutting off the informative tags of expensive handmade Indian blankets because of the word "gods". Most decor items come from China or India, and are poor quality. Christmas decor started to be set in June, and by the time the holidays came around employees were left feeling disenchanted, albeit sparkly with glitter. During monthly stock tests, we were reprimanded when a customer bought all of a certain item. Some employees worked 12-13 hours on truck days; all freight had to be put up, and sometimes a last minute decision would arise to complete a reset or markdown.

Get in touch with your employees, realize when they are being overworked. Stop sending all seasonal stock at once when department resets are still being sent out.

not what you would expect

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good pay and bonuses after a year~ personal time and vacation for full time employees, but the management has their view of what is considered personal time.

Cons

Full time means 35 hours, never enough help, demanding management. Never enough employees scheduled so the customers can't ever find somebody to help them.

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!