Hobby Lobby Reviews

Updated 28 September, 2014
2.6

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays (in 64 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • the only way to make more money within the company is to become full time (in 46 reviews)

• Part-time employees are required to work every Saturday (no exceptions) (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Good on the surface

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

-The store is closed on Sundays so you can generally plan on not coming in that day although sometimes there are shifts available on Sundays for inventory and special projects
    -The pay when I worked there was about 50 cents above minimum wage

Cons

-Management kept me at 33 hours per week to avoid promoting me to full time which would have nearly doubled my pay and offered me health care
    -Management in general is incompetent, egotistical, and lazy
    -You are discouraged from taking your full (legally required) break time
    -Tiny infractions can lead to write ups or termination

Good company

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great employees and competitive hourly pay. Only worked two Sundays a year in December. Company continues to grow. Good bonuses quarterly(payroll) and yearly if you meet financial goals. No micromanagement

Cons

No work/life balance and working 6 days a week from thanksgiving till the end of January. If a manager quits no backup you work every Saturday till another one is hired, which can take 3 months. Better training for store managers some are moved up because they can merchandise but not fully trained on payroll/hiring procedures for company.
     No way of looking into other positions within the company and uncomfortable asking upper management due to retaliation. They push to have freight processed within 48 hours which takes most of your payroll.
    The owners are Christians but it does not reach the regional/district managers which require you to work extra hours if you get behind.
    I have had some upper managers that if you don't suck up to them are disrespectful to you.

Training for managers, balanced payroll to match needs for stores, a system to review other positions available in the company

Had a really good experience at Hobby Lobby Corporate

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

They are open to you when family stuff needs to be taken care of. They offer a good health care clinic there in OKC by corporate offices.

Cons

Really no cons because Hobby Lobby's wage is higher than many other places.

Management I dealt with was awesome!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to shop and to work; The pay is on par for what they expect.

Current Employee - Department Head  in  Lakeland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Lakeland, FL (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

First thing, if you want to know a lot about the history/plan of The Hobby Lobby, the book by Mr. Green is very informative and also transparent, which all Christians are called to be. The company has a very rigid structure and VERY demanding work ethic, but make no mistake, that's what WORK is. They perform mass hires at a store opening, and experience matters. But an opening is very tough work, and if you show up to work you will be rewarded. A majority of people start at part time, then are rewarded full time based on effort. There is a reason for this, because they weed out all the people looking for a free ride, and if you are one of them, you won't be there long. The pay is amazing for part time retail, it is now up to 10.00 hr, and full time starts at 15.00 hr. No one else pays that, due to the company having a very smart and efficient retail process that I have never seen before, so they believe in putting it back into their employees. The benefits are as good as anywhere else, and there is personal time and vacation time to be made.

Cons

Sadly, part timers are at the mercy of schedule, used wherever management sees fit, but if you can stand it and have an open availability you will be rewarded. The only other negative to part time is no accrued vacation time OR sick time, and they do not offer benefits of any kind to part timers. They are very much a seasonal store and the merchandise rotates very quickly, some items never to be seen again. The problem is it can be very difficult to learn what items go where.
      As far as full timers go, in the months of September-December, you will be extremely busy and will work long hours due to the tremendous sales that happen. Christmas trees get shipped in around July! Most of the management teams will expect you to work longer without much notice, and as far as the term of work/family life goes, you wont have as much family time during the Christmas season as you would like. They very much expect the best from you and to be very committed. It can be very difficult to move up in the company if you are not willing to relocate, as the turnover rate is high and stores are always opening.

Any company is only as good as it's employees. While a majority of people you will find are honest and have integrity, there is in every company a few people that will have their own interests in mind and strive for that instead of the good of the group. I have seen managers come and go in the 3 years with the company AND store. I have heard that one RVP or higher employee say "Managers should be treating employees as if they were their personal congregation" Great words from someone with the right mind frame, sadly not all managers will do this. My advice to managers, is that YOU are just as responsible to your employees as we are to you, the golden rule applies. In the end, you will get out of your employees what you are willing to put into them.

Best company I've worked for!

Current Employee - Department Head  in  Columbus, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Department Head in Columbus, GA (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal. No stress. Job is hard work but simple and straight forward. Actually keeps me fit. Love working with customers from...helping kids with school projects to decorating for a wedding. Starting pay was, and is, 95% over minimum. A

Cons

Other than it's retail, there's not a lot to complain about. From October until Christmas, there's no time off except emergencies.

Seasonal Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Great working environment. Decent pay for cashier position. Closed Sunday.

Cons

Cash register system. Nothing else.

So Far So Good

Current Employee - Associate  in  Washington, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, PA (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

The store manager at the location I work for is one heck of a nice guy. So is the assistant manager. He's always smiling and is very pleasant. Everyone there works hard. We're putting a new store together and it's an awesome experience.

Cons

Upper management is obnoxious. He doesn't lift a finger. All he does is walk around and watch people, critiquing every single thing everybody does. He complains that we're falling behind schedule, yet won't help out. He just walks around and talks on his cell phone; even though we're not supposed to have cell phones ourselves. I am a bit worried that I'll be cut once the store is set up; based on what I've been reading on here.

Upper management should actually lift a finger once in a while instead of them walking around doing absolutely nothing. What example are they actually setting here?

A great job to start off and build your experience!

Former Employee - Stockman  in  West Bend, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Stockman in West Bend, WI (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team of co-workers that will go to any length to help each other. Great team of managers that continuously find new ways to enhance the store and business as a whole

Cons

Occasionally you will get a few members that aren't team players and will put little effort into helping more then needed.

Ensure you reward those who continually give the company a great name and put their all into their work. Also those that don't need to have their jobs terminated to bring in better employee's.

Hobby Lobby is a great place to work.

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Russell, KY (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Russell, KY (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time for less than a year

Pros

Hobby Lobby was a great place to work because they paid more than minimum wage to all employees, closed at 8 (usually get out by 8:30), and are closed on Sundays. They were very flexible to accommodate my school schedule. Best of all, Christmas starts in July there!

Cons

I worked a lot of Saturdays and it seemed like the employees who smoked took more breaks than non-smokers.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

casual retail environment, policies are adaptive to environment. Benefits and time off are similar to other companies. Pay rate for hourly employees is incredible and employment is selective because of that. Attitude is everything!

Cons

Leadership selection is dependent on the store, some people were not mean to lead. This is a common occurrence in every job setting.

Retail management should go through the same selection processes as any other field, choosing the right LEADER is imperative to store success. Leadership vs. management education.

Hobby Lobby Photos

Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.
Entrance to the Hobby Lobby located in Foothills Ranch, CA
Furniture/Floral Display
Homecoming Reset in Floral Dept.

+ Add Photo

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!