Hobby Lobby

Updated 27 January, 2015
2.9

Hobby Lobby CEO David Green
David Green

Pros
  • The fact that the store closes at 8PM nightly and is closed on Sundays is a big deal (in 70 reviews)

• Hobby Lobby has increased wages for full time employees by one dollar for several years (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • They KEEP you from being full time so they don't have to give you benefits (in 51 reviews)

• As a part-time worker you have very little say in when or how much you want to work (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Good on the surface

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

-The store is closed on Sundays so you can generally plan on not coming in that day although sometimes there are shifts available on Sundays for inventory and special projects
    -The pay when I worked there was about 50 cents above minimum wage

Cons

-Management kept me at 33 hours per week to avoid promoting me to full time which would have nearly doubled my pay and offered me health care
    -Management in general is incompetent, egotistical, and lazy
    -You are discouraged from taking your full (legally required) break time
    -Tiny infractions can lead to write ups or termination

a great family oriented place to work

Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Stocker in Tupelo, MS (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

works with you about schedule conflicts, great pay, merchandise is outstanding with quality and quantity.

Cons

need more people to work during the Christmas season,

hire more people during the christmas season

you do not have much say on what goes on in your store

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

the pay is very good for what you do and they work well with your school schedule if you are a student

Cons

people from the corporate offices always come in to grade the store and when they do they always tell you to do something new. this would not be bad if it was different for every store but it is not. They do not realize that every store is different and depending on the location you are in, you may need to do some things a little differently.

Bad ol' retail.

Current Employee - Custom Frame Shop Manager
    Current Employee - Custom Frame Shop Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay and benefits for full-time employees is quite competitive.

Cons

There is very little incentive to work your way up in the company. The assistant managers and especially the store managers are worked to death for little more pay than normal full-time employees.

Also, the company seems very reluctant to embrace new technology to make the business more efficient.

Better communication and coordination are a must. If you want projects done by a certain date, make sure the components on your end are in place first.

Pay not Equal for Part-Timer's Responsibilities

Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer
    Current Employee - Part-Time Custom Framer

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

I was a framer for 3 years and recently had to quit due to a move. Management was good, coworkers were nice, hours fine.

Cons

It would have been nice to get paid more for the extra responsibility part-time framers have. One night while working alone, I was juggling 2-3 different customers, trying to finish custom orders due the next day, answering the phone, and start recovery within the hour. As I was sweating buckets with all these expectations, I see the stock boy just casually walk by sweeeeeeping. I think to myself, "and we make the same wage". I don't get it.

Pay part-time framers more for all the responsibility and skills they have. This job was very stressful at times; especially if you're expected to achieve many tasks and responsibilities in the few hours you're working. Rewards for obtaining a high upselling percentage would've been appreciated too.

H.L on the D.L

Current Employee - As A Matter of Fact, the Whole Store in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The items in the stores are nice, prices are so-so because of weekly discount savings, 40% coupon is good, the music is relaxing while you shop, some of the stores are clean and bright and some employees are friendly. Closed on Sundays but open for employees during new location store set and otherwise.

Cons

Store sets are tideous and confusing since there no aisle to show which department to deliver stock to, items to ring up individually on register, orientation takes 90 days before hire as a PT/FT but no one really gets FT. Store hours 9am-8pm good for customers but employees leaves 2-4 hours later cleaning and covering the diamonds.

Upper management should use modern technology in stores to prevent loss, advise store managers how to be courteous to employees as they do with customers. Store managers should meet with employees to disuss there work performance at least once a month, thank employees for their effort before ending their seasonal assignment without his/her knowledge, and let's work as a team.

I was a part time cashier who worked fair hours, checking, wrapping, and bagging customers purchases.

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The hours are amazing! They close at 8, and I was always busy, but never too busy.

Cons

It was difficult to request off. The managers rarely accept any requests, and you aren't allowed to request off any time during the holiday season ever.

Fast paced labor intensive job, fun enviroment and good people to work with

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Closed on Sundays with decent earning potential

Cons

Lots of manual labor involved in resetting the store for each holiday.

It's retai

Current Employee - Department Head
    Current Employee - Department Head

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Works well with my home life.

Cons

Understaffed as lot of the time.

Train people better so you can count on people other than the ones that have been there forever.

Hobby Lobby Photos