Hitachi Consulting

Updated 5 April, 2014

3.1

Hitachi Consulting President and CEO Philip R. Parr
Philip R. Parr

Pros
  • Work life balance is good but although depends on the project (in 37 reviews)

• The culture is very relaxed and the people are great (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • But perhaps better work life balance (in 12 reviews)

• Senior Management is out of touch with reality (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

hitachit

Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Consultant in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

great place for new graduates to learn the industry and gain experience

Cons

limited potential for personal career growth

acknowledge superiors

Great people - no vision

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Great people, interesting work, chance to learn, good opportunities for training

Cons

no vision, one size fits all approach to employees that have different skills and jobs, management often seems to be wearing blinders.

Making money or just growing is not a vision. You will get better work and more satisfaction out of employees if you treat them as individuals and not as identical cogs.

Great mid-size consulting firm but has its growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Specialized Services  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Specialized Services in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

- Engaged and open practice and executive leadership
    - Emphasizes a well-rounded consultant and not just pure technical skills
    - Provides opportunities for those that desire different career path - technical vs functional/managerial
     - Able to get engaged in projects earlier on when compared to bigger firms - get experience faster

Cons

- Experiencing growing pains after re-alignments
    - Can be difficult to attract talent because name is not widely known
    - Support services (HR, Operations, Recruiting, etc...) is a little short staffed compared to current size and growth projections
    - Limited budget for vendor training
    - Difficult to get buy-in for non-billable initiatives even if, long-term, the investment is worth it
    - Because consultants ramp up their skills more quickly, find that large firms are pursuing them more actively which leads to some turnover of really good, young talent and a mid/top heavy organization

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrific company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Concern for quality of life and work/life balance
    Challenging projects
    Good people to work with

Cons

Need to strike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals

Strike a better balance between solutions and industry verticals regarding pursuits and relationship management

I've hit a plateau

Current Employee - Lead Software Developer  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Software Developer in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

The job is relatively stress free, management is good.

Cons

Too fragmented, no true sense of team unity.

Be consistent in how you handle personal issues with employees. When one employee has a personal crisis and the CIO is rallying everyone around the team and another employee has a crisis and the CIO doesn't so much as say a word, it demonstrates a problem with consistency.

If not in involved with specific people, you will not succeed

Former Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Good Health and dental plans

Cons

You are selected for projects if people know you personally. If you are not known, you will be overlook and further ignored for utilization, sales and project management opportunities.

Need a better way of utilizing all employees, not just the popular ones.

Great firm to get into technical consulting

Current Employee - Consultant (C1)  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant (C1) in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

The people are incredible and the culture is fun. Pretty good work life balance (contingent on the project)

Cons

The projects fall a little short. You need a technical background or desire to fully appreciate the projects. Also bonuses are not very competitive

Better bonuses and more diverse project (Strategy implementation)

Working with Hitachi Consulting as an Architect and Manager

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Good people, good management, job satisfaction, company stability

Cons

requires national and sometime global travel, pay is not top dollar but reasonable

Hired under false pretenses, talked to in a condescending manner, then let go.

Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Human Resources Specialist in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

Facilities are top notch, IT system and department is quality.

Cons

Underdeveloped training within the HR department, management is ill equipped to lead, let alone manage. Instruction for new hires is non existient. Inconsistiency regarding the QA/QC of individual work.

I applied for an HR Business Partner position. I have 7 years of HR experience, iincluding Supervisory and Sr. Managerial/SME experence supporting over 6000 employees at over 30 locations. After interviewing several times I was "the ideal candidate for a different position" and hired as an Sr. HR Specialist. Coming in I was told that my primary responsibilities would be to write processes for our routine HR reporting. Once I got here I was given a share drive full of reports, notes described as process documents and told to figure them out. After two months of my three month temp position I was able to reverse engineer the reports and determine how they were ran. I started working here in July, out of the 19 reports due each month, 13 of them had not been completed since April. Why? Because the only person who knew how to run them was the person I replaced. My counterparts had no knowledge, my manager didn't have a clue how any of them were ran. No big deal.
    While having to figure out how to run these reports, I was also now responsible for running the reports. The ultimate goal was to have our outsourced office in India take these reports over. Unfortunately, they lack the minimal skill required fo manipulate a simple spreadsheet.
    Come October, I'm told that they cannot hire me on full time, but would extend my temp status. I am now a Salaried, Exempt employee in a temp position, so I am not afforded PTO or Holiday pay, which Im' currently investigating with the DOL to ensure legality.
    Come the end of October, I'm then told that I would be let go December 21st, and recieved complaints that it took so long to iron out the issues with their reports. Reports that no one else knows how to run, let alone write process documents for.
    I'm disappointed as I do enjoy the work enviornment of the company as a whole, they are very much into volunteering and do alot of events for company morale. Unfortunately, the HR department here is in a bad way. I come from larger companies that support 10 times as many employees and while it was hectic, the knowledge base was there.
    If you are an HR professional looking for a worthwhile position, look elsewhere.

p.s. the person they hired for the HRBP position instead of me left the company a month ago. I don't know if it was by choice or by force. Other HR staff have either been laid off for budgetary reasons or have just moved to other departments; so its safe to say the issues are systemic.

Poor Management

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

Pros

There are talented and hard working people at Hitachi Consulting. You are paid decent wages and you are expected to work long hours.

Cons

The management team treats you like a commodity. Your opinions are not sought out. The management team keeps most of their employees in the dark. Layoffs happen quite regularly as Hitachi has trouble managing it's business . Don't expect to keep your job longer than two years.

Upper management needs new leadership.

Worked for Hitachi Consulting? Contribute to the Community!