Hewitt Associates

Hewitt Associates Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Hewitt Associates President & CEO Gregory C. Case

Gregory C. Case

Pros:
  • "Good for candidates who are looking for a relaxed work life balance"
    in 55 reviews
  • "Can work from home most of the time, but there is no recognition for excessive overtime or 24x7 support"
    in 35 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work / life balance expect to work holidays"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Long hours - not a lot of recognition"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great until they became public

Consultant (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat colleagues and managers. Before becoming pubic, was a great place to work.

ConsLong hours, talk about work life balance but no balance

Advice to Senior ManagementHave an open door policy

Before Aon - great place to work for...after Aon it was a clash of two different cultures. Very difficult to adjust

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCo-workers are great, some flexibility

ConsLong hours - not a lot of recognition

Terrible management and leadership

Pension Analyst (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON

I worked at Hewitt Associates full-time for more than a year

ProsThere are only a few things which are pretty good about this company. Three weeks of starting vacation, decent health benefits. Accessible location (close to subway & amenities). Cool employees.

ConsLots of inept managers who only got the position based on nepotism or connections, not merit. HR Managers that are clueless about what's really going in in their teams. Operations managers that tyrannical, vindictive and have IQ's that are slightly above a worm's.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of all the managers in the Pension Admin department. You need younger leaders who care about their teams. You need a more educated management team.

Good culture but too much bearocracy

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsThe company hired mostly capable people and had a good salary and benefits

Consthere were so many processes that were unnecessary that work was not very efficient

Hewitt was a good place to start my career, and I gained some valuable knowledge and experience.

Pension Processing Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsMy co-workers and managers were friendly and supportive. As a large company, there are ample opportunities to move elsewhere in the firm.

ConsI believe that the compensation for my position was less than some of the competitors. I also found it very difficult to get information about Hewitt's operations in other countries (I considered moving to Asia if there was a suitable position).

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that the company would benefit if all of the different sections communicated more, and if there were some systematic way to share resources, as I have the impression that certain teams or departments strive to "reinvent the wheel" for certain tasks, when someone else in the company already has found a solution.

Decent

Montreal, QC

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsLarge company, great exposure to big clients.

ConsLimited professional growth/advancement, at least before being bought out.

Neutral

I have been working at Hewitt Associates

ProsHealth and Dental Benefits are really good here, and you get them from day one of starting here. Otherwise pay is neutral

ConsI don't see much of an opportunity for advancement. I think its difficult to move cross-departments

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a mentorship program setup for new employees to explore different avenues Hewitt can offer. Also, provide more cross-training to help employees develop new skills.

Good

Setup Configurations Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsJust Started with the company. Co-workers are friendly

ConsLess oportunity to grow within

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to recorginize employee needs

Cant make gold out of coal

Setup Configuration Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Hewitt Associates

ProsThe work life balance is pretty good at Hewitt, they allow working from home time to time to allow for people to manage their personal life and balance their work load. Vacation time is decent, though is changing. Work can be interesting depending where you end up and what team you are on, and is really what you make of it. Very comfratable place to work at, great co workers

ConsWith the merger benefits are getting severely reduced to making the company basically the same as any other company to work for. Not sure what other immediate down stream effects the merger will have, but benefits are definitely getting reduced as well as the work force. Was bounced around on a lot of different teams given their organizational structure, which is now changing again. For the past 2 years that i have been here, and talking to other colleagues the place has been in organizational flux for the past 5 years since going public. Can definitely tell from people that have been here longer that they are frustrated with the constant flux and the not knowing. Attrition has definitely been a problem as well, going from the management down. I have seen and heard of a lot of people "dissapearing quietly". Defintely adds to the somber atmosphere when a senior manager dissapears, or another co worker leaves. Performance review from what i hear is also ridiculous. Though they preach to be a leader in the industry, the performance review process is from the stone age. At any given bank, or other company there is a formal review as well as mutual sign off, that does not happen here. What happens is if your manager (not even your team) likes you then your in. I have seen people move into roles that were very undeserving only due to the fact that they were the hiring managers pet, and other hard workers have to take the long road up. Though the review is a 360 review, it doesnt matter if your co workers and reviewers give you perfect reviews, the end of the day the manager has the last word and will only give you "ok" and never "exceeds" even though your reviews are glowing. Reviews are very much in the hands of your manager. If you come from a technical computer science background, I would recommend that you get your experience and leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it pay for performance vs pay what i feel like paying you, little to no incentives to try any harder then anyone else since no matter how hard anyone works they will still get the same thing as the slacker next door.

Hit or Miss as an Employer

I have been working at Hewitt Associates

ProsYour work experience at Hewitt truly depends on the group you land in and the competence of the manager you have. With the right management team there are wonderful opportunities to learn and be a part a leading organization. There is never any lack of work to do (see cons!) so there is ample opportunity to take on more. One of the guiding competencies is Continuous Improvement and associates are encouraged to develop new ways of doing things.

ConsThe workplace is in constant flux. Turnover is incredibly high and employee engagement is incredibly low. It's a poorly kept secret that Hewitt's engagement was so low that we wouldn't have qualified to participate in our own 50 Best Employers study. There is little consistency in the ability of managers within the organization. I had the best manager of my career and the worst manager of my career at Hewitt. In their enthusiasm to "continuously improve" the policies and processes can be difficult to follow. Often, perfectly effective business practices were thrown away in pursuit of the next best thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to toss the dead wood you accumulate when you acquire outsourced business. Put more money and more support behind employee development and employee education.

Worked for Hewitt Associates? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hewitt Associates reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Hewitt Associates CEO Gregory C. Case. All 459 reviews are posted anonymously by Hewitt Associates employees.