Hersha Hospitality

Updated 27 October, 2014
2.2

Jay H. Shah

Great employer

Former Employee - Intern in Ithaca, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Ithaca, NY (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everything is good at Hersha hospitality

Cons

None, I can't find Anything wrong to say about Hersha

You're just a number.

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time

Pros

Personal Growth... so many changes and position open. You will be able to move up

Cons

Benefits. Horrible communication and the company will look-out for itself.

No room to grow

Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Frederick, MD (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I cant think of a pro of working in this company

Cons

Too demanding and low pay.

The Walmart of Hospitality

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing good to say. I do not feel valued as an employee. On the upside I do in fact get a paycheck!

Cons

They are such a low cost operator, employees are generally paid way below average which creates more turnover and low morale. Company grew too fast and is buckling beneath its weight at the corporate level. Not enough support for as micromanaging as they try to be. No real training for new hires at any level (line level, supervisor or manager). Roll outs for anything new are reactive instead of proactive which creates chaos. Corporate is also completely disorganized. Hopefully this will change and they learn fast or they will lose employees, myself included.

See "cons" section and learn.

Decent company, I've enjoyed my time.

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

They promote from within and the opportunity for growth is definitely there. They do a great job of making you aware of opportunities as well.

Cons

Wish there were more hotels in their portfolio. There are none in a lot of major cities I would have been interested in moving to. They don't have very many high end or full service hotels either. May be property specific but they do not do very much in the way of employee appreciation or give back to the staff in any way.

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

Cons

Extremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I worked at Hersha Hospitality

Pros

Great people, great room to grow in your field. Typically an IT position is very centered towards a well defined set of responsibilities and goals, at Hersha the job responsibilities can vary depending on experience and willingness to take on more. Overall - the short time that I spent in their IT department was rewarding with an expansion on multiple knowledge areas.

Cons

Management seems to not know what is going on - ever. While working there I was apart of multiple projects that had seemed to come down to the wire. While working with leadership, it seemed as if they would assign project end dates and tasks with no formal (or any) knowledge of the scope of projects. Many of the times leadership will announce projects late when they remember or find them on their desks weeks after the 'start' of a project. Overall - Management makes it difficult to complete anything.

Advice to Management would be to stop micromanaging small tasks that do not have any impact on the organization, and start focusing on building a stronger leadership skills. Set boundaries for upper level management to focus on their jobs and not basic tasks. Lastly, management needs to stop taking lavish corporate trips when they say that the company is financially cutting back.

Incompetent and unfair management and lots of favoritism

Former Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Guest Services in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities in Urban areas such as New York City and Boston.

Cons

It states in their welcome video that they don't hire because of their degrees or their experience they hire employees because they match well with their company. That states that they will hire anyone with no experience and incompetent people who shouldn't be working in the industry and since i worked with Hersha there was nothing but incompetent people working in hotels that shouldn't be in such positions especially upper management.

Managers have a lot of favoritism towards select employees and give them the best shifts and put other responsibility on others and not compensate them for it.

If your responsible for a mistake and it wasn't only 1 person that's responsible and the second employee was the favorite employee of the manager. You would be held accountable for the mistake and be the only one reprimanded.

Pay is not competitive with other hotels in NYC area and other urban areas

Once your hired in a position its very hard to move up unless your a favored employee

Upper management needs to go into all properties and speak to their employees and monitor their General Managers and Assistant General Managers.

Raise the compensation to competitive hotels and treat your employees with respect and the company will go far.

Don't support favoritism

Positive experience with opportunity for growth.

I worked at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of HHM's core values is personal growth which I can personally attest to. Within a relatively short period of time and a lot of hard work, I was able to advance to General Manager under great leadership and several mentors. If you wok in NYC, the benefits are great. There are some really great people working for HHM and a number of corporate level associates who really do care about the little guy and development.

Cons

Pay is not competitive enough to match other hotel management companies. Not all regions are treated with the same care and attention. Although the company has expanded and made strides, there is still a lot of disorganization from the corporate level to the property level. As expected in the hospitality industry, the turnover rate can cause some inconsistencies in leadership, training and communication.

Develop a better training infrastructure for new and up-and-coming associates. At the property level, there is sometimes a lack of communication of expectations largely due to poor training. Conduct a wage study for your regions and consider increasing compensation from the bottom up. Other hotel management companies offer at least 12-15% more for comparable positions.

Worst Management Company

Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing
    Current Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing

I have been working at Hersha Hospitality full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No positive attributes about this company

Cons

Upper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Quit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality