Hersha Hospitality

Updated Jul 04, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jay H. Shah

Decent company, I've enjoyed my time.

ProsThey promote from within and the opportunity for growth is definitely there. They do a great job of making you aware of opportunities as well.

ConsWish there were more hotels in their portfolio. There are none in a lot of major cities I would have been interested in moving to. They don't have very many high end or full service hotels either. May be property specific but they do not do very much in the way of employee appreciation or give back to the staff in any way.

Don't Waste Your Time with this Company!

ProsGreat place for a recent college grad to gain experience.... think of it as an extended internship. When you're ready, start looking for a better company that will treat you right.

ConsExtremely high turnover at all levels and areas of the company:
    -The benefits are minimal or non-existent. (i.e. you get to use your vacation time when you're sick....lol!)
    - The pay is very low with no hope of a raise or rewards for hard work.
    -Lack of respect and/or appreciation for employees at all levels.
    -Low level of professionalism
    -It's a Top-Down culture.... don't expect any respect if you're not high level management
    -Bad leadership...... I wouldn't want my kids to work there..

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm kind of surprised that there aren't more reviews on this site.... but not surprised that just about all of them are negative!

You really need to think about changing the culture to one which appreciates what people do and treats them like human beings. If you continue to run the company like a labor camp..then you'll keep losing all of your good employees.

And stop being sooooo greeeedy! Why are most of your employees making just above the federal minimum wage?!?!?!? Meanwhile you guys are living the life.... you would be banking a lot more money if you invested in the people that actually do the work down to the property staff!!

the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great room to grow in your field. Typically an IT position is very centered towards a well defined set of responsibilities and goals, at Hersha the job responsibilities can vary depending on experience and willingness to take on more. Overall - the short time that I spent in their IT department was rewarding with an expansion on multiple knowledge areas.

ConsManagement seems to not know what is going on - ever. While working there I was apart of multiple projects that had seemed to come down to the wire. While working with leadership, it seemed as if they would assign project end dates and tasks with no formal (or any) knowledge of the scope of projects. Many of the times leadership will announce projects late when they remember or find them on their desks weeks after the 'start' of a project. Overall - Management makes it difficult to complete anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Management would be to stop micromanaging small tasks that do not have any impact on the organization, and start focusing on building a stronger leadership skills. Set boundaries for upper level management to focus on their jobs and not basic tasks. Lastly, management needs to stop taking lavish corporate trips when they say that the company is financially cutting back.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive experience with opportunity for growth.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of HHM's core values is personal growth which I can personally attest to. Within a relatively short period of time and a lot of hard work, I was able to advance to General Manager under great leadership and several mentors. If you wok in NYC, the benefits are great. There are some really great people working for HHM and a number of corporate level associates who really do care about the little guy and development.

ConsPay is not competitive enough to match other hotel management companies. Not all regions are treated with the same care and attention. Although the company has expanded and made strides, there is still a lot of disorganization from the corporate level to the property level. As expected in the hospitality industry, the turnover rate can cause some inconsistencies in leadership, training and communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a better training infrastructure for new and up-and-coming associates. At the property level, there is sometimes a lack of communication of expectations largely due to poor training. Conduct a wage study for your regions and consider increasing compensation from the bottom up. Other hotel management companies offer at least 12-15% more for comparable positions.

Incompetent and unfair management and lots of favoritism

Guest Services (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGreat opportunities in Urban areas such as New York City and Boston.

ConsIt states in their welcome video that they don't hire because of their degrees or their experience they hire employees because they match well with their company. That states that they will hire anyone with no experience and incompetent people who shouldn't be working in the industry and since i worked with Hersha there was nothing but incompetent people working in hotels that shouldn't be in such positions especially upper management.

Managers have a lot of favoritism towards select employees and give them the best shifts and put other responsibility on others and not compensate them for it.

If your responsible for a mistake and it wasn't only 1 person that's responsible and the second employee was the favorite employee of the manager. You would be held accountable for the mistake and be the only one reprimanded.

Pay is not competitive with other hotels in NYC area and other urban areas

Once your hired in a position its very hard to move up unless your a favored employee

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to go into all properties and speak to their employees and monitor their General Managers and Assistant General Managers.

Raise the compensation to competitive hotels and treat your employees with respect and the company will go far.

Don't support favoritism

Worst Management Company

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsNo positive attributes about this company

ConsUpper Management is clueless. No real vision, no trust in their associates.
    Horrible Compensation- Worst in the industry.
    Abysmal incentive structure/opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit. Allow those positions to be occupied by qualified executives who actually exhibit hospitality

Great people, great company

Prossmall company, get to know everyone, and everyone is nice

Conswork can get boring sometimes

exciting ideas but not enough follow through from owners and leaders. lacking reinvestment and disingenuous.

Director of Sales and Marketing (Current Employee)

ProsThe leaders are excellent at "talking the talk." They know how to excite a room and convince an audience of their promises. They can generate excitement.

ConsThey have a hard time delivering on their promises. They fail to back up their pitches with action. They manage their hotels from a place of fear. The proper supports do not exist, as the support team is young and inexperienced. The leader are all men (or close to men) and the support seem to be pretty young things; more of a dating pool. A "boys club" that bows down to the owners.

There is a lot of talk about work life balance, but they work employees to death and then push them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook closely at your regional and vp team. They are all covering each others' messes up. The revenue management and sales teams are not generating the revenue they could. And your operations teams are kept preoccupied acting as secretaries for the vps. Everyone is more concerned with giving the right answers. The love of hospitality is lost.

Listen to your own speeches.

Poorly Staffed and Managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThere is a lot of room for advancement (positions, not so much with pay), the company is growing fast and you can get valuable industry experience here.

ConsYou will probably have to learn most things on your own, there is no structured training. The company is very unorganized from the top down. You will have to do the work of many, in most positions, since they don't budget for enough staff to properly run their business. Standards and wages are low (but demands are high) so many of the people you work with will be under-qualified. Most of the qualified employees are overworked and burned out since the company seems to have no real value on them.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide formal training and increase budget for staffing so you can have enough staff to support your needs and pay enough to hire people who are qualified.

Worse Company to work for

ProsI cant think of anything nice to put here.

ConsI work at a hotel manage by Hersha. All i can say is Hersha is cheap. Its all business. There is no incentive for the employees here. I use to love my job until i came to this company. Its very sad to say that. Some of the workers here work over 8 hours and no break, this isnt a sweatshop but they treated us as such.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey way the property managers are treating your hotel is showing everyone who work here that corporate doesnt really care about the employees. Maybe instead of looking at the numbers ( which you probably well never do) Look at the qualities of your employees, anyways because of them is that you make any money at all.

Worked for Hersha Hospitality? Contribute to the Community!