Henry Schein Reviews

1. Nothing good

Current Employee - Medical Sales
    Current Employee - Medical Sales

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free sample products from suppliers

Cons

Everything! You are micromanaged with people looking over your shoulder and listening to your calls all day long. Commission structure is set up in a pool which changes every month, and you get a small percentage of that pool. It won't matter if you are a top seller or a bottom seller.
    Horrible life work balance. If you need time for you family or kids...too bad, you have to really fight for time off.

Advice to Management

You will get better results by letting your sales people do what they do best...sell, without your interference. Actually reward your sales people by giving them commission on what they sell.

Nice place to work, but are having "growing pains".

Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are genuine, benefits are good, and salaries are market average. Many opportunities once you are in.

Cons

Top heavy company, meaning too many generals, not enough soldiers. The company caters to "Wall Street" in regard to stock price versus running the business as an independent company. Our CEO likes to say we lead the industry, which we do well, but if Wall Street is unhappy with us, we have made unnecessary sacrifices to please them. I understand the fiduciary responsibilities to the shareholders, however, the company likes to brag about employee moral (which is actually low right now). Can be very stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Read the cons, continue to lead the industry, focus more on your employees (and customers) more than the stock price. The TSM's are the heart of the company. The company doesn't have to have "record earnings each quarter", as long as we deliver a good product or service, and earn a profit and that's all that should count. I think Mr. and Mrs. Schein (the founders) would agree. They use to give their employees Turkeys, Baby Gifts, and many other awards to their hard working employees. I think they would embarrassed with our current senior management "stock greed".

3. Nice place to work briefly but not long term.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good atmosphere and relatively low stress.

Cons

Low Salaries, no job growth, low compensation

Advice to Management

Stop hiring your relatives.

I have been a full time warehouse associate for 3 years.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off ,dental insurance .

Cons

Low pay and annual raises are a joke .No matter what you do your raise will never be more then between 1 and 3 % no real insensitive to go above and beyond what is required. Management famous for telling you what you want to hear and doing nothing .Over promise and under produce .Don't care about low level employees , only worried about rich getting richer.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring Temps with no work ethic.Raise pay rate . This is supposed to be a Fortune 500 Co than stop paying people at warehouse level of the Co ,poverty level money.

6. Henry Schein Dental

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and good atmosphere.

Cons

Bad structure with a one size fits all format for all geographies.

Advice to Management

It's time to refresh the decrepit Field Comm and BB.

7. Team Schein

I worked at Henry Schein full-time

Pros

Great company culture, the culture at Schein is truly like a very large family. Often you find people working with others just to improve the culture and life of those around them.

Cons

Management can be reluctant to adapt to new changes or systems.

Professional

Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros include working for a well-established brand known by health care professionals, a Fortune 300 industry leader, competitive benefits and compensation.

Cons

Cons include old school environment (workplace is 80's style and hasn't been updated) and corporate mentality is Theory X with regard to workplace behavior. Some managers exhibit bullying, coercive mannerisms..

Advice to Management

Avoid Lip Service and practice corporate responsibility a bit better with regard to employees. Focus more on the people and less on the beans.

9. Not a good idea

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are scraps of left over lunch most days. Very busy job, so day goes by fast

Cons

No communication, no home life balance for anyone other than the executives, lack of leadership, dishonest executive team, technology is barely there. Not a company to grow in.

Advice to Management

Embrace change....lots of it.

Very underrated company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I answer to 3 individuals who are all excellent to work for. I love every level of management I have had to work with and I have never felt mistreated or taken advantage of.

Cons

People do not know how good we have it at this company. People are constantly complaining about things the company is doing for us for FREE. This is not a con to the company, just a con of people being ungrateful. I don't get it.

Bonuses and raises are not large enough to get excited about.

Advice to Management

To remain industry competitive you need to be willing to restructure a department based on their actual workflow and adjust salaries accordingly. I am doing a job I feel is critical to the success of our division and because my job title is incorrect I have no room to negotiate my salar.

Good for 2-3 years max, salaries are wayyyy below market, a sales & mktg company run by CPA's, lawyers and finance geeks

Former Employee - Marketing Guru in Melville, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Guru in Melville, NY (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good experience in your 20's, very stable industries aligned with global macro healthcare trends. Tons of cash, good 401k plan match, and generally a pleasant place to work with some real nice people. Schein is a place where there are not a lot of the typical "jerks" that you find in other companies. Not high stress, good work/life balance.

Cons

Salaries are very under market for Long Island, and all LI companies know Schein sucks for comp. It's a recruiters dream to poach good talent! If you are young, come in and do 2-3 years AT MAX otherwise you will be digging out of the salary gap for the rest of your career. Schein is a Sales & Marketing company run entirely by CPA's and finance geeks - if you're in Marketing Strategy you will be amazed there's not one single executive with any proven Marketing accomplishments. They hoard cash, make acquisitions, and cut expenses to show profit. If you're a VP - welcome to the good life! This company is so overweight on VP's and Directors. Most companies axe VP's when performance sucks, but Schein? Nope, you're golden for life! Instead, they squeeze the lower levels with crappy raises and under-market salaries. The 3rd floor is a boys club with the same few people in Stan's inner circle moving up each year. They have a wake up call coming with Amazon coming into the dental market - the boys on the 3rd floor aren't gonna like it when they see what it's like to make 10 points on everything!

Advice to Management

Clear out the useless droves of VP's and your employees will respect you a lot more. In a sales and marketing company, create a culture where you can actually use a bathroom without hitting a CPA. Be ready for Amazon, it's gonna hurt!

Henry Schein Photos