Henry Schein

Updated 22 October, 2014
3.1

Henry Schein Chairman, President, and CEO Stanley M. Bergman
Stanley M. Bergman

Pros
  • The leniency for a work/life balance is wonderful (in 7 reviews)

• There are great people top to bottom, great benefits, solid industry, conservative company (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Fly by the seat of your pants upper management, sales people can get away with anything if they sell (in 6 reviews)

• However, I quickly realized that inflated egos, dirty office politics and administrative incompetence would prove to be bigger obstacles (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work, but are having "growing pains".

Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Employees are genuine, benefits are good, and salaries are market average. Many opportunities once you are in.

Cons

Top heavy company, meaning too many generals, not enough soldiers. The company caters to "Wall Street" in regard to stock price versus running the business as an independent company. Our CEO likes to say we lead the industry, which we do well, but if Wall Street is unhappy with us, we have made unnecessary sacrifices to please them. I understand the fiduciary responsibilities to the shareholders, however, the company likes to brag about employee moral (which is actually low right now). Can be very stressful at times.

Read the cons, continue to lead the industry, focus more on your employees (and customers) more than the stock price. The TSM's are the heart of the company. The company doesn't have to have "record earnings each quarter", as long as we deliver a good product or service, and earn a profit and that's all that should count. I think Mr. and Mrs. Schein (the founders) would agree. They use to give their employees Turkeys, Baby Gifts, and many other awards to their hard working employees. I think they would embarrassed with our current senior management "stock greed".

Very positive, good culture

Current Employee - Human Resources in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Open door policy, team support, positive work environment.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities, small salary increases

Stop saying how much money the company makes if it doesn't trickle down to the employees

Capitalism at it's worst.

Current Employee - Customer Support in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Support in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is ok and benefits good.

Cons

Too many changes, every few months the job tasks change with no training but all the responsibility. Team Schein is a very empty statement Your job title means nothing, they throw anything at you they need to. Way too much work for one day. Not a great place to work, makes you feel like a possession No way to gain any comfort or confidence with your job..

Never had access to any of them.

I have been a full time warehouse associate for 3 years.

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Richmond, VA (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paid time off ,dental insurance .

Cons

Low pay and annual raises are a joke .No matter what you do your raise will never be more then between 1 and 3 % no real insensitive to go above and beyond what is required. Management famous for telling you what you want to hear and doing nothing .Over promise and under produce .Don't care about low level employees , only worried about rich getting richer.

Stop hiring Temps with no work ethic.Raise pay rate . This is supposed to be a Fortune 500 Co than stop paying people at warehouse level of the Co ,poverty level money.

Team Schein

I worked at Henry Schein full-time

Pros

Great company culture, the culture at Schein is truly like a very large family. Often you find people working with others just to improve the culture and life of those around them.

Cons

Management can be reluctant to adapt to new changes or systems.

Henry Schein Dental

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employees and good atmosphere.

Cons

Bad structure with a one size fits all format for all geographies.

It's time to refresh the decrepit Field Comm and BB.

Professional

Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Professional in Melville, NY (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros include working for a well-established brand known by health care professionals, a Fortune 300 industry leader, competitive benefits and compensation.

Cons

Cons include old school environment (workplace is 80's style and hasn't been updated) and corporate mentality is Theory X with regard to workplace behavior. Some managers exhibit bullying, coercive mannerisms..

Avoid Lip Service and practice corporate responsibility a bit better with regard to employees. Focus more on the people and less on the beans.

Not a good idea

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are scraps of left over lunch most days. Very busy job, so day goes by fast

Cons

No communication, no home life balance for anyone other than the executives, lack of leadership, dishonest executive team, technology is barely there. Not a company to grow in.

Embrace change....lots of it.

Very underrated company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in American Fork, UT (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I answer to 3 individuals who are all excellent to work for. I love every level of management I have had to work with and I have never felt mistreated or taken advantage of.

Cons

People do not know how good we have it at this company. People are constantly complaining about things the company is doing for us for FREE. This is not a con to the company, just a con of people being ungrateful. I don't get it.

Bonuses and raises are not large enough to get excited about.

To remain industry competitive you need to be willing to restructure a department based on their actual workflow and adjust salaries accordingly. I am doing a job I feel is critical to the success of our division and because my job title is incorrect I have no room to negotiate my salar.

Good Benefits, Call Center Tech (unusable)

Current Employee - Remote Support Technician in Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Remote Support Technician in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Henry Schein full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Outstanding benefits. The PPO here is ridiculously awesome. You get a lot of benefits no matter what your salary is.

Cons

Tech Central is a call center first and foremost. They do technology second. If you're just getting into the industry then this is good for you, if you have experience then I would be cautious. TC does not incentivise getting certifications that are industry standard. Instead, you're encouraged to get Dell certifications. While they're important for the company - they will not help your career whatsoever

Invest in these employees specifically. Not only do they act as loss prevention but they create an environment around your customers of trust. Stay away from the call center mentality when mixing with I.T. Customers consider I.T. a complex process and want to speak to professionals, hiring on a call center mentality will get you short of nowhere.

Henry Schein Photos