Hennepin County Medical Center Reviews

3.1
David Jones

1. Busy but rewarding

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center

Pros

HCMC is a workplace like no other. The place is often very busy and there are days where I never sit still but if you're the type of person who revels in being busy its a great place to work. There's rarely any time to be bored. The employees are a mixed bunch of people and HCMC will often throw staff parties, health initiatives, etc. to help encourage team building and development. The benefits packages are pretty good as well.

Cons

There is sometimes frustration to be had with the weakness of departmental cohesiveness. Sometimes the communication between different units will falter and this can lead to frustrated patients and staff. There have certainly been numerous changes made in recent years to help counter this though.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards better communication between different units/departments. Be sure to take the time to encourage every staff member from emergency room doctors to environmental service workers, all who work to help the patients and keep the hospital running and clean.

2. Lack of good caring managers only worried about what they can do that makes them look good.

Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Lab in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center

Pros

I get paid on time and have decent benefits.

Cons

Time off is impossible. Issues of daily workplace are not addressed in a timely manner. Too much politics, clicks and silo mentality amoung management.

Advice to Management

Unless their is an epiphany and change of heart and soul by mangement to care not only for their staff who gives excellent care to the patient high turn over will ensue.

3. Hostile environment

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center

Pros

Easy to reach from bus lines

Cons

Being a government owned entity there is an environment of dual politics, both office type power struggles and positioning and then government related both from a regulation of a health provider to the heavy political correctness garbage.

5. I worked in the Emergency Department. I loved my job, my coworkers, and the mission we stood for!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center

Pros

I think The emergency department can be a wonderful place to work depending on your supervisor and the management. I believe in the mission statement! The doctors and residents are knowledgeable, compassionate, and always striving for the best for the patient. Never have I seen care compromise at all on the basis of an economic level or insurance or lack of insurance! Most of the staff takes pride in their work. They work diligently and hard in the care on behalf of the patient!

Cons

Huge issues with management. Constant turnover in management positions in the last 5 years. Management is huge on micromanaging. My manager wanted me to dummy down, do less work, and not to excel any further in my job.
    Management needs to talk to the employees more often about their jobs and what the job expectations are especially when your new or don't know!
    Huge turnover in employees. Over half to three quarters of the long-term employees have left the building, and management Allowed their knowledge and experience to walk out the door!
    Most of the nursing staff is young and inexperienced. There is a constant turnover with nurses and healthcare assistance. Consistency is lacking, knowledge and experience is limited which is completely unfortunate!

Advice to Management

Huge lack of communication with The employees. Rarely did management discuss or confer with The employees about development, changes, ideas to improve the function and experience for the patients in the emergency department.
    Management tends to micromanage. Management needs to macro manage and allow the employees to excel to their best abilities, not stifle them in fear and trepidation.
    Listen to the employees about their experiences and knowledge in their job class especially when change and or development of new ideas are needed.

6. Hennepin County Medical Center

Current Employee - Staff Neonatologist in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Staff Neonatologist in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center

Pros

Mission driven organization with outstanding clinical providers.

Cons

High percentage of medicaid and medicare patients puts a financial stress on organization.

Advice to Management

Reach out to communities where patients come from to better understand their social determinants of health

7. Anonymous

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Mission Statement" as to what the company does.

Cons

Doctors have too much control over decisions versus the staff who work face to face with patients and co-workers

Advice to Management

Remember that you started out the same way as the rest of us, Level 1

8. Challenging work environment

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company mission, much to learn, changing environment and continuous changes in leadership can lead to opportunity for the right employee.

Cons

Tough environment, changing environment, many inconsistencies throughout organization and even within departments.

Advice to Management

More consistency and employee appreciation. Listen to employees and practice fairness.

9. HCMC is one of the best hospital to work in the downtown minneapolis area in Minnesota. The organization have a great work ethics and their care is centered around family. Working there is a privilege.

Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a very great health benefits. Motivating salary, and incentives for well job done.

Cons

They organization should try to balance the patient to nurse ratio in terms of staffing.

Advice to Management

Keep the good work going.

10. This was a very rewarding education experience

Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Patient Service Coordinator in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Hennepin County Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you gain a lot of knowledge and it teaches you to want to give more for those in need

Cons

Getting management to listen to employees input

Advice to Management

please listen to the people who do the job because somethings look good from a distance but there are some things that do not work well when you actually are doing them.

11. Great place to work

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner in Minneapolis, MN (US)

Pros

great people who are compassionate about patients

Cons

costly parking and congested location

Advice to Management

communications to employees of all levels helps to create a team atmosphere.

Hennepin County Medical Center Photos

Our new state-of-the-art Center for Hyperbaric Medicine opened in 2012 and is comprised of three multiplace chambers and one monoplace chamber
Hennepin County Medical Center