Heinz Reviews

Updated 22 October, 2014
Updated 22 October, 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is unapologetic about lack of work-life balance (in 30 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture needs fixing

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

There are no pro's for this company

Cons

Poor pay, work you to the bone

P

Great in the beginning and most of my career there, terrible towards the end.

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to work with many different groups of people; promotions for some people; HGPS when upper management cared about it; Employee trainings

Cons

Endless conference calls and web meetings; Employee engagement efforts all cancelled due to cost; Terrible work-life balance towards the end of my career there; Many cuts in benefits and retirement after sale of company; Morale was at all time low when I left.

Micro-managing needs to stop; there's more to a company than cutting costs

Work life

I have been working at Heinz (more than an year)

Pros

Dream Big, Be rewarded, Work Hard, When you take vacation enjoy the vacation not expected to work.

Cons

Must be willing to work long Hours.

The Best Years

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There was a steady stream of work to keep the plant going. The plant management team was great, however as the buy out was approaching, things were changing fast.
    A great team of fellow employees who are worked together for over 25 years.

Cons

There was no concern of some of the skills people had. It became a fact of "who knew who" for what really happened there.

Bring the company back to the old days and provide the service that build Heinz to what they were.

A real plan to improve this place

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some people who think the new Heinz and new ownership is doing great and the only thing wrong are those negative people talking around the water cooler. Get rid of them and all would be well. In their minds, that’s how close they are to running the perfect company. I feel the problems are a little deeper. Luckily it can be fixed, and I'll try and give some advice to do just that.

Cons

Right now almost everything is a Con. The place is in a constant state of disarray. I'll use a simple example to show how crazy this place is… Look at the job postings and you’ll see jobs posted as “Future Opportunities". Ever see this before? This means that so many people are quitting that they need to post jobs before people quit to keep people in the pipeline! No joke. It’s that bad.

I don't believe that rants and complaints are the answer. I believe that someone needs ot sit them down and tell them how to fix it. This is my attempt.

Here is a plan that we can call “How to Make those Fake 5 Star Reviews Real in 6 Months or Less” (HR please take notes because I know you’re listening):

1.) Have the guts to look at what you’ve done and admit mistakes. False machismo and claims of a reality and company that isn’t true does not help anyone. It is hurting morale and making more people leave. A simple message from leadership admitting they made mistakes in critical areas like cutting too deep, letting critical people leave, and customer and vendor relationships would go a long way if it was combined with a commitment (a real one this time) that it will be fixed.

2.) Fix it by bringing in people who know the Food industry, people who know the job they’re brought to do, people who want to grow and mentor staff. Fix it by investing in real talent. Not the people you’ve been importing recently. I haven’t seen one good (or dare I say competent) director or associate director brought in from the outside yet. We don’t need more leadership imports from Brazil or whatever non-relevant company or industry who are learning on the job. We need skilled professionals that hit the ground running. You let too many of those people go. Time to get them back.

3.) Start by cleaning out the top management. Get rid of the unqualified people you brought from 3G and the others you hired from the outside that aren’t working. Supply Chain, Sales, and Finance are all in shambles right now because of this. Get them out. Go back to some of the old Heinz leadership and beg them to come back. If they won’t come back (which they shouldn’t unless you get out of their way), then get new leadership from the industry this time. You’re model of hiring people outside the industry without relevant experience is not working. It is crippling us. The leadership is the worst I’ve seen in my career. We've hired director level employees that would not have even been given an interview at Heinz 2 years ago. It’s driving customers and employees away. Plus, you’re treatment of the old leadership in this company was a disgrace. Time to turn the tables on yourselves.

4.) Once leadership is in place, start trying to bring back the talent you lost. You’re not getting it from the outside and old Heinz folks won’t come back if you haven’t made real personnel changes at the top. If you get the right leaders in place, then start courting the people you boldly said you don’t need and let walk out the door. I've talked to people who have left and people loved this place and would come back if leadership was addressed.

5.) Stop posting fake reviews. You created this situation, live with it. Fix it and make it the company that you wish it was. You can’t wish it were so, you need to make it happen. Writing fake reviews doesn't make it true. Right now, it is just false advertising so that when people get here they are incredibly disappointed and feel betrayed. If we turn the ship around, then people can really write those positive reviews you so desperately want to be true. You’ll feel better about yourselves too! Turning us into a third rate body shop and the lowest cost/lowest service/lowest quality, laughing stock of the industry was not the answer. Let’s try a new path and live grounded in reality.

6.) When you fire someone for performance reasons, don’t send out emails that the person is moving on and you’ll remain BFFs and pen pals. We’re adults and know what happened. It’s insulting. It would be nice when you fire one of your own that we know why it happened and we see you’re trying to fix things. Your games at the top set the tone. Right now the tone is like fingernails on a chalk board. You can fix that by trying something new. Be Honest! (that would be a nice battle cry)

7.) In the spirit of telling the truth, please stop sending propaganda emails where benefits are eroded, but it is spun as saving money to grow Heinz. We all know the truth. You are saving money to pay down debt and put into your pockets. There is no growth now, it is all cutting. Every cost cutting stunt where a subsequnt email went out trying to tell us why it was good for us has eroded faith and confidence in leadership. We understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. We don't like it, but we like the dishonesty even more.

8.) We are not a startup. Say that with me, “We are not a Start Up”. Stop treating us that way. That's part of the reason we're in this mess. We have a very complex business that has been in existence for a long time. There were standing processes and relationships that were the cornerstone. Quality was non-negotiable. More importantly, the people were the foundation of our company. Bringing in boatloads of MBAs is not the answer. We aren’t Facebook breaking new ground being run by college students. You need to have experience to run operations. You need to be able to deliver on customer commitments. No experience = No results. Very simple equation that you really messed up. You thought you could let everyone go and replace them with no experience and lower cost. And the answer is… WRONG. You can bring in 50,000 new MBAs and college students and all you’ll wind up with are 50,000 disappointed ex-Heinz employees if things don’t change. Get the experience back and really respect the history of the company instead of the lip service we currently get.

9.) Just because the leadership team sits at the same open tables or manically runs around so people can see them and insincerely glad hand does not make them an in touch and inspiring group with a vision. What is more inspiring is having a truly professional and competent leadership group. Visible plus mediocre/unqualified equals recipe for disaster. That's what we have today. The only thing these guys inspire is a mass exodus out the door. I would feel so much better about this company if our leadership team locked themselves in a separate building all day, but they were wildly competent, dedicated, and cared about the people and the company for the long haul. We don’t need to see them. Wheel them out for special occasions and then put them back in the cellar. I only saw our old CEO a handful of times in almost 10 years, but I used to love working here. Sometimes less is more (especially all the glamour shots on our intra-net page)

10.) If you can’t execute 1-9, then please sell your stake to Berkshire and go back to where you came from.

OR, you can ignore this and do what I’m betting that you’ll do which is why I’m now on the job market - just stick your head in the sand and stay the course, continue to post fake reviews while not fixing the real problems, allow management to abuse people, manipulate results, continue cutting where it is completely illogical, cut corners in product quality, take away the few benefits we have remaining, hire unqualified hacks, take no accountability for your actions, and hang on hoping that you’ll be able to put enough lipstick on this pig to cash out.

The ball is in your court.

Ask Heinz how to ruin a company, I'm sure they will tell you.

Current Employee - Label Op in Fremont, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Label Op in Fremont, OH (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Money and OT are always plentiful.

Cons

Long hours, horrible people beside you

Leave

Challenging but learned lot!

Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick promotions
    Huge bonus
    cool downtown Pittsburgh office
    Ambition is rewarded if backed by results
    Saw the company transform completely in two years from a good place to work to very competitive
    I learned a lot in my two years here. However I was a unique case and the company is no longer marketing centric.

Cons

Private equity owned
    Arbitrary decisions
    Management plays favorites
    Expected to work very long hours

Find employees willingly to work long hours and be on the job 24/7. Needs to be more communication about organizational changes.

Run by Brazilian Teens

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be great- not many positives now

Cons

So much loss of expertise and experience and knowledge has been replaced by Brazilian kids with little if any experience

Give us your tired, your poor, your inexperienced and unqualified...

Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a constant source of new and ever younger friends to make due to the ungodly turn over. Open offices are such a step up from those isolating and non-collaborative cubes and offices. Not having any of those expensive pens, paper, and supplies mean you never have to write anything down! It's Nirvana.

Cons

New Management with no knowledge of the Industry. Coworkers that don't know what to do because the majority have been hired in the past year and have no clue. Zero respect for our people, our partners,our products, or the company's history. Deteriorating customer relationships. Many promotions of people not ready and not qualified. No organization with multiple people working on the exact same tasks. Usually the with tasks.

Luckily any potential employee can read their play book Double Your Profits in Six Months or Less and the make a decision if this is a place you want to work. Please read it and make a decision from there. The reality of the situation is they've taken all the worst aspects of the book, implemented them with the subtleness of a sledgehammer and then layered on management incompetence. That is a recipe for uncontrollable turn over, unlivable hours, and anger and resentment that is boiling over from both old and new employees. From an employees perspective this is the single worst place to work in Pittsburgh.

I think the vote is in on what people think of this place. Almost every original Heinz employee is gone. You can't explain that away as negative people unwilling to change. Look in the mirror. Something else is going on.

You wanted a new company and culture now you got it. Almost everyone is gone and now there is no one to blame but each other. Let the internal finger pointing, blaming, and power struggles begin. The Potemkin Village you've created with the outside world is beginning fall down around you.

Internship Opportunity at Heinz

Former Employee - Finance in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern at H.J. Heinz, I received an immense amount of exposure to the various functions of the finance department. The senior executives were very informative and seemed genuinely excited to answer my questions and offer advice. I was assigned many tasks and special projects that kept me quite busy and applied my educational knowledge. The intern program was fun! All of the interns went out after work for special events (i.e. Pirates baseball games) and got to know each other on a personal level. There was also a promising opportunity within the FLDP (Finance Leadership Development Program).

Cons

In 2013, the company was going through a period of transformation (buyout). Employee morale was quite low. People knew that they would be fired soon (and they were). The CEO attempted to make videos and send them to employees, but that just didn't work. He was a new, foreign face...and could not relate to what current employees were going through. There was a major culture shift.

Management needed to sympathize with employees and find a way to get them more excited about working there.