Heinz Reviews

Updated 17 September, 2014
Updated 17 September, 2014
2.2

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

A real plan to improve this place

Current Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are some people who think the new Heinz and new ownership is doing great and the only thing wrong are those negative people talking around the water cooler. Get rid of them and all would be well. In their minds, that’s how close they are to running the perfect company. I feel the problems are a little deeper. Luckily it can be fixed, and I'll try and give some advice to do just that.

Cons

Right now almost everything is a Con. The place is in a constant state of disarray. I'll use a simple example to show how crazy this place is… Look at the job postings and you’ll see jobs posted as “Future Opportunities". Ever see this before? This means that so many people are quitting that they need to post jobs before people quit to keep people in the pipeline! No joke. It’s that bad.

I don't believe that rants and complaints are the answer. I believe that someone needs ot sit them down and tell them how to fix it. This is my attempt.

Here is a plan that we can call “How to Make those Fake 5 Star Reviews Real in 6 Months or Less” (HR please take notes because I know you’re listening):

1.) Have the guts to look at what you’ve done and admit mistakes. False machismo and claims of a reality and company that isn’t true does not help anyone. It is hurting morale and making more people leave. A simple message from leadership admitting they made mistakes in critical areas like cutting too deep, letting critical people leave, and customer and vendor relationships would go a long way if it was combined with a commitment (a real one this time) that it will be fixed.

2.) Fix it by bringing in people who know the Food industry, people who know the job they’re brought to do, people who want to grow and mentor staff. Fix it by investing in real talent. Not the people you’ve been importing recently. I haven’t seen one good (or dare I say competent) director or associate director brought in from the outside yet. We don’t need more leadership imports from Brazil or whatever non-relevant company or industry who are learning on the job. We need skilled professionals that hit the ground running. You let too many of those people go. Time to get them back.

3.) Start by cleaning out the top management. Get rid of the unqualified people you brought from 3G and the others you hired from the outside that aren’t working. Supply Chain, Sales, and Finance are all in shambles right now because of this. Get them out. Go back to some of the old Heinz leadership and beg them to come back. If they won’t come back (which they shouldn’t unless you get out of their way), then get new leadership from the industry this time. You’re model of hiring people outside the industry without relevant experience is not working. It is crippling us. The leadership is the worst I’ve seen in my career. We've hired director level employees that would not have even been given an interview at Heinz 2 years ago. It’s driving customers and employees away. Plus, you’re treatment of the old leadership in this company was a disgrace. Time to turn the tables on yourselves.

4.) Once leadership is in place, start trying to bring back the talent you lost. You’re not getting it from the outside and old Heinz folks won’t come back if you haven’t made real personnel changes at the top. If you get the right leaders in place, then start courting the people you boldly said you don’t need and let walk out the door. I've talked to people who have left and people loved this place and would come back if leadership was addressed.

5.) Stop posting fake reviews. You created this situation, live with it. Fix it and make it the company that you wish it was. You can’t wish it were so, you need to make it happen. Writing fake reviews doesn't make it true. Right now, it is just false advertising so that when people get here they are incredibly disappointed and feel betrayed. If we turn the ship around, then people can really write those positive reviews you so desperately want to be true. You’ll feel better about yourselves too! Turning us into a third rate body shop and the lowest cost/lowest service/lowest quality, laughing stock of the industry was not the answer. Let’s try a new path and live grounded in reality.

6.) When you fire someone for performance reasons, don’t send out emails that the person is moving on and you’ll remain BFFs and pen pals. We’re adults and know what happened. It’s insulting. It would be nice when you fire one of your own that we know why it happened and we see you’re trying to fix things. Your games at the top set the tone. Right now the tone is like fingernails on a chalk board. You can fix that by trying something new. Be Honest! (that would be a nice battle cry)

7.) In the spirit of telling the truth, please stop sending propaganda emails where benefits are eroded, but it is spun as saving money to grow Heinz. We all know the truth. You are saving money to pay down debt and put into your pockets. There is no growth now, it is all cutting. Every cost cutting stunt where a subsequnt email went out trying to tell us why it was good for us has eroded faith and confidence in leadership. We understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. We don't like it, but we like the dishonesty even more.

8.) We are not a startup. Say that with me, “We are not a Start Up”. Stop treating us that way. That's part of the reason we're in this mess. We have a very complex business that has been in existence for a long time. There were standing processes and relationships that were the cornerstone. Quality was non-negotiable. More importantly, the people were the foundation of our company. Bringing in boatloads of MBAs is not the answer. We aren’t Facebook breaking new ground being run by college students. You need to have experience to run operations. You need to be able to deliver on customer commitments. No experience = No results. Very simple equation that you really messed up. You thought you could let everyone go and replace them with no experience and lower cost. And the answer is… WRONG. You can bring in 50,000 new MBAs and college students and all you’ll wind up with are 50,000 disappointed ex-Heinz employees if things don’t change. Get the experience back and really respect the history of the company instead of the lip service we currently get.

9.) Just because the leadership team sits at the same open tables or manically runs around so people can see them and insincerely glad hand does not make them an in touch and inspiring group with a vision. What is more inspiring is having a truly professional and competent leadership group. Visible plus mediocre/unqualified equals recipe for disaster. That's what we have today. The only thing these guys inspire is a mass exodus out the door. I would feel so much better about this company if our leadership team locked themselves in a separate building all day, but they were wildly competent, dedicated, and cared about the people and the company for the long haul. We don’t need to see them. Wheel them out for special occasions and then put them back in the cellar. I only saw our old CEO a handful of times in almost 10 years, but I used to love working here. Sometimes less is more (especially all the glamour shots on our intra-net page)

10.) If you can’t execute 1-9, then please sell your stake to Berkshire and go back to where you came from.

OR, you can ignore this and do what I’m betting that you’ll do which is why I’m now on the job market - just stick your head in the sand and stay the course, continue to post fake reviews while not fixing the real problems, allow management to abuse people, manipulate results, continue cutting where it is completely illogical, cut corners in product quality, take away the few benefits we have remaining, hire unqualified hacks, take no accountability for your actions, and hang on hoping that you’ll be able to put enough lipstick on this pig to cash out.

The ball is in your court.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are none anymore. A shell of the once great company that Henry Heinz built.

Cons

Went from a collaborative culture where the customer comes first to a cutthroat, cost driven company. There is no team anymore. All the talent was laid off, has left or is looking to leave. People being promoted into manager, director positions in order to keep them from leaving.

Sell to someone who will run it right

Company planted reviews reveal how bad things are....

Current Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Heinz used to be a great place to work. Now, it's a joke, but if you need a job and aren't picky about low pay, no work life balance and terrible benefits, this may be the place for you.

Cons

If you read the recent five-star reviews, they all have the same buzzwords - mainly because they are all written by Heinz HR. It's an open secret that Glassdoor reviews are harming HR's ability to keep up with the hiring necessary to replace the constant outflow of employees. It is so bad that people are quitting after only a week or two on the job - but the five star reviews keep spouting lines about "meritocracy" and "exciting culture." The truth is it IS an exciting culture because you never know when you are going to get screamed at by a manager or when a long-time employee is walked off property by security because they dared to question some of the unethical things that the new management is doing. Heinz has cut all the fat as well as all the talented, tenured employees who made the company run. Anyone who is left with any experience is most likely looking for a new job.

There's no advice that management would take. They are set on following their playbook and do not care for the long term consequences to the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sad to see what has happened to a former USA owned company.

I have been working at Heinz

Pros

Flex hours, working one day at home and knowing that you work for a company who produces some of the best products in the world.

Cons

Horrible working environment--open floor with tables, not even cubes and therefore very distracting and noisy; employees are unhappy, stressed and over worked partially due to the high turnover and influx of temporary and new employees all cross training..

Better, stronger, faster.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ownership, accountability, leaders willing to take risk, if you stick around, you'll get promoted by default, the younger you are - the more likely you will be able to keep up with the changes and pace, being 6 months in a role can make you the most senior person on a team.

Cons

Lack of CPG knowledge, executing technology platform changes without the proper up front work (SAP was a nightmare and still is), increased workload for everyone given lay offs and struggling to hire talent, poor/no retention tactics, your ideas aren't appreciated - only following orders as questions aren't encouraged unless you want to look like someone who is not supportive, promotions with title and responsibility increases, but no matching compensation increase, staying in hotels that you would not stay on your own dime in fear of your safety given the rate caps

Heinz needs to acquire healthier brands and understand the future landscape of the CPG industry. Their participation in declining categories (both in terms of consumption and households) is not the recipe of success. When this company goes public again, the accounting tricks and horrible comp year will be smoke and mirrors on the balance sheet as the cost cutting is not sustainable.

Also, use the pronoun "she" versus "he" ALWAYS. The majority of 3G employees now Heinz are Brazilian men and they have a hard time acknowledging women in the workplace.

Who are these people?

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The old Heinz was like a family - it definitely had its issues and problems, but we all loved working there. You can see from the real posts on here how much people cared about that place and its brands. It is amazing to me, now working at a new company (which is also very highly respected), how good Heinz was at what we did and how well run the company was. This new Heinz is an embarassment to all the hardworking people that made the old Heinz what it was.

Cons

It is unbelieveable to me how little these people know about running a company, let alone a CPG company. They basically fired anyone who knew how to run the company and hired minions to run their errands or meaningless reports and calls. There is definitely some questionable actions taking place there that borders on illegal and is definitely unethical. Is this what the Heinz Board wanted for this treasured Pittsburgh proud company? Is this what H.J. Heinz would have wanted for this family started business? These people don't even know what Gravy is! The Chief Marketing Officer had to ask why we had so much inventory of this product in October and wanted us to shutdown the factory, yet he had no idea what the product was. We had to explain Thanksgiving to him. And he is going to help grow the company how?

They promise big salaries and bonuses, ok this may be true. Divide this big salary by the hours you are working, you would be making more per hour if you went to McDonalds. Companies HR departments are onto Heinz and their fake titles and salaries - so tread lightly when going to a new job - anything within the past year will not be considered.

Stooping to low levels such as posting fake positive reviews is sickening to me. Who would want to work for a company like this?! Not providing pens or paper for your employees to do their jobs is assanine. Is this what Warren Buffet thinks is a good business plan? I mean seriously, who are these people. This is not Brazil and cannot be run like workplaces there. This is America where we have options, we don't need to wear uniforms to work, and we place more value on ourselves than to be beaten down and told we should feel lucky to have a job.

Keep doing what you are doing. You will tank this company and we will read about it.

Internship Opportunity at Heinz

Former Employee - Finance  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz as an intern for less than a year

Pros

As an intern at H.J. Heinz, I received an immense amount of exposure to the various functions of the finance department. The senior executives were very informative and seemed genuinely excited to answer my questions and offer advice. I was assigned many tasks and special projects that kept me quite busy and applied my educational knowledge. The intern program was fun! All of the interns went out after work for special events (i.e. Pirates baseball games) and got to know each other on a personal level. There was also a promising opportunity within the FLDP (Finance Leadership Development Program).

Cons

In 2013, the company was going through a period of transformation (buyout). Employee morale was quite low. People knew that they would be fired soon (and they were). The CEO attempted to make videos and send them to employees, but that just didn't work. He was a new, foreign face...and could not relate to what current employees were going through. There was a major culture shift.

Management needed to sympathize with employees and find a way to get them more excited about working there.

Let's Go Grow? HEINZ!

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company is not as bad as some of the reviews here would have you believe. It's not a great place to work, but neither is it a terrible place to work. Let's face it, we'd grown fat and complacent under Bill Johnson's leadership. 3G have shaken things up and in a lot of ways made things better. I admire some of the things they do, such as challenge costs constantly, rather than the boom and bust budget cycles we had previously. I've also met Bernardo twice in 12 months after working previously for 20 years without meeting Johnson, or any of his direct reports. I like the fact that the company is younger and more vibrant than it was. So, not all bad...

Cons

But.... there is more bad than good in this company. The "Boys From Brazil" seem to run their own form of apartheid in Heinz. If you're not under 35, Brazilian and worked previously for ALL there's little to no chance you'll be getting a senior role in Heinz. I am not sure how qualified someone is to be a Zone President when they've barely started shaving. However, it's the total lack of respect for individuals that makes this a poor place to work. You are only a number to 3G. Your skills, ability to perform your job, track record or loyalty are not valued. Experience has been replaced by cheap, naive graduates.

Without doubt though, the worst thing 3G has brought to Heinz is the infamous "Battle Cry". Fist pumping and chanting "Let's Go Grow? Heinz!" has made us a laughing stock among our competitors. It's not even proper English. What on earth is it even supposed to mean? Henry Heinz will be rolling in his grave.

It's all become a bit "Animal Farm" really. We constantly hear how much better things now are under the new management, yet we all work longer, harder and in worse conditions for the same money.

Great brands, smart hard working people and huge potential for rapid growth and advancement.

Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Brand Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a true meritocracy, where all objectives are transparently shared, and you are rewarded and promoted based on your results. Smart people and tight teams who support me so we all win together. Demanding but rewarding environment to rise fast.

Cons

All goals are fixed and out in the open, so if your having a bad year, there's nowhere to hide. The huge plus is, you're not carrying any dead weight from slackers not applying themselves.

I've been extremely impressed with leadership, the VP's and Directors are all good, smart people who I respect. The Heinz training workshops are great, and the social events are valuable too, I'd just ask to keep going even further in those directions with more celebrations of our achievements.

Progressive.

I have been working at Heinz full-time

Pros

The opportunities that are available

Cons

very poor work life balance

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!