Heinz

Updated 26 November, 2014
Updated 26 November, 2014
2.1

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 11 reviews)

• The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work (in 33 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

thought it can't get worse

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

if you are sacrificing your private life totally you have great career prospects and will be passed through the organisation quickly to fill the plenty vacancies left by disgruntled employees.

Cons

one of the latest news letters was referring to making choices other people might perceive as sacrifices, so that we can write Heinz history.
    What 'choices' are they expecting? I already work 12 hours a day, hardly see my family, never see my friends. Where is the limit of the choices expected of us? Women to chose not to have children so that they can spend more time in the business? Not visiting our ill grandmother? Ruining our marriages through 'choices'?

Matt, Marcos,Nigel, Jan, Julien, Anne - please let us know what 'choices' you want us to make please. At least that way I can prepare myself for which part of my private life is going to be ruined.

This place went from good to mediocre

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Faster pace than it used to be, still a lot of nice and smart colleagues but for how long?

Cons

Where to start? Zero respect or care for their people, stupid cost cutting measures and a morale that goes lower every day. I get calls from ex-colleagues every week hopelessly looking for opportunities outside. Apart from all this, the worst is that 3G have put Brazilians in every key position and 90% of them lack any background and would therefore not be hired in ANY other FMCG. Its clear favoritism here... Arrogance and shouting is the norm and every person with a brain will leave eventually

Put again the right people in the key jobs and turn the place around. Here in the US everything looks so grim as you have screwed up the entire supply chain, not paying the bonus and you can close the place

HR

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None, I can't really tell and explain something positive

Cons

Only money and savings matters

Get out

Who needs benefits or a work/life balance when you have a Battle Cry?

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Heinz remains an iconic brand whose flagship product is the gold standard against which other ketchups are judged. Historically, it was a CPG company that fought above its weight-class, largely due to the people who drove quality and innovation. It was an exciting company that was able to attract top industry talent.

Cons

3G has successfully devolved a fun, challenging work environment into a dystopian hell-scape that would fit into an Orwell novel. Corporate double-speak is at an all-time high, employees fear being fired constantly (while vetting out their resumes quietly to colleagues who have found work in greener pastures), and the new Heinz Battle Cry ™ is bleated in every meeting to rouse the workers into accepting the Exciting New Culture ™ and striving towards Meritocracy ™ while they watch helplessly as their paychecks are whittled away by disappearing benefits and their work/life balance is imploded by the new reality of the hours they must spend at work.

3G/Berkshire Hathaway have essentially taken a lean public company, taken it private, and saddled it with an extraordinary amount of debt with no clear path to repayment. The cost cutting measures – the savings in electricity from the lack of office mini-fridges, the reams of paper saved with copier lockdowns, the high tenure/high pay employees replaced by low-cost temps, the factory closures – aren’t enough. The renegotiating of freight contracts backfired when the freight companies simply stopped moving Heinz’s products from the distribution centers to the customers. The change in payment terms to vendors backfired when the vendors simply stopped providing the goods and services and sent Heinz to third-party collections. The deep cuts to R&D and marketing have backfired in the form of lower sales and customers leaving Heinz for competitors. The employee layoffs and voluntary resignation program have backfired: employees with experience and a true love of Heinz have left (many have gone to competitors), and they have been replaced by the young, the inexperienced, and the cheap. And replacing the executives with cronies from Brazil has backfired – they don’t understand why, for example, Heinz would make a lot of gravy before the month of November.

The current state of Heinz is this: as another review eloquently stated, employees have gone from being an asset to a cost. 3G will squeeze every cent they can from an employee, and once they are used up, they toss them out and hire a new one. Entire levels have been removed from the organization, but none of the work has been removed. This means that employees are working ten, eleven, or twelve hour days every day. They are working evenings, early mornings, weekends, and holidays. The work they are doing is not value-added – it’s busy-work and double work because the systems that 3G have implemented are terrible and broken. Employees are no longer given goals or performance reviews; instead, meritocracy states that good ideas and hard work will get you promoted. However, if all you are doing every day is updating a daily dashboard and pleading with irate vendors to not cut off service, you have no time to innovate or improve systems. Further, because of the overwhelming workload, you can’t rely on your manager to help and you can’t rely on your cross-functional team to help. Despite the unifying efforts of the Heinz Battle Cry ™, morale is at an all-time low and teamwork is a joke.

Many of the positive reviews here (allegedly company-planted) use buzzwords praising the new young culture that embraces change. It is insulting to have it stated that the reason people are disgruntled is because they cannot deal with the changes. Heinz existed for well over a hundred years before 3G and their ilk came in, and the company passed its centennial mark because of employees’ ability to embrace change and be innovative thinkers. I believe that most of the positive reviews are company-planted since they are as tone-deaf as anything coming out of the Heinz Human Resources department lately. The company can continue buying into their buzzwords – the exciting culture, the meritocracy – but they do so at their own peril. Ignoring the real problems they are facing on all fronts – with their employees, with their vendors, and (most importantly) with their customers – will be Heinz’ downfall, and all the battle cry yelling won’t help.

There is no advice that Heinz will take from me. I would only hope that 3G and Berkshire Hathaway finish up their project quickly. No one likes to see a beloved company in its long, inevitable march to the grave. Sell the assets, sell the brands, sell the furniture, make your profit, and move on to the next victim (sorry Tim Horton’s – loved your TimBits).

Unclear of strategy and future - still feeling the affects of too much change at once

Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

New culture is definitely willing to take risk & change. The pendulum has definitely swung from the old Heinz that was a bit too conservative and slow with it's decision making process & layers of approval. Obviously this can be a good thing if used wisely - unfortunately this new trait has been Management's downfall as well.

Cons

Could write several pages on the ways their arrogance and forcefulness to take risk & drive change has also lead to extremely poor culture and work environment. Too many new people starting and no one is left to do the teaching - I agree you need new blood, fresh ideas, but some fundamental transfer knowledge has to occur in order to build momentum the right way. Management has ignored this and as a result has felt the pain. Departments like Supply Chain, Finance and Marketing are at the brunt of this transition and continue to see chaos, long hours, unreasonable demands put upon them with the number of people with institutional knowledge leaving each day. Also - the new people become frustrated because there is chaos (lack of leadership / direction) and it's expected that you will work 60+ hours a week just to stay afloat (on meaningless detail to keep this micromanaged).

Think about your culture more - you are coming up with a lot of window dressing to make folks think it's a good environment to work in - but trust is your biggest issue. Things like your Meritocracy message is a joke, people see thru this. Certain areas are getting hammered with unclear direction - Supply Chain, Finance - constant change of course and new ways of working that are simply being drilled down to the rank & file to follow and change daily, which only results in them reinventing their job each day & becoming frustrated with all the new process changes & demands being put on them. Not to mention there is no forgiveness for having a lack of resources....the expectation is get it done (even if 1/2 of your department is gone).

Can I give negative stars

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Resume builder. More words to fill this space. Truly, there are no pros. So sad.

Cons

HR posting fake 5 star reviews on Glassdoor!Benefits reduced. Morale terrible. No work/life balance. RUN!

Owners: Sell your shares and go home. You are ruining this piece of Pittsburgh and American tradition.

Bad Environment, Even Worse Career Move

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's really hard to think of any pros. If there are any, they will soon be taken away. At the end of this year they are taking away the employee parking lot for us employees downtown. Can't wait to spend more money on parking to work at this place!

Cons

Another retailer just dropped one of our to brands due to poor service levels. This is becoming a frequent occurrence and the organization has just become numb to this type of news.

Just please get it over with. Get your return on gutting this company and go.

I Feel Obliged To Write A Review...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne (Australia)

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

Now, there are very few. There were some very talented people, who were excellent to work with. However due to 3G's ownership most have left - either through resignation or redundancy.

Cons

To start off I must declare I have recently left Heinz (voluntarily). I was never planning to write a review on here, but after hearing of more redundancies today I feel obliged to warn my fellow FMCG colleagues in Melbourne before they consider applying for a job at Heinz (although I would say its common industry knowledge anyhow).

My watch outs:

1. The initial round of cost cutting post the 3G buyout was probably justifiable, but the second round is mind-boggling. To the point where I can't fathom how anyone can do their jobs there... Unless they are prepared to work 18 hours a day... However that suits the 3G philosophy. To give you an idea Heinz used to fill 2 and a half floors in Freshwater Place - now it could easily fit into 3/4 of one floor.

2. The new Senior Management have no Australian experience - the new MD no FMCG experience (investment banker). Not a major issue in itself but then why would you make redundant all your experienced senior staff? It's headless chicken stuff.... There is a MAJOR knowledge gap now.

3. There is no culture in the place. None....

4. My team was brought into a room two months ago to be told there was to be no more restructuring after the Senior Exec team were cut. However that has proven to be a massive lie. End result = zero trust in senior management.

5. The Grad recruitment drive.... Apparently 25 are starting early next year, however I have no idea who will mentor/train them. Rumour is that's why there's a recruitment freeze - the grads will fill the void. My advice to graduates thinking about joining... You need a stable environment to develop into your careers - not to be thrown into the deep end with no one to turn to.

There are some other minor ones such as having zero benefits - even the staff shop disappeared never to return. End of the day people at Heinz are a cost on the balance sheet - not an asset, and that's the main reason I left....

There are plenty of other alternatives to working at Heinz in Melbourne... You'll need someone to help shift those boxes...

Brazilian leaders don't listen

I worked at Heinz full-time

Pros

None anymore since 3G bought the company

Cons

Opinions - not wanted unless you are brazilan

Sell the company as soon as you can.

The Worst Experience That a Minority Employee Can Have in The U.S.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Heinz full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid holidays. Good health benefits.

Cons

Extreme lack of diversity. Poor treatment of employees. Lack of collaborative support. Tons of backstabbing. No opportunities for advancement

I don't even know where to start!