Heinz

www.heinz.com

Heinz Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros
  • The company used to be a great people company with plenty of room for room for advancement (in 22 reviews)

• Just read the reviews, Brazilians do not believe in work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest complaint I hear is about the lack of work life balance at Heinz (in 26 reviews)

• All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Fox News Review (Fair and Balanced...)

Manager (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThere are some pros around here. There are plenty of opportunities to advance. I know multiple people who have been thrust into new and higher level positions because of all the other people leaving. Granted these people are generally less experienced and less capable than their replacements, but if you're here and can tough it out there is opportunity. There is also the unique experience to be gained of reinventing a company that has already been invented for over a century. It's a bit like Columbus "Discovering" America when the Indians were here for centuries prior. Most all of the people who actually know how to run the business are gone so it is like Groundhog day where people are reliving all of the lessons that people had learned decades ago. So basically you can feel like you've made massive breakthroughs and incredible discoveries when in fact the adults that ran this business prior to 3G already had all of these processes and procedures in place (but hey, at least you can feel good about yourself).

You also get to hang out with a lot of 20 somethings and Brazilian that really have no clue what is going on but act like they do. So if you know anything about the CPG business or business at all you can be the smartest person in the room by a light year.

ConsI really tried to stick it out and see the changes through. I've kept telling myself it would get better, it HAS to get better. Sad thing happened on the way to getting better, it has just kept getting worse. I don't think it will ever get better. All of the negatives you read on this board are true. Work life balance is terrible. I know many people with major family issues from working at this place. Anyone with a family should stay away unless you really do not like them. The new ownership is cheap beyond compare. We literally had plastic utensils taken out of the kitchens to save a couple hundred dollars a year, mangers have to buy their own supplies and hoard them because you can't get supplies without going to the supply room at the appointed hour and then signing out basics such as pens and tablets, it is truly humiliating.

That's the minor stuff... the culture is completely twisted. There is lip service to customers and being the best food company, but it stops there. It is just lip service. All focus is cutting costs at all expense and manipulation of numbers to meet artificial expectations. The strategy seems to be to cut as much as possible from the bottom line with no top line growth. They are holding on with both hands trying to get this company public to make a ton of money regardless of the desolate wasteland that they will leave. The lack of vision is almost mind boggling. We have customers pulling major promotions, holding us in breach of contract, and we even have had the US military tell us we were hurting troops and morale of the military due to our poor performance as a company. We are a ketchup company that is lucky to sell ketchup on a good day when we aren't cutting massive amounts of ketchup from customer orders. Fill rates are terrible, on time delivery is even worse, and everywhere you look we are a sinking ship.

The brilliant part of this is that you would never know it by listening to the propaganda masters at the top. They spin and tell half truths to cover actual performance. Then they beat on lower level employees to get results. Unfortunately for the lower levels, they don't have ANY idea what they should be doing so they just try their best to get things done, but it's never enough or even directionally correct. We have people across the organization all with their own agendas trying to do the right things, but all working against each other. The relationship between sales and supply chain is down right hostile, and the relationship between customers and Heinz is basically at a boiling point.

The other con is all the "talent" they are brining in... We let some of the best people in the CPG industry go and we have replacement them with the JV squad. We literally are brining in boat loads of people with no experience in CPG and it is showing. We have people that have run railroads, but not a single soul that knows how to run a food company. I have always been a proponent of taking the best available athlete for a position, but that only works when you are surrounded by a solid team and can grow in to that position. When you have a team of only wide receivers trying to cover all the positions including offensive line, you're going to get run over when you meet a real balanced team, and that is what we have today. A group of people with zero experience in our industry making decisions that wouldn't work in any industry let alone the food industry playing a game that they don't even know the rules. If you listen to leadership all you need is people who have the right attitude and want to work and we can excel. That may work at a railroad which is a very simple operation in comparison, but it doesn't work here, you need the blend of skill players and linemen all working together to get the team across the goal line. Right now we have a team of equipment managers, water boys, and professional table tennis players who can't even put their helmets on straight.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is none. They don't care, seriously don't care. Look at all the open positions on Glassdoor at Heinz. This isn't a growing company, we are a shrinking company. You do not have this many open positions unless the rot has grown to epic proportions which is our current state. No one in their right minds would ever let their company get to this position unless they did not care about the current or future state of the organization. They only care about making a couple of bucks at the expense of one of the greatest brands in the history of the US.

The only advice I would love to give is to Warren Buffet and his cronies... Please come to Pittsburgh and see what you've unleashed. Please talk to the people and see the damage your partners have caused. Please talk to our customers and see the embarrassment that is now Heinz. Please see all of this. Open your eyes, it is not worth the couple of dollars you are trying to make to destroy this brand. If you are really the respected business person that the public has been led to believe you are, please OPEN YOUR EYES TO THIS TRAIN WRECK AND COME IN HERE AND GET US SOME SUPPORT. The numbers you see are not accurate. Customers are leaving us. People's lives have been ruined by these people from 3G running this company. For what? This is not a company or people you want to partner with now or future deals. Unless all that is written about Warren and Berkshire is BS then go right ahead and partner with these people in the future and you will ultimately get burned.

Be careful of reviews

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsPrior to Feb 2013, there were plenty to list. Now, there's very little if any. Yes, advancement is very quick, but mostly because higher level employees have left the company recently. Sure, the salary and bonuses MAY be lucrative but you know what they say, 35% of zero is still zero. The company is damaging relationships with its customers and it will only be a matter of time before the unthinkable happens.

ConsFor those looking to work at this company and are reading the reviews on this site, please be careful of reviews that list the company as a great one to work for. These elaborate reviews with numerous buzzwords may be done by their HR team. I have personally witnessed several conversations with HR saying that Glass Door reviews were hurting their recruitment. However, if you have no life or family and don't mind the 18 hour work days, then perhaps this is the place for you. GOOD LUCK! It's tough to end hunger when you can't get the product out the door.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out before you ruin more lives

executive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbrand recognition is the only upside

Constoo many to list. like a bad movie.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I wish it were better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNot many anymore. When I started here I was so impressed at how happy people were to be working for this iconic company. In the last year that has changed 180 degrees.

ConsPeople are treated like underlings at best. The new owners have started dismantling this company bit by bit, slashing bodies everywhere. It's to the point where distributors are asking why we still work here. Customers are angry, that's putting it mildly, that we are a ketchup company and can not deliver ketchup. It's just a sad sight.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is none because they would not listen anyway.

Not good place for women

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBrands are indestructible and survive almost everything - so far anyway.

ConsFocus on cost cutting overwhelming and at times irrational. No values or respect for people. Leadership in UK amateur.

Used to be a great place to work

ProsContinuously challenging; those who are still around are great employees who really care about the business and continue to work hard despite the current restraints. Promises of larger compensation, but few believe this promise will be honored.

ConsNo work life balance, not a place for those with families or wanting to work less than 12 hours a day. Huge staff reductions to an already lean business, responsibility and project increases are weekly. Expectations of huge results with unrealistic timelines, and also without the supplies and equipment needed to implement the project requests. Most people do the job of 3 or more employees as they are not filling management or supervisor positions of those who left the company. Budget reductions to the point where people have to purchase their own basic supplies, such as highlighters and notepads.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the slogans. It is not helping the company. All those with knowledge were either let go or have left the business, so start learning about the products and way of life outside the corporate office walls.

They implemented a voluntary resignation program.

Senior Analyst (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsThey implemented a voluntary resignation program. Think about that. The employees wouldn't drink the koolaid so they had to pay people to quit so they could bring in employes that don't know the difference.

ConsIf you're job doesn't generate revenue you are a cost to the company and you will be outsourced.

Shadow of a once great company

Anonymous (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsPaychecks don’t bounce (yet). If you hate your family you won’t have to see them much. You gain the cultural understanding of what it is like to work in a Brazilian sweatshop. You get very acquainted with your co-workers and sometimes their body odors since you are all 2 feet away from each other at essentially picnic tables. You don’t have to worry about benefits being taken away, since there aren’t any left. Since they are taking away the employee parking lot, you will have the joy of public transportation (which is divine I assure you), actually it prepares you a bit for your seating arrangement once you get to work. You have multitudes of bosses at various levels (mostly ones who have been with the company less than 6 months and have no clue what you actually do) constantly staring over your shoulder and beating you over the head to get things done yesterday. You get to be in lovely downtown Pittsburgh, which I used to list as the one con to working at Heinz, now it is the highlight.

ConsNow the bad news. Nearly all talent and knowledge has left or is in the process of leaving the company. Heinz middle management to executive management has mostly been replaced with Brazilians that know nothing about the business and brand, little about the industry and couldn’t give a crap about employees or the history of a once proud company. The new owners want to take all budgets, resources and people away from the managers to save money and then somehow demand better results. The morale at Heinz is horrible, everyone I knew either left or is trying to leave. There are a few people left that are really trying hard to believe the lies and justify to themselves that it is a good decision to stick it out. After how I saw them treat truly valuable employees that had dedicated their lives to the company those few true believers that are still left are going to be in for a rude awakening at some point. I would advise anyone looking into employment at Heinz, DON’T, at least while these owners are still in charge. I used to be proud to say that I worked at Heinz, by the time I left I just felt embarrassed to be associated with a company that could treat people so horribly. RIP Heinz.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell to owners that actually care about more than how much money they can haul back to Brazil and do Pittsburgh and the employees a favor.

Former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHeinz stock will be good to own once it is back on the exchange. If it goes the way of BUD and BKW, then HNZ will be nice to own.

ConsNice company to own, but a terrible company to work for. They talk about Meritocracy, but it is not really based on merit. The truth is they would rather pay a younger, somewhat capable person 60% of an experienced, fully capable person. The Executives are more than willing to accept the chaos, inefficiency, and poor results of the decisions for short term profits. For the business, it does impact the bottom line quickly and makes this a good play on the stock market over the next few years, but it makes it a lousy place for a career. If you are young, you should join the company . You will be exposed to challenges that normally you wouldn't have a chance at for years. If you are 30+ stay away unless you are an executive. 40+ forget it at any level. Sales are down but profits are up. This trend will continue. All of the great marketing people were run off -- too old and expensive. Same is true with R&D. The transportation department is an absolute train wreck. While the corporation has put a premium on managing paper, color printing, and got rid of refrigerators , there are days when production lines are down because "Heinz Transportation" can't hit commitments. They have run off all of the experienced people in this department as well -- too old an expensive. Overall though, I think the executives are happy as the inefficiency and chaos has been offset by the fewer and lower salaries. It is a different type of management to be sure, but it works quite well for short term results.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing -- keep doing what you are doing as your methods will produce great short term results and make the future stock holders, Warren Buffet and 3G a lot of money. I will not give advice to help the culture or the employees as that would be laughable. You have made it clear many times over that you do not care about the people working for you.

Used to be a good place to work

Quality Assurance Technologist (Current Employee) Warrendale, PA (US)

ProsExpirience and looks good on a resume

ConsLess and less opportuinities available for advancment

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they dont change their approach to employment pretty soon all knowledgable employees will end up leaving

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!