Heinz
www.heinz.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Heinz Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros:
  • "Great people, great atmosphere, great benefits, excellent products, great exposure"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Excellent working environment, nice supporting colleagues, very understanding about work-life balance"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work"
    in 20 reviews
  • "All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

I was pressured to post a "positive" review here.

Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

ProsMany good employees here trying to hang on through this turmoil.

ConsMany of us have been pressured to post a positive review here. It was very much implied that anyone posting positive reviews will help your career. What a crock!

I have been reserving judgement on the new all Portuguese male management team. To be honest this is no place for a young person trying to build experience. The way business is conducted here is not something that will add value to your background. Having Heinz on your resume will be the equivalent of having Enron on your resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is very obvious you will not listen to anything we have to say. Many of us who are recent college grads will be moving on.

Avoid at all costs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz

ProsGood brand name in the CPG and FS industry, well known with customers and an in demand product.

ConsLack of innovative products and poor marketing/product launches. Customer service is an absolute joke. Avoid at all costs. Company does not care about advancing employees or assisting current employees find alternate positions. All about the bottom line, could care less about the happiness of their employees.

Gotta get those numbers!!!

I have been working at Heinz

ProsThis job marginally better than collecting unemployment. The union employees are the only reason I have not quit yet. If you are single and have no life apply now!

ConsThe only thing important is the amount of product made each day. Not working conditions, or how much time you have between shifts. Pay is only $10 for the first four years!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you pay your employees better they will work harder.

Take the money and run

Operator (Current Employee)
Turnhout, Antwerp (Belgium)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat guys to work with.

ConsClosing a modern, profitable plant : only idiots do things like that.

Advice to Senior Management3G : get the hell out of Heinz.

Glad I got out

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Penn Pitt, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the smartest people I have ever worked with
Dedicated sales force
International assignments available

ConsSlow and avoidance to change
Not much of a support system from the manager
Senior management short sighted

Advice to Senior ManagementVery happy to have left on my own accord - as so many of my co-workers were dropped either in a large layoff or the major cutting that happened with the takeover. One of the biggest things I didn't get to see was your NEVER LET AN EMPLOYEE FAIL policy. It was what drew me to the company, but what I actually saw was try and make an employee fail at every opportunity you can. Little to no training in the field I was working in. No interest in change even though you were losing against competition on a regular basis. Why roll out plans only to cancel them all after the first quarter numbers come in? This creates a great deal of customer irritation of not being able to follow through. The "360" review process leaves little to be admired when it's always a one way street. Hardest place I ever worked with the least results. There is happiness after Heinz.

Great Place

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, great benefits, excellent products, great exposure. My manager was excellent. He afforded me a great deal of latitude and I was empowered to develop myself and my career.

Cons3G capital. They came in and gutted the place. Heinz went from a vibrant collaborative company with excellent resources. 3G changed all that. The company is now cut to the bone. Shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut too deep. The buyout by Berkshire and 3G was supposed to elevate the company. Instead you are making things more difficult.

Not for the faint of heart, but for the courageous of spirit

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTransparency, consistency of message and absolute understanding of what's expected of you. Is it always easy? No. Is it always the road that you would choose or decision you would make? No. It is absolutely about working hard, delivering your results and seeing the payoff.

Having worked for Heinz before the acquisition I can count the number of times that our former CEO made time for "the commoners" on one hand. Our current CEO is very much engrained in every aspect of the business. He is accessible and makes the time to talk to employees. He does not shy away from, or make excuses for, the high expectations that he has of us. Who wouldn't want to be a part of an organization where mediocracy is not okay?

Things have changed, and quite frankly they needed to change. We weren't winning in the marketplace or differentiating ourselves as an employer of choice. We were middle of the pack. I would rather be a part of an organization that is trying to win than one that settles for the crumbs.

Those employees who are yearning for the "good old days" are looking at a past different than what I experienced. I know that I am a part of something big - something great. With any change there is doubt and vulnerability, but if you don't try you never know if you can win.

ConsSome of the tools brought from 3G have the right intent, but the execution wasn't adjusted for our organization. The cut and paste philosophy doesn't always work and can actually have an unintended impact on the employees - make us feel like you're creating tools, policies and procedures that work for us, our company, our industry. A little care in implementation and communication goes a long way.

There is still jockeying for position among some of our leaders which turns into name dropping as an influencing tactic. In the true spirit of ownership, ideas and decisions should be made based on their merit, not relationships.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to walk the halls. Treat each interaction with employees as an opportunity to re-recruit the talented team who wants to be here. As leaders, you are constantly evaluating the health of the organization and the caliber of our talent. As employees we are doing the same based on your leadership, your communication and your ability to win. Don't expect us to follow - lead us.

Good company but a suffocating environment for creativity, flexibility, growth and vision

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOperate at highest ethical standards. Have some very bright, hard working and inspiring people among the teams. Offer limitless opportunities to challenge oneself and valuable experience for anybody who wants to learn and improve in the industry.

ConsVery poor balance between work and life. Low recognition of achievements. Lack of clarity and guidance when it comes to planning. Not encouraging innovation and talent growth enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage people more. Make reward as important as criticism when it comes to performance. Provide clear and steady lines for planning. Give long term vision that people can relate to and not vision measured in currency.

Glassturfing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIt was once a great company.

ConsMonth after month of withering Glassdoor reviews and all of a sudden five people, within the span of 10 days (the five reviews starting March 4th), have to lend their voice to how great Heinz has been since 3G took over. This is so clearly a move by Heinz management to bump up their horrible ratings.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is easy to make a profit when you selling off assets but you can only do that for so long. Try to focus on increasing revenue.

Amazing Employees

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I began working at Heinz, I took immediate note of how political the company was. It was run just like an "Old Boys Club." I would attend networking events with executives, and find that they were all tall white men with gray hair. Diversity was an absolute joke. There were also a lot of employees who spent more time gossiping than completing actual work.

Post acquisition, I experienced something vastly different. The fear of mass layoffs triggered a change in culture. Employees spoke more freely about outside job prospects, their like/dislike for how management was running the company, as well as how the brands were actually run. In my opinion, those employees who have stuck around during the last 9 months have developed a bond unlike what is normally seen in the traditional corporate world.

To Prospective Employees:
If you are young, eager to learn, make your "mark," and learn from some of the smartest most competent people in the CPG game, Heinz should absolutely be at the top of your potential employers list. There is ample opportunity for growth, through large responsibility scopes, access to executives, and honestly, being able to witness first hand how 3G Capital manages a company. Heinz is also a fairly "young and hip" workforce. It is no Google or Facebook, but most of the employees are in touch with what is "cool" and are willing to share a drink at happy hour after a long day of work.

There are currently a few executives, 3G placed as well as some "old Heinz" folk, who are some of the smartest people in the industry. Being able to work side by side with those people is a true blessing for someone who is looking to develop their skillsets.

You must must must be able to speak up if you current work/are considering working at Heinz. Each employee is encouraged to take on an ownership mentality. If you are gusty, smart, and use data to drive decisions, you will undoubtedly succeed.

ConsHeinz is not the place to work if you view work, as, well, just that. The new culture promotes HARD work, and that doesn't mean 9-5 hours are required, but its hard to excel when you are surrounded by people who will outwork you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some amazingly talented "old Heinz" employees that are being overlooked and extremely undercompensated. Before hiring any more investment bankers who don't fully grasp the business model and paying them hefty salaries, make sure you promote those from within and are willing to work hard. They already have the relationships in place to get the work done, and the know how to get it done correct.

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!

Heinz Videos

Heinz – Why Work for Us?

The H.J. Heinz Company, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been producing high-quality foods for 145 years. Famous for our iconic brands on all continents, Heinz provides delicious, nutritious and convenient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heinz reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Heinz CEO Bernardo Hees . All 212 reviews are posted anonymously by Heinz employees.