Heinz
www.heinz.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

Heinz Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Bernardo Hees

Pros:
  • "A lot of great people who are trying to do the right thing"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Heinz had many great brands with so much potential"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work/life balance can be a challenge depending on the department in which you work"
    in 14 reviews
  • "All company communication is about cost cutting under the guise of growing the business"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Place

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, great atmosphere, great benefits, excellent products, great exposure. My manager was excellent. He afforded me a great deal of latitude and I was empowered to develop myself and my career.

Cons3G capital. They came in and gutted the place. Heinz went from a vibrant collaborative company with excellent resources. 3G changed all that. The company is now cut to the bone. Shame.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not cut too deep. The buyout by Berkshire and 3G was supposed to elevate the company. Instead you are making things more difficult.

Not your typical entry-level job

Corporate Management Trainee (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for less than a year

ProsFor someone just starting their, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else. Heinz invests in their employees and equips them with the tools to succeed. This isn't to say the work isn't hard. Expectations are high, but so are rewards. The vision and values for the company may seem like just part of a 3G takeover, but you can tell that senior management truly embody what Heinz stands for. The future of Heinz is positive and opportunities will be available for those employees looking to work hard.

ConsWork/Life Balance may seem hard. It is hard to stand out if you want to prioritize life outside of work while others around you are willing to put work first.

Heinz is not for everyone, and that is okay. The new Heinz feels like a startup where long hours are demanded, but the reward will be very high.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep getting people on board with the vision and look to move forward.

Amazing opportunities, ownership and meritocracy are more than just buzz words

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExciting opportunities for those willing to work hard, accept new challenges and embrace change. Ownership and meritocracy are more than just buzz words, you truly have the opportunity to define and grow your career here...I've seen more people promoted within the past year than I have in all previous years working at Heinz. My coworkers are the best I’ve worked with – incredibly dedicated, accountable to one another and passionate about achieving results.

ConsAs to be expected, there are pockets of employees within the organization who are unwilling to let go of the past and move forward.

Glad I got out

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Penn Pitt, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome of the smartest people I have ever worked with
Dedicated sales force
International assignments available

ConsSlow and avoidance to change
Not much of a support system from the manager
Senior management short sighted

Advice to Senior ManagementVery happy to have left on my own accord - as so many of my co-workers were dropped either in a large layoff or the major cutting that happened with the takeover. One of the biggest things I didn't get to see was your NEVER LET AN EMPLOYEE FAIL policy. It was what drew me to the company, but what I actually saw was try and make an employee fail at every opportunity you can. Little to no training in the field I was working in. No interest in change even though you were losing against competition on a regular basis. Why roll out plans only to cancel them all after the first quarter numbers come in? This creates a great deal of customer irritation of not being able to follow through. The "360" review process leaves little to be admired when it's always a one way street. Hardest place I ever worked with the least results. There is happiness after Heinz.

Lots of opportunity for those that embrace change

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Heinz full-time

ProsHeinz under its new ownership feels very much like a startup company. Employees are given amazing latitude to take on new areas of work and responsibility. Everything is based on meritocracy unlike the old Heinz which was driven by politics. If you perform, you get rewarded. I am young and feel there are endless opportunities for me at Heinz. Also I love the access I have to the new management team. I have had three meetings with the new CEO which was really motivating.

ConsThe company is going through a lot of change so you have to adadpt quickly. Biggest challenge for Heinz is old Heinz folks who are wedded to the past and don’t want to embrace the future. Hopefully they will all change their mindset or leave the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to demonstrate that you will reward those who outperform.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Amazing Employees

Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

ProsWhen I began working at Heinz, I took immediate note of how political the company was. It was run just like an "Old Boys Club." I would attend networking events with executives, and find that they were all tall white men with gray hair. Diversity was an absolute joke. There were also a lot of employees who spent more time gossiping than completing actual work.

Post acquisition, I experienced something vastly different. The fear of mass layoffs triggered a change in culture. Employees spoke more freely about outside job prospects, their like/dislike for how management was running the company, as well as how the brands were actually run. In my opinion, those employees who have stuck around during the last 9 months have developed a bond unlike what is normally seen in the traditional corporate world.

To Prospective Employees:
If you are young, eager to learn, make your "mark," and learn from some of the smartest most competent people in the CPG game, Heinz should absolutely be at the top of your potential employers list. There is ample opportunity for growth, through large responsibility scopes, access to executives, and honestly, being able to witness first hand how 3G Capital manages a company. Heinz is also a fairly "young and hip" workforce. It is no Google or Facebook, but most of the employees are in touch with what is "cool" and are willing to share a drink at happy hour after a long day of work.

There are currently a few executives, 3G placed as well as some "old Heinz" folk, who are some of the smartest people in the industry. Being able to work side by side with those people is a true blessing for someone who is looking to develop their skillsets.

You must must must be able to speak up if you current work/are considering working at Heinz. Each employee is encouraged to take on an ownership mentality. If you are gusty, smart, and use data to drive decisions, you will undoubtedly succeed.

ConsHeinz is not the place to work if you view work, as, well, just that. The new culture promotes HARD work, and that doesn't mean 9-5 hours are required, but its hard to excel when you are surrounded by people who will outwork you.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are some amazingly talented "old Heinz" employees that are being overlooked and extremely undercompensated. Before hiring any more investment bankers who don't fully grasp the business model and paying them hefty salaries, make sure you promote those from within and are willing to work hard. They already have the relationships in place to get the work done, and the know how to get it done correct.

Experience has been rewarding, fulfilling and challenging for the most part.

Research and Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat team - not all functions are the same
Flexible working environment

ConsInconsistent performance review system - this has changed a little too often
Management change and high turn over means very people know what they are doing at the moment
Too many things changing at the same time is causing too much distractions

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make employees feel valued
Clearly define Meritocracy and what goals individuals need to accomplish to get to the next level

Waiting to see where this goes

I have been working at Heinz

ProsMore focus on performance and rewarding it

ConsConstant change is exahusting at times

Good company but a suffocating environment for creativity, flexibility, growth and vision

Regional Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Heinz full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOperate at highest ethical standards. Have some very bright, hard working and inspiring people among the teams. Offer limitless opportunities to challenge oneself and valuable experience for anybody who wants to learn and improve in the industry.

ConsVery poor balance between work and life. Low recognition of achievements. Lack of clarity and guidance when it comes to planning. Not encouraging innovation and talent growth enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage people more. Make reward as important as criticism when it comes to performance. Provide clear and steady lines for planning. Give long term vision that people can relate to and not vision measured in currency.

Is a great place to start a career

Process Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Heinz full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work life balance. Opportunity to travel

ConsSome projects may not be the most exciting

Advice to Senior ManagementHighly friendly management

Worked for Heinz? Contribute to the Community!

Heinz Videos

Heinz – Why Work for Us?

The H.J. Heinz Company, headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has been producing high-quality foods for 145 years. Famous for our iconic brands on all continents, Heinz provides delicious, nutritious and convenient… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Heinz reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Heinz CEO Bernardo Hees . All 207 reviews are posted anonymously by Heinz employees.