Hays plc

Be The First To
Add Photos

Hays plc CEO Alistair R. Cox

Alistair R. Cox

Pros
  • Flexible approach to work life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Great training, International opportunities, good commission scheme (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Have to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable (in 8 reviews)

• When I left the senior management were not of this ilke and valued stats above all else (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Work hard and you'll be well rewarded

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

Pros-great people, very social atmosphere
    -successes are celebrated
    -meritocracy - hit your goals and be rewarded
    -very capable managers who lead my example
    -everyday is different, lots going on
    -clear feedback on your performance
    -great parties - annual sales conference is amazing!

Cons-it is a sales environment. true salespeople do extremely well and make a lot of money, those who aren't may feel stressed by constant targets and KPIs
    -support staff are not fairly recognized or appreciated

Not impressed with the company at all.

Credit Director (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThey answer their phone on a timely basis..

Cons..but do not give any pertinent info to would-be applicants. For example, when aked what industry sector this role is in, the answer was they are not at liberty to say.
    When asked what is salary range... same answer. Exclusivity? again, same silliness.
    Write-ups are not fully informative, Makes one feel that one is simply populating their databases.
    Not a big fan.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open, be honest, have integrity.

Recruitment Consultant

Recruitment Consultant (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsThere is an entrepreneurial culture, if you want to try something you are encourage (just make sure you are right). Fun, young work environment and social activities are encouraged.

ConsHave to work really long hours, and leaving at 5 is almost unacceptable. Micromanagement for the smallest tasks, although that changes heavily based on manager. High turnover, but that can be accredited to the entire recruitment industry. Lots of office gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers. Stop bringing people in from the UK in manager positions when you can promote from within or hire locally. Hiring strategy seems to be inconsistent as there is a lot of turnover which leads to low employee morale. Due to micromanagement almost every team is different.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Do Not Work Here.

Recruiter (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsLike any other large recruitment firm, it's a structured place to get your recruitment career started

ConsCompany culture
    Nobody watching managers
    Deceitful/underhanded mid and senior management
    Very few Canadians make it to management level

Pyramid Scheme Hidden in Fake non-monetary rewards..

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Alot of young people
    - Collaboration (due to the shared misery and lack of money)
    - Training

Cons- Only care about top 5% of the fee earners
    - The rich get richer

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and put them in their place of strength not necessarily where the company needs them.

Hays is a great organisation with fantastic career progression

Senior Business Manager (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsThe training you recieve is excellent and the company truly values itself on people. There is a real High performace culture within each team and reward is high for hard work and dedication

ConsAt times there can be a few to many channel leads meaning the reporting of figures can get repetitive.

Supportive and rewarding career at Hays

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Brighton, England (UK)

ProsFirstly the training at Hays is top notch; it gives you the best start at a job which can be very demanding. As a sales business there are high expectations for target hitting and they motivate you to successfully reach those expectations. They reward success and the commission structures are set to motivate you to want to do more!
    There is a real community feel within your team, office and even regionally or nationally, which is even more apparent when everyone meets for events and parties, of which there are quite a few!
    One of the things I love about the structure of Hays is that the job is so specialised, you really become an expert in your area, your clients and candidates get to know you and you become an ambassador for them, that’s a really special relationship to have with both clients and candidates.

ConsIts recruitment, there are always going to be ups and downs! When it’s great.. Oh, it’s great. When it’s bad, it can be a little soul destroying. Being so target driven does stress even the calmest of people out, but this suits me, I'm better working under pressure! The hours are long, so it can feel like you are married to your job, but when you place that candidate or win that client, it’s worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes the need for KPI's to be scrutinised all the time can be a bit stressful, on the odd week you might not have the time to be able to hit them and it can be hard to feel like you have done a good job if you are always being told you need to log everything!

New to recruitment, glad I'm with Hays

Recruitment Consultant (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsI've never worked in recruitment before so to have such an in depth training program and constant contact with a manager is a plus. Also being rewarded on success which brings out my competitive natue, which is then reflected in my progress and recognised by the whole office.

ConsSometimes things are not explained clearly enough or you will be told conflicting things by different people within the company. At the end of the day you have to go with whoevers opinion you think is best and be able to explain why.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe clearer with expectations and consequences. Explain benefits better, rather than a hazy picture that we then realise we can't reach.

Fantastic place to work - suits progressive and career driven people

ProsBest training in the business, complete career path which is well structured and defined to encourage you to strive to the best of your ability. Strong team environment with the ability to run your own business within the remits of a large corporate that supports you. Strong supportive teams that take pride in training new starters and seeing them succeed.

ConsHigh expecatations from the start - tough interview process but this is to ensure that people that that get through have the drive and ambition to succeed.

Excellent place to work

Internal Recruitment (Current Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsExcellent career opportunities with great benefits if you are like me and love to go on holiday I have been able to buy a extra 5 days. No only is the the job rewarding Hays also have great incentives I have been to Malta and Lisbon all paid for via Hays. Hays is a very sociable place to work with great management support.

ConsChallenges understanding your market but with the support from the region you soon become an expert, Hays offer the best training.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead from the front

Worked for Hays plc? Contribute to the Community!